• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In the Market for an AR-10 (buy or build?)

Wilson Combat has a bunch of barrels in their spring cleaning 25% off sale.

If you're in the market, take a look.

I have not made irreversible decision yet (either way) ... to sell or not to sell the GAP-10 g2 .. but I did try putting on the AP .308 carbine length tube, buffer, spring setup (dpms g1) I ordered last week and at least the bolt does fully lock to the rear with that setup.

And I think worst case, I can use the variable mass parts from JP if there are shooting issues. The gap-10 g2 does have an slr-agb .. but after watching the JP video, I realize "the operating window" still might be fairly narrow if things are not well balanced ... and like air density difference between cool and warm half of the year might tip over the performance. My 5.56(18) that performed without issue over the cool half of the year is now exhibiting mild under gas issues (bolt not locking to the rear after last round fired from magazine) ... so agb needs to be opened up a hair more as an example of "narrow operating window".

So if I can "beat the emotion" out of my for being mad at myself for thinking the gap-10 g2 ws dpms g1 compatiable, I do think that AR-10 compatible parts are out there ... a smaller "niche" than the dpms g1 niche, but a multiple manufacturer niche none the less. And for instance the varible JP buffer/spring setups as well as the BCG varibles have AR-10 compatible parts.

Well I did a dumb thing.

I have a spare M5E1 enhanced upper with handguard and I saw that Wilson Combat had 16" .338 Federal (necked up .308) barrels in the 1/2 price sale.

About $185 later, I've got a barrel and RCBS small base reloading dies ordered.

I didn't want to add another caliber...

• Haha
Reactions: wigwamitus
Well I figured if I put it together it would help get me aligned with the idea of keeping it :)

47645694441_7ec020b591_k.jpg

Not done yet. Still needs a couple of rails at least 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. And maybe a 6 o'clock to the rear for a direct tripod mount (the rail being lighter than the VYCE).

But ready to shoot.

I added a PRI gas buster .308 charging handle (not a big fan of the suppressor blast filling my eyes with soot).

AP .308 carbine length tube, spring and buffer. CTR stock.

Spuhr mount

NF 4-16x T3 scope

OMEGA

Atlas

Armageddon sling

So that's the basic setup. If I shoot it, I would be starting with the last case of M118LR and shooting that up, then switching over to the FGMM 175gr (7.62 load) which I've had better reliability with than the M118LR.

The final step is putting the castle nut on there. I left it off to make it easier to back out. I figure once I put the castle nut on the buffer tube I am committed :D

You might want to look at the KDG Kinect rails to make your 3:00 and 9:00 rails QD.

As shown 14 lbs 1.9 oz

That's BEFORE any NV/Thermal crap gets put on there. Well at least it is lighter than the AX rifle, but not lighter than the Bravo rifle.

Well I went out and fired the first 20 rds ... the suppressor was slipping a little I noticed the groups falling but didn't figure out it was the suppressor until after the last round. but the groups were sub 1 inch after I got done dialing the knobs. I ran one wet and 5 dry bore snakes. The good news was ZERO cycling issues :)

The trigger is great ... all in all it feels almost like I'm shootin' a bolt gun, except I don't have to run the bolt. I recall the olde sig "SLAMMIN" around ... this one doesn't do that. It must not be overgassed !

And I think I got the diopter on the new 4-16x T3 scope dialed in better than I've gotten one in a long time. So hopefully that will reduce eye fatigue.

Well I've got one box of 20 plus a case of 460 M118LR to get thru, so I will get on it tomorrow and Sunday. Fortunately my range is out in my "yard" since I live on a cattle ranch.

I got my .338 barrel and mocked it up in my M5E1 enhanced upper. For the price I paid, it's a very nice looking barrel. I'm still waiting on dies and I need to complete the gas system too.