• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IRay AP13 AFFO or AGM TM15-256 for a scanner?

SuperDave17

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2024
Valparaiso,IN
Look for a monocular for scanning my back property about 200acres.These two seem very similar on paper for entry level price point which one would you go with ?

Look for a monocular for scanning my back property about 200acres.These two seem very similar on paper for entry level price point which one would you go with ?

Both are 256x192 core processor and a very small Obj. Go with the one with better battery and warranty.

There both pretty low entry level thermal scanners, they will scan your backyard, and see hot spots couple hundred yards. with any High humidity on a 256x192 core is a killer for good image.
( my advise ) .. You should try to swing for a budget going to at least a 384x288 core hand scanner to be happy.

Reactions: SuperDave17
Both are 256x192 core processor and a very small Obj. Go with the one with better battery and warranty.

There both pretty low entry level thermal scanners, they will scan your backyard, and see hot spots couple hundred yards. with any High humidity on a 256x192 core is a killer for good image.
( my advise ) .. You should try to swing for a budget going to at least a 384x288 core hand scanner to be happy.
Thanks I think I’ll look for a 384 Or higher thermal mono thanks for the input appreciated!

Thanks I think I’ll look for a 384 Or higher thermal mono thanks for the input appreciated!
So what route did you go AGM looks Hard to beat for the money, they are about same spec on paper but the AGM weighs less you cant go wrong with either.

Last edited:
So what route did you go AGM looks Hard to beat for the money, they are about same spec on paper but the AGM weighs less you cant go wrong with either.
I’m probably going to go with a clip on sidekick 640 etc type set up on a LPVO 1x8 ffp on an 18” .223. For 2-300yds max the gun likes the 69gr. better than 77gr. I’m doing the math if I spend 1100 to 1500 on a good monocle and then 5-600 on a NV set up on the gun i might as well go with something i can mount on my Wilcox L4 for scanning with my NV and double duty clip on for a rifle so I’m not dedicating to one rifle and still have my daylight scopes and can switch to different rifles I’m going to contact the guys At Strictly Offensive to get some guidance. I really appreciate this group and wish I would have joined sooner lol all though my wallet would have been thinner.

as big of a FOV and as much resolution as you can afford. Small FOV is miserable
Looking at both of these one is 50mm and 25mm . They say the jockey 640 will work good on 1x6 and 5x don’t know about the TA 651🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_3473.png
    IMG_3473.png
    779.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3472.png
    IMG_3472.png
    1 MB · Views: 16
I’d highly recommend the AGM taipan 19-384 or 25-384. Both my grandpa and I have used one of these for a couple years now. Day or night. -20F to 95F and no issues. I don’t go on a hunt of any kind without it in my bino pack.

I have a hikvision 384 scanner that can be helmet mounted and that's what I used for a couple of years until I recently purchased a RH25. Works fine for animal detection to 500y past that, it's getting hard to tell but you'll still pick up heat signature.

I have a hikvision 384 scanner that can be helmet mounted and that's what I used for a couple of years until I recently purchased a RH25. Works fine for animal detection to 500y past that, it's getting hard to tell but you'll still pick up heat signature.
Appreciate the info on this!

I’d highly recommend the AGM taipan 19-384 or 25-384. Both my grandpa and I have used one of these for a couple years now. Day or night. -20F to 95F and no issues. I don’t go on a hunt of any kind without it in my bino pack.
Thanks for the info might just bite the bullet and go the 640 route

Reactions: YotaEer