• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In the market for a precision 22lr.

Bgriff008

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2021
Columbus Ohio
I was sort of stuck on the CZ457 do to price point. Area419 does some nice builds but all out of stock. Just putting out some feelers and interested to hear what others recommend. Also if anyone knows where items may be in stock. Thanks.

I was sort of stuck on the CZ457 do to price point. Area419 does some nice builds but all out of stock. Just putting out some feelers and interested to hear what others recommend. Also if anyone knows where items may be in stock. Thanks.
CZ457 is the way to go. The area 419 builds are fantastic aswell. The one I own is pretty much one of theirs but without the cool barrel. Tikkas are great aswell but me and the people I shoot with are all super happy with our CZs. Happy to send a picture of it your way and give some advice on modifications if you go with one.

Reactions: Bgriff008
Forgot to mention in that first reply but my dad just picked one of the chassis CZs off gun broker for around $900 new. Came in today.

I love my 457varmint MTR I think voduu is better but not over 2 k better

Ultimate goal?

Hit or miss options: Bergara, T1x, 457
Will definitely shoot and compete: Vudoo

A base rifle with chassis, barrel and still might not shoot as good would be around $1200 or more depending if you plan on a aftermarket trigger. I don't buy premium or even moderate .22 ammunition so I am pretty happy with my T1x and 10/22. If I miss, I am at least 60% to blame.

As stated you really need to be a little more specific with the intended use and budget. Do you want a rifle to shoot NRL style matches, extreme long range at steel, carry around in the woods to shoot squirrels eyes out, running bore rifle, or a 50 meter prone rifle? All are different and there is a wide range of price points.

Yep I had a feeling this would be a loaded question. But I was hoping to hear from others that may have mentioned something or a product that I had yet to discover on my own. Thanks for bearing with me. I’ve been into shooting but this precision thing is a whole new world and beast. I’d prefer to stay $2500-$3k, that includes a nice scope. I will be shooting competition (PRS) not sure about NRL, at our local range but doubt I will get so involved to travel to comps out of state. I want to be semi competitive to keep my interest but I’m not expecting to be the best or buy the best. Just want to have fun but that includes being competitive to a degree. Our range shoots at 100yds and longer. Not sure they do further than 300 yds. I know Vudoos are at the top but don’t want to spend that much. I do like the stock look like the manners. Also, I could see myself shooting squirrels and groundhogs. I bow hunt so hunting small game would be of interest. Im leaning toward the 419 builds but again like to hear from others and the why.

So the Bergara. This is newer to the market? Correct? It’s within my budget. Are parts to upgrade available? I’ve read they shoot great just curious what is recommended for upgrades?

Last edited:
Yep I had a feeling this would be a loaded question. But I was hoping to hear from others that may have mentioned something or a product that I had yet to discover on my own. Thanks for bearing with me. I’ve been into shooting but this precision thing is a whole new world and beast. I’d prefer to stay $2500-$3k, that includes a nice scope. I will be shooting competition (PRS) not sure about NRL, at our local range but doubt I will get so involved to travel to comps out of state. I want to be semi competitive to keep my interest but I’m not expecting to be the best or buy the best. Just want to have fun but that includes being competitive to a degree. Our range shoots at 100yds and longer. Not sure they do further than 300 yds. I know Vudoos are at the top but don’t want to spend that much. I do like the stock look like the manners. Also, I could see myself shooting squirrels and groundhogs. I bow hunt so hunting small game would be of interest. Im leaning toward the 419 builds but again like to hear from others and the why.

So the Bergara. This is newer to the market? Correct? It’s within my budget. Are parts to upgrade available? I’ve read they shoot great just curious what is recommended for upgrades?
Bergaras are compatible with rem700 stocks, triggers, and mounts I believe. Haven’t ever seen one in person but have heard mostly good things besides some older ones having extraction issues, but I guess they have that worked out

I just picked up a Bergara steel barrel, and so far I love it. In my opinion, the trigger needs to be upgraded though. I'm spoiled by all my friends TriggerTechs though.
Here's the first groups shot after zeroing

Attachments

• PXL_20210127_225440072~3.jpg
    PXL_20210127_225440072~3.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20210121_022302821.jpg
    PXL_20210121_022302821.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 83
You should be able to build a Vudoo with a nice scope for $3000 if you use a KRG Bravo chassis & go budget on the trigger (both easily upgradeable as you go). Personally I would put my money into the most accurate rifle & ammo you can so the feedback on your training / shot execution is as accurate as it can be.

Reactions: STex
Picked up a 457 and it shoots good so far. Got some new ammo yesterday will see if it does any better
14EE4B64-95CF-4B11-B636-0F839E3EA2AB.jpeg

Which Area 419 CZ457 were you considering? The $1k factory barreled action or the $2k with Bratlein barrel and Manners stock?

Got my Bergara (carbon) yesterday. First impressions: very robust, nice finish and heavy. Will shoot it next week.

Bgriff008,
I have a Kidd Supergrade, Tikka T1X, and a Bergara B14R all will shoot sub moa out to 200yds. I sold a CZ 455 after getting the B14R. All the B14R needed was a trigger. I put a Trigger Tech Diamond in mine. The B14R is a 700 footprint and a heavy gun, sets very well on bi-pods and rest.
Mark

Which Area 419 CZ457 were you considering? The $1k factory barreled action or the $2k with Bratlein barrel and Manners stock?
Yes puts it around $2090 or something like that. I was also looking at the $2100 with MPA chassis. I just like the looks of the manners. That style anyway.

Bgriff008,
I have a Kidd Supergrade, Tikka T1X, and a Bergara B14R all will shoot sub moa out to 200yds. I sold a CZ 455 after getting the B14R. All the B14R needed was a trigger. I put a Trigger Tech Diamond in mine. The B14R is a 700 footprint and a heavy gun, sets very well on bi-pods and rest.
Mark
I really like what I’m hearing from those who have and have shot a Bergara. My first choice was CZ only because I own 3 CZ firearms and love them. So I figured it’s a CZ. But I’m open to anything. Buddy of mine even recommended the Bergara. It’s not what he shoots but his buddy does and he says it’s really nice.

I just picked up a Bergara steel barrel, and so far I love it. In my opinion, the trigger needs to be upgraded though. I'm spoiled by all my friends TriggerTechs though.
I’ll say this. Any firearm I’ve bought or built gets an upgraded trigger immediately. It’s by far the best upgrade to any firearm. So I will be all in for an upgraded trigger.

Reactions: Surferjoe
Damn. I’d be happy shooting those groups. Very nice. I’m sold. Lol.

Reactions: x2cross
So our range is shooting PRS on Feb 13. Gonna go and take a look at what all the members are shooting. Plus nothing seems to be in stock right now with all the craziness going on. Wouldn’t think precision rifles would be scarce. Buy they are.

If I was going to spend $2K on a CZ, I'd just spend a little more and get a Vudoo. Buy once, cry once.

I had a CZ 455 for a while. Good rifle, just couldn't get it to do what I wished it would. After spending about $1K trying various things to improve accuracy, I just sold it and bought my Bergara B14R. The Bergara shot better out of the box with zero modifications than my CZ ever could shoot.

Only mods I have made are a Timney Calvin Elite 2-Stage trigger and dropped it into a KRG Bravo. Shoots like a dream with $1,300 all in.

Someday I will sell it and get a Vudoo. But, I've shot a friends Vudoo, and it doesn't shoot much better than my Bergara. I have no problems clearing a KYL rack at 100 yards with my Bergara, so I don't see it getting much better than that for the money I've got in it.

If you want something right now, last I looked Champions Choice still had some Anschutz rifles in various flavors.

There's a couple of Anschutz's in the
PX don't know if they're still there?
Look for 168bthpm's post.
FWIW

If I was going to spend $2K on a CZ, I'd just spend a little more and get a Vudoo. Buy once, cry once.

I had a CZ 455 for a while. Good rifle, just couldn't get it to do what I wished it would. After spending about $1K trying various things to improve accuracy, I just sold it and bought my Bergara B14R. The Bergara shot better out of the box with zero modifications than my CZ ever could shoot.

Only mods I have made are a Timney Calvin Elite 2-Stage trigger and dropped it into a KRG Bravo. Shoots like a dream with $1,300 all in.

Someday I will sell it and get a Vudoo. But, I've shot a friends Vudoo, and it doesn't shoot much better than my Bergara. I have no problems clearing a KYL rack at 100 yards with my Bergara, so I don't see it getting much better than that for the money I've got in it.
But see, I like the $1300 price point. More room for a better scope. I still have other stuff to buy. Like bags, extra mags, quality ammo etc.

A V-22 barreled action is $1800. Add a KRG Bravo, $2150.
Area 419 CZ 457 in the MPA chassis, $2200.

I'd MUCH rather have the Vudoo. Superior accuracy, superior magazine, superior rifle.

If you are budget limited, get a Bergara B14R. All it needs out of the box is a better trigger.

A scope isn't going to make you a better shooter. I shoot an Athlon Midas Tac, $650. I have beaten plenty of shooter with much $2K scopes.

Last edited:
You should be able to build a Vudoo with a nice scope for $3000 if you use a KRG Bravo chassis & go budget on the trigger (both easily upgradeable as you go). Personally I would put my money into the most accurate rifle & ammo you can so the feedback on your training / shot execution is as accurate as it can be.
A Vudoo on a KRG Bravo is $2395. Skimp on the scope at first and upgrade it later. A Vortex Strike Eagle will fit your budget. That's what I did. :)

FWIW my rationale was:

Rimfire is inferior to centerfire. Rimfire accuracy is limited by the ammo. The best ammo costs more than reloading 223, and can still have fliers. So, what is the best reasonable ammo, and what rifle is needed to optimize that ammo? I settled on CCI SV with a Tikka for a bolt and a Savage A22 Pro Varmint for an autoloader. The Tikka will shoot ~0.8-0.9 at 100 with the SV in calm conditions. The Savage is ~1" with SV, and 1.5" with high velocity ammo.

FWIW my rationale was:

Rimfire is inferior to centerfire. Rimfire accuracy is limited by the ammo. The best ammo costs more than reloading 223, and can still have fliers. So, what is the best reasonable ammo, and what rifle is needed to optimize that ammo? I settled on CCI SV with a Tikka for a bolt and a Savage A22 Pro Varmint for an autoloader. The Tikka will shoot ~0.8-0.9 at 100 with the SV in calm conditions. The Savage is ~1" with SV, and 1.5" with high velocity ammo.
Weighing out ammo makes a pretty big difference, mostly with vertical stringing. Targets 7 and 12 are weighed (100 yard indoor) and the rest aren’t. I usually except .75 moa groups in indoor conditions with SK match even though the one in the picture with calipers is around half that, just got lucky that day I guess (CZ457, 5 shot groups)
D8F43C08-1DF9-4422-A38E-727B9838CCF4.jpeg

Reactions: Bgriff008 and STex
A V-22 barreled action is $1800. Add a KRG Bravo, $2150.
Area 419 CZ 457 in the MPA chassis, $2200.

I'd MUCH rather have the Vudoo. Superior accuracy, superior magazine, superior rifle.

If you are budget limited, get a Bergara B14R. All it needs out of the box is a better trigger.

A scope isn't going to make you a better shooter. I shoot an Athlon Midas Tac, $650. I have beaten plenty of shooter with much $2K scopes.

Yea I like your idea. Get the vudoo barreled action and put it in a slightly cheaper stock like the KRG. I can always upgrade later if the need arises. But I like the looks of the Bravo. As for the Midas Tac, I’ve been considering that as well. It’s that or a vortex.

Yea I like your idea. Get the vudoo barreled action and put it in a slightly cheaper stock like the KRG. I can always upgrade later if the need arises. But I like the looks of the Bravo. As for the Midas Tac, I’ve been considering that as well. It’s that or a vortex.I’v
Yea I like your idea. Get the vudoo barreled action and put it in a slightly cheaper stock like the KRG. I can always upgrade later if the need arises. But I like the looks of the Bravo. As for the Midas Tac, I’ve been considering that as well. It’s that or a vortex.
I’ve currently been running the diamond back but am about the switch it over to a razor gen 2. I think the best budget(ish) optic would be the vortex strike eagle. More than enough magnification, 34mm tube and 56mm objective, and i think it has over 100 moa of internal adjustment, which would really help stretching it out to 400yards (most scopes only have 60-70moa internal, and it takes me 76moa to hit at 400 with my CZ)

Reactions: Sc0- and Bgriff008
The T1X UPR that's upcoming seems to be a good buy. With adjustable cheekpiece and length of pull, at least you won't need to replace the stock. It's pre-order for $1300 in Canada, probably a bit below a thousand in US?

You can get a complete Vudoo in a Bravo. https://vudoogunworks.com/rifles/apparition-krg-bravo/ I just put a Bravo on my Tikka T1X, love it.
Mark

if that's your budget i see no reason to get a CZ compared to a vudoo or rimx and Bravo/XRS with a SE 5-25 to start. it just makes no sense to me at all

@Bgriff008
I went Bergara when I found out I could get it at dealer price. I wanted a rifle NOW!! I really like it and enjoy it. I had been looking at Vudoo for a couple of years off and on. I ordered the Vudoo in Jan and now have 12/13 weeks left of waiting. I ordered the complete rifle from them. Ravage with 20” Ace Kukri barrel, Ridgeback Stock, 40 MOA rail, NF NX8 4-32 Mil-XT scope. The pay while you wait is a nice option to get exactly what you want. JoAnn is who helped me through my build. She has been a pleasure to deal with.
5435061C-583B-42E7-82B7-F732B63C7FFF.jpeg
1052E4D6-CC4B-4CBE-986A-3506B4E41A76.jpeg
126DF0F3-1EDE-49D2-8A36-4E9B875C5336.jpeg

I just have to figure out if I want to keep the B14R or flip it after the V22 arrives in May.

It’s like waiting on a suppressor. Jeesh. That Bergara looks sweet. Love that cerakote job. That’s a good idea to get a gun now. And at such a great price. Nice job. I don’t know what I’m doing but the longer I wait the longer I have to wait. If I could land a vudoo barreled action now that would be great but don’t think it will happen.

Reactions: Defender32
It’s like waiting on a suppressor. Jeesh. That Bergara looks sweet. Love that cerakote job.
Thank you. It is like waiting for a suppressor. I will thoroughly enjoy it once I get it In hand. I enjoy shooting the NRL22 matches more than any shooting I have done. It got me out of not shooting for almost 3 years. All is did was shoot enough to Deer & Predator hunt.

Thank you. It is like waiting for a suppressor. I will thoroughly enjoy it once I get it In hand. I enjoy shooting the NRL22 matches more than any shooting I have done. It got me out of not shooting for almost 3 years. All is did was shoot enough to Deer & Predator hunt.
Might not be a bad idea to do what u did. Then hand down one gun to my 11 year old.

Reactions: Defender32
That is exactly what I had other people tell me to do and it will work out fantastic.

I was all set on a Vudoo for my next setup. However, they take forever to get and I want a gun I can compete with now. Here is what I did. I went with the Bergara and a MPA Comp chassis. I know guys shooting this setup and winning plenty of NRL22 matches. (of course there were Vudoo there) If after some time with this setup and I still want a Vudoo, I will sell the Bergara BA and replace with a Vudoo. I will get some of my money back and I am able to use the Bergara for now. Some of my friends shooting the Bergara setup tell me I won't switch. Time will tell. The Vudoo would have been about another 1K more initially.

Thanks for everyone’s response. I decided to go with the Bergara and placed an order thru PSA. For the heck of it, after I ordered, I got on Armslist and wouldn’t you know, a Bergara post. With all the fixings. Only an hour away. So I text and ask if it’s still available and it was. So I get on the phone with PSA and cancel my order. Drove and picked this beauty up same day. So stoked to have this compared to the base Bergara I ordered thru PSA. Came with everything except scope. Got some Extra mags too. Couldn’t be happier. It’s in pristine condition. Like others have said, the vudoo is months away. I wanted something now. And the reviews on Bergara are great. If I ever do upgrade my son can have this. So no buyers remorse with this purchase. Deal was fantastic too.

Attachments

• 33CAC502-A010-49E1-9C9B-32653DBF8E10.jpeg
    33CAC502-A010-49E1-9C9B-32653DBF8E10.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78