• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it really worth me moving to Illinois for work?

I Am Hero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
So my company operates all around the Great Lakes Region and this morning I was called by our CEO and offered a new position out of our IL branch. I currently live and work out of one of our Michigan branches and I am quite happy there. This new job would be about a 25-30% raise from my current salary, but this is where the problem comes in:

1) My fiance' has 4 years of college down and 1 left.
2) I have several guns and ammunition in my safe that are illegal in IL (338 solids, probably some surplus steel core 7.62 ammo, etc)
3) My entire immediate family lives in Michigan.
4) Illinois gun laws are ridiculous

Is this the point at which money is not worth it? I already passed up a position in Ohio earlier this year which I would have been much more inclined to do (closer and much better gun laws). I have a Michigan CPL which is one of the best licenses to have (most states recognize and accept it, IL does not). I would have a bunch of guns, ammo, and reloading gear that I would have to sell. Shooting and hunting is one of my favorite hobbies but should that really stand in the way of my career?

I would choose to live probably about 1.5 hours south of southern Chicago and for about a year by myself (until she graduated and we are married). Off the bat I am inclined to say no, but as I look at potential growth in my company I don't foresee many other options in the near future (5 years maybe).

Illinois gun laws differ slightly from Chicago gun laws, you may be fine if you live out of the city. Personally you couldn't pay me enough to move from grand rapids, unless it was further north, traverse or petoskey.

Stay where your happy. If their willing to pay you more somewhere else they will eventually do so where your at as well.

Yea Adam that is part of my problem. I live just north of town and it is really hard to convince me to get out of here unless you were putting me along the west coast lake shore somewhere. I make plenty enough to get by and support my hobbies, but this new position is something I have been eyeing for a while. I was just hoping it would open up in MI.

Is the city along the eastern border of Illinois? The laws out of Chicago are only medium shitty. Pm me if you want I have lived here all my life.

R

I've lived here my whole life. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Cook county. Most of the rest of the state I like. The people are friendly for the most part, and pretty laid back. You aren't far enough from MI that you can't go back and visit or hunt. I don't know what your financial situation is but 25-30% is a bunch of money. If you are starting out or in the middle of your earning years then follow the money.

I'd never heard of 338 cal solids or steel core ammo being illegal here?

Nobody is on their death bed saying, I wish I worked more!

As you get older, and it appears you're young, money and material things aren't as important as happiness and quality of life which is in part, where you live. I'm in Colorado and wouldn't move to California or the east coast for $1 Million bucks! It sounds like you're a good employee, maybe you should look around a bit and see if there are other companies in your field as they might give you more money. Again, I know when young and getting started, money is a big big deal but trust me, it's not everything!

I lived there 57 years and left in 2012 because of taxes and politics. Chicago gets what they want and the rest of the state has to live with it. They just got CCW and there is a lot of outdoor activity if you stay south of Shit Town. If this may be a short term career move and you can deal with stupid gun laws, go for it. If it will be a long term position, I would move on to something else. With their current financial position taxes will continue to climb. I don't think you will need to dump your 338 and reloading gear.

25-30% is pretty big most likely. Those sort of increases don't come everyday. Where exactly in IL?
I haven't lived in IL but I visit atleast once a year. When I lived in Lansing we went to central IL every few months it's not much of a drive at all.
Now if you're looking for a place to settle and not move again it might not be so hot, but a few years and some extra income to put away or invest so you can retire where you want might be nice.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

If the cost of living is the same for both, take the raise and make the move. If the girlfriend and you can't handle being apart for a year while she finishes school and you work on your promotion the relationship is not very solid to begin with and you may have other issues later when she finishes school and is possibly offered a job in a diffrent location. If the relationship is looking like a life time thing, make it work. I grew up in Wyoming...great gun laws...now live in Southern California....bad gun laws but you make adjustments and roll with it. Sounds like you want to stay and you are looking for others to agree with what you want to do but if you have already turned down one opportunity and then you turn down another, don't get butt hurt if they stop offereing. 30 percent raise (if the cost of living is the same) is a big deal and may open up other opportunities later.

1) My fiance' has 4 years of college down and 1 left - have her stay in school, you make the move, earn more money, get a better place to live and plan a better life together.
2) I have several guns and ammunition in my safe that are illegal in IL (338 solids, probably some surplus steel core 7.62 ammo, etc) - leave a safe at the parents or friends place and leave behind what you want to keep and sell the rest.
3) My entire immediate family lives in Michigan - put on your big boy pants and take the job, you can always go home for the holidays and other occasions
4) Illinois gun laws are ridiculous - so are many other states and its getting worse all across the country. Having guns is nice but reality of making money, providing for a family and making a better life for you and your family will pay more long term divdends than a specific gun in your safe that may be illegal in other states. JMHO, now I am sure to get blasted so let the games begin....

"Boss, you have the confidence in me to have offered two different jobs, at a substantial increase.
I really don't want to relocate from here, but perhaps there is something I could be doing here to make me more valuable
to the company, right here in place."

It's worth a shot. After passing up two promotions, he may consider getting someone a little more responsive to the offer.
IN some industries, career employees don't get promotions in-situ, they have to move when they get into management, each time. Les Schwab Tires always moves it's Jr. managers, and a new manager never gets the shop he is working in, he has to relocate.

I've lived in IL since 1965. Cook county absolutely sucks and I wouldn't live there for any amount of money. As long as you reside elsewhere in the state, your weapons and ammo aren't a problem. There are no real restrictions of any kind, other than the fact that you would need to apply for a FOID card. The pay increase that you mentioned sounds fairly significant, so I think you could tough it out here for a few years.

Illinois gun laws differ slightly from Chicago gun laws, you may be fine if you live out of the city. Personally you couldn't pay me enough to move from grand rapids, unless it was further north, traverse or petoskey.

You hit the nail on the head Adam! 25% may seem like a good chunk of change now, but once your better half graduates, your combined income should see a pretty healthy increase. The West Michigan job market is growing rapidly, and housing prices are low compared to many states.