• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Increased rifle weight and reduced recoil for injuries.

akmike47

Rumpleforeskin King of the Poors
Minuteman
  • Feb 23, 2013
    So I have neck injuries that cause me severe shoulder pain and I've been working on building a new rifle , I'm looking for a chassis and thinking MPA Comp, or ACC do to the weight kits you can add.

I have a Brux 308 MTU barreled Remington 700 action and I'll be shooting suppressed. Long story short I'm trying to stay in the hobby and wondering how well the extra rifle weight really kills the recoil? I get that a heavier rifle will recoil less, but will a 20 pound rifle kill enough recoil over a 13 pound rifle to make the extra cost worth it?

I have a 13 pound 308 now but it’s the heaviest I own. I should also mention the reason I'm sticking with .308 is I reload for it and have a Remington 40X I'd still like to shoot when I'm able.

I feel like a puss I’ve never been recoil sensitive hand it to me and I’ll shoot it, but multiple injuries sure change things.

Last edited:
    A 20 lbs rifle will have less recoil than a 13 lbs one. But there are other ways to tame recoil such as a muzzle brake or going to a totally different caliber like 6.5 CM.

Reactions: akmike47
    A 20 lbs rifle will have less recoil than a 13 lbs one. But there are other ways to tame recoil such as a muzzle brake or going to a totally different caliber like 6.5 CM.
    I run a suppressor it feels real similar to running a brake. I just had a Brux barrel installed or I would have, got a killer deal couldn't say no to .308.

I feel stupid asking this just haven't had the chance to shoot any real heavy weight rifles to get a feel for how they handle.

Anything heavier has been magnum caliber or .50 BMG.

I guess I'll just eat the cost and add 4-5pounds of weight once I get a chassis.

Last edited:
    Physics is a bitch, but physics can also be your friend. 😉

A friend shoots 6.5PRC w an Omega 300 suppressor and the extra weight on the end of the barrel cuts a surprising amount of recoil. I’m a fan of muzzle brakes (or suppressors) and of heavy rifles to reduce felt recoil. Makes long days of shooting more enjoyable and lets you spot your impacts. Both of my long range rifles are at 14 lbs w scope and bipod and I’d like to add more weight but neither stock / chassis has a way to easily add weight.

Between your suppressor and extra chassis weights I think you’ll be a happy shooter.

You know how much recoil your current rifle have. Punch them in and play around with this. These will obviously be numbers before a brake or can, but this is a very good tool to get a rough idea of how weight and ammo changes play in. If Pay attention to recoil velocity. Even a light recoiling rifle that recoils sharply will hurt.

Reactions: kingaling
    Three things.
    1. Many guys in PRS are now using heavy barrels and weights on MPA chassis to end up with rifles in the 28# range, shooting 6BR and related cartridges!!😳

2. I find that the recoil pulse using a suppressor to be more spread out and less sharp than that with a brake, but a brake reduces total recoil slightly more.

3. There’s no shame in using a recoil pad on your shoulder to mitigate the problems caused by injury. The PAST recoils pads really do work. I keep one in my .338 LM bag for the occasions when recoil shy friends and family want to pull the trigger.

Reactions: Muriner
    Your issue is going to be that a heavier rifle will put more stress on your shoulders and neck when carrying it. I'd look at another lighter recoiling round in a lighter configuration, or you'll be affecting this:
    1600008371195.png

Your issue is going to be that a heavier rifle will put more stress on your shoulders and neck when carrying it. I'd look at another lighter recoiling round in a lighter configuration, or you'll be affecting this:
    View attachment 7422801
    It's funny that you post this picture that's my issue from herniated disks.

I won't be packing at most I'll have to carry it 100 yards so the weight won't be a big issue.

My 223 is a pussy cat to shoot and it's not overly heavy. I would guess 13 pounds total. I don't even want to add any muzzle device because it shoots so quiet and so soft as it is.

If you truly don't want to switch to a different cartridge, look into the APA lil bastard. I have one on my 308 which feels just slightly heavier than my 223. Recoil seems to be minimal.

Three things.
    1. Many guys in PRS are now using heavy barrels and weights on MPA chassis to end up with rifles in the 28# range, shooting 6BR and related cartridges!!😳

2. I find that the recoil pulse using a suppressor to be more spread out and less sharp than that with a brake, but a brake reduces total recoil slightly more.
    3. There’s no shame in using a recoil pad on your shoulder to mitigate the problems caused by injury. The PAST recoils pads really do work. I keep one in my .338 LM bag for the occasions when recoil shy friends and family want to pull the trigger.

1. I have a savage 10 .308 I've been thinking about saving to swap to 6br or .223 Wylde when funds permit....Oh to be a poors 😄

2. I really like my Sandman Ti, but maybe I'll find a self timing brake for the days where I'm bad, the only positive with my injuries is I've become a decent ambidextrous shooter.

3. Couldn't hurt to try this. My neck/shoulder is so tight I can't even shoot handgun competition anymore do to not being able to lift my arm high enough.

I also wonder how much a properly fit rifle would help? I've never shot anything with a long enough LOP, I'm close to 15.5" according to the tape. I'm pretty tall.

3. Couldn't hurt to try this. My neck/shoulder is so tight I can't even shoot handgun competition anymore do to not being able to lift my arm high enough.

I also wonder how much a properly fit rifle would help? I've never shot anything with a long enough LOP, I'm close to 15.5" according to the tape. I'm pretty tall.
    The Super Mag version PAST adds almost an inch of LOP, so could maybe help with that too.

The Super Mag version PAST adds almost an inch of LOP, so could maybe help with that too.
    I have a .308 Remington 40X repeater I need to extend also, I just hate to molest this one too much. Has a 13.5" LOP.

in addition to the aforementioned, i would very strongly advocate having someone take several photos of you set up getting ready to shoot...taken from several angles. addressing and modifying position/fit (length of pull, comb height, position of recoil pad etc.) can make a huge difference.

Reactions: RichMangus
    2nd on the PAST shoulder pad.
    i got one for my wife and daughter years ago when i was teaching them to shoot the 12ga.
    i tried it out on my .308 model 88, and it made a big difference.

as for how much weight matters, you can test on your own rifle by taping on some lead weights
    depending on what kind of shooting you do, a gas gun is going to be different, but also softer.

XLR chassis has a weight option for the stock extension. Also they offer a mercury recoil reducer that fits. I installed one on a 300wm with a clamp on Witt recoil reducer. As it sits without scope its 17lbs on the bathroom scale. I'm hopeful it will be pleasant to shoot.
    My only complaint on the XLR chassis is it's not toolless for LOP and cheek rest adjustment.

Deciding what scope to use. So I haven't fired it in this configuration yet.

20200903_160439.jpg

XLR chassis has a weight option for the stock extension. Also they offer a mercury recoil reducer that fits. I installed one on a 300wm with a clamp on Witt recoil reducer. As it sits without scope its 17lbs on the bathroom scale. I'm hopeful it will be pleasant to shoot.
    My only complaint on the XLR chassis is it's not toolless for LOP and cheek rest adjustment.

Deciding what scope to use. So I haven't fired it in this configuration yet.

View attachment 7423018
    I think an MPA Comp or MDT ACC are my best bets.

Reactions: Halfnutz and lash
    Now to find a MDT ACC I can swing.

Anybody know where I can get some of them half cripple discounts? 😄

Reactions: lash
    Black Friday sales. IIRC, they save blems to sell them for huge discounts.
    I’m always working and miss them is the problem haha. I need to buy a good bipod too.

Still hunting screwed up and missed out on an ACC with some weights and now all I find are pretty much new prices. Hard to be patient I can’t lie.

Got offered a MPA comp for $750 but I don’t think it’ll get as heavy as an ACC,and I think I’m liking the idea of really getting the bipod out farther.

It's funny that you post this picture that's my issue from herniated disks.

I won't be packing at most I'll have to carry it 100 yards so the weight won't be a big issue.
    20200527_110705.jpg
    20200527_110616.jpg

Same. I went from 7mm-08 to a 6BR to reduce the recoil. I had massive pain going from my neck down both arms to my hands to where I would lose feeling and drop things.

Doc

@Doc68 was the switch to 6BR a meaningful recoil reduction? I’m looking at a build for 6cm, 6BR, or 6dasher.

I already have a 15 lb rifle in 6cm w great dope. Not excited about starting over but I will if it’s worth it.

@Doc68 was the switch to 6BR a meaningful recoil reduction? I’m looking at a build for 6cm, 6BR, or 6dasher.
    Oh yes. A lot of difference between the 7mm and 6BR. With the extreme duty M4-72 brake its literally like shooting a 22LR bolt rifle. 100% of impacts seen.

Fantastic! I have a Nomad-L w EBrake in NFA jail. In a heavy BR that ought to be a pussycat.

Just a good brake makes a huge difference.
    My 13# braked 260 is named buttercup.

Adding weight is just icing on the cake.
    A heavy braked 6BR would be amazing to shoot.

Many people comment on how mild my 18# braked 7 saum shoots launching 190’s at 2880.

Reactions: Newbie2020
    Something else to consider, why not tame your loads a bit too? Depending on intended distance/use, you could shoot a 155gr bullet and maybe even a little slower than normal. Those things helps with recoil too. Also, don't get a brake, brakes are for gays. Stick with a suppressor!

I'm going to kind of ignore the gun/caliber question for a moment and ask the obvious question; If you're this functionally impaired what action have you taken to fix it? I think I'd be looking into that more than a caliber swap or a heavier gun. It's obviously affecting your life in other ways. Before Tom Hanks and his disease came to being I would go swim 2 miles a week, I could really tell when I did and didn't because it kept my shoulder w/issues looser. I also have a weight and try to exercise my shoulder muscles say 3-4 times a week. Don't always succeed there either but I try. It may be somewhat costly and time consuming but changing caliber, loading or rifle parameters are somewhat costly and time consuming as well without the benefit of improving the entirety of your life.

I tend not to shoot big calibers (hence all my dumb questions in other threads on 243 win) because I do have some issues there that I am admittedly not tending to the way I should. I would strongly consider a caliber swap or load reduction. Depending on the range you're shooting at it may not be a huge deal. While I think that 308 is a good caliber and perfectly functional for a huge amount of things your case seems like a really good one for something in 6 or 6.5mm provided you've got the bank to spend on it.

Something else to consider, why not tame your loads a bit too? Depending on intended distance/use, you could shoot a 155gr bullet and maybe even a little slower than normal. Those things helps with recoil too. Also, don't get a brake, brakes are for gays. Stick with a suppressor!
    I use a brake for a thread protector lol

I'm going to kind of ignore the gun/caliber question for a moment and ask the obvious question; If you're this functionally impaired what action have you taken to fix it? I think I'd be looking into that more than a caliber swap or a heavier gun. It's obviously affecting your life in other ways. Before Tom Hanks and his disease came to being I would go swim 2 miles a week, I could really tell when I did and didn't because it kept my shoulder w/issues looser. I also have a weight and try to exercise my shoulder muscles say 3-4 times a week. Don't always succeed there either but I try. It may be somewhat costly and time consuming but changing caliber, loading or rifle parameters are somewhat costly and time consuming as well without the benefit of improving the entirety of your life.

I tend not to shoot big calibers (hence all my dumb questions in other threads on 243 win) because I do have some issues there that I am admittedly not tending to the way I should. I would strongly consider a caliber swap or load reduction. Depending on the range you're shooting at it may not be a huge deal. While I think that 308 is a good caliber and perfectly functional for a huge amount of things your case seems like a really good one for something in 6 or 6.5mm provided you've got the bank to spend on it.
    $$$ is the issue, I'm a poor.

I go to the Doc a few times a month it just isn't a quick fix it took a year to make progress last time, trying to just get by till then and avoid surgery.

I don't get to shoot any large calibers at all right now, and can't lift my arm high enough to shoot pistol(strong hand). It sucks I used to shoot everything, recoil wasn't anything. Now I feel like a frail old man lol.

I have an assortment to choose from, but can't shoot my 10/22 600+ lol.

Honestly my barrel was a gift or I may have went 6BR or 6x47 instead. Hard to say no to gift prices. Also I just want a chassis rifle to tell the truth.

Reactions: lash
    I have a ton of 178gr but I load on the light side to conserve components more than anything. It's real windy at the range also, It's not out of the ordinary to dial a full mil and still hit the opposite edge at 600. Heavy rounds seem to do best

LC brass
    175 SMK/178 ELD-M
    41.5 varget/42ish IMR 4064(still working on the 4064 load)
    Win LRP
    2560fps on average I believe

A trick I used to employ before I started building my rifles was to place a bag of lead shot between the rifle butt and my shoulder.

It's more mass, no heavy gun required, and it serves the same purpose a lot cheaper and easier.

Greg

Reactions: Doc68
    Chiming in to suggest a recoil pad.

Interesting tidbit--It was 95+ recently and I went to shoot my 300WM (t-shirt+magnum == PAIN!!!). I had bought a Pachmyr recoil pad to try and tone the bad boy down as I had load development to get through. Just in case that didn't work, I had an older shoulder pad I used in the past for 12 guage slugs and such.

When using both, it REALLY negated recoil (turns out shoulder pad not needed--but I tried it). Now mind you it wasn't like a 22, but it was almost like wearing armor--the recoild felt very blunted. Look at using both a stock recoil pad and shoulder recoil pad if that what keeps you going.

I bet with a muzzle device, some pads, and that larger (weight) rifle we keep you in the game. (I got some shoulder exercises of my own to do--lucky for me it doesn't affect my shooting. Unlucky for me, it hurts to wipe my ass TMI TMI TMI!!!)

• Haha
    Chiming in to suggest a recoil pad.

Interesting tidbit--It was 95+ recently and I went to shoot my 300WM (t-shirt+magnum == PAIN!!!). I had bought a Pachmyr recoil pad to try and tone the bad boy down as I had load development to get through. Just in case that didn't work, I had an older shoulder pad I used in the past for 12 guage slugs and such.

When using both, it REALLY negated recoil (turns out shoulder pad not needed--but I tried it). Now mind you it wasn't like a 22, but it was almost like wearing armor--the recoild felt very blunted. Look at using both a stock recoil pad and shoulder recoil pad if that what keeps you going.

I bet with a muzzle device, some pads, and that larger (weight) rifle we keep you in the game. (I got some shoulder exercises of my own to do--lucky for me it doesn't affect my shooting. Unlucky for me, it hurts to wipe my ass TMI TMI TMI!!!)
    It's hard to wipe weak hand too!

Found a chassis.

Cerakoted ACC
    3 internal weights
    4 external(2 large, 2 small)
    OB Inc grip
    SAP 2 round holder
    Wiebad cheek pad

Last edited:
    I have had spinal issues for 15 years and had to sell my M1A collection and all of my shot guns and it sucked.Now I shoot the 223AI with a break on it and just love the calibre.I also shoot a whole lot of 22 rf and the Vudoo with the ZC 4X20 has become one of my favorite toys.