• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR or Zeiis (maybe NightForce)

sharac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Slovenia
Oh not another one
mad.gif
about same old ... but unfortunately yes ...

Here is the deal:

IOR 4-28x56IL ... 1350€ (~1750$)
Zeiss 6-24x56IL ...1477€ (~1920$)
NF 5,5-22x56 ... 1560€ (~2020$)

I know the pros and cons of each scope and since i'm from Europe there is no Made in USA factor for me.

Quality vise i'd say (correct me if i'm wrong) IOR and Zeiss would be a bit better then NF (optics quality) and all three have pretty much equal build quality with IOR possibly (would like some input from owners of this or similar models regarding their build quality) a bit worse than NF and Zeiss. Warranty and service conditions are the same for all three here. Scopes are meant for Tikka T3 tactical, shooting mostly precision competitions up to 800m with some tactical shooting (100m-600m targets) competitions, recoil shouldn't be a factor (build quality) but still is important since i'd like to use scope for as long as i can obviously
smile.gif

Money is an issue and i'm leaning towards IOR due to price/features/quality ratio (i like MP reticle, quality should be great, only worry and cause for this post is its build quality since i've read there have been some failures and this 7x zoom scope is new kid on the block and not many users are out there) but i must say Zeiss looks appealing (great pricing) and i've read nothing but good about NF (except its optics aren't quite on par with Zeiss and IOR).

So to recap is going IOR way a bit to risky in your opinion?

Re: IOR or Zeiis (maybe NightForce)

Zeiss then NF. If you plan to hunt Zeiss.

Sharac,

I know that I may have the minority view here but for me when you compare the optics of a Zeiss vs IOR or Nightforce, if you based your decision on optics alone, the Zeiss is better, if only by a bit, with my eyes.

But for me, I do not buy based on the optics alone, because peering through a glass is only one measure of the relative worth of a rifle scope.

I also consider, and not necessary in this order:

Overall Length, Overall weight, Size of objective, Size of ocular, FOV, Eye relief, and Adjustment range in MOA; ease of mounting; finding the right rings for my application: also what type of rifle, what caliber, what uses; ie. bench rest, long range, tactical, target, et al.

Then I must also consider: overall quality, ruggedness, recoil tolerance (for the scope, not me), customer service, modularity; meaning if my needs change or whatever, where do I have to send it to get serviced and how fast can it be serviced.

Then finally, and last of all; how much does the damn thing cost?

For example of the 3 scopes your looking at the adjustment range is:

Zeiss = 57.6 moa
IOR = 80 moa
Nightforce = 100 MOA

So if your application requires 60 or more MOA worth of adjustment, then the Zeiss would be a bad buy, no matter how good its optics are.

Now let's take the IOR for example. This scope requires 40mm rings. IOR will provide these, great. How will it fit to your rifle? There is very little leeway in the placement of the rear ring? Will it work for you? My thoughts are the very design of this IOR scope is funky. So whatever it's inherent design virtues are by IOR selecting a 40mm tube, are they compensated for by ease of mounting? I don't know....

As far as Nightforce goes, how well is it support in Europe, as compared to scopes built there?

When I add those little things up, sometimes you'll buy the Zeiss, sometimes the IOR, and other times you'll buy the Nightforce, because optics quality alone is not the only measure of a scope's utility.

So to answer your question: Which is better a Zeiss or IOR, or Nightforce?

My answer is: "It depends".....

Good Luck with your choice,

Bob

Sharac,

I am in France, and have the opportunity to use all three.
Personally I prefer the NF largely due to the reticle choices and the 1/8 MoA knobs.
For hunting I would lean towards Zeiss or even Sarvowski.

As far as support goes... it is about the same for all makes. It sucks.

Although I really like IOR glass, I don't like 35 & 40mm tubes, they are much to limited in mounting option's. (and they don't even use the extra space in the tube for more elev. adj. like some do.)I think I would go for the NF, Zeiss is good for hunting, and the glass is great, but if they only have 57 moa of elev. adj. you can forget long distance shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So to recap is going IOR way a bit to risky in your opinion?</div></div>

Definately "risky"

I would go NXS of those choices.

I am a big Nightforce fan! And yes i have owned all three you mentioned. If this is gonna be a hunting/longrange rig? I'd still reccomend the NXS.

They are built to take a shit load of punishment! Plus the extra benefit of allot of internal moa.

Thanks for your opinions, only real drawback to NF is 210€ and possibly a bit worse optics which might not even be an issue. It's going to be mainly paperpunch rig (Tikka T3 .308w). Decisions, decisions....i think i will probably go with NF and if i don't like it i can still sell it...

Nightforce by a mile,or ahem, kilometer in your case.haha

I have the NF 5.5-22x56 and can surely attest to it's ruggedness.Good everything.

After watching 3 IOR's breaking and being sent back by a friend I'm not ever going to own one.

Same friend has a Zeiss and it is very clear but seems a little delicate.The adjustment knobs go the wrong way also.

Steve

Out of those three Id go Nightforce.

Or you could "NUT-UP" add another 500 bucks and get a Premier and be satisfied for life!

I'll be mostly using it in 16+-2 range (mid setting), i find it hard to shoot with lower mag. so i usually shoot with 16x and most scopes have worse picture at their full mag. so being in their midrange would be optimal as far as picture is concerned. And for tactical shooting (dropping targets) i'd go with 4-6x mag.. Max mag. would be only used for spotting hits or if need be (if we get lucky enough to get a 1000m+ range) to have it available.