• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is everyone happy with their B&C Medalist A2

BK7saum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2010
Southern OK
Looking at this stock, because it it much cheaper that the McMillan and Manners. From the posts I have read, seems to be a good stock for the value. For those that use the Medalist, are you happy with it. Is the function 100%, or is their definitely a reason to spend 3x more money on a McMillan or Manners.

Thanks. Just want to be better informed before I purchase.

Re: Is everyone happy with their B&C Medalist A2

i have one, it does its work well, i modiefied the fat forend a bit.
length of pull is a bit short for me, as i am tall
it needed skim bedding on my howa.

id save for a mcmillan or maners if i had to do it again

They're terrible. Ugly, unergonomic, heavy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're terrible. Ugly, unergonomic, <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">heavy</span>
</span></span>

</div></div>

So you're telling me a MCM isn't?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're terrible. Ugly, unergonomic, heavy
</div></div>

Do you have one? Can't imagine anybody that has one thinking that.

I run the light tactical model and it does everything I need. I did a quick skim bed with Devcon and it has been perfect for me. I have put about 800rounds through the rifle so far and have no problems with durability, zero or anything else. If I was parachuting into a war zone the extra durability of a manners or Mcmillan would be comforting but for hunting, matches and just dicking around at the range I have no complaints and would rather spend the money on ammo.

A friend of mine has one on his 7mm. He has no complaints. I shot it a few times, has a good feel and look to it.IMO

I have one on my Savage .308 with more than 4500 rounds on it zero complaints. It is a bit heavy the rifle weighs in at just over 18 pounds but it has a 1.15 strait taper bbl and thats half the weight right there. I did bed it and added a Karsten cheek peice, for the money it has served me well. But I wont put one on the rifle I'm building right now I am going to spend more money for an AICS.

I run one and it works fine. I too was on a tight budget when having my rifle built. It was skim bedded when assembled and the barrel channel opened up. I also needed to add a stock pack to bring my eye up a bit. It is on the ugly side, especially the forend but, it works as advertised. The true benefit to a McM, Manners, etc., is the ability to customize it to your specific needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're terrible. Ugly, unergonomic, heavy

</div></div>

That is 100% true and yes I have one. They’re not bad for prone shooting. Otherwise they are heavy and cumbersome. They do not lend well to sitting or standing positions. The grip area is much thicker than a Manners or McMillan both these stocks come up often in the for sales section.

To the op, if you’re looking for a solid less expensive stock check out the H&S precision stocks. You can purchase the H&S stocks from Mike R. @ Tac-ops (tacticaloperations.com) for $225ish. They are just as nice as the B&C stocks, though the B&C stocks have a much nicer finish out of the box. Neither the B&C or H&S compare to the Manners or McMillan, so if that's the route you want to take save the coin. Buy once cry once, this hobby anit cheap.

SPS tactical sitting in a H&S stock.
p1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tanda10506</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're terrible. Ugly, unergonomic, heavy
</div></div>

Do you have one? Can't imagine anybody that has one thinking that. </div></div>

No I don't, because I used one and thought to myself 'why would anyone buy this piece of shit'

I think it decent a cheap alternative to other higher priced stocks. I have a friend that has one on a Remington 700 and the stock works well. He even dropped a CDI mag well into with a little dremel work. Let's face it if I am having a Action trued by GAP, APA, Skunk works and pay high coin for it I am probably going to spring for a Mcmillan, AICS or Manners; however, if I want to change out my SPS crappy stock this is a good alternative.

I bought one, got some cdi bottom metal and went to work. I like mine alot looks good, I shot it off hand with little to no issue as I will be using this as a deer rifle when I dont go and shoot it for plinking/competitions.

No complaints at all for the $. I think Jstarsz sums it up well <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it decent a cheap alternative to other higher priced stocks. I have a friend that has one on a Remington 700 and the stock works well. He even dropped a CDI mag well into with a little dremel work. Let's face it if I am having a Action trued by GAP, APA, Skunk works and pay high coin for it I am probably going to spring for a Mcmillan, AICS or Manners; however, if I want to change out my SPS crappy stock this is a good alternative. </div></div>

I would buy again, they fit in to my budget.

I bought one, Shot it a few times, never bedded it, just shot it. it helped over the tupperware stock it came with. After about 2 months, I took it off sold it on here, saved up a little change and bought the McMillian A5. It feels much better than the B&C. But it is what you can afford. I do agree though with the H.S. over the B&C for a lower end stock. My Savage came with a H.S. and I really like it.

A good value and a big improvement over the factory Remington (Hogue) or Savage plastic stocks mine came with.

SPS

DSCF4656-2.jpg

10 FCP

DSCF4660.jpg

Thanks, everyone. I ended up purchasing the B&C over the HS. I may eventually save up for a Manners, but right now am on a budget. Even though I have a custom barreled action coming, budget is about gone.

It will be a 7mm short action ultra mag in a Stiller Tac 300 long action with a 26" Krieger fluted barrel. I ordered the tan w/ black web B&C A2. Will skim bed when all the parts arrive. It is throated long to seat 180 berger/jlks in the neck and not take up valuable powder space and also to allow me to chase lands if I need too.

Should be a shooter. Louisiana Precision Rifles is putting the barreled action togther for me.

Thanks again everyone.

No worries on your rifle, if William is putting it together it will be a shooter.

I also bought a B&C Medalist Tactical in Tan/Black web on Friday, should get it sometime next week. A Howa 1500 .308 will go in it. I would've liked to have a Manners or McMillan, but I don't want the wait or the additional expense. I've felt the B&C and liked it, the Manners' palm swell is actually a bit much for me. I'm waiting for McRee to come up with a Howa inlet.
laugh.gif
Before that happens, I'll put a CDI or Roedale DBM in this B&C and learn with it for the time being.

I'll use the price difference on the stocks for Lapua brass, bullets and powder...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tanda10506</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're terrible. Ugly, unergonomic, heavy
</div></div>

Do you have one? Can't imagine anybody that has one thinking that. </div></div>

No I don't, because I used one and thought to myself 'why would anyone buy this piece of shit'</div></div>

I don't have one so I'm not biased, but its pretty obvious you're a pretty sour fella. People have these things called opinions. Your opinion is obviously negative, but that doesn't mean everyone's is. Let people like what they want to like.

With that said, for my first precision rifle build, the B&C stocks are on my list of possible stocks.

Im not one for really complaining about what I use. I just make due with what I have and have some fun sending metal down-range.

i dont mind them, i just cant stand the fore end. i prefer the b&c light tactical

I really like mine. It has a good feel to it. I don't think its heavy at all and I walk 2-4 miles at a time when I'm groundhog hunting.

I didn't like mine as well. Forearm was horrible! So if any of you are wondering,i no longer own one.

I think the light tactical is a good stock though.

I did contact B&C about the A2. They said modifying the profile of the forend will not affect the integrity of the stock. So I may take a belt sander to mine to aleviate the square edges fo the target style forend to make it more like the light tactical profile (if I don't like the flat/square forend). Nothing that a belt sander and a bit of flat brown and black spray paint can't touch up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLK7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did contact B&C about the A2. They said modifying the profile of the forend will not affect the integrity of the stock. So I may take a belt sander to mine to aleviate the square edges fo the target style forend to make it more like the light tactical profile (if I don't like the flat/square forend). Nothing that a belt sander and a bit of flat brown and black spray paint can't touch up.

</div></div>

Belt sander might be alittle much. They sand down alot easyer than you thing but they are still good to work with. Have fun.

I will try to sand it down also when I get mine in a week. Does anyone have pictures with modified forend?

Received my A2 stock today. The inletting in the trigger area did not seem to be centered in the rear cutout of the aluminum block. Also one side of the stock was approximately .040" thicker than the other. The tang inlet also did not appear to be quite centered in the bottom metal inlet(very minor). It appeared that when the stock was milled that one side of the trigger inlet was left thicker than the other. This is probably just cosmetic.

I don't have my barreled action yet or bottom metal to check the fit. I think all will fit together fine and once installed will not be noticeable.

Does anyone know how B&C makes the stocks? Is the block held in a mold or is stock material layered on some way that could account for the difference in thickness or the block not centered in the stock.

Fit of stock. If all goes together well, I can definitely see some stock modification is in order. The square edges of the forend will have to go and I may need to modify the large palm swell.

If you mod the fore end, post a thread with pics on how you did it.

I'm not a fan of the benchrest-esque fore end, but i do like the gradual ramp for quick elevation change

Funny I just found this thread I started modifying my B&C a2 forend a few days ago..

I started with a palm sander and didn't quite get the results I was striving for. I decided to borrow the old mans belt sander and it did the trick but you deffinately have to take it slow with those monsters.

I was lucky enough that I didn't come across any air pockets but got a little trigger happy with the belt sander and one side was a little un-even.

Snagged one of those bondo cloth-fiberglass-resin repair kits for like 10 bucks just to clean things up a bit just finishing up some sanding by hand and then I'll paint.

I'll see if I can find the wifes camera to post a pick before and after paint.

Found it.. bare with me, never messed with bondo before..lol
100_1528.jpg

100_1527.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL1KKL4C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny I just found this thread I started modifying my B&C a2 forend a few days ago..

I started with a palm sander and didn't quite get the results I was striving for. I decided to borrow the old mans belt sander and it did the trick but you deffinately have to take it slow with those monsters.

I was lucky enough that I didn't come across any air pockets but got a little trigger happy with the belt sander and one side was a little un-even.

Snagged one of those bondo cloth-fiberglass-resin repair kits for like 10 bucks just to clean things up a bit just finishing up some sanding by hand and then I'll paint.

I'll see if I can find the wifes camera to post a pick before and after paint.

Found it.. bare with me, never messed with bondo before..lol
100_1528.jpg

100_1527.jpg
</div></div>

That looks better already.

CL1KKL4C

Did you just round the corners or did you thin the forend a signficant amount? Have you messed with the vertical grip?

I haven't started the mod on mine yet. Will probably start soon and see how far I go til it feels right.

I just took that big ass step out of the forend really. I tried to make it flush with the rest of the rifle.

Once I got that taken care of I tossed some bondo on there to just clean everything up a bit. I didn't really round the corners too much, just a touch while sanding by hand.

In regards to the vertical grip; I probably won't do much to it beside maybe try and flatten the hump on top a smidgen.

Deffinately try with a palm or orbital sander first.. The belt sander can get a tad hairy at times.

I snagged my B&C at www.stockysstocks.com but they pop up for sale all the time when someone snags a Manners/Mcmillian or AICS.

Figured I'd post one last shot of the modded forend before I camo it up. I finished the texture on the forend and grip and threw down my first color for the camo.

100_1529.jpg

100_1530.jpg

Post some more pics when you are done!
smile.gif

Been busy past week, here's some photos of the finished product. Excuse the camo, it was my second attempt and was trying for a mcmillian jungle or dark but couldn't find any rattle cans that quite worked.
BCstockB4.jpg

BCstockB41.jpg

SAV308.jpg

BCstocl1.jpg

I am happy with it. Found that I had to introduce Mr. Dremel to it a bit so that the action sits evenly. Also, I found the the LOP is a bit short and I am not tall by any stretch of the imagination.

I did mine. Somewhat like the post above, but I made mine a little more rounded.

DSCF0044-1.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

Wow that stock looks good! I have had been making this same debate lately. Seems to Me like the manners and mcm offer better accuracy in the way of a better fit to the body but, stock to stock the b&c is just as good in terms of material. Am I missing anything or this accurate?

If I had the money I would have picked up a Manners or Mcmillian, no doubt... With that said; I'm completley satisfied with the B&C alternative for 200 bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did mine. Somewhat like the post above, but I made mine a little more rounded.

DSCF0044-1.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg
</div></div>

You really did a fantastic job. You got me thinking I'm gonna have to go after mine now.

So far, I've only done a slight modification to the forend. I just rounded the lower corners with a rasp and painted on some thin epoxy to take care of the fibers that were exposed. That made a big difference in how the rifle fits the hand. I may try and thin the forend like CL1KKL4C, but for now, it is definitely good to go.

I had to open up the barrel channel quite a bit for the Krieger 5.5 contour fluted barrel. I expected it to drop in, but either the channel wasn't inletted deep enough or the bedding block was too low. I bedded the action and PT&G trigger guard with acraglas. I had to widen the top of the remington internal box magazine to feed the SAUM brass. The box mag was a magnum, but still too narrow. The rounds would jump out from beneath the feed lip of the action.

I think now it is ready to go. I just need to wait for a less windy day here in Oklahoma to go shoot a ladder test.

I'll try and get some pics posted soon. This project is finally coming together.

Brad

I went with the A2. When I first got it, I just assembled to the action on my SPS and shot it. I noticed right away that the barrel channel was "warped". The barrel back by the recoil lug was actually contacting when the rifle heated up.

I wasn't happy, but, I decided to relieve the sidewall and skim bed using acra-glas.

029.jpg

I am really pleased with it now, other than the weight. After seeing some of the rework on this thread, I think I will knock down the "brick" forend and repaint

011-4.jpg

BLK, I would like to see some photos of the rifle once its finished, sounds like its coming together.

Crockett&BLK, when you guys bedded the actions did yuo modify the aluminum block at all? I've read of people using a drill press and putting some dimple's in the block to hold the bedding compound. I have also read of people just ruffing up the texture a bit with a demel.

I have one, for $200 I can't complain. It shot well without being bedded. The one thing that really bothers me is the barrel does not sit even in the channel. Not too worried about since I just picked up a Manners.

I had a very similar problem with my brother's savage 12. it sat apparently crooked in the stock, he did the install sans bedding compound, so I finally talked him into handing it over to me for a few days, and with a little epoxy, and filler, I got her sitting straight as an arrow and bedded nicely to boot. Shoots fantastic!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL1KKL4C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BLK, I would like to see some photos of the rifle once its finished, sounds like its coming together.

Crockett&BLK, when you guys bedded the actions did yuo modify the aluminum block at all? I've read of people using a drill press and putting some dimple's in the block to hold the bedding compound. I have also read of people just ruffing up the texture a bit with a demel. </div></div>

I just ruffed it up a bit as you've described. I will tell you that bedding made a dramatic improvement in the accuracy of my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crockett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL1KKL4C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BLK, I would like to see some photos of the rifle once its finished, sounds like its coming together.

Crockett&BLK, when you guys bedded the actions did yuo modify the aluminum block at all? I've read of people using a drill press and putting some dimple's in the block to hold the bedding compound. I have also read of people just ruffing up the texture a bit with a demel. </div></div>

I just ruffed it up a bit as you've described. I will tell you that bedding made a dramatic improvement in the accuracy of my rifle. </div></div>

That is exactly how I did it as well. Just roughed it up and laid the compound on. No need to put all the dimples in it and mess up the aluminum block.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL1KKL4C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BLK, I would like to see some photos of the rifle once its finished, sounds like its coming together.

I did not drill or dimple the bedding block on the A2. It was already roughed pretty good when I relieved the barrel channel with coarse sandpaper around a dowel. I have drilled the bedding block on a hogue full bedding block stock, putting the holes in at different angles to provide a mechanical lock for the bedding in case the adhesion to aluminum was poor. I took a bolt rifle armorer's class last year and the gunsmith/instructor recommended drilling small 1/8" or smaller holes at different angles. Holes much smaller than 1/8" makes it mored difficlt to get acraglass into though.

I will have to break out the camera soon and get some pics. I could try my cell phone but the photo quality would be poor.