• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes ior vs. nightforce

Re: ior vs. nightforce

Use the search feature, this has been debated plenty of times in the past.

Why not answer the question if you have a constructive response. The o'l use the search function gets pretty thin, especially when it is not the most user friendly function. Not everybody is an expert like you think you are. Why even have a forum, you might as well just use the search function. How do you think you build a database of responses, if nobody replied and just searched, you will get shit. Sorry for the rant but this is my reply for the use the search feature comment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not answer the question if you have a constructive response. </div></div>Actually, I did answer him. He said that any help would be appreciated, and I essentially said - hey ... there is water over there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The o'l use the search function gets pretty thin, especially when it is not the most user friendly function. </div></div>Forums are a repository of information. You utilize repositories by searching for the data you need, if you can't find what you need, then you post. Pay close attention to the order of that last sentence.

If you don't like our search function, then use Google. Go to www.google.com and put in:
Nightforce IOR site:www.snipershide.com

Then, look at the FIRST link provided, the last post isn't even 1 month old. Actually, you can look at the first THREE results!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you think you build a database of responses, if nobody replied and just searched, you will get shit.</div></div>You don't need hundreds of threads about the same thing for the data to useful. When the same question comes up multiple times per month, and it's as fundamental and basic as this one, it does no one good to rehash the same old stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not everybody is an expert like you think you are.</div></div>Feel free to show me where I claimed to be an expert. What I do know is that scope comparison threads are common, people don't change their favorite scopes and continue to push their own picks, and there is no "right" answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not answer the question if you have a constructive response. The o'l use the search function gets pretty thin, especially when it is not the most user friendly function. Not everybody is an expert like you think you are. Why even have a forum, you might as well just use the search function. How do you think you build a database of responses, if nobody replied and just searched, you will get shit. Sorry for the rant but this is my reply for the use the search feature comment. </div></div>

The people who do know what they're talking about will get tired of typing the same shit over and over and they'll stop replying at all. Then you'll have people who think they know what they're talking about becoming the resident experts and the quality of the information available through the forum goes to hell. It's really not that hard to do a search, the info is out there for those willing to look.

IOR is not in the same league as NF.

NF has much better glass (clarity/FOV) which is reflected in the price. To compare them is like comparing a Crown Victoria to a BMW 7 series, they both will get you there but they are in different leagues.

Snoop around on this site as there are tons of pics and info.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR is not in the same league as NF.

NF has much better glass (clarity/FOV) which is reflected in the price. To compare them is like comparing a Crown Victoria to a BMW 7 series, they both will get you there but they are in different leagues.

Snoop around on this site as there are tons of pics and info.

Good luck! </div></div>
NF is a better scope but it's not due to superior glass!

If I recall correctly I think the IOR had slightly better clarity. That being said I would take the NF for a known in durability and CS if/when you need it.

-pd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I recall correctly I think the IOR had slightly better clarity. That being said I would take the NF for a known in durability and CS if/when you need it.

-pd
</div></div>

I've only looked through two IORs in person and neither had better glass than the NFs. A group of us compared them side to side since we heard a bunch of good things about IORs. They had less FOV and some noticeable distortion around the edges as well. The NF was superior in all aspects.

I have both scopes, actually several of each. I feel the IOR glass is slightly better than the NF. Also I much prefer the IOR elev. knob to the NF because of the greater range per turn. Common consensius is that the NF is the more reliable and durable of the two. I have had zero problems with any of mine but I don't throw my scoped rifles down hills either. Usually just shoot from prone or a bench. My favorite is the SH 3-18 FFP.

I've got an NXS 3.5-15x50mm NP-R2 I bought "used" but never mounted for $1210 in 2005. Also a NXS 5.5-22x56mm NP-1RR I bought well-used for $1250 in 2007. Bought an IOR 3-18x42 SH from Scott @ Liberty Optics. I believe it's a Gen-2. It was $1495 with Seekins rings back in May 2008.

I've got all 3 set up on different rifles, but I've never done a side-by-side comparison.

Nightforce -vs- IOR feels like "Ford -vs- Chevy".

I can't really speak to IOR's customer-service, but Scott @ Liberty Optics customer service has been simply amazing.

I think the real question is how does the ~$1500 IOR 3-18x42 SH compare to the ~$2300 NXS 3.5-15x50 F1?

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pinzmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I much prefer the IOR elev. knob to the NF because of the greater range per turn.</div></div>

I'm curious how I'd like (or dislike) the 5-mils per turn on the NF -vs- the 10-mils per turn on the IOR 3-18x42 SH.

Coming from NF with 1/4 MOA clicks, the clicks on the IOR seem almost "too fine", but it may just be a matter of getting used to them.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got an NXS 3.5-15x50mm NP-R2 I bought "used" but never mounted for $1210 in 2005. Also a NXS 5.5-22x56mm NP-1RR I bought well-used for $1250 in 2007. Bought an IOR 3-18x42 SH from Scott @ Liberty Optics. I believe it's a Gen-2. It was $1495 with Seekins rings back in May 2008.

I've got all 3 set up on different rifles, but I've never done a side-by-side comparison.

Nightforce -vs- IOR feels like "Ford -vs- Chevy".

I can't really speak to IOR's customer-service, but Scott @ Liberty Optics customer service has been simply amazing.

I think the real question is how does the ~$1500 IOR 3-18x42 SH compare to the ~$2300 NXS 3.5-15x50 F1?

Mike </div></div>

Holy cow! I paid $1350 for my NF 3.5-15x50 (two years ago) and $1550 for my 5.5-22x50 about 13 months ago. I didn't know they moved that high in price.

ETA: Midway has the NF 3.5-15x50 for $1483.00

co4life I've got two IOR's and one NF and like them all. Either scope is far better than me. I would look at both and buy the one that best fits my taste. Long story short you can't go wrong with either.