• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Intuit QuickBooks Severs Ties with Gunsite Academy, Reverses Tens of Thousands in Credit Card Charges. Because Guns

Malpaso

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2006
MA
I don't post much here, and always in the technical forums, but I felt this was important enough to post here. If any of you use Quickbooks, or any Intuit products in your businesses, beware. Not only for what they might do to you, but for what they are doing to the entire gun community.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ses-tens-of-thousands-in-credit-card-charges/

There’s been yet another incident of ignorance merging with a desire to undermine our Second Amendment rights resulting in financial attack on a prominent industry company. This time it’s one I consider the equivalent of church for gun owners: Gunsite Academy in Paulden, Arizona. Gunsite, which was founded by the late Col. Jeff Cooper in 1976 under the name American Pistol Institute, has found itself on the receiving end of anti-2A rhetoric last week from none other than Intuit, Inc., owner of QuickBooks small business accounting and management software.

This morning I chatted with Ken Campbell, Chief Operating Officer at Gunsite Academy. We started were all involved stories should; at the beginning.

A couple of months ago Gunsite decided to make a change to a new credit card processor, QuickBooks. It seemed to be a wise business choice at the time and may have been, had Intuit not chosen to go the way they did.

About ten days ago the Gunsite bookkeeper found herself on the receiving end of a phone call from QuickBooks. The company felt there was “trouble” because they had realized Gunsite sold knives and guns on their website. This, the QuickBooks rep said, meant sales weren’t face-to-face and “kids could buy them.”

Gunsite took the time to patiently, politely educate the rep on how FFLs work and explain the laws and processes of firearm sales. Once the process and regulations were laid out, the rep backpedaled, saying now that they understood the procedure, it was alright after all and business could continue.

IMG_20170829_094253182_HDR-700x525.jpg

Safety is paramount at Gunsite. You’d think Intuit would support a business working to train people in firearms safety.

Then, a week ago – May 11th, 2018 – Gunsite got another phone call from QuickBooks. This time it didn’t go as well. The software company informed Gunsite that they were immediately ceasing all business with them. Why? Because they sell and promote firearms.

At first blush this was frustrating news, but Gunsite figured it could be handled. Then the other shoe dropped: in addition to cutting business ties with Gunsite, QuickBooks/Intuit refused to release the money from credit card charges currently in process from sales that had already made.

This amounts to tens of thousands of dollars from not only purchases made in the Gunsite Pro Shop – including hats, shirts, bumper stickers, and coffee mugs – but also money that had been paid for classes taken on gun safety and marksmanship.

Yes, you read that right. Tens of thousands of dollars in sales of products and classes, paid for in good faith, that Intuit has refused to release. Instead, Intuit stated they would refund those monies to the credit card holders. That means revenue for everything from pens to five-day level 250 pistol courses had just became door prizes, provided free to people who had the benefit of the training and took home products, all courtesy of the Intuit’s largesse.

IMG_20170829_094247725-700x525.jpg

Signs reminding shooters of safety rules are everywhere at Gunsite.

Ken Campbell is matter-of-fact about the issue: “It is their right in the republic to choose not to do business with us. In fact, I do not want to do business with them or any company that does not support the Second Amendment. The issue is their refusal to release our funds to us.”

Gunsite Academy is one of, if not the most respected firearms training academies in the country. If you’ve attended a class there, you know safety is their number one priority, which lends more than a slight a shade of irony to the situation. Intuit is intentionally hurting a business that’s actively working to promote and teach firearms safety.

Gunsite is now investing countless hours of time trying to track down purchasers and explain the situation so credit cards can be processed all over again. The most likely scenario is they will indeed lose thousands of dollars. Hopefully they’ll be able to recoup the bulk of the funds which were rightfully theirs that Intuit refused to turn process as agreed.

IoTGD17-1-700x394.jpg

The Fun House at Gunsite is exactly what it sounds like. It, too, has safety signs all over it.

You can show your support by heading over to the Gunsite Academy website here and checking out the Pro Shop and class schedule. Their classes rock and their coffee mug is my favorite because it’s heavy and super-sized (what can I say, I’m a caffeine addict). Gunsite has returned to their prior credit card processing company, so sales will work as they should with funds going to Gunsite.

Intuit is headquartered in Mountain View, California, so their far-left attitude is less surprising even if it is utterly unprofessional (not to mention un-American). Intuit’s financial reach includes TurboTax, Mint, QuickBooks Self-Employed, QuickBooks, and a variety of payroll and credit card processing services, so you may be doing business with them and not even know it.

Author’s Note: If you attended Gunsite Academy in the past thirty days or purchased something from their Pro Shop, whether in person or online, please contact Susan Davidson, the Pro Shop Manager, at [email protected] or Rikki Newell, the Student Coordinator, at [email protected]. Thank you!

UPDATE: I’ve received a couple emails from Intuit as follows:

“While our policy is to not discuss specific customer information or scenarios, I can confirm that Intuit Payment Solutions helps small business customer process electronic payments. There are some types of businesses and transaction types that Intuit cannot process in light of rules imposed by our banking partners, and among those are firearms and weapons sales that are not face-to-face sales. In-person sales of firearms and weapons are not prohibited.”​

Then, a couple hours later:

“I read your story online. To be clear, In-person sales of firearms and weapons are permitted under our payment guidelines. Our full policy for our merchants is located here: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/payments/legal/
I’m checking into the other charges not related to online gun sales.”​

Author’s note (again): I replied to the second email and explained how firearms purchases work, letting Intuit know all buyers must complete a 4473 and pass a background check and firearms are NOT simply shipped to a private residence, only to FFLs. Gunsite already tried to explain this process to an employee at Intuit but I thought I would try one more time. We’ll see what they say.

Reactions: Basher
I'm probably totally wrong cause it don't work this way, but "breach of contract" and then "defamation" then "discrimination" then "undue harassment" then "pain and suffering (heavy on the suffering)" then "negligence"..... to start.

Throw all that at them, for eleventy bazillion bucks on each charge, so that we all see what sticks. Because that's how "they" fight against us, right?

Just make sure that part of the settlment reads that they have to pay for the bulldozer and fire-crew that razes the Intuit headquarters and then burns it to the ground whilst they watch. As a warning to others.

I'm probably totally wrong cause it don't work this way, but "breach of contract" and then "defamation" then "discrimination" then "undue harassment" then "pain and suffering (heavy on the suffering)" then "negligence"..... to start.

Throw all that at them, for eleventy bazillion bucks on each charge, so that we all see what sticks. Because that's how "they" fight against us, right?

Just make sure that part of the settlment reads that they have to pay for the bulldozer and fire-crew that razes the Intuit headquarters and then burns it to the ground whilst they watch. As a warning to others.
It’ll never work. Mountain View ca is the heart of the 9th circuit court of appeals. The cesspool of modern liberalism. They will probably find gun site guilty of something.

Reactions: Basher
Since guns fall under the Constitutional rights, we, as gun owners, should take this to the Supreme Court and claim violation of Constitutional Rights.

Also, if you offer financial services i.e. CC processing, you should be unable to dictate to your customers what they can and can not sell as long as it's not illegal. Much like the Fair Lending Act. Considering business' are at the mercy of CC processing companies, there should at least be fair use for customers. They are in the business of moving money back and forth and for that they get a King's ransom in continuous revenue flow on the backs of every American just doing what they have to do day to day. They created the 'no cash' environment and now want to dictate rules to users.

Reactions: Redmanss
Since guns fall under the Constitutional rights, we, as gun owners, should take this to the Supreme Court and claim violation of Constitutional Rights.

Also, if you offer financial services i.e. CC processing, you should be unable to dictate to your customers what they can and can not sell as long as it's not illegal. Much like the Fair Lending Act. Considering business' are at the mercy of CC processing companies, there should at least be fair use for customers. They are in the business of moving money back and forth and for that they get a King's ransom in continuous revenue flow on the backs of every American just doing what they have to do day to day. They created the 'no cash' environment and now want to dictate rules to users.
You clearly don’t get the plot to eliminate paper currency so that they can do exactly this kind of thing. No one is prohibiting the sale of ownership of firearms but they r making it increasingly difficult to obtain or conduct in the business of firearms and accessories.

There is a civil rights issue at stake here. And I believe that Avenue is the our best path at stopping assaults like these. The NRA at its very core is a civil rights organization not a lobbying group, they need to remember that. A lifestyle is under attack. They all call it a lifestyle and if that’s the case I have the same protection under the law as someone who wakes up and decides to be a woman on Tuesday and a man on Wednesday. It’s a lifestyle choice and as such I am protected under the civil rights act and what companies like quicken and b of a are doing is a violation of my civil rights.

In addition, president trump via executive order should require the FDIC to no longer guarantee deposits and loans made by Intuit. Quicken loans would fucking fold over night.

Make no mistake we are at war.

I always wondered how it worked. in this situation they are both in the 9th circuit but what if gun site was in Florida? Who would handle it?
No clue. Certain circuits handle certain kinds of cases. The question is where did the alleged violation occur? Florida or CA?

My frustration with the near entirety of the tech and banking industries increases daily. I despise much of the regulations on free industry, but there's some that are in place for good cause because of situations such as this, where a company is in direct violation of citizens' civil rights. Our gutless Congressional members won't lift a finger to change any of this, they're as scared of Bloomberg, Brady and Gifford as blue dogs are of the NRA, and both sides are happy with their status quo while citizens are screwed.

Considering PayPal owns a 66% market share of online payment processing, and Intuit claimed this has to do with their "banking partners" rules, I have a strong suspicion PayPal and their staunch anti-gun stance is behind this one as well. I suspect Gunsite is but the first of many that will be getting a similar call.

...Considering PayPal owns a 66% market share of online payment processing, and Intuit claimed this has to do with their "banking partners" rules, I have a strong suspicion PayPal and their staunch anti-gun stance is behind this one as well. I suspect Gunsite is but the first of many that will be getting a similar call.
This is why I refuse to use PP.

Reactions: jrassy
Company X has been ripping off customers at the point of sale for many years now in virtually every state. They have always claimed to have nexus in every state but doesn't report to any state except their own. The truth is they are in trouble and the only money maker they have is X software because people thought a single entry accounting system was so much easier. What they ended up selling to business owners was a bill of goods rather than a license to use. When I'm in the field and somebody hands me financials generated out of X software I know somebody is going to end up writing a big check. If you are a business owner get rid of it. If your CPA is using it then fire him or her. Company X is a den of thieves and their employees are dumb as a bag of hammers. It doesn't surprise me that some moron called Gunsite with this sort of bullshit. It is part of the fucking company language. It could also have been,. "we notice you are a hardware store giving out free popcorn but we did some research and you are not listed as being inspected by your state's department of health. So, we are shutting that shit down until you get rid of that popcorn machine."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
"Starting in 2018, Intuit is holding current sales deposits for merchants selling firearms through Quckbooks on an increasing basis before they have been notified. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuit

Well damn! I had no idea that intuit was like this, though I should have. I've been using Turbotax since they bought out the other tax prep software I used. I too will have to shop for an alternate product with similar features.

I agree that this is war and that we have to push back as a community. If you donate for the cause at all now is the time.

Makes me want to vomit, becaue Quickbooks is I'm nearly certain, the way the company I work for does my payroll. Wtf.....I might tell the boss man, who has multiple 50 cal's about this news. If he cares at all......

One problem is that company has a near monopoly on software for small business unless you want to spend huge amounts of money on stuff constantly being "adjusted" to make it work for you.

Remember the dykes in Oregon who sued because a baker would not make their wedding cake? The judge came down on the baker hard. I hope a judge somewhere comes down hard on Quickbooks. Reading the posts above, it does sound like QB is full of idiots.

Remember the dykes in Oregon who sued because a baker would not make their wedding cake? The judge came down on the baker hard. I hope a judge somewhere comes down hard on Quickbooks. Reading the posts above, it does sound like QB is full of idiots.
Rules don't apply to communists. I mean leftists.

Catch-22 states that they can do whatever they want to do. I prefer Heller over Orwell.

DoD contractor I worked for used QuickBooks because it was the easiest platform to be DCMA/DCAA compliant with.

We did a shit ton worse stuff with guns while we were in Afghanistan than Gunsite does at their Academy.

They're also going to cut off DoD and DoD Prime/Subs too right?

Fugg... I use turbo tax all the time for my business..... time to go shopping

Problem is what is the alternative intuit has swallowed all the alternatives. I use QB in the business. Alternatives are slim to none.

Reactions: Bender
They had a legally binding contract to provide credit card services too Gunsite, now we head to court in AZ checkmate.
Except the judge may turn out to be Soros' illegitimate thalidomide flipper whore daughter in law . So tell me again when the Right pushes back ?

Reactions: deersniper
They had a legally binding contract to provide credit card services too Gunsite, now we head to court in AZ checkmate.
This. Gunsite has just cause to claim reparations. Likely problem is that so many contracts of this type are written to exclude lawsuits in favor of arbitration. The arbitration clause almost always favors the party offering the service/product and takes place in their choice of venue. If you understand what I just said, then you know that I am right.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
There are plenty of appropriate double entry accounting system. There are other single entry systems as well but therein lies the problem to begin with. Small to fortune 500 business have embraced QB but getting it set up correctly is key and it is rarely accomplished. This is how QB gets around the single entry bug-a-boo.

Regardless, here is a study of alternatives whereas QB ranks 11th. To put into our own company language it is the equivalent of buying a stock Varmint Rem 700 or Savage Model 12 and taking your chances that it will act as advertised.

https://blog.capterra.com/top-ten-quickbooks-alternatives-small-business-accounting/

Reactions: lash
Somebody else added more detail on the Intuit wiki page :)

In June 2018 Intuit contributed to the Anti-Gun Agenda. Gunsite [Academy], which was founded by the late Col. Jeff Cooper in 1976 under the name American Pistol Institute, has found itself on the receiving end of anti-2A rhetoric last week from none other than Intuit, Inc., owner of QuickBooks small business accounting and management software.”

“The software company informed Gunsite that they were immediately ceasing all business with them. Why? Because they sell and promote firearms.”

n addition to cutting business ties with Gunsite, QuickBooks/Intuit refused to release the money from credit card charges currently in process from sales that had already made.”"

There are plenty of appropriate double entry accounting system. There are other single entry systems as well but therein lies the problem to begin with. Small to fortune 500 business have embraced QB but getting it set up correctly is key and it is rarely accomplished. This is how QB gets around the single entry bug-a-boo.

Regardless, here is a study of alternatives whereas QB ranks 11th. To put into our own company language it is the equivalent of buying a stock Varmint Rem 700 or Savage Model 12 and taking your chances that it will act as advertised.

https://blog.capterra.com/top-ten-quickbooks-alternatives-small-business-accounting/
This is good information. Since you seem to be in tune with the accounting options available, especially QB alternatives. Do you have any insight into good alternatives to TurboTax?

Edit: to answer my own question, I did a quick search and found these evaluations:

https://www.moneycrashers.com/taxact-vs-turbotax-vs-hr-block-best-tax-prep-software/

https://www.fastcompany.com/40559652/hate-turbotax-here-are-6-alternatives-to-the-dreaded-software

https://alternatives.financesonline.com/p/turbotax/

Now I just need to sift through these and see what will work best for me.

Last edited:
Somebody else added more detail on the Intuit wiki page :)

In June 2018 Intuit contributed to the Anti-Gun Agenda. Gunsite [Academy], which was founded by the late Col. Jeff Cooper in 1976 under the name American Pistol Institute, has found itself on the receiving end of anti-2A rhetoric last week from none other than Intuit, Inc., owner of QuickBooks small business accounting and management software.”

“The software company informed Gunsite that they were immediately ceasing all business with them. Why? Because they sell and promote firearms.”

n addition to cutting business ties with Gunsite, QuickBooks/Intuit refused to release the money from credit card charges currently in process from sales that had already made.”"
It's gone, need sources to keep it on the page. And it's not June yet...

OK, I've been a bad boy again. I received a notice for payment from one of the organizations in our industry (HVAC). I clicked through and low and behold they were using QuickBooks payment.

During the payment process there was a link for 'How can we improve QuickBooks payment'. I'm sure some of you are stronger than I am, however I could not resist the temptation. I clicked through and created an idea 'Accept payments from legal firearms dealers'. In the body of the idea I again stated that they should accept payments from legal federal firearms dealers and for added emphasis, I called of Brad Smith, the CEO of Intuit saying he should be ashamed of himself as he's a graduate of the Virginia Military Academy. How do I know this you ask? I worked for Intuit many years ago and reported to Brad when he took over for Steve Bennett.

I wonder if he will recognize my name.

I've been a very, very bad boy. :devilish:

Last edited:
It sucks having to keep track of all the boycott businesses. We need a list and it needs to be a sticky. Seriously. How can we hurt 'em if we don't know who they are or can't keep up with them?

@intuitbrad is his twitter account.
We need to start playing on their battlefield. Social media is where the fight is.

Reactions: lash
@intuitbrad is his twitter account.
We need to start playing on their battlefield. Social media is where the fight is.
I agree with this. Just changing your personal buying habits will have very little impact on a company like this. On the other hand, a social media blitz of negative feedback and public education can have a huge impact on companies like this.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan