• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a SCAR 17 really worth the asking price?

rduckwor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2011
AL, USA
They all seem to be selling for $2500 plus.

Are they really that good or just the phan-boi toy of the month?

Thanks,

If you do get it...replace the poly lower with the ar-10 lower so it accepts PMAG's and GI mags.

It's a tough question. People put a lot of extra money into their scar's to get them "right" (new trigger, hand guard, etc.) but they shoot sweet and are very light. If that is worth the cost of admission for you they are worth it. I have one, and so far so good. Will it end up being worth the money? Not sure yet.

I think they are a really nice battle rifle platform, and in that role, they perform fantastically. If you want a semi auto precision rifle, there are better choices.

It may depend slightly on what you want out of the rifle, but by and large, No.

If you are ok with hitting minute of man targets out to 600m than yes, they are awesome. I love mine
28indd0.jpg

What does it do better than an AR10 platform?

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing really. Liked how they shot when I got to play with one down range. Was my welcome home present.

Wife knows how to treat me.

I own one and think it's worth the price of admission. I've upgraded trigger and mounted nightforce 2.5-10x32 mildot.

With the addition of trigger upgrade and handloading it shoots sub moa. I've rang steel with it out to 1000 yards and have yet to have a malfunction through 500 rounds.

It won't take the place of my bolt rifles, but it's a fun alternative when I feel like mixing it up. I've owned a Larue OBR in the past. The OBR was a little more accurate, but not nearly as reliable. The Scar 17 is also very light weight.

Last edited:
I agree with you Nick. If you are expecting to get target precision from a battle rifle without investing some time and money, this is not your rifle. I don't want a billet lower to add weight to the rifle, nor do I want a 26" bull barrel on this so I can utilize a 6.5 caliber. I think it does what it was made to do very well.

Last edited:
I've owned several 308 AR rifles and my KAC EMC was the most reliable and accurate of the bunch. However, I have sold them all and not replaced them. Note: I may buy a KAC ACC when released. That said, I've owned three scar 17s, sold two, the latest one is not going anywhere anytime soon. I have upgraded the trigger and will upgrade to the MI keymod hand guard soon.

These groups were shot at 100yds using a mix of FGMM and Winchester match ammo w/a bipod and rear bag. The groups were all shot within 10-15 mins max.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407639282.996836.jpg

Simply put, the scar is very reliable and pretty damn accurate if you're focused and shooting good ammo. I think it's worth the price of entry, just don't expect it to shoot like a custom bolt gun.

as has been stated, the Scar 17 is a battle rifle not a precision bolt gun. but as such, it damn sure is worth it, in as much as it's lighter than just about anything comparable, with minor mods is sub MOA, and is more durable and reliable than an AR 10.
Skip

Haha, sorry. But if you dont intend to buy one I didnt see the need to go much farther.

It is a great rifle. It certainly fails miserably in the looks department. Other than that, my opinion is that the scar17 is more dependable, especially when shooting suppressed, than the ar10. It is lighter as well, and shoots almost as well as some of the fancy ar10 designs. It shines as a battle rifle, but is plenty accurate. One thing I have noticed with mine at least, is that it shoots EVERYTHING pretty darn good. I get sub-moa performance out of bulk hornady 150 grain.

Lots of folks seem to want to modify these weapons, but I think they are pretty close to perfect out of the box. I like the stock trigger just fine, but I did drop the giessele in it to shoot long range. The stock trigger takes alot of discipline to shoot lr.

I am running a nf 2.5-10x24 on mine, and it is still very handy with a scope and suppressor.

I enjoyed mine while I had it, upgraded trigger and rail system, tried out several optics on it. Sold it after enjoying it, got what I paid out of it, and then some.

If you are ok with hitting minute of man targets out to 600m than yes, they are awesome. I love mine
28indd0.jpg
I really like the Elcan optics on the Scar's. What do you think of it or did you just sell it? The Scar-17 is definitely lighter than my HK-91 or Fal. I believe it's the lightest 7.62x51 battle rifle on the market at this time. I like mine I just need to decide on an optic to put on it.

I think they are priced a little high but it seems like all lighter weight rifles cost more. That being said, I really like the SCAR 17; so much so, I own two. One is setup for medium to long range with a NF 3.5-15 and the other is set up for shorter ranges with a Vortex Gen II 1-6. Maybe I got lucky with mine but I have no problem with the stock trigger. IMHO it is a fine "battle rifle" but for precision work, there are better options.

They're great... if you like upgrading triggers... and the lower... and if you only want a 308 forever... and if you like only 1 MOA with factory match since you might get lucky and achieve better only if you handload... and if you like having almost no options to choose from than proprietary products... oh and be prepared for the occasional butt stock breaking...
From the way you are writing I'm sure you've never owned one. The OEM trigger needs to be upgraded for precision shooting; OTOH the OEM heavy trigger pull was intended for combat, not bench-shooting or safe-queening.

The polymer lower does not need to be upgraded. SOF that use the SCAR 17 have never reported this polymer lower cracking or become nonfunctional in some way. If they abuse it and find it adequate, certainly you would not be able to break it during use unless you deliberately tried to do so.

I have no idea what you mean by "if you only want a 308 forever". BTW, SOF has been issued kits that mod the SCAR 17 into a 5.56 platform involving little more than a barrel/bolt swap.

I also have no idea where you get the idea that it can only do 1 MOA with factory match; you should see the targets posted by SCAR-17 owners.

As for options, clearly you have no idea how many products there are for this platform; mine has been modded almost as much as my AR.

The buttstock latch issue was resolved many years ago.

So what are you left with? The OEM trigger is not ideal for civilian bench-shooting. That's pretty much it. But ask yourself how many AR's get upgraded with Geisseles or Timneys for people who want more accurate shooting? All of them?

After fondling a 17 at my LGS I immediately put four of my guns up for sale in order to afford one. Was it designed to be a battle rifle (16" barrel, heavier trigger), sure. Are most folks pleasantly surprised to see that the rifle will do sub MOA and even sub 1/2 MOA without any work, yep. Can you get a little more out of it with a better trigger? That's what a lot of guys are saying.

I haven't modded my rifle at all. It'll do about 5/8" to 3/4" with FGGM at 100 yards. I've scoped it and shot it in local precision rifle matches with good results. Placed 2nd during my last outing with it. I was using FGGM and a 3-9x scope. Our max range is about 500 yards and the guy who beat me was using a 6mm benchrest rifle. I beat out several other .223s and .308s - both bolt and semi-auto.

I'm sold on the SCAR. I think I'll eventually top it with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X32, might upgrade the trigger, and may add the forend extended rail to put the bipod out further. But, for now, it was a wise investment for me and worth every penny.

Yes many AR shooters, myself included, upgrade their AR's with Geissele triggers. The 5 I bought from Trading Palace Pawn cost me $190. The SCAR Geissele trigger cost over 50% more. Then you still have to deal with the pencil thin barrel. When it heats up my groups opened up significantly. I sold mine and am happy I did and got a LaRue OBR and have never looked back.

I don't own one because I've shot them and seen their performance. I don't feel like wasting $3K on a folder that was designed for a battle rifle that can go lo-pro.
They don't cost $3K. You should maybe look on GB and see for yourself what the average prices are.

They do have issues so much so that when WA finally legalized SBR's despite my want for a folder that could fit in a back pack I was reminded of all the shit that goes wrong with them by a person here on the forum who uses them for work, is well respected, and no one would argue with if he posted the same things.
Who is this person, what kind of work, does he do, and would he like to come here and prove all of this while giving his opinion on the subject? If he can do all that, then he is still only one single person who happens to dislike the platform.

I'm aware of the difference in trigger pull, and even as a "battle rifle" I still think the trigger needs work.
Everybody's entitled to their opinion.

Those conversion kit's require swapping the barrel assembly, bolt, recoil spring, and the entire lower. There are several other platforms that will do the same thing but not at the cost of $1500+ extra and they don't require an entirely different lower receiver.
Just the barrel itself is $1,100 so I'm not sure what your price outrage is due to. To swap out my AR 5.56 for a 300BLK I have to do pretty much the same thing (except it's the entire upper instead of the lower) and for similar prices. Nonetheless this all still doesn't get to what exactly you mean by if you only want a 308 for the rest of your life.

I know numerous "SOF" who actually use them and they would disagree.
This sounds like an "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you" type of statement. Who are these "NUMEROUS" SOF that you know, and would they like to come on record saying they dislike this platform and would prefer whatever platform is your own personal can of beans??? If not, then this statement of your is just standard anonymous internet white noise.

I never said people don't mod their AR's, but the aftermarket parts for the SCAR are a lot more expensive with limited choices.
The SCAR mods are more limited than a platform that's already been out for decades? Is that supposed to shock people or something? Maybe you should compare the SCAR to another newer platform and see how many mods and what prices companies charge. And maybe you don't even know all the mods that exist for this gun. This is what I'm thinking because I haven't any problems modding this thing to my heart's content.

I disagree that the standard 17 is sub-moa out of the box. I've been behind several that even hand loading could barely get to .75 on average with more than qualified shooters. I see a lot of people that like to post up their groups which conveniently enough don't show anything other than the 1 group tht's one out of 10 and they want to call it an average. Can you get one that will be sub-moa? Sure... but I wouldn't call it the norm.
This sounds like a general statement that was freshly pulled out of somewhere. Please indicate which "people" on which forums posting which groups are conveniently not showing anything other than the alleged single 1 MOA group. Links (that still work)?

The buttstocks still break. It's better now but if you think they can't break you're fooling yourself.
Yeah if you decide to intentionally break them. When you say they still break, please indicate what experience you have with them breaking. Or rather, what experience your numerous SOF buddies have with breaking them, and get them to come here and say so.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I already know the masses will show up just because I didn't think the SCAR was the greatest battle rifle in history to tell me otherwise.
This statement sounds like a preemptive move to try and invalidate all future responses as baseless fanboy defenses. Good forward thinking, sir. Not going to work, but still a nice try.

The SCAR has a couple of little quirks that are easy fixes. I don't think they are the "best" rifle out there but they are certainly worth looking at. The stock breaking I think is actually the folding mechanism. It is a cheap fix and really does not need addressed at all if you don't slam it shut. I hear people complain about the trigger a lot but it really isn't that bad once you spend a little time with it. I had to practice a little with my 16s to get it to group, but once I figured it out I was very pleased with the results. If you can pick one up for 2500.00 I would say go for it. I paid that much for my 16s a while back and I don't regret it at all. This group was shot at 100yds with Fiocchi match ammo. The gun will consistently hold under MOA with good ammo. I have also shot 17's with same results.

Average price is $2600, but MSRP is $3K+ and I see people pay that all the time. I'm not going to get into the price argument where people want to point out the occasional deal they come across and try to use it as a standard for pricing.
Really? If you see that "all the time", surely you can share a few links to help us believe that you didn't just pull this $3K number out of a dark crevasse? And I love how you pull out the MSRP as if this number actually had jack shit to do with anything. Shall I link some GB prices for you and everybody here, or did you already look them up, and decide that you would rather pursue the MSRP schtick instead? ;-)

I meant exactly what was stated which is on the 17 the only flavor is 308.
No, actually 17, as I mentioned also comes in 5.56; in addition 6.8SPC, 300BLK, and 7.62x39 are also available. How many "flavors" is that?

It's just a statement of fact. I never said there weren't mods I said they are limited in choices and expensive, which compared to other platforms like the AR 15 is a fact.
Define "limited" and "expensive". Please indicate your knowledge of SCAR mods that qualifies you to say they are limited. Limited as in I cannot get the mod that I want? Go ahead and tell us which mod for the SCAR that you think is needed (or even just convenient), is actually unavailable.

Expensive is also a completely relative term. Someone who can afford a high quality firearm in the range of the SCAR is not going to be your average $600 Bushmaster purchaser either, nor would you expect mods for the SCAR to be knocked off by cheapass companies like NCStar or Rothco or whatever. If you would like to define AR mods from these companies as "cheap", then you are more than welcome to them.

Now you want me to go a prove every little detail and spend the day dropping links so you can drop your own links and we can go back and forth for a decade. I'm not going to play that game and I'm sure you'll come back with "See you can't show us so it must not be true."
That's usually how it works.
And you're right. You can't show us so it must not be true. Problem?

I've dealt with several new SCAR's that were brought into the shop for repair to the stocks and seen others outside of the shop.
Uh huh, right.....

Since you've allegedly come across so many, how about some photos of broken latches? No?

How am I'm a fanboy when I'm not the one defending a platform? A fanboy is someone who's all about just one thing/person like Larue, SCARs, ACRs, F&D Defense(Lol I couldn't resist), etc...
You should learn to read better. I'm pretty sure I never called you personally a fanboy. I'm not claiming that you are NOT a fanboy, merely that I didn't accuse you of being one.

I'm not a name dropper and out of respect to them I'm not going to go there. You can choose to not believe me all you want and say whatever. You're the one who dropped in talking about SOF and I responded with my experience which doesn't require giving names.

No, it's a statement that I used tact rather than name dropping which is called respect for those in that profession. I don't expect you to understand, nor do I really care. Believe whatever you want. I'll bet you think every platform the Military uses is phenomenal just because they use it...

It's good to know you're one of those people that would drag anyone even a friend into an argument at the first opportunity to try a prove your point... real character there...
Uhhh, I'm pretty sure YOU were the one to "drag" your alleged "friends" into this discussion and then refuse to provide any backup for "their" alleged opinions. You don't agree?

I could make up all kinds of bullshit friends too and say that they claim this, that or the other. On the internet, people can make up whatever "SOF" best friends they want and then attribute their own opinions to that of their supposed buddies and peddle it on a forum as the real deal. This happens all the time on gun forums.

I have one, I like it. It does have its limitations. I think it is a very much compromise rifle that does many things well but no one thing exceptional. Im not sub MOA with mine, more like 1.5 MOA and Im fine with that considering its light weight and compact size. IIRC there is a member here who uses one to hunt in AK with good effect.

ETA:

HDD stuff is vaporware
G trigger is gtg
Recip CH is crap
Still on the fence about optic damage

Last edited:
How exactly am I supposed to prove to you I've sold them for that amount in a retail setting? Let me guess you want to see receipts now. Gun Broker prices are around $2600.
GB prices are indeed around $2,600, and that's what they are selling for these days. But YOUR claim is that they sell for "$3K" "all the time". Why would anyone buy them from you EVER for $3K when they could buy from someone else for $2.6K, to speak nothing of "all the time"??? No offense, but this smells like bullshit.

Just because HDD makes them doesn't mean that's an offered caliber and it's definitely not $2500. And the 16 is the 5.56, not the 17.
If someone makes them, it's an offered caliber; what exactly do you mean by "offered caliber" then? And you're right, those specialty barrels are not "$2500", unless you're you trying to claim that HDD or someone only sells complete rifles in those calibers? What the point of a kit then? And as I keep saying, the military also has kits that turn the 17 into a 5.56.

Lol... really? There are literally a fraction of choices in mods for the SCAR and you need me to list them. Better yet... How about swapping a handguard?
As far as handguard options, I personally know of FIVE different handguard options for the SCAR. If you want just siderail mod, I personally know of two. There are probably more that I can't recall right now.

Your turn.

Yeah because in the AR 15 world all the mods are cheap knock offs...
My point which you obviously missed is that if you want quality you have to pay for it, and the SCAR world in general doesn't contain "cheap" shitty mods like the AR world does. If that is the basis by which you judge "cheap" vs "expensive" then perhaps your judgment needs to be reevaluated.

Lol.... no that's how you want it to work. Believe what you want...
Again, you are unable to put your money where your mouth is, so yes, I will in fact believe what I want, which is that you are talking nonsense out of your ass. Prove me wrong. Go ahead.

Why would I take photos of them? Now you're just being an idiot...
Why? Again, because you are talking out of your ass. Numerous broken stocks have come through your shop, eh? Bullshit. Prove me wrong or GTFO.

No I don't agree. You mentioned SOF and I mentioned knowing people in SOF that disagree. You want me to detail them and have them come onto here just to satisfy your demands and I'm not going to do that because I respect my friends and it's not really important enough to justify or have them come on here so guys like you can try to challenge their experiences based on your need to feel right on the internet.
It does, ergo why I said believe what you want. If I wanted to make shit up though I'd find much better topics to do it with than this, lol...
I mentioned SOF in two instances. The first was that SOF have not reported cracked polymer lowers, and the second was that SOF have been issued 5.56 conversion kits for the 17. You made implicitly acknowledgement of the latter already. As for non-cracking plastic lowers, you should slide over to FN Forums and read up for yourself. This exact topic sometimes comes up with new members who are concerned about the lower not being made of metal, but the answer is always the same, and not a single person has ever been able to find any evidence of this lower getting cracked during regular combat use. This platform has been in service with SOCOM for many years now without any reports of cracked lowers. All you to do is find a single instance of this happening and you could demonstrate me and all of FN Forums to be wrong on this issue.

Your ass, on the other hand, has claimed to personally know "NUMEROUS" people in SOF who've supposedly experienced issues with the SCAR 17. This type of grandiose claim is an automatic red flag to me, and smells of all kinds of bullshit. Which is why I asked you to back yourself up, and unsurprisingly you refused. Did you really think you weren't going to get pressed further when you claim to know numerous SOF that conveniently all share your side of an argument? LOL

I really like the Elcan optics on the Scar's. What do you think of it or did you just sell it? The Scar-17 is definitely lighter than my HK-91 or Fal. I believe it's the lightest 7.62x51 battle rifle on the market at this time. I like mine I just need to decide on an optic to put on it.
I sold the Elcan off. Dont get me wrong, it was a great piece of glass but I felt limited with the BDC. I'm looking to replace it with a US Optics SR-8s to get the advantage of a "Red Dot" sight meets 1-8x power hybrid that it is.

You're going on the assumption that everyone uses GB and feels comfortable buying a gun online. Go into any Sportsmans, Cabela's, Etc and tell me what their asking price is. Do you think they're not getting that much and selling them?
Correct, they are not getting that much and selling them. A gun that sells on GB for $2.6K is not going to fetch $3K at a LGS, at least certainly not “all the time”. You are just flat out lying about your alleged experiences of selling $3K SCAR’s “all the time”.

Again that kit only turns the upper into 5.56 you still have to swap out the lower.
It certainly puts a lie to your claim that you have to live with just the 308 forever. And it’s funny how you set such a high standard for the SCAR. How many other semi-auto 308’s can quickly swap out into other calibers, and how much do they cost? Most 308's have to live with being a 308 forever, but somehow this would not be acceptable for the SCAR platform? What a ridiculous joke of an argument LOL

Wow... a whopping 5-7, maybe 10... I can't even count the options in both length and style for an AR.
And how many of those options do you actually need or want? Like I said before, the AR has been around for decades, and all manner of mods have been made for it, from the cheapest shit which it seems like you prefer, to the high end quality stuff, which is typically what SCAR accessory manufacturers sell. If you can’t afford SCAR accessories, you certainly can’t afford a SCAR. And what recent newer system do you know of that has as many mods as an AR? Do you know of any? Of course you don’t, because there isn’t any. You must be an AR-only owner, since it has so many mods and this makes it so much more awesome than other systems. Like I said before, do you know of any mods that the SCAR needs that isn’t currently available? You struck out with the handguard shot; nice try on that one. Take another shot. Go ahead. 

Every mod for the SCAR is more expensive than even the expensive mods for an AR. That's what happens when you have a proprietary system.
There’s you being full of shit again. I would love for you to prove this one. Or is this another “I can say whatever I want and don't have to prove shit” statement?

Because we all know shops take photos of every broken item that comes in the shop... And if I don't prove you wrong what are you gonna do sunshine? Type me to death?
No need to type you to death. It’s already obvious to anyone following this thread that you’re completely full of shit.

Funny that I never once said anything about cracked lowers yet here you are talking about it. Why would you bring it up when I never said anything about it? Freudian slip maybe?
You mentioned having to upgrade the lower in your original post. What else would you be referring to? Or did you conveniently decide to forget that part?

If it makes you happy then go ahead. Needless to say I won't lose sleep over you not believing me simply because I won't spoon feed you whatever you ask for.

You didn't ask me to back myself up but to detail my friends and have them come on here and report to you with what that told me to validate what I stated. I don't demand stupid shit of my friends unlike you who I can only imagine is limited in that dept... And they don't share my side of the argument but are a contributing factor to it based upon their experience with the platform in what it was intended for and not what guys like you say who shoot at the local range and probably with it folded because you think it's cool which is the only real reason you bought it anyways... that and you heard SOCOM had it so it must be great.
I have 200 SWAT, DEA, and SOF best friends that say the SCAR is the most perfect killing machine in the history of this planet. I don’t need to ask them to come here and back me up because this thread is not really that important and you should just take my word for it. I win. Problem?

I agree with Meat. Have several SWAT and ex-military buddies who have used the SCAR platform in the field and couldnt state more clearly as Meat did. Don't believe everything you read on the internet rather go to the primary sources (if possible) to get your answers.

Is a SCAR 17 really worth the asking price?

I have 200 SWAT, DEA, and SOF best friends

That's a shitload of best friends. I guess our definition of "best friend" could differ. The fact that they're all SWAT, DEA, or SOF really made me laugh.

Last edited:
They all seem to be selling for $2500 plus.

Are they really that good or just the phan-boi toy of the month?

Thanks,

What other full caliber semi auto rifle would, in your opinion, give you more "bang" for the same buck?

With "bang" I mean the overall score of accuracy, reliability, compactness (weight, length), and shootability.

The last item (shootability) is somewhat fuzzy and subjective but I heard from people who shot a SCAR17 for the first time more than once words like: "I cannot believe that this is a .308 This does not weigh a ton and it does not kick like a mule either". Even teenagers or petite women had no second thoughts about emptying a twenty rounder like they were shooting an AR15 mouse gun. The SCAR17 is -after the twice as heavy BAR - the only full caliber battle rifle were full auto could actually be useful for anything other than giggles on a range or for compensating fear with noise in combat.

What leaves room for improvement on a factory SCAR17 is IMO:
- Trigger (fixed by Mr. Geissele or with a stone and polishing wheel in your own hands)
- Reciprocating charging handle (fixed by training)
- Lack of other calibers (hopefully fixed with time either by FN or reliable aftermarket vendors)
- Lock mechanism of folding stock (same as above)

As far as the lack of aftermarket gizmos compared to the AR10 platform is concerned, keep in mind that the AR10, SR25, etc. is a 65+ old broad that has been face-lifted more often than anyone cares to know. The SCAR is not even a teenager yet. Give it a few more years and you'll find plenty of bras in the SCAR closet too.

Last edited:
Should I ask you to detail who they are and demand they come on here and back your statements up proving it? After all that's what meatard keeps demanding I do or else I must be lying.

As I stated earlier. This is the Internet. Do your own research and go from there and use the Internet resources as is - face value. :)

I made my own decision that it's well worth it and left it at that. If I end up not liking it. I will sell it. Simple as that.

As I stated earlier. This is the Internet. Do your own research and go from there and use the Internet resources as is - face value. :)

I made my own decision that it's well worth it and left it at that. If I end up not liking it. I will sell it. Simple as that.

Exactly my feelings.

The argument about how many "authorities" like SOCOM or someone's personal operator buddies actually agree with our personal choices or not is pointless anyway since their mission profile and needs are most likely different from yours, mine, or Joe Civilian's.

Yet I'm wrong for pointing out the many of the same things about its current limitations and told to prove it with photos, links, and testimony. Where's Meatard now making the same demands on others who don't agree with his opinion?

Let's just wait and see. If a counter-attack does not follow it may be because my statement that the SCAR17 is great, certainly worth its money, but not perfect beyond the possibility of improvement was not perceived as an attack on someone's personal choice/opinion.

Lol... They are getting that much and they sell them all the time. You think I'm lying based on you being able to find it cheaper elsewhere.
Not just me, dumbass. Anybody. And yes, something that goes for $2.6K on the internet is not going to get you “$3K” “all the time” in the store. You telling a lie a thousand times won’t turn it into the truth. Economics is economics, unless your customers are fellow retards who only like to buy from their own kind.

It's not a lie. The 17 which was the topic of discussion is in 308. The 5.56 is the 16. If you have to swap out a barrel assembly, bolt, recoil spring, and the entire fuckin lower then your not really shooting a 17 anymore. I can swap out just the barrel on an AR and get any number of calibers for that frame size for under $600.
No, you would in fact be shooting a 17 down-calibered to 5.56, so you don’t have to live with 308 forever. Your opinion on what constitutes convenience or price point is irrelevant to the fact that a 17 can be converted to a 5.56. Therefore, you have again LIED about the 17 being a 308 “forever”. Also, this point is again a mentally retarded argument made by a mental retard, since how many people make all their gun choices based on how many different calibers a given platform can swap into? It sounds like you’re claiming that if a gun cannot convert, it’s not worth buying. So if you personally own ANY gun that is single caliber only, then you are a full-on hypocrite. Why choose a gun that cannot convert to another caliber, since this seems so important to you? And if this is not actually a paramount point in the assessment of a gun, then why the fuck did you bring up this idiotic issue in the first place?

Now you just want to argue whether or not you need something and you want to get away from the original point which is still there are a fraction comparatively and they all cost more...

A trigger upgrade for an AR $200 - SCAR $250+, or how about any billet AR lower $200 - SCAR $400...
I never disagreed that AR accessories can be cheaper than SCAR accessories. But again, your point is as stupid as you seem to be, since in general you get what you pay for, and if you want cheap, you will get cheap.

You also said this: “Every mod for the SCAR is more expensive than even the expensive mods for an AR. That's what happens when you have a proprietary system.”

That means if I can find even ONE SCAR mod cheaper than an expensive AR mod, then you are a liar. Well let’s prove you a liar three times over, shall we?

AR Rainier charging handle: $85.45
Amazon.com : Rainier Arms Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle - .223 / 5.56mm : Other Products : Sports & Outdoors
SCAR GG&G charging handle: $33.45
Amazon.com : Gg&G Scar Angled Charging Handle : Sports & Outdoors

AR Strike Industries selector: $24.95
Amazon.com : Strike Industries AMBI Hex Selector Switch 90 Degrees : Sports & Outdoors
SCAR Magpul selector: $19.30
Amazon.com : Magpul SSG Scar Selector Set, Black : Hunting And Shooting Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

AR Lancer Systems handguard (midlength): $224.42
Lancer Systems LCH Free Float Tube Handguard AR-15 Vented Carbon Fiber
SCAR SRX handguard: $199.95
PWS Accessories: SRX Rail Extension Offerings

Shall I prove you a liar even more times? ROFLMAO!

I didn't forget anything... But no matter what I say you're going to point to your beloved SCAR forum and scream murder since you think they're indestructible.
You specifically said that the lower would have to be changed. Stop being intellectually dishonest and tell everyone here why the lower has to be changed, if you are NOT in fact trying to insinuate that the SCAR’s polymer lower will somehow be inadequate during use? If this is not what you are trying to claim, then why the fuck did you bring up this idiotic issue in the first place?

Like you have friends other than your Call of Duty team. You're an idiot and you can over exaggerate and take my statement way out into left field all you want. You're still not going to get the result you think you're entitled to.
I don’t have a Call of Duty team. Just like you don’t have “numerous SOF” friends. Problem?

Should I ask you to detail who they are and demand they come on here and back your statements up proving it? After all that's what meatard keeps demanding I do or else I must be lying.
No, thmpr said he has some ex-millitary and SWAT friends who like the SCAR. That sounds reasonable. YOUR idiot ass on the other hand said that you had, and I quote, “numerous SOF” friends who agree with whatever retardedness you are claiming on this forum. Next time, if you’re going to lie, at least make it obviously a joke, or something less idiotically implausible.

That's a shitload of best friends. I guess our definition of "best friend" could differ. The fact that they're all SWAT, DEA, or SOF really made me laugh.
You know I was trying to make fun of -Dick-, right? I don’t actually have any SOF friends. That is to say, I have about as many SOF friends as -Dick- does.

What could have been a great thread has now been reduced into a pile of name calling-dick measuring bullshit. Fuck you guys.

What could have been a great thread has now been reduced into a pile of name calling-dick measuring bullshit. Fuck you guys.

This has been happening a lot lately it seems. Someone always has to bring out the measuring stick.

I happen to enjoy my SCAR 17 immensely. For a light compact rifle it is hard to beat. If you would ask my lady what rifle I like best that would be the ticket. Many many many times I come back from a day of shooting and have the comment "guess what I did with the scar today?!". I also own several large frame AR's that have been sitting on the shelf ever since I acquired the scar. Worth every penny. My only complaint is not having a second longer barrel however that 16" CL barrel can do amazing things.

You want to shoot it too??? Here i thought this dick measuring contest was about the SCAR 17 being worth the money...........silly .....guy wants to shoot it too!! He he.

I hear ya on the ammo thing though; I'm buying a Dillon 650 next week, cause there aint no more surplus 308

This has been happening a lot lately it seems. Someone always has to bring out the measuring stick.

Lead poisoning and excessive internet use both lead to diminished intelligence and excessive aggression, so it makes sense gun forums would have a lot of this.

Again an online retailer. Maybe you guys should wake up and realize there is an entire world outside of the internet where people do purchase items.

only a complete fucking moron would pay an additional 300 dollars for something when they don't have to.
besides, you have been proven to be full of shit.
You don't like the scar, fine.
Get over it.