• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm having trouble with length

louu

The only NON methhead in NJ
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2020
Yeah yeah this should bring some good jokes but seriously...

I'm trying to load up some berger 155.5 fullbore bullets. I used the Hornady OAL tool and came up with 3.030 to the lands.

The rifle is a Tikka 308 in a mdt acc chassis using the plastic mdt mags. I'm pretty sure they are the aics mags but I'm probably wrong because I'm dead tired working this night shift.

I've heard that most guys like .030 jump on average with these bullets but that would put me at three inches and that obviously won't fit in the magazine. I found on the berger website that they make factory rounds with this bullet (discontinued) and they measure 2.920. I made one that length and it wouldn't fit in the magazine. Not to mention the fact that it would be .110" jump.

Idk exactly off the top of my head right now what length fits the magazine but I think it's somewhere around 2.800". That would give me .230" jump. Is that okay? I would assume not?

I should have said I've heard that most guys START around .030" jump with these bullets. I haven't gotten to that point of finding the jump accuracy. I'm still obviously working on just a starting place to work on my powder node.

Try some and see.
Likely the other measurements you have seen are for Palma rifles which are single feed.

The specs on the now discontinued Berger ammo using that bullet:

Try some and see.
Likely the other measurements you have seen are for Palma rifles which are single feed.

The specs on the now discontinued Berger ammo using that bullet:
Yeah the Palma guys were telling me to start around .030.

So do you think I should start with the .230 junp? Would that make the throat wear faster?

8 hours and no one took advantage of this yet? We need to lighten up in the reloading depot. 😁

images.jpg

Metal mags without binderplate allow 2.960

Test it and see where it shoots best. That could dictate what you need as far as a mag.

They be plum tuckered out from stompin on Archie's pee pee down in the "Pit"........ pray this thread makes it to page 2 before they get rested up😅
I can't believe that guys is still here lol
Metal mags without binderplate allow 2.960

Test it and see where it shoots best. That could dictate what you need as far as a mag.
Unfortunately I have to use the binder plate style. I only have one of the metal mags. It measuses at 2.890"

You can jump .200" and be accurate. You need to learn to live with the length you have. Pulling on it wont change the effect.

Reactions: louu
Seriously though, if it is indeed that much jump, dont sweat it. Most bullets go in and out of accuracy as you move farther out. The locations seem to vary. Do Mark Gordons length test in lengths that fit in your mag, and you will find something.

Unfortunately I have to use the binder plate style. I only have one of the metal mags. It measuses at 2.890"

Get the dremel out and make space to clear without a binder plate. Or jump em a mile and hope it works better. But I’d test and see what’s best shooting then work to accommodate that rather than handicapping myself right away.
B19E6629-A997-467A-AF31-FB2FF346888E.jpeg

Seriously though, if it is indeed that much jump, dont sweat it. Most bullets go in and out of accuracy as you move farther out. The locations seem to vary. Do Mark Gordons length test in lengths that fit in your mag, and you will find something.

Get the dremel out and make space to clear without a binder plate. Or jump em a mile and hope it works better. But I’d test and see what’s best shooting then work to accommodate that rather than handicapping myself right away.
View attachment 7740234
Thanks guys I guess I'll start around 2.850".