• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Im gonna ask. Should i get an AK?

Re: Im gonna ask. Should i get an AK?

Yeah cant i just refinish the wood on a WAST and have okay wood, and the rifle will work fine as long as the front sight and gas block are on straight and the trunnion is straight too?

Dude the WASR is gonna work fine, period. Most people think the Yugos are a little nicer, for maybe $50 more. They're heavier, which is either good or bad, depending on your outlook. It's another CAI build. They are also very common.

Just look for a Yugo or WASR, get one where all the stuff is straight, and you're GTG. But seriously, if all the parts aren't on straight, don't buy it--there are millions of these things out there.

Also, get a wood stock if you can. The underfolders do fold up nice and short but they are usually harder to get a good cheek weld and they are a little harder on your face when you shoot them. But its also a preference thing.

Anyway, don't sweat all this bs. Refinish the stock? Sure. If you want something to do while you're watching TV. But seriously, don't sweat this bullshite. Get a straight WASR or Yugo and be done with it. If the bug bites you, you can always buy a nicer one. That's the way I did it and sometimes I wonder why I own these expensive AKs when my Yugos run awesome, I can go pig hunting in the rain and I don't care what happens to the finish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If I had to emigrate to another planet and one gun only, it would be an AK, hands down. A child's first serious gun should be an AK. There is just so little they can do to it to stop it from working. Its dependence on maintenance, or not, is legendary. How many million of them are there in the world?

One more word of praise: Galil.

Greg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXtransplant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude the WASR is gonna work fine, period. Most people think the Yugos are a little nicer, for maybe $50 more. They're heavier, which is either good or bad, depending on your outlook. It's another CAI build. They are also very common.

Just look for a Yugo or WASR, get one where all the stuff is straight, and you're GTG. But seriously, if all the parts aren't on straight, don't buy it--there are millions of these things out there.

Also, get a wood stock if you can. The underfolders do fold up nice and short but they are usually harder to get a good cheek weld and they are a little harder on your face when you shoot them. But its also a preference thing.

Anyway, don't sweat all this bs. Refinish the stock? Sure. If you want something to do while you're watching TV. But seriously, don't sweat this bullshite. Get a straight WASR or Yugo and be done with it. If the bug bites you, you can always buy a nicer one. That's the way I did it and sometimes I wonder why I own these expensive AKs when my Yugos run awesome, I can go pig hunting in the rain and I don't care what happens to the finish.
</div></div>oh and as for finish on these, one word, krylon.

I picked up my M70 underfolder for $450 and change. It was originally bought and had 300 rounds thru it. I have no complaints. It runs like a scalded dog and will NOT fail.

They want 420 out the door for the Century RomAKs around here.

Thats a fair price, but if you've got cash you can usually work them down a little more. I'd just find out what their transfer fee is and simply imply that your going to transfer one and save 50-75$ and Im sure they'll try and get your buisness.

My local FFL has great sticker prices to begin with but always works with me and sends me out the door with a giant smile on my face. It doesn't hurt to haggle.

They want 429.99 credit card and 399.99 cash. But tax brings it right around 420 I believe.

I'm gonna try to talk them to 400 cash out the door.

I know I have alotta questions, but I can't find a recommendation for a scope mount. Where should I look for a good mount for a reflex type sight? I want wood furniture and no obnoxious rails all over my gun

Ultimak There was a guy on here last week or so with 3 for sale. Or go with the Kvar side mount deal.

damn, expensive. im probably gonna go with the KVar mount.

i was looking for the side mount type. ill post some pics of my AK in a sec, thanks for all the help

Unless you have an AK with an original rail on the side, I haven't seen one that doesn't shift slightly when shooting, Ultimax included. The KVAR side mount I bought worked well for me. Locked up tightly and never shifted.

The UltiMAK gas tube rail I'm using is rock solid and I've
never read of a properly installed UltiMAK coming loose.

IMG_2561.jpg

im gonna be using a red dot sight, its there an advantage to mounting it on the gas tube over the KVAR riser type?

You can co-witness your irons with the Aimpoint Micro/UltiMAK combo.
You can also co-witness irons through other Aimpoint red dots that mount low.

T56SHTF-07-2010023.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The UltiMAK gas tube rail I'm using is rock solid and I've
never read of a properly installed UltiMAK coming loose.

T56SHTF-07-2010025.jpg
</div></div>

That look good..

Any AK that you get is going to be fine. I owned almost everything down the line from a $250 WASR to a $1500 Polytech Legend (before the Obama rush). I have never had a single problem with ANY AK that I've ever owned. Albeit I've taken care of them, but Century's I've never had a problem with either. I've bought some that I've handled, and some online. They just work, period. I actually like WASR's because you get to put a little elbow grease into it to make it into something beautiful. You can't really do that to a higher end gun because a) it's already been done, or b) if you customize it you'll decrease the value because you take the originality away from it. That being said here are some pros/cons of some common AK's.

WASR- Stamped sheet metal receiver. Some of them have excessive mag wobble because they were originally imported with single stack mags, but CAI cut away room to accept double stack mags. Some have more material taken away then others which produces the excessive mag wobble. WASR's have also been known to have canted front sights. This is where the sight tower is leaning to one side or the other, which makes it hard to get a good sight picture. WASR's also can sometimes have a canted gas tube which could cause unnecessary grinding/problems from the piston each time the rifle is fired. However all these problems can be caught if you look for them when handling the AK. Other than that they are cheap and always work (for me anyways)

Yugo- Yugo's are great as well. They use a little thicker 1.5mm receiver (IIRC that's what RPK receivers are as well) so they tend to feel a little more solid then sheet metal ones (but also heavier). They have a little nicer finish then the WASR's, and also have the grenade launcher attachment. I believe they also use a thicker barrel IIRC. I haven't had any problems with this one either. For $100-$150 more you won't have to "worry" as much. Most of the Yugo's I've seen don't have the problems mentioned that WASR's do. Again, just inspect and you should be good to go.

MAK90- I think these are the best bang for the buck. Chinese receivers also use the 1.5mm receivers, and also use thicker barrels. I also like how the front sight post has a complete hood over it. This is good incase a piano falls from the sky and happens to land on your gun, your sight post will still be good to go. The mags fit snug and run great. The only thing a MAK doesn't have is a bayo lug and typically not a threaded barrel. However you could get it threaded if you really wanted to. I also really like the blued finish over he parked IMO.

Then you have the higher dollar ones, usually custom built unless it's a preban. Won't find any problems typical with the lower end ones.

Basic over view, but just get an AK, shoot the hell out of it, and then trade it for another one. They last forever, and there's a reason why then call it "the real weapon of mass destruction" because it works.

I'm pretty impressed with the build of the Century I got. It feels solid as hell. I checked it all out before I bought it and I'm happy with it. I don't anticipate any problems

Good work dude. Enjoy that motherf-er.

Best mags I've found for price/quality are the steel euro surplus from various countries, I usually get the steel follower, I got some of the Bulgarian steel ones with the polymer follower and they feel a bit cheesy, though they work.

The Romanian mags seem to work well, I think Copes has them right now used for $9.99 each (just called European surplus). And supposedly the "Chinese" mags that were imported by way of Yugoslavia are super good, though I've never used them, they've got them for $12.99 each. Generally you shouldn't pay more than ten bucks each for used AK mags or absolute max of $15 each for really good new ones. Often if you're patient you can find the used ones for 8 bucks each.

Good luck and enjoy it.

I heard the bulgarian ones are the way to go and ordered ten for 7 bucks a piece. Figured I can't go wrong for that price.

I have 1 ak its a 74 from krebs.Iam very happy with the piece,no problems at all.
Pricey though.The 74 round has very little recoil.

i say any weapon that the Iraqi's can bury for 50 years, and then dig up and use like a champ in their crappy enviroment. well then its good enough for me :)i have a Romanian Sar-1 cousin to the AK47 bought it for around $300 a few years back. have shot 300 rounds through it. and i was lazy and didnt clean it for a month ran another 200 rounds through it just fine. i personaly believe that any true shooter, or collector must have some type of AK
smile.gif