• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR powder

Little gator

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2014
After a crap load of looking the only powder I can find in stock is IMR....has anyone had experience with this powder? Im sure it's not as good as hodgdons powders, but from the website I'm guessing its a sister company or something.

Anyways should I pick some up or wait for the hodg to get in? I'm looking to develop superb loads for my rifle. Not mass produce crap that just shoots.

After a crap load of looking the only powder I can find in stock is IMR....has anyone had experience with this powder? Im sure it's not as good as hodgdons powders, but from the website I'm guessing its a sister company or something.

Anyways should I pick some up or wait for the hodg to get in? I'm looking to develop superb loads for my rifle. Not mass produce crap that just shoots.

I had the same problem. The two powders are almost identical, but the Hodgdon is slightly better.

IMR powder

You might want to ask about a specific powder. Otherwise it will be hard for people to give you meaningful advice:

You mention a brand, then state that you are sure it's not as good as the brand you want. Then you ask if you should buy it. Are you simply taking a poll of 'Yes' and 'No' replies, or are you seeking a very specific response to a very vague question?

[...All I can see is Ford. Does anyone have experience with Ford? I'm sure it's not as good as Chevy, anyway should I buy it?!! Because I want a really good car, not something that just drives.]

I had the same problem. The two powders are almost identical, but the Hodgdon is slightly better.
Seriously?!

OP, now you see the problem:

"The two powders are almost identical (which two/how are they 'almost' identical) but one is better (in which way/for what purpose/ under what conditions/how)."

An opinion about something not specific enough about which to be able to articulate an opinion.

Last edited:
You might want to ask about a specific powder. Otherwise it will be hard for people to give you meaningful advice:

You mention a brand, then state that you are sure it's not as good as the brand you want. Then you ask if you should buy it. Are you simply taking a poll of 'Yes' and 'No' replied, or are you seeking a detailed response about a generalization?

[...All I can see is Ford. Does anyone have experience with Ford? I'm sure it's not as good as Chevy, anyway should I buy it?!! Because I want a really good car, not do thing that just drives.]

Good point...that was retarded broad. well how's this,

The hodg powders are benchmark or cfh223(what I want) the IMR is 3031 and 4043 (it's what I can find) loading .224 69 gr bullet for a .223.

I've been shooting factory for 15+ years and feel its time to step up my game.

Better? Yes?

I was talking about 4350. H4350 is slightly better because it performs more consistently under temperature variations. Other than that the two powders have nearly identical velocity for load %, in some reloading manual I have read this is a general situation. He didn't say a specific powder type so I didn't either. Also, Hodgdon literally owns IMR and a few other brands.

Last edited:
IMR was selling powder before H.. started....I believe H... bought out IMR ( dupont ...who at one time dominated the industry along with Win....).... a few years ago.... lotsa shortages lately..... when you find it...buy a bunch...
OMHO

IMR was selling powder before H.. started....I believe H... bought out IMR ( dupont ...who at one time dominated the industry along with Win....).... a few years ago.... lotsa shortages lately..... when you find it...buy a bunch...
OMHO

I came across 16 pounds of H4350 a few months ago, but didn't have the money to buy any.

Hodgdon DISTRIBUTES several brands.

They not not make most of the smokeless powders they sell.

If your asking about IMR as far as buying some, yes go for it, I use a lot of 4350 and 4064 with great results.

There are many different powders sold by numerous makers and they all have their applications.

I don't know where you got the idea that IMR powder is crap, but you are sadly mistaken.

Well thanks? For the info. Wasn't quite what I was hoping for but hope in one hand.

As stated I'm just getting into this, so does anyone have an IMR powder they founds works with .223? And could maybe compare it to hodg powder.

Again thanks for helping a noob. With prices and demand I'd rather not dick around with bs or a wrong ave

IMR 3031 works good, in gas and bolt guns. Heavier bullets.

Last edited:
I really like the IMR 4895. I use it in 2 different .223's. An AR w/ 18" 1-8 twist and a bolt gun with 18" 1-9 twist barrel. Shoot both 50gr V Max and 69gr SMK very accurately with this powder. It shoots very well in .308 with 150-168gr bullets as well.

IMR 4198 is a faster powder and shoots decent with the 50gr bullets, and IMR 4320 is slower (right next to Varget on the chart) and it shoots the 69gr and heavier bullets pretty decent.

Ive developed a few loads with IMR4007SSC for .223 based on its not so similarities to Varget. They seem to work well enough for what Ive used them for so far, a generic 3 gun load while still working to get a chronograph to test velocities before going further.

Ive also have loads in both 4198 powders, and the differences in loads are easily adjusted to match velocities, and fair weather temp differences seem minimal. I havent done any significant shooting in the cold, and all my chrono data in fair weather was at a friends range with his chrono, and his chrono is no longer available, wrong person borrowed it, and shot the thing. Ive avoided buying one since his was always available until recently, and I was less concerned with velocity of a load as accuracy/consistency when developing.

Last edited:
I always see a lot of talk when it comes to stuff like this mostly powders. And guys talking about that temperature change between powders being such a fraction and how huge it alters their results..

Then 4 months later you see their groups are 1MOA at best. Then it makes you think... How did they notice that 1% change when they can't even shoot that 1%?

OP both are quality powders. But like everything else in every hobby some people buy something then become biased to all hell. I see both in stock at times and both sell out at times. Which ever you can find in stock or cheaper grab it

All the common powders are commonly used for a reason. Also as far as company vs company is a stupid question (no offense intended) but the same company ie IMR makes 4064 and 4895 and the same argue kent as above can be made of performance and changes. So your arguing apples to Cadillacs at this point.

Look up good load data and people who have had good success with powders and cartridges and just run with it.

Also I believe you stated you want to load for 223. Go H335.

Loading 223 I've used Varget H335 and IMR4895. I like H335 because it throws better than Varget and the (specific) IMR I use and with H335 at 25.0 gr it has some decent results. Many others have found 25.0 behind a 55gr in 223 shoots well as well. Seems to be a good all around load.

With IMR I just make plink waste rounds so I can't really say good or bad about it because I loaded them fast and sloppy and the Varget had decent results as well. But again doesn't throw as we'll and I have a limited supply so for time and supply same I prefer H335 and have good results.

But work your way up so I don't get sued for blowing your face off.

But I have no issue running or buying IMR, Hogdon or AA powders. All depends in my load I'm working, what type and my use for that load.

I use Varget (.223/5.56), H-4350 (.260 + .280 Rem), and H-4831SC (.280 Rem) from Hodgdon, with IMR-4198 (.30BR + 7.62x39), and IMR-4064 (7.62x54R) from IMR.

I find that as long as loads are kept moderate, I have fewer temperature issues.

Greg

Last edited:
I really like the IMR 4895. I use it in 2 different .223's. An AR w/ 18" 1-8 twist and a bolt gun with 18" 1-9 twist barrel. Shoot both 50gr V Max and 69gr SMK very accurately with this powder. It shoots very well in .308 with 150-168gr bullets as well.

IMR 4198 is a faster powder and shoots decent with the 50gr bullets, and IMR 4320 is slower (right next to Varget on the chart) and it shoots the 69gr and heavier bullets pretty decent.

This has been my experience as well, that being said, Varget and Reloder 15 are very popular in 5.56/.223 always work up...

IMR4320 is almost the same as Varget. Most of my loads are the same between those powders (with comparable results too)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I couldn't find H1000 or Retumbo for a switch-barrel 7-300WM / 300WM, so I bought 16lbs of 7828ssc. It's burn rate is in the neighborhood of H1000 so I'm hoping it works good, otherwise I have 2 8-pound paperweights....

The hodg powders are benchmark or cfh223(what I want) the IMR is 3031 and 4043 (it's what I can find) loading .224 69 gr bullet for a .223.

Better? Yes?

first off - varget is more suitable than benchmark for 223 69 gr, but many have found IMR xbr8208 better than any of the hodgden powders for 69 and 77 gr .223

the velocity king, up to 3100 with 69 gr, will be AA2520 - ( likely used in 69 gr FGMM ) , but as always, double base high velocity powders are temp sensitive - TAC is a good compromise and can make match grade ammo without weighing each load

R15 may be the easiest to find a good load, but forget it, cannot get it anyway

something more to chew, on the way down the hand loading rabbit hole

Last edited:
IMR 4064 is utter CRAP! Don't buy it! Yep, when you see 8# jugs come in stock, don't be tempted. Just leave them in inventory, and notify ME!

IMR 4350 hard to meter, great for accuracy in mid case capacity cases such as the -06 based cases

IMR powder

I wouldn't run Varget in a gas gun unless I could adjust the gas port or gas flow. That said, I use the 4831s interchangeably in bolt guns. You might have enough of a difference between 4350s to have to change the load slightly. I like faster powders, and ball powders, for 68-9gr in .223, though.

Better? Yes?

IMR 8208 (XBR) is a great powder for .223 if you can find it.
It is as temp stable as Varget and has flash suppressant.
I use it in my Surefire braked Noveske with 55, 69 and 77gr pills.
It gives sub MOA accuracy and no flash whatsoever.

Is referring to a bullet as a pill a technical term or is it jargon? I thinks its funny, but I don't know if I am suppose to take it seriously.

I always thought jargon and tech was the same thing :p but I'm pretty sure it's just slang.

Well thanks guys.
I'm heading to the store(s) later to see what I can find. I think I saw a few lbs of 3031 and 4164 at vances. Il post what I find where if anyone's in ohio and in the market.

Hodgen owns IMR. The plant for both is in rural KS. I have had great luck with both brands and try to only shoot Hodgen, IMR, or Win powders

Is referring to a bullet as a pill a technical term or is it jargon? I thinks its funny, but I don't know if I am suppose to take it seriously.

It's like running my fingernails over a chalkboard when I see someone refer to a bullet as a "pill".

"Oboy I'm gonna show how "cool" I am by calling a bullet something it's not"

It's like running my fingernails over a chalkboard when I see someone refer to a bullet as a "pill".

"Oboy I'm gonna show how "cool" I am by calling a bullet something it's not"

I don't think it's the cool factor. Pill is 4 letters bullet is 6. I would chalk it up to Inate lazyness. But come on... " u no it teh shit to use slang wordz" :cool:

Although it dose give new meaning to the frase "take a chill pill" I must say I like the implacations

Sorry if the substitution of the word pill in reference to a bullet offends or infuriates you but a simple search of this site alone will bring up hundreds of examples.
Does the use of the word "boolit" also drive you nuts?

I can't see it being anywhere near the same as when people cannot properly use the words there, their, or they're.

Actually, IMR, which stands for Improved Rifle Powder, is perfectly suitable in any application where a shooter has previously been using a "H" product. It's kind of unfortunate that they use the same numbers, occasionally. Even AA is guilty of it, (I think?) they market a 4350 powder, which is slightly different than either H4350 or IMR4350. But, as far as quality, and dependability, it's a Ford/Chevy issue. Sometimes the IMR powder offers slightly better performance and sometimes it's the reverse. And, you never know if one will peak faster in a particular barrel, or will group better, but it sure doesn't hurt to try both. After saying all that, I confess to being partial towards H4350 and H4831 over the IMR versions. BB

Sorry I missed the memo that IMR was inferiority to Hodgen.

PM me next time.

I guess I will just have to shoot up all my IMR 4895 fast now.

I am not a master reloaded but IMR 4350 Winchester brass and a 200 SMK out of a 300 win mag was the go to round for competitions for a long time. As far as it not being a quality powder click around and search Skip Talbot he held the recorded for a long time.
There are prob advancements and all but it still does the job for me, I use that round when we have a 300 that just isn't doing its job well enough if that wont shoot we really start looking at the rifle.

I chuckle when I hear boolit, tips, pill, etc... Different slang, who cares? After thinking on it for awhile, IMO, pill should only be used for rounds that are going to be used on something that requires an attitude adjustment, or a correction of sorts. Notice I said something!

I'm an old timer, Hodgdon started out selling surplus GI powder. IMR bought Dupont which started out making black powder. Hodgdon does not make powder they sell it. They also own IMR now. I use all brands for one thing or another, even those Johnny come lately Accurate Arms guys. Don't be afraid to buy IMR powder it was the benchmark for many years. Try their 8208 and 4895 in your 223. The only downside is, it is an extruded powder that does not like powder measures.

I've been using 4064 in my .308 loads and haven't had any problems. I'm using 41.5 gr with 175 smk. I've hit out to 1200 yards with no problems. For me...its pistol powder I can't find anywhere.

nothing wrong with IMR stuff, 3031 4198 even 4064 in .223. of course depends on you barrel length, weight of bullet etc. when you start tweeking the load.

Pill - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Missile - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Bullet - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Projectile - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Our History

hodgdon (2 O's & 2 D's) has IMR / winchester powders / hornady superformance powders / GOEX blackpowder

copied and pasted from elsewhere:

Alliant Techsystems (ATK) is the parent corporation that owns Alliant Powder, which was derived from the old Hercules Powder Company. Hercules was developed after the government- mandated breakup of DuPont in the early 1900s. One of the oldest and most beloved Hercules powders, particularly to sixgun handloaders, was called Unique. The reason that I say "was", is that Alliant has recently made a slight change to the formula to make Unique cleaner burning than its older namesake. (Alliant Techsystems (ATK) owns Federal, Speer, CCI, RCBS, Alliant Powder, and a few other big-name brands.) so ATK owns alliant, which was the hercules (which used to be red dot, blue dot, bullseye, reloder, unique, herco, etc lines now under alliant)
ATK’s accessories brands include Bushnell, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle, Alliant Powder, RCBS, Champion Target, Final Approach, Gunslick Pro, Primos, Bollé, Outers, Hoppe’s, Uncle Mike’s, Butler Creek and Weaver Optics. ATK Sporting Group’s Ammunition business supplies small-caliber ammunition to federal and local law enforcement agencies, military and sport-shooting enthusiasts, and devoted hunters. Our ammunition brands include Blazer, CCI, Estate Cartridge, Federal Premium, Fusion, Speer and Speer Bullets.

Western Powders, Inc. announces the asset purchase of Accurate Arms Company, Inc.
We’re pleased to announce that effective September 3, 2004, Western Powders Inc. has acquired the Accurate brand of reloading powders. “Accurate Arms has a long history of providing the shooting sports public with quality reloading powders and we look forward to continuing that tradition,” said Doug Phair, President of Western Powders, Inc. “Accurate has a strong offering of spherical and extruded powders covering the full range of shooting disciplines. The Accurate line is a complimentary fit with our Ramshot brand of products and I want to assure the shooting public that we have no plans to consolidate or eliminate any offerings in the Accurate line. Our focus over the next several months will be on providing the reloading community with updated data and improving the performance criteria of Accurate products.” Western Powders, Inc. also has ramshot and norma

Nammo
owns lapua that owns vihtavouri

johnson and johnson (not to be confused with sc johnson wax) still owns their baby powder, along with Pfizer Consumer Healthcare, which brings in heritage consumer brands such as LISTERINE[SUP]®[/SUP] Antiseptic (first formulated in 1879), BENGAY[SUP]®[/SUP], BENADRYL[SUP]®[/SUP] TYLENOL[SUP]®[/SUP] , ACUVUE[SUP]® [/SUP], and more.

nothing wrong with IMR stuff, 3031 4198 even 4064 in .223. of course depends on you barrel length, weight of bullet etc. when you start tweeking the load.

Pill - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Missile - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Bullet - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Projectile - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Our History

hodgdon (2 O's & 2 D's) has IMR / winchester powders / hornady superformance powders / GOEX blackpowder

copied and pasted from elsewhere:

Alliant Techsystems (ATK) is the parent corporation that owns Alliant Powder, which was derived from the old Hercules Powder Company. Hercules was developed after the government- mandated breakup of DuPont in the early 1900s. One of the oldest and most beloved Hercules powders, particularly to sixgun handloaders, was called Unique. The reason that I say "was", is that Alliant has recently made a slight change to the formula to make Unique cleaner burning than its older namesake. (Alliant Techsystems (ATK) owns Federal, Speer, CCI, RCBS, Alliant Powder, and a few other big-name brands.) so ATK owns alliant, which was the hercules (which used to be red dot, blue dot, bullseye, reloder, unique, herco, etc lines now under alliant)
ATK’s accessories brands include Bushnell, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle, Alliant Powder, RCBS, Champion Target, Final Approach, Gunslick Pro, Primos, Bollé, Outers, Hoppe’s, Uncle Mike’s, Butler Creek and Weaver Optics. ATK Sporting Group’s Ammunition business supplies small-caliber ammunition to federal and local law enforcement agencies, military and sport-shooting enthusiasts, and devoted hunters. Our ammunition brands include Blazer, CCI, Estate Cartridge, Federal Premium, Fusion, Speer and Speer Bullets.

Western Powders, Inc. announces the asset purchase of Accurate Arms Company, Inc.
We’re pleased to announce that effective September 3, 2004, Western Powders Inc. has acquired the Accurate brand of reloading powders. “Accurate Arms has a long history of providing the shooting sports public with quality reloading powders and we look forward to continuing that tradition,” said Doug Phair, President of Western Powders, Inc. “Accurate has a strong offering of spherical and extruded powders covering the full range of shooting disciplines. The Accurate line is a complimentary fit with our Ramshot brand of products and I want to assure the shooting public that we have no plans to consolidate or eliminate any offerings in the Accurate line. Our focus over the next several months will be on providing the reloading community with updated data and improving the performance criteria of Accurate products.” Western Powders, Inc. also has ramshot and norma

Nammo
owns lapua that owns vihtavouri

johnson and johnson (not to be confused with sc johnson wax) still owns their baby powder, along with Pfizer Consumer Healthcare, which brings in heritage consumer brands such as LISTERINE[SUP]®[/SUP] Antiseptic (first formulated in 1879), BENGAY[SUP]®[/SUP], BENADRYL[SUP]®[/SUP] TYLENOL[SUP]®[/SUP] , ACUVUE[SUP]® [/SUP], and more.

Sorry if the substitution of the word pill in reference to a bullet offends or infuriates you but a simple search of this site alone will bring up hundreds of examples.

I can't see it being anywhere near the same as when people cannot properly use the words there, their, or they're.

Just so we are clear. I rather in joy this slang if for no other reason than take a chill pill. besides this is the internet not SATs I don't anyone actually[\I] cares about grammar

You don't have to be "sorry" about anything! Go shoot your "pills" and I will cheerfully shoot my bullets, and yes "boolit" does bug me a little.

But I don't really care enough about it one way or another to get into an internet argument about it. Folks do make mistakes with spelling, grammar, and punctuation sometimes, but that's not the same as using slang to be "in"...

Do as thou wilt, I certainly will!

Last edited:

Remington DuPont setup the powder manufacturing plants in Australia today known as ADI, so their roots and powders were the same as the IMR powder line. In the past 40 years ago you had your choice of Remington/DuPont line of powders, Winchester and Hodgdon's. A French company now owns the Australian powder company ADI and General Dynamics Weapons division owns the Remington/DuPont and Winchester/Olin line of powders.

Remington/Dupont ran the Lake City Army ammunition Plant from 1941 till 1985 and during that time loaded their IMR and Winchester powders in our small arms ammunition.

Saying all you can find is IMR powders is like saying you prefer Toyotas and Volkswagens over buying a Ford or Chevy.

Hodgdons does not make powder they just sell powders made by other companies, the majority of Hodgdon's powders come from ADI in Australia, IMR in Canada and Winchester made in Florida.

Our History

Click on the link below to see where Hodgdons powders come from.

MSDS

When you say "boolit" irritates you, do you mean someone talking or writing it? When I say the word, it definitely sounds more like "boolit" than "bullit". I think the "pill" word is funny because a pill normally is something that is used to heal, but I don't find the word catchy to say or write.

Last edited:
today on when "Threads go bad"....

A newbie reloader asks about IMR powder and it turns into powder manufacturer history lesson and a pissing match over using tacticool terminology.

can a countersniper scope reference be next?

tune in tomorrow to find out....

I don't mine boolits, especially when saying cast boolits. :)

Pill is OK.

Head or bullet head drives me nuts though. :)

Have used IMR-4350 for years in 30-06 sized cases (25-06 currently). Supposedly H4350 runs a little warmer in that sized case, supposedly I could get faster MV's with RL17 or RL19 but it has never failed me for the last 14 years either so I haven't bothered to change. Plus like you said its frequently easier to find than the Hogdon variety.

I switched to IMR 8208 XBR a couple of years ago from Varget in my .223 and .308 F-Class rifles. Have not looked back.