• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting New Entry Level Rifle The Ruger American Predator

Wow - those look fairly nice. It's nice to see that "varmint" didn't lead to "uselessly long barrels with uselessly slow twist rates" in this case.

I predict that a couple of these will find their way into my safe before the end of summer.

I picked up an American in 270 and it shoots pretty well given the price point (1-1.5 moa at 100 with Federal Powershock 130gr) on my first outing with the rifle (front bag, rear bag, shooting bench). The trigger was very acceptable as well. This looks to be a great little rifle if the barrel holds up for multiple shots.

Jeff Quinn's "reviews" are trash.

Really???
What's the basis for this opinion?
I try to read all reviews of a product before I buy, then take that info for what I think it's worth. Like sifting through mud sometimes. I know some writers get kickbacks or free products from manufacturers and so they are biased. Is this the reason for your opinion, or are there other factors?
I am sincerely curious. Please tell.

For an inexspensive rifle,.............I`ve looked at them.... held them and talked to owners.....I`m going to get a 308....I think they hit a home run with this gun...........

A 1/8 twist, threaded barrel .223 bolt action? Yes, please. I see a new bolt gun in my near future as another can host.

Really???
What's the basis for this opinion?
I try to read all reviews of a product before I buy, then take that info for what I think it's worth. Like sifting through mud sometimes. I know some writers get kickbacks or free products from manufacturers and so they are biased. Is this the reason for your opinion, or are there other factors?
I am sincerely curious. Please tell.

Everything he gets is free and there's not a single gun he reviews that he doesn't like. Try and find a negative review or one in which a gun had problems. Jeff is the living embodiment of the bad old days of gun media when you couldn't get truth in a gun review.

Just an observation and thought , but wouldn't restocking and putting new bottom metal on defeat the purpose/concept of a low cost truck type gun?

The American receiver looks very nice, and may indeed be preferable to the Rem700 and Savage as a platform for a medium-cost custom build. Right now, the lack of suitable stocks, bottom metal, and triggers are a problem, but given a few years of brisk sales, I suspect these problems will be remedied by the aftermarket.

Just an observation and thought , but wouldn't restocking and putting new bottom metal on defeat the purpose/concept of a low cost truck type gun?

People take Stevens 200's and drop a ton of money in them. This is no different and appears to be a better action design. I'd have no problem spending as much as I did on the gun or a little more on a decent fiberglass stock with aluminum bedding block and a bottom metal for AICS mags.

Everything he gets is free and there's not a single gun he reviews that he doesn't like. Try and find a negative review or one in which a gun had problems. Jeff is the living embodiment of the bad old days of gun media when you couldn't get truth in a gun review.

Ok, I get that. That pretty much does make his reviews more like a paid advertisement. Good to know, thanks for you're feedback. What is you're opinion of "The truth about guns" reviews? I track their review quite a bit.

On another note... My kid sister bought the ruger American compact with a 12.5" lop last year and loves it. Fits her perfect, she is only 4'11" and ain't gonna grow any more. We've only put about 30 rounds through it, but no complaints so far other than for such a lite .308, it's got a little bite to it.

I just got finished screwing a set of Tech Sights to a Ruger American Rimfire for my sons birthday. I like this little rifle.

On the threaded muzzle. Can a muzzle brake of the correct diameter and thread pitch simply be screwed on and be ready to go or will it need fitting by a gunsmith to work correctly?

On the threaded muzzle. Can a muzzle brake of the correct diameter and thread pitch simply be screwed on and be ready to go or will it need fitting by a gunsmith to work correctly?

Depends on the brake; some can be screwed on, others timed with a crush washer, others will need to be timed by removing metal.

Great concept. I wonder what the magazine lengths will be like? I would hate to be limited to single feeding with the long bullets.

Not bad at all...I recently bought a Ruger m77 hawkeye varmint/target model in .204. Shoots lights out! I'm currently in the middle of a Savage build but when I'm finished with that, one of these in a .308 would be sweet!

Also, Glades Armory makes aftermarket heavier, tactical style bolt handle/knobs for the Ruger American series. Very attractive and reasonably priced. I have one on a savage I own and it was def worth the money.

Last edited:
I know these are not out yet, but any idea what the real world price on a .308 model will cost? Any educated guesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know these are not out yet, but any idea what the real world price on a .308 model will cost? Any educated guesses?

I'd guess a street price around $400, given street pricing of "regular" Ruger Americans relative to MSRP.

Looks like the 223 & 308 model are starting to hit web vendors at a $360-400 price point.

Ruger AMER-P 308 PRED MTBLK $362.00 SHIPS FREE
Ruger AMER-P 223 PRED MTBLK $362.00 SHIPS FREE

I dropped by a LGS today who had a regular sporter Ruger American; the plastic rotary 308 magazine allows a max OAL of roughly 2.85" according to calipers. The particular model at the shop also wasn't as slick as a Tikka action it appears to be a copy of (down to the plastic bolt shroud), but I'm sure some lube and cycling the bolt a couple thousand types would break it in.

Jeff Quinn's "reviews" are trash.

I think Jeff's have a certain amount of bias because companies all seek him out and send him their best T&E guns. I don't think he's biased himself. This was really obvious in the R51 where his worked perfectly but soooo many people had issues with the gun.

I just picked up the predator, my first 308 and first precision rifle!
Not to change the topic of the thread but can anyone confirm that this would be a good scope for this rifle?
Leupold Rifleman Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Wide Duplex Reticle Matte
planning to use low rings and eventually to put a silencerco harvester on

Just bought a .308 Walmart here in branson has them for 385 I bought mine at a gunship instead 400 out the door i had a regular .308 American and this is everything i wished that gun was (traded it for bow) the barrel measures .665 at the thread shoulder about .100 thicker than the regular rar

ericg86 said:
the barrel measures .665 at the thread shoulder about .100 thicker than the regular rar

That's what Quinn said his 22" 223 muzzle measured at; I would have thought the shorter 18" 308 would be "thicker".

lugs.jpg

Looks like metal "v-blocks" molded into the stock replace a traditional recoil lug...while not insurmountable, I can't help but think that's going to greatly impact aftermarket stock support.

lugs.jpg

Looks like metal "v-blocks" molded into the stock replace a traditional recoil lug...while not insurmountable, I can't help but think that's going to greatly impact aftermarket stock support.

Could you not just bed action recesses into the new stock???, possibly tape on the front of the "V" for clearance (like a normal recoil lug)? how close in diameter is the bottom of the action to regular round actions? Assume this is a single feed setup, how close to feeding from "other" (AI, AR or FAL) standard mags?

HMMMMMM.......

I'm pretty sure stockys makes a cheap laminate already and ptg's ruger bottom metal says it will fit the RAR with an aftermarket stock..... that's a start.

Does anybody make decent stocks or bottom metals for these yet?

Doesn't do you much good for bottom metal but I was told at NRA that Boyd's will be releasing a stock for all Ruger American Centerfires in the next month or two.

The tactical bolt handles on ebay look pretty damn sweet too as far as barrell diameter goes I think theyre all the same on the outside save the threads and then bored different

I've been really interested in a stainless .223 but having looked at them am very concerned about how limber the forend is. Haven't seen the predator yet, but sure do wish they offered it in stainless.

The 8" twist .223 is very interesting. There's a fella on the campfire that has designed and is going to produce a replacement for the back half of the magazine that will allow 75gr Amaxes to be seated to the lands. We are really gonna have a winner when that goes into production. He called Ruger about it. Those geniuses weren't interested. Go figure…

Ruger .223 magazine extension:

Update on Ruger American .223 mag mod - 24hourcampfire

John

Since it has a barrel nut couldn't you put a recoil lug on it and ditch the v blocks all together and use any stock you wanted? Obviously a smith would have to inlet the stock but would it really be that hard?

Since it has a barrel nut couldn't you put a recoil lug on it and ditch the v blocks all together and use any stock you wanted? Obviously a smith would have to inlet the stock but would it really be that hard?

Bingo.

The only thing holding things up is the DBM bottom metal.