• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In need of some serious 338LM help!

dang472

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 3, 2012
    Kingston, IL
    I need a direction on my upcoming Stiller TAC338 build. I jumped all over the group buy and maybe screwed myself. I see there isn't much out there for chassis systems or standard A4 stocks with DBM. I noticed Manners and McMillan have a few that fit the 338, but that's about it. After playing with the AX338 at the NRA Convention, I'm in love with the AX chassis. Everything I've read says the Tac338 won't even come close to fitting in the AX but with some mods it will fit in the legacy 2.0.

I just received a new Rock fluted from bugholes and really want an AX Chassis. Do I place an order for another action that fits and sell off the Stiller? What other custom actions fit in the AX in 338? What other chassis work with the longer and bigger TAC338?

Is it really impossible to make a TAC338 work in an AX? A grinder, welder, and duct tape can do wonders!

Re: In need of some serious 338LM help!

I'm also very interested in this as I have the same action coming. I was told by a reputable smith he could make the AICS work, it would require milling out a new slot for the recoil lug and bedding. I don't know if that would be the solution for the AX or not.

From what Ive found the ax is a no go. I would think any stock that Mcmillan or Manners offer could be inletted for the action. A pm to Tom would square that away quickly there is also the xlr and Mcree.

I had dreams about putting the stiller 338 into a AX to.
    After a lot of research, A few guys have already tried with no luck.
    I've learned the recoil lug would have to be milled
    Also the shroud would be in the way.
    The stiller is bigger then a 700 so more mods there.

After my brain debated I've decided on a XLR.
    Its cheaper and when I first seen it looked better to IMO.
    Good luck!

One more thing ! I also give credit to gunsmithcat for the info since he has tried to fit the stiller in the ax with a no go.

Well there you have it!
    I will be ordering one soon Kyle.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnzor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well there you have it!
    I will be ordering one soon Kyle.
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

kyle is a great guy. I cant wait till i can order my chassis this fall

So I guess the main question now is what custom actions will fit in the AX? Defiance and BAT come to mind. My Rock barrel has a 1.350" shank. I hope that works with these actions.

I spoke with Chris Drake from Drake Associates about their CADEX Strike 33 chassis. Chris was extremely helpful and believes the Stiller will work in this chassis. Jerry Stiller provided some dimensions and Chris is supposed to check this week. I really want to continue doing business with both guys. When someone takes the time on a Saturday evening to talk chassis dimensions, I'm impressed.