• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In need of new powder measure

GhostFace

Verified Asshole
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2003
    Indiana
    I have a Lee PPM and its about 7 years old. It used to throw a charge of 4895 very accurate, within .2-.3 a grain, now last night it started acting up big time. It throw an accurate charge for about five times then be off about a grain. I would adjust and it would do the same again. I would like to replace it with something that will accurately throw extruded powders including 4064 within .3, allowing me to check about every 5th or 6th charge. I don't want to spend more than $200, ideally $150 is what I would like to spend. I didn't know if Redding or RCBS have anything within that price range that will do that or not. What do you guys suggest?

Re: In need of new powder measure

I have a Lyman, a Hornady, and 2 Lee PPMs. Only the Lees get used. They are really the best. I can keep H4895 inside .2gr pretty consistently.

The other thing to consider is that IMR 8208 XBR has virtually the same burn rate as H4895 and will be much better in a powder measure.

I have a great load and I really don't want to change. I don't trust the Lee right now so I am looking at another measure. Naval guy what model Redding do you have? Does it do what I am asking?

Does it throw extruded powders pretty accurate? what powders do you use with it?

When my PPM goes TU I am going to pick up a Harrell measure. They are not cheap, starting at $ 200.00, but they have good reviews and it appears they are very popular with the benchrest crowd for their accuracy.

Link is here

Volumetric measure..check out Neil Jones too.

The Redding BR3 is a great measure! I have no problems with extruded powders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eclipse57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When my PPM goes TU I am going to pick up a Harrell measure. They are not cheap, starting at $ 200.00, but they have good reviews and it appears they are very popular with the benchrest crowd for their accuracy.

Link is here

</div></div>

Looks well built. How well does it work with stick powders?

I have both Harrell and redding 3br, None will work with Varget(stick powder). You are looking about +/- .5 to .6 gr.

I don't trust any powder measure without question. I check my charges. As long as I'm doing that, most any measure will do. But this way, I <span style="font-style: italic">know</span>...

These are not cheap ( 400 + ) and if you buy a stand and some extra bottles and such you are looking at 500 now. For that kind of money i would rather have a RCBS charge master. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Volumetric measure..check out Neil Jones too.</div></div>

A Redding 3BR is within your budget and can throw charges as accurately as you're looking for. I've taken data across a wide range of powders including IMR4046, IMR4895, H4895, etc. and the three sigma error came out to be 0.28gr, 0.19gr, and 0.18gr, respectively, for an <span style="text-decoration: line-through">80gr</span> <span style="font-style: italic">80% micrometer full</span> charge. IMR3031 came in at 0.21gr, for example.

The measure was mounted to the edge of a 1x6 poplar board using the bracket it comes with, the board was c-clamped to the edge of a heavy desk, and the lever was bumped slightly at the bottom of the swing where the micrometer cavity loads. It also has a Sinclair adaptor and bottle attached instead of the stock reservoir and baffle but I don't think it matters.

The measure is accurate enough to develop a linear regression from the data across several charge values so it can be entered into a programmable calculator, or excel spreadsheet, in order to get the micrometer setting for a given input charge weight, as well as the likely three sigma error (which tends to increase with throw weight according to the data(. This looks to hold true across a total of seventeen powders measured.

I still weigh every thrown charge and any flier comes from an error in technique like bumping the lever too hard or too many times although some bridging occurs from time to time but i don't have an explanation for that yet.

Cleaning the drum and mircrometer cavity helps but doesn't eliminate it entirely, thus the bump applied at the bottom of the travel. With some of the longer extruded powders it seems that double bumping or bumping at the top and the bottom of the travel helps reduce bridging the most but that's just anecdotal. And it likely over-compacts the charge but by how much I've not measured.

HTH, Pete

I would like to get away from weighing every thrown charge and I can't then I might as well use what I have and keep trickling up. I have seen a mod to the 3BR on Arfcom where they polish all the metal surfaces and it helps a ton with the accuracy. Damn now I am pretty unsure on what I should do, with the mixed results and all...

I've had my Redding with micrometer since the mid-80's. It's metered all types of powder w/o any problems...ever! I'd buy another in a heartbeat!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GhostFace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to get away from weighing every thrown charge and I can't then I might as well use what I have and keep trickling up. I have seen a mod to the 3BR on Arfcom where they polish all the metal surfaces and it helps a ton with the accuracy. Damn now I am pretty unsure on what I should do, with the mixed results and all... </div></div>

I only weigh each thrown charge to verify it's within tolerance. IOW the scale is set and the charge is thrown in the pan which is then placed in the hanger. If the beam settles outside the limits, which is rare, then it goes back into the reservoir.

If a grain gets snapped hard enough the throw weight will be off as will a few succeeding throws. When this happens I just dump the pan back into the reservoir and cycle a few more through before resuming charging. Seems to be the fastest and safest way of getting a reasonably accurate charge without having to trickle up.

I think you are asking for a lot in reality wanting a powder measure to throw more accurately than .2, I've had several including the Harrells Premium Culver measure. None of the ones I've owned including the Harrell holds any better than .2
    I actually use my RCBS Chargemaster almost exclusively now. It routinely thows .3 or so over. I feel like you just have to learn this tendency, I just remove the pan from the scale and place it back on there and the reading will change to what's really in the pan. I really think the Lee perfect is about as good as you can do in your budget zone. The JD's quick measure may be a good one to try as well, just looking at the design--and it's in your budget zone.

Good luck to you in your search.

I have a second RCBS powder hopper that has a small drum in it. I was using it to throw smaller charges of Varget (about 24 grains) for the .223 Rem. I was getting very consistent throws with it, down to about .01.

I was curious and decided to test it by throwing two charges of 24 grains and weighing them. To my surprise, with the double throw, I was getting throws within .02 easy. It sure was a lot more consistent throwing two small drum charges @ 24 for 48 grains than one throw with my other RCBS hopper with the large drum in it for 48 grains.

I hand weigh Varget for my 308 Win. L/R loads, but I found doubling the small charges interesting.

I wouldn't trade my Harrell measure. For me, it is accurate and repeatable with any powder, except, perhaps, the really big stick powders like 3031. Which, fortunately, I don't use anymore.

I will weigh about every tenth or fifteenth charge, but so far have not found a variation significant enough to bother me or affect the accuracy.

With a ball powder, it's set-and-forget.

Richard

I like my RCBS chargmaster. It takes the guess work out of each powder throw. Worth the money IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLIGHT762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was using it to throw smaller charges of Varget (about 24 grains) for the .223 Rem. I was getting very consistent throws with it, down to about .01.
    </div></div>

Are you sure you don't mean .1gr?