• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Input on two barrels for 223 SBR

loveha

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 31, 2018
    NW Lower Michigan
    Working on a 223 SBR. I have been debating about on which of the two following barrels I want.
    First barrel is a Criterion 12.5" Hybrid Carbine Chrome Lined
    The second barrel is a LaRue 12" Stealth Barrel (Anybody have any details on barrel material and gas block size?)

The price matters none, I'm leaning towards the Criterion. It's going inside of a 10" Radian Upper Receiver/Hand Guard combo (been on order since Sept 23...) with a Cryptic BCG in mystic black. Gas block is a Lantac set screw with a Spike's melonited gas tube. Main concern is the gas block set screw spacing will not work with the predrilled 3 hole design for the LaRue, where the Criterion just has the standard one hole drilled for one set screw and block alignment.

Have the Radian lower on order through Brownells, but of course who knows when anybody is getting their hands on them. So for now it is going on my F1 Firearms lower I SBR'd for my 300BLK awaiting it's DeadAir Sandman TI can. (17" hand guard on a 12.5" barrel)

If anybody else has other suggestions I'm willing to entertain them. Needs to be for a .750 gas block and carbine gas as I already have the block and tube.

LaRue makes nice barrels but Criterion has a long reputation of quality especially in long range shooting.

Rumor has it that Centurion Arms is going to offer their 12.5” barrel again. They have a reputation of being very accurate. Monty uses FN hammer forged chrome lined barrels to his spec.

It’s an 11.5”, but Sionics offers one with a reduced gas port size for suppressor use.

Again, if 11.5 is an option and you don’t mind/have the ability to shave a pinned FSB, this is an excellent option and the route I’d probably go.http://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-115-556-Heavy-Barrel_p_286.html

Last edited:
    I use Noveske barrels in SBR's. They come with a pinned gas block and some come with the bolt. If you feel you need the switchable gas block, they have one with two positions that everyone says is great. One setting for suppressed, the other not. I've never had a problem with them cycling and I don't use adj. gas blocks on any of my rifles. They're well made and worth a look.

I don't know what carrier you use but I'd take a hard look at the JP Ent. FMOS carrier. It's VERY well made and coated and polished to be super slick. Not only is easy as hell to clean, it never causes any problems. When I started using 'em a decade ago, I never went back. Their bolts are great too.

I just got one of those criterion barrels in 11.5" but have yet to shoot it.

I also have a Larue 16" barrel on one of their UU kits. I shot a 1.01" 10 round group with it (aggregate of 2 5 round groups...one at 0.9" and one at 0.66").

I second Criterion, especially if your going to be doing more high volume shooting vs. shooting for accuracy. Being a SBR I'm assuming it's going to be more of a high volume rifle.

That's a good length also, 12.5", I've had 10.5" before and they can be a bit harsh running even with a can. 12.5" is about perfect for balance too.