• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'll take the ACR over the SCAR-L please.

Vitorum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
TN
So I got a chance to fire these weapons for the first time yesterday and man was it fun. Very very close if you ask me as far as recoil and accuracy are concerned. But the feel of the ACR was so much more to my liking. One thing I absolutely do NOT like about the SCAR is the live charge handle. Yes if your careful you wont rip your thumb off if you like to use the mag-hold grip position. But I like my thumb, and I didn't have to worry about that with the ACR seeing as it cycles internally. The ACR is just more sleek and well rounded where as the SCAR is boxy and a bit rough around the edges. But that is my personal take on it. No offence to anyone who likes the SCAR better. To each his own I always say. What's your input from those of you who have fired these two?

downsized_1030111434a.jpg

downsized_1030111434.jpg

Re: I'll take the ACR over the SCAR-L please.

Very interesting...first time I've heard that take. Not shot either, but am fascinated by both, so I look forward to this discussion.

I found the ACR to be very front heavy (I only tried the basic version) and I didn't care for the integrated pistol grip and wobble on some of the parts. I also found the scar to be more accurate but I only tried BH 77g red box 556. That being said, I think if you can pick up the ACR around 1400-1600 then it offers a better value than any of its competitors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found the ACR to be very front heavy (I only tried the basic version) and I didn't care for the integrated pistol grip and wobble on some of the parts. I also found the scar to be more accurate but I only tried BH 77g red box 556. That being said, I think if you can pick up the ACR around 1400-1600 then it offers a better value than any of its competitors. </div></div>

Dont they also plan on offering it in 6.8 spc and/or 7.62x39? I like it being a little heavy in the front. It seems to tame the recoil a bit.

Who uses the magwell grip anymore?

I also liked the ACR over the SCAR. The ACR is nice but it doesn't do anything for me a regular old AR15 won't so I doubt I would own one any time soon but if I came across a deal on one I'd probably scarf it up.

I own the SCAR, owned the XCR, and wouldnt own the ACR because it handled like crap to me. Felt VERY front heavy and clunky. Ill give it that I like the looks the best....but I dont buy on looks.

ETA I didnt gel with the SCAR that well initially either and shot my Colt 6940 considerably better than any of them. Then one day like a light switch the SCAR just started running like a raped ape for me. Not sure what I changed but it is performing very well for me now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own the SCAR, owned the XCR, and wouldnt own the ACR because it handled like crap to me. Felt VERY front heavy and clunky. Ill give it that I like the looks the best....but I dont buy on looks.

ETA I didnt gel with the SCAR that well initially either and shot my Colt 6940 considerably better than any of them. Then one day like a light switch the SCAR just started running like a raped ape for me. Not sure what I changed but it is performing very well for me now. </div></div>

What do you mean by clunky? like unstable?

I don't see how anybody could call anything clanky after using a SCAR. The stock and folding mechanism on those seem fragile, I had better feeling toy guns as a kid from toys-r-us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see how anybody could call anything clanky after using a SCAR. The stock and folding mechanism on those seem fragile, I had better feeling toy guns as a kid from toys-r-us. </div></div>

Ya that's what got me as well. Great example btw.

No offense taken. Thanks for sharing.

My issue with the ACRs I have owned is that the barrel assembly moves once its ratcheted down and is not tight. Try yours and see grab the muzzle and try to movie it.

Also the ACRs front sight is attached to the foregrip and not the gas block like the SCAR meaning that the front sight on the scar travels with the barrel. Becuase of the barrel movement on the ACR, I feel the front sight could be off or less dependable.

The weight of the ACR is more and the plastic safety switch was way too easy to flip. No resistance at all. Some may like this..

As for the charging handle.. Yea the SCARs moves, but you can change it to the other side if its a big problem. Never was really to me.

SCAR's BUIS are higher quality IMO.

FN not putting out replacement barrels is a huge downside to me and they dont care, but bushmasters customer service aint exactly what I call friendly either from my experiences.

Still .. I am glad you like your ACR. I do like the ergonomics of the rifle and think with a few mods it would be a very nice rifle.

Also let me know if you decide to sell your SCAR. I am in the market for another one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense taken. Thanks for sharing.

My issue with the ACRs I have owned is that the barrel assembly moves once its ratcheted down and is not tight. Try yours and see grab the muzzle and try to movie it.

Also the ACRs front sight is attached to the foregrip and not the gas block like the SCAR meaning that the front sight on the scar travels with the barrel. Becuase of the barrel movement on the ACR, I feel the front sight could be off or less dependable.

The weight of the ACR is more and the plastic safety switch was way too easy to flip. No resistance at all. Some may like this..

As for the charging handle.. Yea the SCARs moves, but you can change it to the other side if its a big problem. Never was really to me.

SCAR's BUIS are higher quality IMO.

FN not putting out replacement barrels is a huge downside to me and they dont care, but bushmasters customer service aint exactly what I call friendly either from my experiences.

Still .. I am glad you like your ACR. I do like the ergonomics of the rifle and think with a few mods it would be a very nice rifle.

Also let me know if you decide to sell your SCAR. I am in the market for another one.

</div></div>

I like your point there about the front sight. I never thought about that. Switching the charge handle is a good suggestion as well. Sorry I'm not in the market for selling the SCAR or ACR because they are not mine. I was with a friend who let me test fire them. Wish they were though. Both sexy guns overall.

Clunky, not clanky. Like wielding an out of balance shape. As far as the stock on the SCAR, well Im behind enemy lines so mine is pinned in position. So mine is very solid. To me the SCAR feels like a carbon fiber piece like a mountain bike. Low weight and strong. Another thing that I really hated about the ACR was the Ambi safety that stuck right into my trigger finger/knuckle. Probably an aftermarket fix for this? The recipricating handle has never bothered me on the SCAR doing many different firing position including strong and weak side baricades and various prone positions. What did take getting used to was the very different recoil characteristics of the SCAR. It doesnt really recoil per se but that heavy bolt going back and forth did rock the rifle. I suspect a little changeup of my shooting position of this rifle is why it has caught up to my AR15's for speed an accuracy. The SCAR isnt without SCARS either. I think the way the side rails are mounted is retardid and I think its rediculas that the side rails are plastic on a rifle at this price point!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clunky, not clanky. Like wielding an out of balance shape. As far as the stock on the SCAR, well Im behind enemy lines so mine is pinned in position. So mine is very solid. To me the SCAR feels like a carbon fiber piece like a mountain bike. Low weight and strong. Another thing that I really hated about the ACR was the Ambi safety that stuck right into my trigger finger/knuckle. Probably an aftermarket fix for this? The recipricating handle has never bothered me on the SCAR doing many different firing position including strong and weak side baricades and various prone positions. What did take getting used to was the very different recoil characteristics of the SCAR. It doesnt really recoil per se but that heavy bolt going back and forth did rock the rifle. I suspect a little changeup of my shooting position of this rifle is why it has caught up to my AR15's for speed an accuracy. The SCAR isnt without SCARS either. I think the way the side rails are mounted is retardid and I think its rediculas that the side rails are plastic on a rifle at this price point! </div></div>

Hm you have some very interesting points. Thanks for sharing

ACR for me, SCAR 16 is nice but I prefer my ACR. The SCAR 17 is quite a handy 308 though, very little weight and felt recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrickPony29</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ACR for me, SCAR 16 is nice but I prefer my ACR. The SCAR 17 is quite a handy 308 though, very little weight and felt recoil. </div></div>

I would really like to fire the SCAR 17. I love the 308. I like the look of the ACR better and really wish they would make a civilian version of the hopefully to soon to be released Magpul massoud. But I fear my hopes are in vein.

I had the LMT MWS and the SCAR17 at the same time. They got busy in the safe and hatched a KAC EMC. I kept the kid and got rid of the parants
laugh.gif
. In fairness to the SCAR17 I didnt get enough trigger time behind it before it went back to the guy I bought it from who got back on his feet and asked me to sell it back to him. So far the EMC has been great! The MWS was very good as well but was nose heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the LMT MWS and the SCAR17 at the same time. They got busy in the safe and hatched a KAC EMC. I kept the kid and got rid of the parants
laugh.gif
. In fairness to the SCAR17 I didnt get enough trigger time behind it before it went back to the guy I bought it from who got back on his feet and asked me to sell it back to him. So far the EMC has been great! The MWS was very good as well but was nose heavy. </div></div>

All 3 are superb guns, however the LMT is a bit too nose heavy for my personal tastes. All 3 are superb shooters, accurate and the LMT and KAC have great triggers, the SCAR really needs the Super Scar trigger as an almost mandatory upgrade. My personal favorite is the 17 simply because I shoot suppressed the majority of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the LMT MWS and the SCAR17 at the same time. They got busy in the safe and hatched a KAC EMC. I kept the kid and got rid of the parants
laugh.gif
. In fairness to the SCAR17 I didnt get enough trigger time behind it before it went back to the guy I bought it from who got back on his feet and asked me to sell it back to him. So far the EMC has been great! The MWS was very good as well but was nose heavy. </div></div>

All 3 are superb guns, however the LMT is a bit too nose heavy for my personal tastes. All 3 are superb shooters, accurate and the LMT and KAC have great triggers, the SCAR really needs the Super Scar trigger as an almost mandatory upgrade. My personal favorite is the 17 simply because I shoot suppressed the majority of the time. </div></div>

I'm just curious and I would love to do so as well but, why do you shoot suppressed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the LMT MWS and the SCAR17 at the same time. They got busy in the safe and hatched a KAC EMC. I kept the kid and got rid of the parants
laugh.gif

All 3 are superb guns, however the LMT is a bit too nose heavy for my personal tastes. All 3 are superb shooters, accurate and the LMT and KAC have great triggers, the SCAR really needs the Super Scar trigger as an almost mandatory upgrade. My personal favorite is the 17 simply because I shoot suppressed the majority of the time. </div></div>

I'm just curious and I would love to do so as well but, why do you shoot suppressed? </div></div>

Not a whole lot of space here in NOVA to shoot, the one place locally where I can shoot outdoors the property owner requested that I try not to bother the neighbors. It's either that or drive an hour west to my parents but with DC area traffic sometimes that 1 hour becomes 3.

Great write up!

I have about 4050 rounds through my ACR and couldn't be more satisfied with it. The built in ambi B.A.D. lever and mag release are perfect and the Ergos just can't be beat. I would highly recommend going the SBR route due to the nose heavy factor. The SCAR is exceptionally light and certainly a respectable weapon, but the reciprocating charging handle is a deal breaker for me. An LE friend of mine was running one through a course and the CH contacted a barricade and caused a FTF.

photo7a.jpg

photo4a-1.jpg

photo1b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kjsl105</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great write up!

I have about 4050 rounds through my ACR and couldn't be more satisfied with it. The SCAR is certainly a respectable weapon but the reciprocating charging handle is a deal breaker for me. An LE friend of mine was running one through a course and the CH contacted a barricade and caused a FTE.

photo7a.jpg

photo4a-1.jpg

photo1b.jpg

</div></div>

WOW! She is a beauty. Love the tactical gear btw. Very nice. But ya I agree with you about the charge handle. Not very well thought out imo by FN.

Xris, your statement is incorrect when you say it wasnt well thought out by FN. It was a CUSTOMER requirement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Xris, your statement is incorrect when you say it wasnt well thought out by FN. It was a CUSTOMER requirement. </div></div>

Exactly.

Seems like the only people who don't like the SCAR CH (similarly, they are the ones who don't like the Forward assist on the M16) are those who've never had mud in their actions.

I really like the ability to have positive control of the entire bolt carrier, apparently I'm not alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Xris, your statement is incorrect when you say it wasnt well thought out by FN. It was a CUSTOMER requirement. </div></div>

Really? huh. I didn't know that. My bad. Thanks for informing me of that.

Im sure there are those on this forum that could shed more light on why Socom required the reciprocating handle. I dont know why they made it a requirement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im sure there are those on this forum that could shed more light on why Socom required the reciprocating handle. I dont know why they made it a requirement. </div></div>

Ya I cant think of any necessary reason.

Well... it is in a sense foward assist. Its also not much different, if you have it on the right side, as an AK or M14.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well... it is in a sense foward assist. Its also not much different, if you have it on the right side, as an AK or M14. </div></div>

This is very true. They are both sexy, I just prefer the ACRs look over the scar. I didn't get as much time with them as I wanted so keep in mind, my opinion is based on very little experience with these firearms. Those are just some things I noticed right off.

i look hard the scar but trigger set up sux with spare parts another hire ball ....scar heavy has its own troubles like the mag design -it should have been the m-110/magpul - easier logistics!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cz777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i look hard the scar but trigger set up sux with spare parts another hire ball ....scar heavy has its own troubles like the mag design -it should have been the m-110/magpul - easier logistics!! </div></div>

Oh wow it wont accept the Magpul magazine. That's lame. I just wish they would release the massoud and make a civilian version.
*drools*
2H4MiwSCok9kgpbreopbgzySo1_1280.jpg

What about the SCAR SSR? Is that available to civilians?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eurodriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Who uses the magwell grip anymore? </div></div>

I do. What happened people only used it when they saw it on tv or something and then stopped?