• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Interim FN SPR A1 10 Rd Mag Capability

CDAT

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2006
Lampasas Texas
FYI for SPR A1 Owners. Recently I ordered two 10 Round A5 Mags from Midway in anticipation of the conversion kit FN is supposed to be working on to give the A1 a 10 round mag capability. Externally they are identical to the 4-round mags except for the following: no slot in the front left of the mag (as viewd from the rear)for the mag ejection spring, and no stamped out tabs on the front and rear for the mag catch and rear support slot in the A1 bottom metal.

Cutting a slot for the mag ejection spring was simple with a dermal and small grinding wheel (use a 4-round mag as a guide for locating and sizing the slot). Getting a tab on the front and rear of the mag was a bit more of a challenge. Tried an epoxy build up but it came of under mag insertion stress. Tried building up a weld bead but the mag metal is too thin and almost burnt a hole in the mag. Would have tried spot welding a piece of material to the mags but do not have access to a spot welder.

My final interim solution, I drilled small holes in the front and rear of the mags and slightly beveled the holes inside the mags. Cut the heads off of 8P nails and used them as rivets. Used a long punch to brad them over and finished them with a dermal mounted small grinding wheel to ensure they did not interfere with the mag follower. Also used the dermal to size and finish the nail heads on the outside of the mags. They are not a thing of beauty but so far they seen to work. When FN does release the conversion kit I’ll be able to remove the rivets and use the 10 round mags as originally intended.

Words of caution if you try this process: Use a 4-round mag as a guide for placement and size of the tabs and it goes without saying to take the follower and spring out prior to working on the mag. I would hate to see a $50 mag destroyed.

I’ve had my two mags at the range once so far and they seem to be working. They will get a good workout at the PRW Long Range Workshop next week in WY.

CDAT

Re: Interim FN SPR A1 10 Rd Mag Capability

Thanks for doing the write-up on this. Can you post a couple pics of the finished product as a guide? I think I am probably going to end up with CDI bottom metal on my upcoming .360 build, but it might be nice to have one or two of these modded up for my .308s in the meantime.

Here are some pictures of the modified 10-round mag, with a 4-round mag for comparison. I don’t have a picture of an unmodified 10-round mag but if you want to see a before version, FN has a good pic on their web site.

CDI is a great proven system (I have CDI BM on two rifles now, a Rem 700 and Win M70). However, in addition to inletting the stock for the bottom metal, you may have to remove material from Win and FN receiver for the AI mags to seat and feed properly. It will still be an option for my FN SPR A1 if the magazine conversion kit is never released, or does not perform as expected.

CDAT
002-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Thanks for the write-up and pictures.

That 4 round magazine is definitely the weak link on an otherwise ready to go tactical package. FNH ARE YOU LISTENING!!!

Good luck

Jerry

I am studying the options for a 10 round mag. Can you simply buy a 10 round mag and start using it? If so, where to get the 10 rounder.
I have the 24 inch bull, SPR, WIN ACTION.....

PS, I got my two 10 Round A5 Mags from Midway USA but, there are several other venders who also sell them. Externally they are the same size as the 4-round SPR mags however, they will not lock into the SPR A1 BM for the following reasons. There is no slot in the front left of the mag (as viewed from the rear)for the A1 mag ejection spring, and no stamped out tabs on the front and rear for the mag catch and rear support slot in the A1 bottom metal. (See the above post on how I modifed the mags to fit my A1.)

FN USA FN has developed a kit to give the A1 a 10 round mag capability, and the A1 10 Round Mag Conversion Kit is in their 2012 Catalog but, IAW the info I currently have, they have not yet released it to distributers.

CDAT