• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it my imagination, or does my Shooting Chrony show higher velocity in bright sunlight?

colt933

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Tennessee
Seems like, on a partly cloudy day, my chrony shows MUCH greater ES/SD as the sun and clouds move around. The velocity seems 80-100fps higher in bright sunlight than in cloud.

Does anyone else have this experience?

My first chrono was the Magneto Speed, but from what I remember one of the advantages of it over an optical array is the lack of environmental "interference" associated with the conventional chronos.

I was starting to see some variance in velocities with my chrony and thought the same as above "ammo temp". The next time I went out I had my ammo in a cooler to prevent this, and I was seeing anywhere from 50-150 fps differences from 8 am to 2-3PM. I have since switched to the MagnetoSpeed and haven't seen the issue since. I have no idea, for sure, what caused it but from what I could "tell" it had something to do with the lighting. Take it for what it's worth!

When you say cloudy conditions, do you have the louvers installed. As I understand, they are only for clear conditions as they simulate clouds.

Yes, sun light will effect your readings with the Chrony. Use the sunshades or wait for a cloudy day/ shade.... Or both.

Yes the sun does mess with the Chony brand more than better units as the sensors are high up and get more sun. My first chrono was a Chrony Beta and noticed it and ended up selling it and upgrading. My Oehler sensor is about 1.5" down into the sensor body so it doesn't get effected by the sunlight.

Just know when you need to chrono and do it the same time or use some cardboard and build up around the sensors some.

I was starting to see some variance in velocities with my chrony and thought the same as above "ammo temp". The next time I went out I had my ammo in a cooler to prevent this, and I was seeing anywhere from 50-150 fps differences from 8 am to 2-3PM. I have since switched to the MagnetoSpeed and haven't seen the issue since. I have no idea, for sure, what caused it but from what I could "tell" it had something to do with the lighting. Take it for what it's worth!

Sunspots :)

I use the louvers. I was shooting from shade so my ammo was shaded. I mean one minute the sun is shining and I get a high velocity number. One minute later, the sun is not shining and I get a 80-100fps lower velocity - with the same load - one minute later.

It's gotta be the sun/shade thing from one minute to the next.

Nothing would surprise me about the "features" of the Shooting Chrony line....they're one of the most frustrating bits of kit I've ever owned.
I sold mine and purchased the first gen Magnetospeed....and, the second gen upgraded pickup unit. Other than Magnetospeed's indifference to early adopters and a crap design on the earlier clamping systems, the units have delivered repeatability and are way easier to use than any chronograph I've ever used.

Last edited:
I hate the Shooting Chrony's. They are absolute piles of ass. Get rid of it and spend the bigger money. I was out shooting and using mine, it says "2777, 2777, 2782, 1197, 1254..." and no, the bullets did not just roll out of the barrel and drop on the ground.

I believe Magnetospeed has folks' attention.