• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting thought: What am I? Am I the bulb that carries the light? Or am I the light of which the bulb is a vehicle?

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    The problem in middle life, when the body has reached its climax of power and begins to decline, is to identify yourself, not with the body, which is falling away, but with the consciousness of which it is a vehicle. This is something I learned from myths. What am I? Am I the bulb that carries the light? Or am I the light of which the bulb is a vehicle?
    One of the psychological problems in growing old is the fear of death. People resist the door of death. But this body is a vehicle of consciousness, and if you can identify with the consciousness, you can watch this body go like an old car. There goes the fender, there goes the tire, one thing after another— but it’s predictable. And then, gradually, the whole thing drops off, and consciousness, rejoins consciousness. It is no longer in this particular environment. ~Joseph Campbell

The Power of Myth https://amzn.to/3O8JCfL)

Religion worked all this out thousands of years ago.
    Religion is based on manipulation and control and never worked out anything. The Truth on the other hand...

I just see his statement as another way of stating the same truth.

I must say, at times I feel like my bulb has burnt out.

1689190882773.png

Religion is based on manipulation and control and never worked out anything. The Truth on the other hand...

I just see his statement as another way of stating the same truth.

I must say, at times I feel like my bulb has burnt out.

If you feel like your "bulb has burnt out" then that's where you need faith and God's strength in your life.
    If you seek God's help earnestly, He will answer you.

We survive our physical death. And I have faced death a few times and have survived the passing of others. Live long enough and it is going to happen.

Eat right, exercise, reduce stress, get plenty of sleep and sometime between 70 and 100 you will die.

Joseph Campbell is way outside the purview of the typer sniper crowd, @Maggot. The idea of a thousand “gods” acting out the same basic mythologies, regardless of original time or place, is anathema to our local crowd of biblical literalists.

He also said: Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.

If you haven’t read The Power of Myth, it’s a thinking person's book, for sure.

Reactions: Papamo and Maggot
    Joseph Campbell is way outside the purview of the typer sniper crowd, @Maggot. The idea of a thousand “gods” acting out the same basic mythologies, regardless of original time or place, is anathema to our local crowd of biblical literalists.

He also said: Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.

If you haven’t read The Power of Myth, it’s a thinking person's book, for sure.
    Im not worried about the biblical literalists, I learned independent thought and to question everything. That which is true will stand the test. Grain and chaff.

I've studied all the major religions and found threads of truth in all, the possible exception being Islam. That seems the ravings of a madman.

I have not read The Power of Myth but if I come across a copy its on the bucket list.

Reactions: OREGUN
    If you fear death, you are behind the power curve. It is coming for you, and nothing can stop it. Acceptance is the only way to live your life while you are here.
    I didnt say that, Campbell did. I have no fear of death. Pain and suffering I'd rather avoid as much as possible. 🙃

Last edited:
    If you feel like your "bulb has burnt out" then that's where you need faith and God's strength in your life.
    If you seek God's help earnestly, He will answer you.
    Sometimes the answer can be long in coming. St. Theresa of Avila spoke of it in The Dark Night of the Soul.

i don't believe in oblivion, or at least the ability to experience oblivion.
    because of this, i feel your existence here can only be followed by another conscience existence.
    perhaps it is a long wait :p

Im not worried about the biblical literalists, I learned independent thought and to question everything. That which is true will stand the test. Grain and chaff.

I've studied all the major religions and found threads of truth in all, the possible exception being Islam. That seems the ravings of a madman.

I have not read The Power of Myth but if I come across a copy its on the bucket list.
    My copy came from my father’s library and is covered with his notations. If not for that, I’d send it to you.

Reactions: Maggot
    Sometimes the answer can be long in coming. St. Theresa of Avila spoke of it in The Dark Night of the Soul.

Sometimes the final answer to a question or problem may require you to wait on it being the right time.

Heavenly Father will never forsake any of His faithful children when they are going through trying times or difficulties.
    He always stands ready to give you strength, comfort and support when you need it most.
    Study the scriptures earnestly, pray fervently with hope and faith.
    You might be well served by seeking out the company of others who are strong in the Faith and listen to their testimonies, pray with them, study the scriptures together with them.

Remember that whatever you might be suffering about, Jesus Christ understands and has felt your pain and stands ready to strengthen you if you ask sincerely.

It does not mean all your problems will magically vanish, many times there is a plan behind dark times in one way or another, but there is always strength and comfort to help you get through it.

I am the B B fired from the red rider that shattered the bulb, and that all I'll ever be ever be ever be ever b,b,b,b,b

• Haha
    My brother came up with a line that has stuck with me to this day.

"I laugh at pain. Your pain."

He made me proud with that one.

• Haha
    Sometimes the final answer to a question or problem may require you to wait on it being the right time.

Heavenly Father will never forsake any of His faithful children when they are going through trying times or difficulties.
    He always stands ready to give you strength, comfort and support when you need it most.
    Study the scriptures earnestly, pray fervently with hope and faith.
    You might be well served by seeking out the company of others who are strong in the Faith and listen to their testimonies, pray with them, study the scriptures together with them.

Remember that whatever you might be suffering about, Jesus Christ understands and has felt your pain and stands ready to strengthen you if you ask sincerely.

It does not mean all your problems will magically vanish,
    many times
    there is a plan behind dark times in one way or another, but there is always strength and comfort to help you get through it.
    Good post. The only real alteration I'd make, is that if one believes as you confess, rather than 'many times', it should be 'always'.

i don't believe in oblivion, or at least the ability to experience oblivion.
    because of this, i feel your existence here can only be followed by another conscience existence.
    perhaps it is a long wait :p
    From my experience, a very short wait.

A true story:

When my grandmother, a humble good woman who swung a mean switch, died I felt all this grief start to well up inside. I walked outside to take a breath of fresh air and she appeared to me, her torso surrounded in a beautiful golden light. She spoke to me and said "Don't grieve, it's so much better here, so much better." Then the vision passed. Since that time I've not feared death.

My copy came from my father’s library and is covered with his notations. If not for that, I’d send it to you.
    Thanks, I'll find a copy. I tried to PM you but you limit who can do that.

There was a six part PBS series on it as well.

Middle age and children have changed my perspective. I'm not really afraid of death, per se... I just want to go out on my own terms.

I want to be able to look back and say with certainty that I produced more than I consumed, gave back to the community and raised my boys to be better men than I was. If so, I'm at peace. I don't really care if I'm 40 or 80.

Be the man you want to be remembered as. Worry less about how many days you have left and more about how to make the most of today.

We did not experience our birth. We cannot experience our own death.

This thread smells worse than vomited Indian food.
    It was fine until you checked in, but now, yes it smells terrible. You seem to have that effect everywhere you go, never contributing anything positive, only stinking up others efforts. It shows.

Reactions: Ronws
    It was fine until you checked in, but now, yes it smells terrible. You seem to have that effect everywhere you go, never contributing anything positive, only stinking up others efforts. It shows.
    Effort? Cut/paste? At least my comments are inventive, poignant and timely. Some people are just so ungrateful.

Hold on. If you didnt experience your own birth, who did?
    I cannot remember when my awareness started. At some point, I was "here." But I don't know when or in what stages. I think the same goes with death. You don't actually feel or experience a stoppage.

I beg to differ. My missus is not into bestiality.
    What you have to realize with these idiots is that "He who smelt it, dealt it." They've never had or posted a creative thought in their lives so they lurk around shitting on those who do. They think its funny but it really just exposes them for the filth they really are.

Last edited:
    What you have to realize with these idiots is that "He who smelt it, dealt it." They've never had or posted a creative thought in their lives so they lurk around shitting on those who do. They think its funny but it really just exposes them for the filth they really are.
    I have been around here long enough to realize that he does not like me, or you. But just as importantly, he is here to shit on things. Like the kid who runs in the room to break wind and thinks it's funny and others look at him and roll their eyes.

So, I am not going to get upset or twisted on what he says. However, I do think a piquant bon mot now and then is fun and it is good to laugh at myself, as well.

And that is all that it is. Words. He says what he says specifically to rattle the chains of one person or another.

And I don't ignore or block him or others. It is very much like the car wreck on the other side of the freeway. You have seen wrecks before but you are going to look at this one, too, if only to see a decapitated head on the pavement.

Nothing pleases him and others like more than to see someone else get upset and boisterous. I used to work with a guy like that. Once I realized it was a game, I cracked the code. He said, "Pendejo, you are just no fun anymore."

"Why is that?" I replied.

"It doesn't matter what I do, you don't get mad."

And I had sounding rejoinders for him, too. One day, he was commiserating that he had been trying to "get into her pants" (his fiance) for the past few weeks.

I said, "I've met your fiance. You are twice her size and there is no way her panties are going to fit you."

He did a spit take with his water. See, timing is everything.

The problem in middle life, when the body has reached its climax of power and begins to decline, is to identify yourself, not with the body, which is falling away, but with the consciousness of which it is a vehicle. This is something I learned from myths. What am I? Am I the bulb that carries the light? Or am I the light of which the bulb is a vehicle?
    One of the psychological problems in growing old is the fear of death. People resist the door of death. But this body is a vehicle of consciousness, and if you can identify with the consciousness, you can watch this body go like an old car. There goes the fender, there goes the tire, one thing after another— but it’s predictable. And then, gradually, the whole thing drops off, and consciousness, rejoins consciousness. It is no longer in this particular environment. ~Joseph Campbell

The Power of Myth https://amzn.to/3O8JCfL)

Call me crazy, but I personally believe I have been in direct contact with the spirits, beings, entities on the other side, what ever you wish to call them. The exchanges went something like this. In one instance, purposely induced, I left my body and literally blasted up into the heavens and came to find myself in front of 3 beings. They looked at me befuddled, and asked me what I was doing here in their presence. I said I didn't know. They said you need to go back, you are not ready to be here yet. Then I fell back though the "port hole" that brought me into their presence and back into my body. That was one of 2 times in my life were I personally believe I have experienced the divine. The other was being visited by my grandfather after my grandmother died, he came to tell me he found her and everything was okay.

Those two experiences put me at comfort with what we call death. While it is not something I seek and I wish to avoid as long as possible, when it is your time, it is your time. Don't spend your effort worrying about it, just live, be and enjoy as you can. When you are ready they, who or what ever they are, will call your number.

That same grandpa who visited me, was a devote Catholic, told me this, you know I may be wrong about it. But what if I am right. I liked that.

Whats out there, I can't quite put my finger on. But I have a comfort that it is there and don't need to worry about it.

Call me crazy, but I personally believe I have been in direct contact with the spirits, beings, entities on the other side, what ever you wish to call them. The exchanges went something like this. In one instance, purposely induced, I left my body and literally blasted up into the heavens and came to find myself in front of 3 beings. They looked at me befuddled, and asked me what I was doing here in their presence. I said I didn't know. They said you need to go back, you are not ready to be here yet. Then I fell back though the "port hole" that brought me into their presence and back into my body. That was one of 2 times in my life were I personally believe I have experienced the divine. The other was being visited by my grandfather after my grandmother died, he came to tell me he found her and everything was okay.

Those two experiences put me at comfort with what we call death. While it is not something I seek and I wish to avoid as long as possible, when it is your time, it is your time. Don't spend your effort worrying about it, just live, be and enjoy as you can. When you are ready they, who or what ever they are, will call your number.

That same grandpa who visited me, was a devote Catholic, told me this, you know I may be wrong about it. But what if I am right. I liked that.

Whats out there, I can't quite put my finger on. But I have a comfort that it is there and don't need to worry about it.
    Great post. I've had a few of those experiences. They are powerful and life changing. I usually dont post much of it on line, too many who like to sling shit on anything they cant understand. They are real, youre not crazy.

That was also called Pascal's Wager. There might not be a God but act like there is one, just in case.

The problem with that is the sense of honesty. It is better to honestly believe than it is to "fake it."

I also have had personal experiences that we survive physical death and that some emotional maturation continues, as well.

But I think there is also some hell. And part of that is a saying my mom had for bad people. "May God have mercy on your soul. I will not."

And, if someone had wronged us kids, she would say, "When I am done, you will wish to God you had never met me."

And she was right. Even if the other person was agnostic. In the end, they were believing in God for the sole purpose of wishing they had never met her.

I am a mellow version of her.

Reactions: GreenGO Juan
    That was also called Pascal's Wager. There might not be a God but act like there is one, just in case.

The problem with that is the sense of honesty. It is better to honestly believe than it is to "fake it."

I also have had personal experiences that we survive physical death and that some emotional maturation continues, as well.

But I think there is also some hell. And part of that is a saying my mom had for bad people. "May God have mercy on your soul. I will not."

And, if someone had wronged us kids, she would say, "When I am done, you will wish to God you had never met me."

And she was right. Even if the other person was agnostic. In the end, they were believing in God for the sole purpose of wishing they had never met her.

I am a mellow version of her.
    I fond a better understanding of all that, and in what Christ meant when he said "Treat you nighbor as you wish to be treated. in two aligned thoughts from different venues.

-"Every action has an equal and opposite reaction." A. Einstein

-"You reap as you sow." Bible.

For me its not whether God exists or not. Though I do believe in the divine, whether or not it exists is (relatively) unimportant. Based on the two statements above, I govern my actions by realizing that whatever I put out will return, generally multiplied. Thats not to dey the place of compassion, only to qualify at least one reason for why we should act in accordance with it.