• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Harris really that good?

Flying Goose

Gun Toting Hippie
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2012
Wyoming
I've always used Harris bipods and never questioned how good they actually are. In the last couple years I've started competing in local events getting back into competitive shooting and I've noticed a lot of other manufacturers on the lines. Just wondering who uses what and specifically what are better options for a heavy stick.

Re: Is Harris really that good?

A wider stance is usually better, but it depends on what you compete in.
- Maximum stability or flexible and quick deployment.

I was just shooting silly club matches all stationary on KD targets, looking into F-Class and LRTR though so ability to grow is a key!

All a bipod does is hold up a rifle. The Harris is good at that and does it at a good price and is good quality. Been using them for years and don't plan on changing. I use the 6-9" and 9-13" notched leg with swivel versions on my match rifles.

What Rob said. Except I favor the slick leg and friction lock. Either way, Ive never had a Harris fail on me in any way.

I use a harris 6-9" notched legs with swivel. I use this in the mountains and it gets dirty and still does well. I hear the atlas bipods don't like dirt at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I hear the Atlas bipods don't like dirt at all.</div></div>

Or mud, ice, and wet snow.

Its the old build a better mousetrap thing. While i salute Atlas for trying to build a better pod, The Harris 6-9 just flat out work great.

Harris bipods are perfect. I have used one 6-9 for the last two years. I have used it A LOT, and there have been zero issues. Where I shoot, we have a lot of that moon sand (it's tantamount to talc powder), and it gets into everything! Even after the Harris' legs get coated with it, there have still never been any issues.

We have swivel/notched Harris on all our guns except for one Caldwall (Harris wanna be, but really isn't that bad) and have had zero problems. Made pointy feet for ours which helped them in certain conditions, they work great and are reasonably priced. The only time I saw an Atlas do something I thought might be helpful was a fella at one of our Sniper Matches put one leg out, the other leg back and rotate it so it straddled a log for one shooting position. Looked pretty cool and the Harris can't do that but how often do we need our bipods to perform a split for a shot?

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I hear the Atlas bipods don't like dirt at all.</div></div>

Or mud, ice, and wet snow.</div></div>

Never had a problem with my Atlas, and I've shot in all of the above. Especially dirt. Never had a problem with Harris copies (Caldwell and some other cheapo brand) either, so maybe I'm just not very good at screwing up my gear.

Okay so last question then I'll let you guys duke it out over if the Atlas bipods like dirt or not. Anyone played with a Sinclair Tactical. Looks nice and burly notched legs but no pan feature to my knowledge.

Am I crazy or is pan a huge feature for adjusting for multiple targets without the legs bouncing around like I would think they would do with a fixed set up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FlyingGoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay so last question then I'll let you guys duke it out over if the Atlas bipods like dirt or not. Anyone played with a Sinclair Tactical. Looks nice and burly notched legs but no pan feature to my knowledge.

Am I crazy or is pan a huge feature for adjusting for multiple targets without the legs bouncing around like I would think they would do with a fixed set up?</div></div>

Is the Sinclair worth the price? That's an expensive bipod which really doesn't appear to be "better".

the pan feature is not needed, IMHO. I just shot a match yesterday with multiple transitions, one stage required 5 diiferent transitions, not once did I miss due to lack of panning capability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the pan feature is not needed, IMHO. I just shot a match yesterday with multiple transitions, one stage required 5 diiferent transitions, not once did I miss due to lack of panning capability.</div></div>

Big +1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FlyingGoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay so last question then I'll let you guys duke it out over if the Atlas bipods like dirt or not. Anyone played with a Sinclair Tactical. Looks nice and burly notched legs but no pan feature to my knowledge.

Am I crazy or is pan a huge feature for adjusting for multiple targets without the legs bouncing around like I would think they would do with a fixed set up? </div></div>

Bipods come in many shapes, sizes, and most importantly, prices, these days. Harris is the ole standby and I also like my Atlas. Sinclair makes one($$), LRA makes one($$) you'll see it on the XLR website near the bottom of the page here and Elite Iron also has an innovative pod but it's as pricey as the Sinclair and LRA.

Your choice will most likely be determined by your budget, then weight, followed by features/needs. More money=more options and gadgets but it's a luxury, not a necessity and doesn't guarantee you'll shoot better. Harris and Atlas rule the roost for good reason and I wouldn't invest $450 in a pod until I tried both and determined that I couldn't use either one(which isn't likely)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the pan feature is not needed, IMHO. I just shot a match yesterday with multiple transitions, one stage required 5 diiferent transitions, not once did I miss due to lack of panning capability.</div></div>

Big +1</div></div>

Another +1. I don't notice the lack of panning when shooting on Harris bipods or other non-pannable 'pods.

Alright you guys have convinced me I'll keep the extra $100 and put that towards my next rifle.

As a operational sniper, sniper team leader and sniper instructor I have never seen a Harris not do its job or fail. I am partial to the notched swivel models as they give you all of the best features of their line

Notched is the way to go, there is a youtube video that shows how easy it is for the smooth leg version to collapse on you.

Own three different pair, all are excellent and all hold up to hard use. Time-tested, stupid-proof design. I'm sure they're great, but I feel $280 for a set of bipods is too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grizzdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Notched is the way to go, there is a youtube video that shows how easy it is for the smooth leg version to collapse on you. </div></div>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pe4iZHIx3So&sns=em"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pe4iZHIx3So&sns=em" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Started with a 6-9 straight leg, and recently switched to notched leg, never had an issue with them in training, hunting, or competing. Im not really asking a bipod to do my taxes, the less i notice the bipod (and its issues) the better.

On a side note, i found that play-doh and a couple of gatorade bottle caps make for smooth tracking when shooting on concrete slabs, and its cheap and temporary if you dont want to have 24/7 pod paws.

I used Harris for over a decade but in the last few years have sold almost all of them off and went with Atlas.

Harris Bipods work fine, in many cases they work great. Though I am working and shooting in a variety of conditions and I rarely have level ground to work off of. When I was introduced to the Atlas I found out how much easier it was to adjust and the Atlas sports more adjustment options. With a large majority of my weapons sporting a pic rail on the forearm it also makes it easy to move the Atlas from weapon to weapon. Over the past two years I made it a point to mount pic rails on most of my long guns. With my Atlas bipods sporting a QD mount I can move the bipod from weapon to weapon in a matter of seconds.

The Atlas is pricey but I definitely believe it is worth it for the tactical marksman. If all you are doing is laying out prone on relatively even ground then the Harris will serve you well.

I'd like to know more details concerning the comment about the Atlas not liking dirt.