• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Is it worth bedding a base that fits nearly perfectly?

AN22

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2019
Tennessee
I picked up a Badger Ord steel base for my Remignton 700P. I was anticipating having to do some JB Weld bedding on the rear of the base, as most 700s seem to need. To my surprise, the fit appears to be just about perfect.

With the front two screws snugged down finger tight, I can't even get a .0015 feeler gauge to begin to enter the rear side of the base. Trying to slide a piece of paper under it from the chamber side, it only makes it in slightly, binding up well before the screw hole. Snugging down only the rear screws gives equal results on the front.

I'm tempted to just follow the Badger directions and use only a thin coat of loctite (subbing in blue instead of red in case I want to remove this ever) and torque down it appropriately.

Thoughts?

Decided to just go for it, and ended up mounting it tonight. Looks good to me. Guess I got lucky on the fit.