• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

International Harvester M1 Garand

deltawiskey

DILLIGAF
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Wisconsin
I picked up a nice-looking Garand today. I prefer the oil rubbed finish to whatever lacquer type finish this rifle has, but it sure looks good!
Unfortunately, I got it too late in the day to take to the range, will have to wait till next weekend... not too up on my Garand prices, did I do ok at $950?
No clue what the barrel gauges at, but it doesn't have any pitting and is nice and shiny.
@pmclaine I got some nice wood today and wanted to share a picture with you :ROFLMAO:

Garand.jpg

DW

An IH for less than a grand seems a good deal.

Check in the stock for a "Julian Date' To see if it is an actual IH piece of wood.

There is a subgenre of IH collecting - which heel stamp did you get?

Thats a good looking rifle!

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
An IH for less than a grand seems a good deal.

Check in the stock for a "Julian Date' To see if it is an actual IH piece of wood.

There is a subgenre of IH collecting - which heel stamp did you get?

Thats a good looking rifle!
It has a P
Where is the Julian date?

Send a pic of stamp on rear of receiver. There are some very low production numbers for the IH M1. I have one that I bought a few years back that I paid a little less than what you did. But in todays market you stole it. I have seen several IH's go thru auction over the last couple of years. None went for less than $1500. Saw one go for 2100. Great buy if all numbers match and stock is IH

Reactions: deltawiskey
Pop the stock off and look in the barrel/op rod channel to see if there is a serial number. IHC stamped them.

It has a P
Where is the Julian date?

You have a "Postage Stamp" IHC with the heel information arrangement being square?

The Julian date will be in the barrel channel of the stock. It has nothing to do with serial number. It's a date code that is like a cypher.

Check the heel and toe of the stock, lots of IHC had stock making issues with parts fit in to the heel or toe. Don't see any of that work in your pictures but it may be missed.

Based on that gray finish with no wear on the rear sights, etc, it was likely an arsenal rebuild (probably early/mid 1960s). For the price is was a good deal.
Every collector of US military weapons needs one M1 Garand, given their history, IMO.

Last edited:
I will take it out of the stock tonight after work and report back what I find. Thanks for all the feedback!!
DW

“LEAD 3-69” etched on leg: Letterkenny Depot rebuild in March 1969. That is when it acquired that distinct light grey parkerizing, and was probably put into storage afterwords. Fwiw re rebuild info.

“LEAD 3-69” etched on leg: Letterkenny Depot rebuild in March 1969. That is when it acquired that distinct light grey parkerizing, and was probably put into storage afterwords. Fwiw re rebuild info.
I was wondering what that meant, thank you!!
DW

I will take it out of the stock tonight after work and report back what I find. Thanks for all the feedback!!
DW
Check the lugs on your trigger guard and see if they look worn.

If they are in good shape use some good grease/lubriplate to lube them up.

GI trigger guards new in the wrap are still available get some spare parts, I got a good place to get the basics the depot or something like that.

This is a lifetime supply of grease….

I bought one that is measured in ounces 15 years ago from the guy that writes Garand books and I still have most of it.

Take a picture of the stock channel.

I won’t be able to tell you anything about anything but Garand professors may chime in.

Marked rebuilds are a genre and LMR barrels are desireable.

Stick a M2 .30 caliber in the muzzle point first and if it doesn’t go past the ogive you should have a good shooter.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of an IHC stock. Mine has the four-piece splice to correct the length of pull issue some had.

Also notice the Julian date in op-rod channel.

Finally, the contour in the wood on the right side of the receiver heel is pretty typical of an IHC stock, though I’m unsure as to whether or not they ALL had that. I’ve taken a couple pictures of it to show you.

Your stock looks straight on the right edge, as far as I can tell. It may be a post-War Springfield stock but I don’t know. It’s definitely the right vintage for the rifle as it has the Defense Acceptance Stamp (DAS) on the left side.

Hope that helps some….
9782CC9F-4293-4954-811B-E5EDED566659.jpeg

Attachments

• 9254DE17-BFA2-41D5-9A55-3A5EE5DC1CC9.jpeg
    9254DE17-BFA2-41D5-9A55-3A5EE5DC1CC9.jpeg
    585 KB · Views: 111
  • 59D04186-1F55-4DCD-BBF9-050D185A5CF3.jpeg
    59D04186-1F55-4DCD-BBF9-050D185A5CF3.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 56243F65-2D3B-4FB9-B744-AB34B34D2A87.jpeg
    56243F65-2D3B-4FB9-B744-AB34B34D2A87.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 95
  • BCA337FB-D710-46B7-857B-C96C95933EC0.jpeg
    BCA337FB-D710-46B7-857B-C96C95933EC0.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 100
  • DF4471EE-B8BA-4E15-94E7-48420E0D9D5E.jpeg
    DF4471EE-B8BA-4E15-94E7-48420E0D9D5E.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 4D6F6A85-5C45-4D21-BFFC-C428E4C6FBBA.jpeg
    4D6F6A85-5C45-4D21-BFFC-C428E4C6FBBA.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 1F16AC59-352C-4CAB-805A-DCDAAB4968E1.jpeg
    1F16AC59-352C-4CAB-805A-DCDAAB4968E1.jpeg
    561 KB · Views: 135
  • C81C6F57-7A97-449B-A72D-CF5947970A64.jpeg
    C81C6F57-7A97-449B-A72D-CF5947970A64.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 161
  • 7E5CA188-6F53-4DD5-B45C-3BC70BAE7A37.jpeg
    7E5CA188-6F53-4DD5-B45C-3BC70BAE7A37.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 153
While there have been more come back into the country in recent years, IHC’s are the hardest to come by of the four US makers. (in case you didn’t know).
I’ve fallen out of touch with Garland pricing but that would have been a good price for an IHC 10-15 years ago, and M1’s certainly haven’t gotten cheaper since then.

(Ref: pics above)
Isn’t the OR stamp for Overton Replacement? (I recall that the Overton replacement stocks had features similar to factory IHC stocks, but I don’t recall about them being stamped OR or not. Too many years ago, my brain is mush. I have… (Or had? I don’t even remember anymore) a rifle within Overton replacement stock. The more I think about it, I believe I still have it.

Last edited:
While there have been more come back into the country in recent years, IHC’s are the hardest to come by of the four US makers. (in case you didn’t know).
I’ve fallen out of touch with Garland pricing but that would have been a good price for an IHC 10-15 years ago, and M1’s certainly haven’t gotten cheaper since then.

(Ref: pics above)
Isn’t the OR stamp for Overton Replacement? (I recall that the Overton replacement stocks had features similar to factory IHC stocks, but I don’t recall about them being stamped OR or not. Too many years ago, my brain is mush. I have… (Or had? I don’t even remember anymore) a rifle within Overton replacement stock. The more I think about it, I believe I still have it.
Good questions. I don’t remember what the OR stands for. I’m gonna have to dig out my old Scott Duff books….

Good questions. I don’t remember what the OR stands for. I’m gonna have to dig out my old Scott Duff books….
Bruce Canfield's huge book on the M1 is much better and more recent than Duffs. Page 505 has good info. The "OR" meant "Overton/Richardson". Made by Overton, on Richardson machinery. The Richardson machines were the more modern machines that Overton used for IHC production. (They had also acquired the old/worn M1 Garand stock making machinery from Rock Island Arsenal). The Richardson machines leave/left very subtle, circular milling marks on original IHC stocks, per Canfield's book.

Last edited:
A repaired, heavily sanded stock from the 269th day of 1952 and a June '53 dated barrel, the gun was something someone put together from parts. The oddly colored op-rod and mishmash of levels of wear on the trigger assembly are also clues. The LEAD electro-pencil markings are a solid sign it is not "all original". 1969 arsenal repairs seem pretty late which is actually kind of cool. I have several SA refurbs, they are very nice guns that shoot really well. June of 1969 seems like it was a very late rebuild, right at the end of the program. That would explain the repairs to the stock since they were low on parts.

The good news is that it is a postage stamp IHC for under $1K, any Garand under $1K is usually a pretty good deal, much less an IHC with all IHC parts. That was a nice deal.

One of my favorites is a 4-digit SA with a 1964 barrel rebuilt by Springfield, it is fun to drag out to the range once in a while.

A repaired, heavily sanded stock from the 269th day of 1952 and a June '53 dated barrel, the gun was something someone put together from parts. The oddly colored op-rod and mishmash of levels of wear on the trigger assembly are also clues. The LEAD electro-pencil markings are a solid sign it is not "all original". 1969 arsenal repairs seem pretty late which is actually kind of cool. I have several SA refurbs, they are very nice guns that shoot really well. June of 1969 seems like it was a very late rebuild, right at the end of the program. That would explain the repairs to the stock since they were low on parts.

The good news is that it is a postage stamp IHC for under $1K, any Garand under $1K is usually a pretty good deal, much less an IHC with all IHC parts. That was a nice deal.

One of my favorites is a 4-digit SA with a 1964 barrel rebuilt by Springfield, it is fun to drag out to the range once in a while.
I think you’re mixing up his gun with mine…

Pretty sure his is in a post-war Springfield stock.

Data sheets for IHC M1’s serial numbered on either side of yours. I’d say your barrel is probably original….

Attachments

• A63A4ABF-73C3-43D7-8557-0EE7219EC4E5.jpeg
    A63A4ABF-73C3-43D7-8557-0EE7219EC4E5.jpeg
    485 KB · Views: 95
  • 11B91632-D8BC-4EE9-8230-D2BE2B33F5B5.jpeg
    11B91632-D8BC-4EE9-8230-D2BE2B33F5B5.jpeg
    478.2 KB · Views: 94
Not to hi jack the op's thread but I'll throw my IHC in here with some pic's.....

The cool part of this rifle is this! My wife always knew I wanted a tractor gun. She watched me look at this rifle several times at a local gun shop. Last year she went and bought it for me for a Christmas present with out me knowing it!

To my knowledge it is all matching and hasn't gone thru a arsenals rebuild at all. No electric pencil marks etc...

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

1668270023810.jpeg

1668270185991.jpeg

1668270205746.jpeg

1668270223536.jpeg

I've got an HRA Letterkenney 1965 rearsenal with 1952 barrel. The entirety of the rifle is that beautiful silvery parkerizing and has virtually no wear marks from firing/cycling on the bolt lugs nor anywhere. Lucked out with some nice “flame” in the stock. There's no question yours is a great buy for a sub $1k IH today esp with that LMR barrel. It appears someone tried to part it back together as an all IH correct gun, which in this case, is a shame b/c your receiver would have been mated with all freshly parked Letterkenney rearsenaled parts. Essentially the last newest rebuilt Garands before they ended the program. Kind of begs the question of whether you’d rather have an all correct reassembled parts gun of one maker or a brand “new” rearsenaled unissued Garand. I’m for the latter.

Agreed that it looks like the stock was sanded and refinished.

Still, you scored !!!

Sl0KMg9.jpg

uOpYqVh.jpg

3Q6NQ0A.jpg

Last edited:
Like Frank Green, I also have an unmolested original. I used this artical to confirm:

I've seen originals go for $3k plus on GunBroker. Insane!
Yes what they are going for is insane.

Back when it was the DCM... a friend put his paperwork from shooting matches in for a M1. Talk about a lucky day. .He got a IHC for $99!

Reactions: pmclaine
You did well. LEAD rebuilds are nice light silvery gray parked, it is a very late rebuild, probably has a lot of original correct parts. LMR barrels are the most accurate M1 barrels made and desirable.

The gun with bayonet is probably worth double so you can celebrate cheating an old man, congrats. The only thing neater is when you lowball the widow and expect praise,lol.

You did well. LEAD rebuilds are nice light silvery gray parked, it is a very late rebuild, probably has a lot of original correct parts. LMR barrels are the most accurate M1 barrels made and desirable.

The gun with bayonet is probably worth double so you can celebrate cheating an old man, congrats. The only thing neater is when you lowball the widow and expect praise,lol.

You are making assumptions and casting aspersions almost like you are projecting what you would have done.

Nice rifle. Personally I like the rebuilds. I have an HRA from Anniston. Think it’s a ‘64 rebuild. Might have 50rounds through it.