• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is an 8-inch 308 or 12-inch 6.5Cr build possible? Accurate out to 500 yards?

If you're looking for Gucci, do a 375 socom on a piston upper. 8-10 inches is all you need. It'll get to 500, but accuracy is more on the barrel, ammo, and shooter quality.

Slap a can on and have it cerakoted something rediculous and be the star of reddit for a day.

I'm thinking more like starting a gun channel on youtube based on my awesome builds, but reddit is also a definite!

I was actually thinking doing something like that, just a 22 plinking gun in the m4 body and cerekote it with a can, like this Chiappa M4-22:

Chiappa M4-22.jpg

An M4 SBR would be cool, but since my heart isn't really drawn to either 22 or 375, I'd need it to be a killer gun with high resale value since I wouldn't be keeping it anyways. The guns I'm building are guns I plan on keeping for a very long time.

He’s probably referring to the 7.62x63mm. Hell of a round with an 8” barrel I imagine.

Do you know if it is comparable to the relationship that 300blackout has with 556? Softer shooting, out of a shorter barrel, a ton of fun to shoot supersonics and subs as well, especially suppressed, and can reach out and take something down at 500 yards? Not as far as 308 or 6.5 Cr, but at least halfway?

Do you know if it is comparable to the relationship that 300blackout has with 556? Softer shooting, out of a shorter barrel, a ton of fun to shoot supersonics and subs as well, especially suppressed, and can reach out and take something down at 500 yards? Not as far as 308 or 6.5 Cr, but at least halfway?
He's just messing with you. 7.62x63 is 30-06.

• Haha
Reactions: LilGucci
What do you mean by that?

I don't know if its a faster shooting bullet (and therefore crazy concussion like 556 out of a short barrel), but I was expecting that since it was a lighter bullet, it would be softer shooting than a 308, and liveable with subsonics.

The 7.62x63mm is a monster, 6.5 Creed ballistics with a 208gr-215gr bullet. Crushes a 308.

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
FLIR I guess only works through their dealers, I talked to TNVC and they said they'd handle it. Can't remember what the cost was but it was enough that I decided I didn't need it that bad:censored:

People keep saying 300 BO, did they miss the 500 yard requirement?

In real life I’ve had horrible experience with 300BO killing things. I wanted it to work so bad I stuck with it way longer than I should have. Fun to shoot, fun to suppress, but horrible at killing. Got rid of my last one earlier this summer.

I'm not the most accurate shooter, yet, but it has been my experience and the experience of many others of having difficulty hitting targets out to 400 yards with 300blkout, and I'd prefer as little bullet drop as possible at 3-400 yards. So far, 6.5 Grendal is the only other caliber, with a 12" or less barrel that can do that out to 500yards.

I don't know if its a faster shooting bullet (and therefore crazy concussion like 556 out of a short barrel), but I was expecting that since it was a lighter bullet, it would be softer shooting than a 308, and liveable with subsonics.
You've got a ways to go with your understanding of these things. Inevitably people here are gonna dick with you some. We were all new at one point so while we get it, the questions your asking are a lot like if I went into the pits at a Formula 1 race and starting making comparisons with my Volkswagen to the engineers and pit crew. Sure I own/operate/maintain a car that has 4 wheels and a motor but thats where the similarities end.
You're trying to run before you walk.

You've got a ways to go with your understanding of these things. Inevitably people here are gonna dick with you some. We were all new at one point so while we get it, the questions your asking are a lot like if I went into the pits at a Formula 1 race and starting making comparisons with my Volkswagen to the engineers and pit crew. Sure I own/operate/maintain a car that has 4 wheels and a motor but thats where the similarities end.
You're trying to run before you walk.
That is absolutely true, and thank you for not tearing me down because of this newly found passion that has entirely engrossed me. But I hear you guys, I'm wanting something that doesn't exist because if it did, you'd hear about it more often. It was one of my fun projects, but I now think I'll just stick to a 9-inch or less 300 blackout, and a 6.5 Grendal for my SBR 12-inch pistol as my two SBR Pistol gucci/instagram guns. Thank you Tony.

The 7.62 creedmoor was an April fools joke a year or two ago.

You're being a good sport and clearly want to learn. Good deal.

The earlier suggestion one guy had of the 6.8 SPC is a good one. It excels in short barrels around 12 inches and is more than capable of moa at 500 yards. There are an endless amount of wildcat cartridge options that would work for you two, but besides being a whole bother world themselves, the resale will be worse than factory chamberings.

Buddy of mine has a 308 hk 51k full auto with a 4" Barrel on it. It's minute of berm accurate and produces the biggest fireball I've seen out of a gun. Gloves highly necessary.

But honestly if you are wanting a 8" Barrel there is no reason to get Into Mangum calibers. Won't gain anything with that barrel length. 300blk or 6.5 Grendel sounds like what you are after.

The 7.62 creedmoor was an April fools joke a year or two ago.

You're being a good sport and clearly want to learn. Good deal.

The earlier suggestion one guy had of the 6.8 SPC is a good one. It excels in short barrels around 12 inches and is more than capable of moa at 500 yards. There are an endless amount of wildcat cartridge options that would work for you two, but besides being a whole bother world themselves, the resale will be worse than factory chamberings.

Do you ever see 6.8 spc taking over the way that 556 is now on the civilian side of things?

Goals for 8.6CM are to become the big brother, essentially, of 300BLK. Awesome supersonic and subsonic performance out of a short barrel. Expanding subsonic. Accuracy. Functioning of gas guns with both supersonic and subsonic ammo. Lethal. More energy with the supersonic out of a short barrel than 308 out of a long barrel.

Yes, Hornady and others (likely everyone), will make the ammo.

Long range? Not "long", but long enough for most things.

Hunting. Targeting shooting. Silently shooting.

So my long-range (500 yards 1moa) suppressed short-barrel gucci/instagram project might not be dead after all lol ?

You just made my day, a bigger brother to the 300 Blackout is what I've been waiting for. Now, I just gotta wait a year or two until its mainstream enough.

Reactions: deersniper
No. It will be decades before anything takes the place of 5.56.

Good. Save me some money in the meantime since it's an unnecessary caliber to build in, with 556/300blkout/6.5 Grendal and the larger calibers meeting most of my needs already.

Reactions: Raffica762
Good. Save me some money in the meantime since it's an unnecessary caliber to build in, with 556/300blkout/6.5 Grendal and the larger calibers meeting most of my needs already.

I’d do a 6.5 Grendel in a semi for your role.

You guys have to admit though, a 14.5 P/W 7-twist bolt 30-06 folder throwing 230 hybrids suppressed would be... kinda badass.

Reactions: OldSalty
I've never heard of that round until this comment.
That's because they don't make it anymore , it was a special super snipery experimental round . it was designed to be fired out of a ninjas nunchucks but it proved to be way to dangerous for any mere mortal to handle . it was quickly abandoned and the blueprints and any information about it was locked in a trunk and buried on oak island .

• Haha
That is absolutely true, and thank you for not tearing me down because of this newly found passion that has entirely engrossed me. But I hear you guys, I'm wanting something that doesn't exist because if it did, you'd hear about it more often. Thank you Tony.
No problem, if you would've marched in here pretending to know everything like some guys do this would be more entertaining though!

I'll try to do a quick breakdown of some of the basic problems with what you're asking for, without writing a short book.
Regarding 308 or 6.5CM, they're in a bigger cartridge family than the other stuff listed, 300BO, 223, 6.5G etc., and not only require an AR10 sized platform (bigger, heavier, less parts commonality, all bad for PDW stuff) they also use a lot more powder and will always have more recoil. Because they use more powder you want the gas system further from the chamber but in a 12" or shorter barrel the gas system will be short and BCG function will be violent and recoil harsh. Probably very hard on suppressors also and not as quiet. Not suited to subsonic loads in a gas gun because when you consider that a full power load is burning around 42 grains of powder and a sub maybe 8 grains you'll understand that its impossible to optimize a gas system for one that will function or be safe at the other end of the spectrum.
You can get a 300BO to run subs and supers because a full power load might burn 20 grains while a sub maybe 7-9, so the difference at either end isn't nearly as extreme.

The difference in ballistcs between 6.5G and 6.8 is splitting hairs under 500yds, both of them will do what you want. But understand that everything is a comprise. The short barrels that you want will give you less velocity, which means more drop and wind drift. The gun may still be capable of MOA at 500 but the lower velocity will make your wind calls and range estimate accuracy even more crucial.

Don't forget that a decent amount of magnification really helps to shoot small groups at 500, and a big heavy scope kinda defeats the purpose of a small light gun. Not saying you can't do it, just saying its another compromise and you could end up with a gun thats just barely OK at most things and not great at any one thing.

Reactions: lawofsavage
Spec ops like it. It has to be good

When I did work for a SOT ..we did a few short bbl 308s ..did a 10.5 bbl with, carbine length gas and a 7.5" with pistol gas..funny thing the 7.5 308 wasn't as loud as the 10.5 308..maybe powder not being burned? I dont know..was fun and doing post sample lowers for them was really fun...if I can remember the 7.5 308 was easy to do cycling sub sonic with..but already address..a 220gr pill going 1050 feet per second from a 308 is the same as from a 300 blackout

Think vs application...

Write back when you test her out so we can all learn;)

I have not done gel testing or cut bullets out of animals but I have laid out a lot of wild pigs with 110vmax going about 2300 from a 10.2" Noveske. 95% Of the time at night and 20-125yds. Effectiveness seemed to fall off on pigs larger than 175-200lbs

Relly? Wow I played around with Lehigh defense 78gr ..but I may need to check those 120's out for sure thank you

6.8 spc fits well with your specs. As does a 6.5 grendel. With the spc, there are heavy projectiles to make subs with, and the regular loads rip out of a sbr. The grendel is not far behind, either fits your target requirements. Not as much energy waste in these setups., as there is with .308/6.5 cm.

This is an interesting conversation. I want to do a subsonic 30 cal and I have decided on a 16" 308 so I can shoot sub hand loads and still be able to shoot full power 308 or 7.62 if I need to pick some up off the street for reasons (you know, foreign or domestic.) I didn't consider the barrel length having a negative effect on my can. Would a 16" with full power 308 be hard on a supressor?

Would a 16" with full power 308 be hard on a supressor?
Normal use is hard on suppressors, just like shooting is hard on barrels, but a 16" 308 won't try so hard erode everything in its path the way a 8" will. Most manufacturers will tell you how short of a barrel a given can is rated for.
Whats with so many people wanting gas guns to shoot single shot though?

Reactions: Iwillylike2shoot
Normal use is hard on suppressors, just like shooting is hard on barrels, but a 16" 308 won't try so hard erode everything in its path the way a 8" will. Most manufacturers will tell you how short of a barrel a given can is rated for.
Whats with so many people wanting gas guns to shoot single shot though?
This one will be a bolt gun.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
16" .308 is still good. I think its the ideal .308 length for a versatile rifle. I run a gas gun at that length. I sucks past 600ish, but is sweet under that. I have shot it to 1000 yards, and you can get hits, but dont make this build for that distance.

Reactions: Iwillylike2shoot
16" .308 is still good. I think its the ideal .308 length for a versatile rifle. I run a gas gun at that length. I sucks past 600ish, but is sweet under that. I have shot it to 1000 yards, and you can get hits, but dont make this build for that distance.
600 is good with me.