• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Info? - Suppressed Rifle Hunts to Control Deer

G

My town is mulling over solutions for bringing the in-town deer herds to manageable levels.
They are eating everything in sight, and keeping the body shops in business, but the town officials have their heads firmly up their asses with regards to how they could be culled.

They argue over it not being safe to use firearms in town and they shy away from conversations about bow hunting.

I know better.

I know there are large wooded tracts in town that hold large numbers of the hoofed rats.
I know of one powerline right of way that could be hunted by marksmen with suppressed rifles, and yield dozens of deer, while the neighborhood's residents went about their daily activities none the wiser.

So the question is, where is this being done today and to what level of success?

Re: Info? - Suppressed Rifle Hunts to Control Deer

I dunno in town... rifle rds travel a LONG LONG way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno in town... rifle rds travel a LONG LONG way. </div></div>

I hear you, but around here, there are dense patches of timber and thickets. Elevated stands add to the safety factor considerably.

In the areas I have in mind, it would have to be one super incredible magic bullet to miss the animal, miss the ground, and thread its way through a maze of pines so thick that they barely allow daylight to penetrate.

Bowhunting has been discussed, but given the way an arrowed deer can cut loose and run for a half mile or more before giving it up... It could get ugly in downtown my town.

The hard part is, who decides whom is qualified to take the shot and who isn't?

In the Chicago area, airports, municipalities and counties contract with USDA's Wildlife Services personnel who use suppressed rifles for their work.

All yall need to do is let a bunch of coonasses come down there with rifles and bows and i gaurantee we will handle the problem bcause first we shoot it then we ask can we eat that?

Texas has had contracted hunts for ferrel hog, videos' have been on here, with success in terms of killing, but a lot more need to be killed. Texas still won't let you shoot deer w/suppressors (although you can shoot hog).

Deers can do alot of damage to a vehicle, (and a poor dog); there are times herds need non-natural culling. Everyone knows a suppressed rifle will be the best approach if done with utmost respect for safety.

But the "Oh, but we won't have a round go long/lost" higher than though mentality is ignorant and comments how "rounds travel" are well-intended. I have seen very good, competent shooters, some with over a million rounds sent via firearm under their belt, that will still occasionally screw up their dope or AD in training or a comp. In a community, yes, a culling shoot can still be done, but there should be a whole lot extra measures to make it safe. Those concerned, give 'em notice and let them "honker down" if they prefer, use a curfew, whatever it takes to minimize risk. But if you fail to acknowledge risk I think you will be more likely to lose that town meeting. Your biggest battle to win this one will be done with the brain by two-legged creatures. Getting the data you want to present, (yes your original intent of the thread) is all & good, but mindset will come into play.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> they shy away from conversations about bow hunting.</div></div>
it would seem prudent to have bow hunters take them out. They just need to be educated on bows. That would seem to be a solution or shotguns only. I am pretty sure that is the way they do it in Norfolk - VA Beach area. I would have to read the VA Game book again but I believe it discussed it in there.

What about suppressed .22 head shots at short range (<25m)? If they're anything like the ones local to me, I could just slide up the window and the neighbors would just see deer falling over.

There was a hunt like this last year in the yuppy liberal kansas side of kansas city. The deer population has been exploding to unsafe levels in shawnee mission park and wildlife management finally decided to do something about it. So they hired sharpshooters but didn't meet the quota. So they opened a second season to bow hunters that met the requirements.

Man oh man the hippies had a field day. They held candle light vigils outside the park for the deer. They had a 'funeral motorcade' that drove across town. Who cares that the meat was donated to Share the Harvest to feed the needy and homeless. Libs care too much about saving deer and not helping starving humans.

check out some of these crazy stories

http://www.kmbc.com/news/21257059/detail.html

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2009/12/fune...s_afternoon.php

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/11/please-dont-massacre-the-deer/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SaltyDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man oh man the hippies had a field day. They held candle light vigils outside the park for the deer. They had a 'funeral motorcade' that drove across town. Who cares that the meat was donated to Share the Harvest to feed the needy and homeless. Libs care too much about saving deer and not helping starving humans.</div></div>
should have offered them some back strap - mmm, good - better than Filet Mignon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
should have offered them some back strap - mmm, good - better than Filet Mignon </div></div>

Don't get me started. I'm dying for a nice juicy deer steak. hell i'd settle for a piece of deer jerky. Fall can't get here fast enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.whitebuffaloinc.org/techniques.html

These guys are very effective at using suppressed rifles in urban settings </div></div>

Thanks.
That's exactly what I was looking for.