• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Is it okay to use the same bolt carrier group on a new barrel?

maukings

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2017
I have a bcg I have shot a couple hundred rounds through. I want to swap barrels. Can I use the same bcg? I was considering getting a new one in nickle boron.

I was asking this exact same question to a couple buddies today. I am in the same position. What is the consensus hiders?

The general consensus a long time ago was that the carrier and extension wear on each other, and two extensions wearing on one carrier could cause issues.

that said, both bolts and extensions are better than ever. I would and do run both barrels in my switchbarrel gun without issue.

You should be fine either way. 200 or so rounds, it's still pretty much new.
My brother went thru a nickel boron phase, and had some older Colt BCGs nickel boron treated at WMD. These were the older Sporter BCGs that were sliced in the rear to make full auto fire impossible with them. WMD does a fine job, but the treated bolt didn't work anymore in the Colt Sporter it was built with. The bolt lugs were too big with the treatment and wouldn't always go fully into battery. My buddy at the range that day had a Sharps Nickel Boron BCG and let me try it, and it worked fine. I like NB treated a lot too, but I'm also happy with nitrided or phosphated carriers.
What is your existing BCG and which BCG do you want?

Scott

I have a basic phosphate aero. Just wanted to get the BA nickle boron. I could keep the bolt carried and just get a new bolt to be safe then, correct?

Buy a barrel with a matching bolt, double check headspace, run it. Keep an eye out for any abnormal wear after the first few shooting sessions, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are going for precision, any extra slop could cost you potential though.

Ok i went with ballistic 18 premium heavy barrel and matching ballistic bcg in nickel boron

Competition guys upgrade BCG's all the time without changing their barrel/extension. Unless you have 10,000 plus rounds on your original components, then nothing should be so worn that it makes any difference. If you're that concerned, then pick up some head-space gauges and rest easy.

I have a bcg I have shot a couple hundred rounds through. I want to swap barrels. Can I use the same bcg? I was considering getting a new one in nickle boron.

Are you talking about an ar15? If so, then yeah it should be no problem.

bolt action rifles, I'd be more hesitant and double check head spacing at the minimum.

I change barrels about every 3000 rounds, and use the same bolt several times. Yes, I could be more concerned over the head space. But the fired cases always seem to be the same.

AR15's you dont have much to worry about. I have a Forster GO/NG gauge set to check headspace and never found a AR15 BCG/Barrel combo out of spec to date. AR10's in 6.5cm or 260rem I wouldnt dare. I always have my bolt headspaced to my barrel in 6.5cm.

I used to worry about the headspacing on AR15 because of all talk on other forums about it, but like Padom, I have not found one that wasn't in spec. Therefore, I don't sweat ar15s in 5.56. I do check head spacing on all large frame ARs.

I have only one lower, which I use interchangeably with three uppers I have bought/built. When I obtain/produce an upper, I include its own dedicated BCG with each upper, so issues of this sort never arise. I think it's well worth the additional investment.

Since I now have another shooter in the household, it's probably time to obtain another lower. When I do, I'll be building another 24' bull upper for Varmint/Target shooting alongside my Granddaughter.

The other two existing uppers are 16", one a bull barrel with a BDC scope, and the other a lightweight run/gun with a Vortex SPARC.

Greg

Last edited: