• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inch-pound torque wrench

I've used Seekonk, Wheeler FAT wrench, Borka, and Fix It Sticks all in one. I no longer have the Seekonk wrenches, but the other three fill specific roles and I trust them well enough. Why do you think the Wheeler is no longer accurate?

What do you use for a torque wrench when mounting optics?

I am not sure how accurate my Wheeler is lately.
Fix it sticks, without doubt in my mind. They are a great product. I use the torque limiters and not the all in one adjustable product.

I use fix it sticks while out but at home in the shop I use a CDI 1/4" torque wrench 10-50 inch pounds

I also use wheeler. However been thinking to upgrade. Honestly no real reason to that I know of but always like to know when I’m torquing on scope tubes etc that it’s accuracy.

What’s a good fix it sticks kit to buy? I see them from $100-$250.

Not trying to steal op thread. But figure it’s on topic

Reactions: DubfromGA
Wiha digital torque driver

Attachments

• 87A3A673-917C-41F2-849F-695DED06AC14.jpeg
    87A3A673-917C-41F2-849F-695DED06AC14.jpeg
    598.7 KB · Views: 162
I also use wheeler. However been thinking to upgrade. Honestly no real reason to that I know of but always like to know when I’m torquing on scope tubes etc that it’s accuracy.

What’s a good fix it sticks kit to buy? I see them from $100-$250.

Not trying to steal op thread. But figure it’s on topic
The deluxe kit, it’s like 170 or something like that. Has 15,25,45,65 limiters, bunch of bits, and the extended 5/32 or whatever that most all action screws are. That’s what I bought pre AI and then bought the 49inlb limiter separate. @cattleman99 i think has the deluxe kit though.

I'd remembered perusing this article a while back and had to go find it, the chart from the article was interesting so I posted it below. Take it for what it is but all of them seemed to do good enough to get the job done and not snap fasteners off.

1609457224490.png

I just ordered the wheeler screwdriver type digital bit-driver torque wrench. I hope it works out. Did you like your wheeler?

Got the digital Wheeler on sale, pretty consistent so far.

Quality

Everything else people have mentioned here is either barely adequate or complete garbage
Care to elaborate on your rating of Fix it Sticks?

I find them extremely consistent (RTZ) when swapping scope mounts around various rifles. 15 in/lbs for caps, and 35 or 45 in/lbs for base. Get used often... range, home, very convenient.

ETA: we’re not building the space shuttle... so does it matter if the tool says 45 in/lbs but gives you 47? As long as it’s 47 each time.

Last edited:
^^what Pucker said.......I use different ones for no particular reason......all very accurate for the simple task of tightening non-NASA screws.
Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 8.48.39 PM copy.png
Fix It All In One copy.jpg

Reactions: Bradu
Also: every town with factories will have a place to get tools calibrated. A bit of a slog as an individual to call them up and arrange for ONE thing to be done (vs on account, dozens or hundreds of things a year) but most will take you as a walk in, then confirm the rating or if a brand they service, actually re-calibrate it for you.

Worth a call if you like your torque wrench, but don't trust it.

Everything else people have mentioned here is either barely adequate or complete garbage
Hello my friend...I don't really consider the fix-it-sticks torque limiters to be barely adequate and certainly not garbage.

I will of course take your recommendation that the Wiha is a top quality product.

Wishing you and yours a healthy, joyous, and prosperous New Year.

All - by the by, if you have not seen it, Fix-it-sticks has a great listing of torque specs for various rings, action screws, etc.

I like my Borka, and it does just fine. While it may not be the most consistent and accurate thing according to that chart, I'm not trying to assemble the new James Webb Space Telescope either.

Reactions: NavyToad
Hello my friend...I don't really consider the fix-it-sticks torque limiters to be barely adequate and certainly not garbage.

I will of course take your recommendation that the Wiha is a top quality product.

Wishing you and yours a healthy, joyous, and prosperous New Year.

All - by the by, if you have not seen it, Fix-it-sticks has a great listing of torque specs for various rings, action screws, etc.

I come at this from the POV of a professional, not a hobbyist.

YMMV

Hope the best of your 2020 is your worst of 2021

Reactions: Baron23 and ACard
I have used everything mentioned in this thread, bought and sold most, and several other tools not mentioned. I use what makes me happy to use... the end. Am I building space stations or making adjustments on the Hadron Collider... well fuck no... but I am pursuing repeatable results, as we all should be, if we endeavor to shoot ELR. Regardless of which aspect, reloading, optics mounting, blah blah blah... the goal is to systematically remove stacking tolerances in every part of the process I can. Part of that process is by using the implements available, that we are able to, budget and opportunity allowing. Every questionable aspect you can resolve is one step closer to achieving that goal. My goals in elr are completely unrealistic and unattainable... but I will not quit trying to improve every aspect of the process, from fundamentals of marksmanship to the products I use (consumables and non consumables) in the pursuit of this endeavor. The equipment has upgraded in my shooting kit over the decades, I have always used the best I could afford, its a good thing my elbow and wrist were calibrated in inch pounds when I started down this path and could not afford what a torque driver cost in the early years... Point is, use what you can, and as well as you can, with all the knowledge you can and be happy with it. When the time comes and something needs upgrading cross that bridge then.

Attachments

• 76E8F5F2-93AD-45F6-99DD-E241C1C465B8.jpeg
    76E8F5F2-93AD-45F6-99DD-E241C1C465B8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
  • Love
Reactions: Gzilla
Care to elaborate on your rating of Fix it Sticks?

Did they come with a certificate of traceability to a NIST standard?

I have my standards, developed over almost three decades of professional mfg work, including setting up torque strategies for OEM automatic transmission remanufacturing for Honda of America Mfg.

What others consider adequate is not my concern.

Reactions: ACard
I have used everything mentioned in this thread, bought and sold most, and several other tools not mentioned. I use what makes me happy to use... the end. Am I building space stations or making adjustments on the Hadron Collider... well fuck no... but I am pursuing repeatable results, as we all should be, if we endeavor to shoot ELR. Regardless of which aspect, reloading, optics mounting, blah blah blah... the goal is to systematically remove stacking tolerances in every part of the process I can. Part of that process is by using the implements available, that we are able to, budget and opportunity allowing. Every questionable aspect you can resolve is one step closer to achieving that goal. My goals in elr are completely unrealistic and unattainable... but I will not quit trying to improve every aspect of the process, from fundamentals of marksmanship to the products I use (consumables and non consumables) in the pursuit of this endeavor. The equipment has upgraded in my shooting kit over the decades, I have always used the best I could afford, its a good thing my elbow and wrist were calibrated in inch pounds when I started down this path and could not afford what a torque driver cost in the early years... Point is, use what you can, and as well as you can, with all the knowledge you can and be happy with it. When the time comes and something needs upgrading cross that bridge then.

do you really need all those wiha sets😉

do you really need all those wiha sets😉

Lol, interestingly enough they all cover different torque values. It should also be noted that I use them in my profession.

Oh... I bet you mean the micro drivers not torque handles. Minus the comment about torque values above it all still applies, I use them in my profession as well as at home.

I use a snap on torque angle... I just bring it home from the shop when doing maintenance on weapons.

Reactions: 308pirate
Just use my 6th sense to accurately guestimate what feels about right.

Probably more accurate than an
el cheapo torque wrench and less likely to overtorque tiny screws.

I use Checkline TSD.

Did they come with a certificate of traceability to a NIST standard?

I have my standards, developed over almost three decades of professional mfg work, including setting up torque strategies for OEM automatic transmission remanufacturing for Honda of America Mfg.

What others consider adequate is not my concern.
Do we need NIST certs for mounting scopes?

Can't speak for others, but things I was looking for:
- Consistent torque (RTZ)
- Preventing significant over-torque and breaking/stripping fasteners
- Convenient (quick to use, not fiddly, etc)
- Packable (range use)

I've found the Fix it Sticks to meet those requirements nicely.

I have no doubt the Wiha is great....and I may get one just because my Y chromosome needs little justification for buying more tools! :D

Anyways, appreciate your background/knowledge and the reply. Happy New Year.

Reactions: 308pirate
Do we need NIST certs for mounting scopes?

Can't speak for others, but things I was looking for:
- Consistent torque (RTZ)
- Preventing significant over-torque and breaking/stripping fasteners
- Convenient (quick to use, not fiddly, etc)
- Packable (range use)

I've found the Fix it Sticks to meet those requirements nicely.

I have no doubt the Wiha is great....and I may get one just because my Y chromosome needs little justification for buying more tools! :D

Anyways, appreciate your background/knowledge and the reply. Happy New Year.

Some men want tier 1 optics even though lesser ones will do everything we need.

Some men want tier 1 tools for the same reasons.

Hope your best of 202 is your worst of 2021

Reactions: pucker
Busted.... I like $$ optics too.

Would be nice to keep my Fix it Sticks in my range bag, you know, just in case. That means I 'need' something that stays in the toolbox.

For anyone interested, DigiKey is the best price I've found so far on the Wiha 9-45 in/lb, includes bit holder. 😬

I could change all these arguments to foot lbs from inch lbs and this exact argument, err, discussion would be one from motorcycle forums on the proper torque wrench for motorcycle wheels. There it usually comes down to Harbor Freight vs Snap On.

i have specific fix it sticks for the scope rings and the barrel screws (62 in/lbs came with the rifle).
they have been calibrated by top members of the state AND federal Department of Weights and Measures... to be dead on balls accurate!

there was a special deal on the universal kit, so i got that and replaced the bits i don't need with the ones i use but aren't included.
this makes it very convenient although i am just saying when i use and not what anyone else should buy.