• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing In need of a 308 hunting round

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
My remy PSS in 308 is set up for 168g BTHP match ammo. Is there a good 168gr hunting load out there?

Re: In need of a 308 hunting round

If shooting the SMK and on deer sized game, just shoot the OTM and it will do very well.
RTH

What is SMK & OTM?

Just swap to a 168 Amax, do a quick accuracy check and harvest some game. You can search the hide for pics of Amax harvested game, or you can check out this guys blog. He has some darn good info on bullet selection, speeds, terminal ballistics etc

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.308+Winchester+7.62+NATO.html

I have personally used the 178 amax and it will drop deer sized game in its tracks.

I have killed a few deer with 168 grain SMK. I just shoot them in the head and they die just fine. I have had great success with the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets as well. The barnes open up incredibly and retain almost all of there weight. My wife killed a 200lb sow with the barnes and a buddy a 250lb boar and they dropped both right where they were hit.

There's not much in .308 that won't make it clear through a deer at all reasonable ranges. It's not about the bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just swap to a 168 Amax, do a quick accuracy check and harvest some game. You can search the hide for pics of Amax harvested game, or you can check out this guys blog. He has some darn good info on bullet selection, speeds, terminal ballistics etc

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.308+Winchester+7.62+NATO.html
<span style="font-weight: bold">
I have personally used the 178 amax and it will drop deer sized game in its tracks. </div></div></span>

^^^this^^^

Really looking at the Barnes 168br tsx

Is 300 yards too far for a deer kill with the 308?

Rak187 recently took a large bull elk at 500+ with 155 Scenars at 2900fps.
DRT due to shot placement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is 300 yards too far for a deer kill with the 308? </div></div>

You would be crazy to attempt a shot at a deer at over 100yds with a 308. Those things are nearly bullet proof. You need a 50BMG for all this crazy long range hunting you are talking about out past 200yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really looking at the Barnes 168br tsx

Is 300 yards too far for a deer kill with the 308? </div></div>

That 3 slow 8 will kill a deer farther than you can shoot accurately in most conditions unless you are very proficient with it long range.

I've killed them as dead beyond 300 as I have at 25 yards.

Dr up here at 5k feet a 178 amax is still clocking 1600 fps/ 1000 ft lbs @ 700Y. 178 amax over some varget in the mid 44.4 range out of a 20" bbl. My last harvest was at 500Y, I try to keep my max range around 600.

If you are running a 26" bbl you can do any of the 155, 168, or 178's. The 155's and 178 will handle better in the wind and retain more energy down range.

I went with 178 amax as a do all target and hunting bullet.

Headed out tomorrow for cow elk hunt using 155g berger hunting bullets. Took one last year and plan to repeat
smile.gif
There are a couple threads dedicated to the bergers, amaxs and smk kills from last season and may have a few updates this year. Shot placement wins every time and and with that the decision making skills not to shoot when you cant place the shot where you want
smile.gif
good luck with your hunt.

I have killed a few white tail past 500yd with 168amax all drt. But I have had very bad luck with the 168gr SMK.

Hornady SST has been my bullet of choice. I shoot 175smk for target work and out to 500y w the same Varget load 43gr the ballastics are very close. SST's are cheaper than barnes and others as well. I am in the crowd who believes that hunting bullets are for hunting and my crew wont hunt w smk, amax, etc. which are primarily target bullets.

25 years ago I pulled the Sierra 168 Match Kings from Federal gold medal match duty ammo and seated a Nosler 165 Ballistic Tip to the same overall length.
The ballistic coefficient was nearly identical and they shot to the same point of aim in my 700 PSS.
Worked great on antelope.
You might give it a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really looking at the Barnes 168br tsx

Is 300 yards too far for a deer kill with the 308? </div></div>

.308 is perfect juice for deer and elk. I killed a large mule deer buck this year with a .308 and a bull elk at 950. Shot placement is what gets the job done. I have guided hunts and seen people shooting the big ultra mag crap but they couldn't hit anything. All the power in the world is no good unless you can put it where you need to.

SMK's will work just fine. I have killed deer deader than shit with 175's out of a .308 and 190's out of a .300 WM

I have shot a ton of bucks with 168smk 168 amax and 178 amax. They all drop in their tracks. I cant ever remember tracking a deer a shot with my 308's. I quit using the 178 amax becuase it was leaving to big of holes.

i have a savage and i use 168 a-max hornady..
here is a result of a 540 yards shot

IMAG0154.jpg

I've had 2 deer this season take a total of zero steps between them after meeting 178 AMAXs from my FN SPR. 160-190 yds. Brilliant.

Been shooting 178 a max for 2 years now and on crop damage permits during the summer. Awesome performance!

168 and 178 Amax's are great and I've taken down many deer with both. However, I've really grown to like the 150 TTSX over, I think--not sure/still deployed, 48gr of H380. It really sings in my 18", 1/10" Kreiger printing 3/8" groups at 100y and knocking the snot out of deer no matter where I hit them.

If you are after "off the shelf" ammo, there is a Federal Premium with 165 gr SGK. Shoots close enough to FGMM 168 that I don't change a thing. Though, there is nothing wrong with a well placed FGMM.

Kevin

+1 on the TTSX. We have used 150 TTSX's on deer and elk. Works great.

+100 for the Barnes 168grn Vor-tx

I have the SAME situation as you. I was looking for a Match Grade Hunting round in 168grn. I found the Barnes Vor-tx 168s and gave them a try. My average shots are 400yds. And Im shooting a Rem700 AICS chassis with a 20" barrel. I am overly impressed with the results. It delivers ALL of its energy and the bullet retains nearly all of its mass. The deer Ive shot never knew what him em. They were dead before they hit the ground.

And the best part is... I don't need to make ANY adjustments because my everyday round is the 168grn SMK.

Those of you taking deer with the 168 AMAX's. How close was the target and what are you seeing for bullet weight retention? Is it dumping all its energy right away and fragmenting like a grenade?
I ask because of internet hear say and Hornady not listing it for hunting purposes. I just started reloading for my 308 and I've got the 168gr AMAX, 180gr SST and 180gr BTSP bullets to load.

Another satisfied user of the Barnes Vor-tx 168 grain factory ammo. Priced well and extremely effective. I am a lifelong reloader but this ammo worked well and is very convenient, especially given how many rounds are actually expended hunting.

I have not been able to check the weight retention for the 168gr amax since all of my hits have resulted in complete pass through. I recently took a white tail doe at 718yds with a high shoulder shot that resulted in a pass through and drt.

Everything I've ever hit with 178 AMAXs has not even taken a step. And they are accurate. I can't see a reason to for me to use anything else.

i shot a neilgui 250 out with 168 grain lapuas

No, you didn't.

You shot a Nilgai.

Neilgui is Neil Diamond's younger brother. He sings backup....

(Sorry, couldn't help being a smart ass on this one. This was the best incorrectly spelled word I've seen on the 'Hide.)

I like the 150 ttsx but if you want to stick with 165 the ttsx is still great I'm sure. I used the 150 ttsx in Africa and dropped a kudu at 330yds.

I don't understand the problem with using SMK's or Hornady bthp's for hunting. I've killed more deer with 168 SMK, 168 Hornady bthp, and 155 lapua scenar than I can count and they all either dropped drt or fell within sight. The ranges were from 25 to 400 yards and all were pass throughs with big ole exit holes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Hornady SST has been my bullet of choice. I shoot 175smk for target work and out to 500y w the same Varget load 43gr the ballastics are very close. SST's are cheaper than barnes and others as well. I am in the crowd who believes that hunting bullets are for hunting and my crew wont hunt w smk, amax, etc. which are primarily target bullets.

SST's are great killers, but you might want to consider GMX's for less meat loss. Kill just as well, but not as likely to shatter and ruin as much meat.

El cheapo Corlokt are always dependable - put down lots of deer with that one. Barnes won't dump much energy unless it contacts heavy bone. I shot an elk with 6.5mm 130 gr tsx close range and it was like shooting it with an arrow with a field point. If it had not been through the heart I would still be looking for it.