• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Is anyone making trainers out of CZ452s anymore?

Stokes

Quiet
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2001
South Puget Sound, WA
I got a trainer bug five years ago, and bought up three 452s for future projects that I never got around to doing.

But, now it looks like everyone is building on the 455. I'm assuming this is because the easy of barrel swaps compared to the 452s.

Do you guys think it's worth fiddling with the 452s, or should I just sell them off and start over with 455s?

Also, is there a budget stock for the 452s?

They are still being used by quite a few people. However, it seems that CZ is phasing out the 452 as a trainer rifle and shifting their focus on the 455. Barrel makers like Lilja are also starting to make barrels for the 455. I'd like to make a trainer as well and I plan on using the 455 in .17 HMR. (will also be used for pest control.)

You can still get a tacticool stock for the 452.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=6376&cat=1215

Personally, I'd keep one of the 452s just for plinking/possible collecting value. Just go with the 455.

Last edited:
Since the 455 has the easier option to rebarrel I'd lean that way. Keep one of the 452's as they are very popular and will continue to be down the road. You can easily sell the remaining two over on Rimefire Central. What 452 models do you have?

I want to think they are called 'Cadet' rifles. I bought them because they were relatively inexpensive compared to other models, and because I mainly wanted the actions. They are kid sized, with small birch stocks and 16" barrels. Open sights as well.

I've never rebarreled one of these, but putting a stout barrel on and a Tacticool stock might make for a low buck trainer that might even shoot.

I recently bought a 452 varmint. I love that little rifle. It came with a bunch of the mods/add ons so I was good to go from beginning. It actually outshoots my 10/22 that I built.

nothing really wrong with doing the 452 as a trainer, and with the cadet the barrel is already "cut back". there is still just as much, perhaps even more support out there for the 452. but with the passage of time, the 455 will take precedence, and the barrel / caliber switch adds a ton more functionality / options.

i'd rather go (and have) with the 455 as the new foundation of trainer for those reasons.