• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes In Need Of Some Help

Soul_Of_Miller

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
Baytown, Texas
Hey guys, I'm new here, but I joined to get help from more experienced people.

First off, I have a Springfield Standard M1A. I'm about to replace the black synthetic stock for an EBR. I am very interested in getting into long range competition target shooting.

I have two VERY important questions that I could use some help with.

#1: I've decided on using 168 grain bullets, but don't know which is the better brand. Federal Premium or Hornady?

#2: I want a fixed 20x power scope with a mil-dot recticle, any suggestions?

Re: In Need Of Some Help

Yes, a few.

Fill out your profile, so we will know things like where you are.

If you really want to get into "long range competition shooting", buy another rifle - M1As are not competitive except with other M1As.

I like M1As, having been handed an M14 in boot camp in the Marine Corps - but that was back in the 60's, and I wouldn't even think of shooting one in competition now.

Don't shoot 168 Sierra MatchKings in long-range competition. Shoot 175 Sierra Matchkings instead. The 168 has too steep an angle on the boattail, and they will often fly sideways when going transonic, which they are going to do at sea level at 800 yards or less out of an M1A.

Spend some time reading the archives on this site before asking questions.

That should be enough suggestions to get you started...

^^^^^ What he said

And most M1A's off the shelf like the 155gr stuff, or the ones that I have shot all did.

M1A is not really an accuracy machine for matches I would go with a AR10 platform or bolt gun if you want real accuracy and reliability.

Why a fixed 20x scope? You are gonna be screwed when it comes to the 100 yard shots and in. Your field of view will be very limited at those closer distances. it not only important to see your target, its important to see what is AROUND your target.

oh any btw, fill out your profile please!

Soul_Of_Miller,

Welcome to the Hide. Yes, it is important that you fill out your profile. Everyone is required to, or eventually they get banned.

When looking for information on the Hide, it is best to do a Search first. There are three different searches (that I know of) to use on the Hide.

The first 2 searches are run internally using the "<span style="font-weight: bold">Search</span>" tab from the drop down menu or the "<span style="font-weight: bold">Advanced Search</span>" option that shows up when the <span style="font-weight: bold">Search</span> drop down menu is clicked on.

The 3rd search options is a customized Google search engine that specifically searches the Sniper's Hide only. Click on the link below and save it to your favorite's as "Sniper's Hide Search Engine". This is the Search that I use 99.9% of the time on the Hide.

Sniper's Hide Search Engine

Good luck and good searching!

Here is the most important advice I can give you regarding the Hide. "<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Lindy</span></span>" who responded to your post first, is the most experienced and knowledgeable shooter I have ever met. Take his advice as being <span style="color: #CC6600"><span style="font-weight: bold">Golden</span></span>. Click once on his name and scroll down to the "<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">view posts</span></span>" option and click on that.

There is the greatest gold mine of information regarding all aspects of shooting that you will ever find. Whatever he posts, you read. Dig through his old posts and you will be amazed at how much you can learn from a man you've never met.

Good shooting (and good reading!)

If you are set on a fixed scope you can't beat the price/quality of a super sniper, turrets /mil dots /and parallax adj....that said, i wish i had a mark 4 or vortex or whatever i could dial out all the time.