• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Introducing the BASE CPS - Competition Primer Seater

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA
    www.primalrights.com
    Introducing the BASE CPS (Competition Primer Seater)

http://youtu.be/v9-YtrOYORY

BASE Precision :: CPS

We are excited to announce the opening of a pre-order for the most innovative and unique primer seating tool that we have ever seen at Primal Rights. For the next month, the CPS will be available at an introductory price of $350 with free shipping, rather than the normal retail price of $450. Use coupon code BASEINTRO to secure your savings during checkout. Units will begin shipping in September 2014. We will be holding a drawing and selecting one of the pre-order customers for a free CPS!

Pre-order here: BASE CPS

The CPS was designed to address the need for a robust and precise high-volume primer seating tool. The limitations of other priming tools are self-evident to those that have used them for a 300, 500, or 1000rnd priming session. Hand priming tools can cause extreme fatigue in your thumbs and hands. This is especially true when you have a batch of brass with tight primer pockets. They can also be very dangerous as their plastic trays are sometimes turned into deadly shrapnel when a faulty or improperly seated primer causes every primer in the tray to simultaneously explode. The bench-mounted units are often quite a lot safer, but generally much slower. They also often lack the same "feel" you get with the hand priming tools.

Recognizing these deficiencies, we set out to design the worlds best priming tool, with all of the strengths of other units, but none of their weaknesses.

The BASE CPS is the most versatile dedicated priming tool in existence. It uses readily available and inexpensive Lee shell holders (or other compatible brands) to accommodate almost all cartridges on the market. We have custom shell holders available for 50BMG and 416Barret. This will finally give the 50BMG competition shooters a fast, precise, and robust dedicated priming tool, instead of forcing them to use their presses for priming. With use of the Sinclair 408CheyTac shell holder, 375CT and 408CheyTac users now have a precision priming tool to use as well.

Good for right-handed or left-handed use. The handle and shell holder retainer on the CPS can be moved to accommodate any bench position or priming style you prefer.

Speed, without sacrificing precision or reliability. Some priming tools are very fast. Others are very precise. The CPS is the only priming tool to combine both features into a single unit. You can achieve seating depths accurate to within a thousandth of an inch, all while priming at a comfortable rate of over 20 cases per minute. At that pace you can easily prime over a thousand cases per hour.

Absolute precision primer seating depths. Precision rifle shooters know that one of the keys to reducing your extreme velocity spread is to ensure consistent powder ignition. The CPS has a revolutionary adjustable shell holder system which allows you to raise and lower your case in relation to the priming rod. You can seat the primer deeper or shallower in .001" increments. The adjustment mechanism has a clicker, to ensure you stay on your desired seating depth. One click = One thousandth of an inch adjustment.

Universal primer tube loaded. You can use nearly any brand of primer tube for simple and effective loading of primers into the tool. No more plastic trays to break or fumble with. As long as the tubes have an outside diameter of .312" or so, you can use them with the CPS.

Integrated shuttle feeding system. The CPS uses a manually-operated shuttle system to slide primers from the primer tube into position over the primer rod. This ensures that any jams or misaligned primers are easily and safely discovered by the operator. Slight finger pressure is all that is required to position a primer for seating. The shuttle then automatically resets to home position to pick up another primer.

Bench-mounted for rigidity and repeatability. The CPS is a bench-mounted priming tool. This ensures a controlled and static orientation of the case being primed, so that if a faulty primer detonates, the blast will be directed straight upwards rather than in a random direction. Being mounted to a bench also allows for a consistent technique and operation of the priming tool.

Rotational drive system. Nearly all other priming tools on the market utilize a pivot drive system to provide leverage. The drawback with those systems is that the amount of force required to achieve the desired leverage changes through the tools range of motion. Unlike pivot-driven designs, the CPS provides an accurate and constant feel through the entire range of motion. This, combined with the extreme strength and rigidity of the CPS ensures that you will "feel" each primer as it is being seated. This is important so that worn out brass can be identified and culled when you feel a loose primer pocket.

As always, let me know if you have any questions at all!

Last edited:
    Already need to make a correction here folks. Don't worry, it's a good one though. :)

I just got off the phone with my team, and we had a miscommunication somewhere along the line on pricing. I too thought it seemed a bit high. ;)

Correct price of $450 retail with the current $100 discount means a price to the user of $350 with free shipping for the next month. That's a lot better! Those that already pre-ordered will receive a refund for the difference.

I like the machine but not the price! Little steep for what it does. I'll stick to the old way
    Nice things cost money, no doubt about it. I remember when I bought my Giraud trimmer... it was a big leap. Though I'd never go back to the old way. This tool gave me a similar experience. Having used it, and experiencing just how much better it is... I'd pay double the price to have one. Though I completely understand it isn't for everyone.

What is involved with the switch from large to small primers?

As with most things, there are several versions of "right." Primer seating is no different. Our approach allows you to choose which method you want to employ, and achieve consistent seating depth regardless. With many other priming tools, you have to go entirely on "feel." The anvil that sticks up from the primer cup and its relationship to the bottom of the primer pocket is important. Some choose to simply touch the anvil to the bottom, while others prefer the cup to come in contact, pushing the anvil into the cup and compressing the primer compound. With many priming tools, the amount of force required to get adequate leverage often precludes you from "feeling" the difference, so you can end up with primers seated at varying depths. This is not good from an velocity ES standpoint. They key is to choose "your" way, and repeat it precisely among all of your cases. Uniformed primer pockets helps with this.

With the CPS, you do have enough resolution to feel the anvil contact, then the anvil crush, and the final cup contact. This is true even on the tightest of primer pockets. I recently did some 7LRM on the CPS, and they have extremely tight cups. Though I was able to plainly feel the primer anvil contact and crush.

With the CPS, once your depth is determined, you can repeat it with extreme accuracy at a very high frequency. Precision rifle shooters that reload often will absolutely love this thing.

Being one of the few people that has had the opportunity to seat a number of case with the BASE CPS, I can honestly say I've never had such a pleasant experience when seating primers. The amount of feel there while still having an abundance of power is incredible! I had never before been able to actually FEEL the primer anvil touch the bottom of the primer pocket and then the primer cup seat to the bottom of the pocket. After being able to examine the inner workings of the CPS, there is no doubt in my mind that this priming tool is going to last every bit as long, if not longer, than any other piece of reloading equipment on your bench. I certainly can't wait to get mine, there will be a good stack of brass ready to be primed up when it arrives!

You remove the top, swap out a shuttle, swap a priming rod and bushing, replace the top and you're done.

Can you make a video of the swap? That sounds like a lot of stuff to do to switch.

- Guy with two 21st century priming tools so he doesn't have to swap trays from large to small.

We've had a couple select beta testers using some of the prototypes in the last few weeks. The final production design has been completed, and all design modifications implemented. The new features are far easier on the user than the original design, and we're confident that we should begin shipping units here in September.

As soon as I have a production model in my hands, we'll be posting some more video and detailed pictures. The feedback from our testers has been phenomenally positive.

Apparently we haven't met... Hi Im Ryan with Precision Tactical Solutions... going full retard is what we do best
    HAHAHA! OK I was literally laughing upon reading that. lol

Nice to meet you Ryan. Even still, If you broke this priming tool, you'd break every priming tool ever made. This is the most robustly built priming tool in existence. To the degree that if you were pressed into a survival situation, and all you had was this priming tool... you could use it as a bludgeoning device for the rest of your life, and still not break it.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. We took some time to improve the design a bit over the last few weeks. We made the unit about 25% better than it was by improving ergonomics and creating a superior shuttle system. It will be much easier to swap out primer sizes, and much easier to go from left to right handed operation. We also strengthened the click system on the elevator to ensure a positive .001" movement of the elevator assembly.

As we sit today, the aluminum parts for the first run are going to anodizing in the next couple days, and we should have completed units ready to ship within 2-3 weeks. Could be sooner, but I don't want to be overly optimistic at this point. We want them to be perfect when they go out the door. I apologize for missing our initial ship date of end of September, but we couldn't pass up the opportunity to make the units better.

The first CPS prototypes were made by my good friend and colleague Wayne Jeurgens and I. Wayne has more practical machining knowledge than any man I know, and can do things on manual machines that I though impossible. We've spent countless hours in his shop together over the last several years, and he has taught me much about the realities of creating parts. However, after creating our first two prototypes, it was clear that we needed the power of CNC to get the design where it needed to be. Tooling Solutions Worldwide in Watertown South Dakota is the machine shop we've partnered with on this project. I just have to give recognition for the work they've done. They have some of the most impressive machines, machinists, and processes of any shop I've worked with. They have been instrumental in bringing this product to market. This project would not be where it is today without their involvement. With their help, we have been able to refine the design and provide machined parts with a level of quality that we would never have been able to achieve on our own. Many machine shops just build whatever is on the print with no regard to any fitment issues of the entire assembly. They've saved my butt more than once by catching a mistake on the print I provided them. I taught myself how to design 3D models and that was not without its problems. I was just a guy with an idea, but Tooling Solutions has helped make that idea a reality. Whether you are an entrepreneur with a good idea, or an established business with the best prints in the world, Tooling Solutions should definitely be high on your list of machine shops you talk with to create your parts.

Developing a product like this has been an amazing adventure, and like any adventure it has had its ups and downs. I'm extremely excited that we are so close to finally being able to ship these priming tools out. I just wanted to take a moment to recognize the hard work of our partners, and to update and thank our customers whom have supported us in this venture. Your patience and continued support are greatly appreciated!