• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is my rifle Remington 700PSS in Accuracy Int'l 1.0

long range fire

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2008
WA, USA
I just got a new rifle. It's a .308 Remington 700 PSS on AICS 1.0 stock, and Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tactical scope. Do you have more info on whether this combination would make it a good medium range rifle? I'm wondering if it's enough glass for the gun, or maybe I can use a cheaper scope since I'm not shooting 600yd+ range?

My curiosity rose because the action doesn't say Remington 700 PSS or Police or anything. It's just straight "Remington 700". Is it suppose to have "PSS" or some type of markings on it? It also comes with factory fluted 26" barrel, 3 flutes, is that enough of a telltale sign of the PSS? Is the PSS a better or comparable action to the current Rem700 SPS Tactical?

The stock system itself feels very comfortable, but there are no markings. I was expecting AICS or something molded into the sides as identification. I'm pretty sure it is AICS 1.0 since it looks just like what I've seen in photos. How much does the AICS 1.0 improve on the original stock? At $800 price tag, I am a bit hesitant to using the stock since that it costs more than the 700 itself!
shocked.gif
crazy.gif

It also has Harris LM bipod mounted on AICS. Would Parker-Hale type more preferred setup for AICS? I'm new to bolt action rifles and rifle scopes in general, and I'd appreciate any info, thanks!

rem700pssai1.jpg

rem700pssai2.jpg

Re: Is my rifle Remington 700PSS in Accuracy Int'l 1.0

It's a fine setup as is, it'll work well for you.

The 1.0 isn't an $800 stock, the 1.5 is. It's probably worth $650, but no matter, just use it.

You have a unique rifle there. Not many PSS rifles with that fluting, that fluting was reserved mostly for the 20" LTR barrels. The actions are all the same, no different, nothing special.

The scope is a very functional tactical scope, no need to change it if you're new to bolt rifles. Just go buy some quality ammo, not the cheapest stuff you can find, then shoot the heck out of it.

OH...and a guy named BOLTRIPPER called me, he wanted me to ask you to fill out your profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a fine setup as is, it'll work well for you.

Just go buy some quality ammo, not the cheapest stuff you can find, then shoot the heck out of it. </div></div>

+1 Jason is exactly right, shoot it and enjoy it. You have a very good setup all you need now is trigger time on that rifle.

Good luck,
Oneshot

Very nice gun to start with. I have heard very good things about the scope. Make sure that the gun is torqued to the right inch pounds. Remington should be able to handle 60 inch pounds. The action is simple and good. The barrel can be a number of things, but yours is one of the better ones. The gun should be able to shoot as good as anything out there. Trust me I have almost one of everything.

Looks like a great first rifle to me.

The UK AI distributor says on his website that if you need more accuracy than a 700 in an AICS the only way to go is to a full AI rifle!

Can't be a bad endorsement........

I believe your barrelled action is from the 700 XCR Tactical Long Range rifle. Similar to the LTR but with a 26" barrel, 40-X trigger, and Black TriNyte® Corrosion Control System coating. That is the only Remington rifle I have seen with that fluting style in a 26" length.

its gonna be a mess......better just send it to me for proper disposal....

seriously, its an excellent rig period. for a beginner, its very nice. The PSS action is no different than any other 700 action except for the finish and the aren't marked. As mentioned above, you might have an XCR instead but, either way, it should shoot. IF the AICS stock is comfortable for you then you may never need to upgrade stocks. ammo, ammo ammo is all you need now. Burn the barrel out and that rifle will have taught you some stuff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ker2222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...ammo, ammo ammo is all you need now. Burn the barrel out and that rifle will have taught you some stuff</div></div>

+1

I also am depressed to see that you have such a horrible setup. I will offer you 100.00 for the setup and 100.00 for your pain and suffering.

Sweet Stick

Thanks for the input. The rifle seems to be a great piece of precision work. I just wasn't sure about the model since it didn't say anything. I'd think Remington would mark their products more clear.

Aren't the Remington 700 XCR rifles made with stainless steel? I can't tell if this is stainless. It doesn't look it, maybe they just coated the metal too well. The fluting is very well done and definitely at factory since the barrel marks are into the fluting itself.

I checked the barrel and action with magnet, it'll stick. So it looks like they're not Stainless steel. Any suggestions what it could be? I read on Remington's site that 700 XCR Tactical Long Range is Stainless.

This rifle has the LTR type 3 flute barrel, but the barrel is 26" instead of 20". Did Remington do LTR type fluting, but with 26" barrel? Thanks.

Nice rifle, You lucky Private, the barreled action is a XCR Long Range Tactical. Its not shown on Remington website due to its a dealer exclusive. However, it is shown in the 2009 cataloge. Barrel twist is 1:12 and in carbon steel, as is the reciever. The scope I personally would keep with the rifle, you can use it in any situation. Ammo try some Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain, see how it shoots.

The XCR Long range Tactical is 416 stainless steel with a 40-X trigger. http://www.remington.com/products/firear..._long_range.asp If that rifle is carbon steel with a phosphate finish,then it's an older un-cataloged 700P that Remington came out with several years ago. I bought one in June of 2003.The stock number that was on the receipt shows 128627.No longer have it. It had a 26" barrel and the LTR style fluting that is being used in the XCR series rifles as well. It came with an older pre-X-Mark pro type trigger. The rifle was carbon steel,not stainless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put a magnet on the barrel. </div></div>

Magnets will stick to ALOT of different grades of SS--including a lot of SS rifle barrels. IIRC it depends upon how much nickel is in the alloy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put a magnet on the barrel. </div></div>

Magnets will stick to ALOT of different grades of SS--including a lot of SS rifle barrels. IIRC it depends upon how much nickel is in the alloy. </div></div>

I was about to say that. Magnets will stick to ALL my stainless guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The XCR Long range Tactical is 416 stainless steel with a 40-X trigger. http://www.remington.com/products/firear..._long_range.asp If that rifle is carbon steel with a phosphate finish,then it's an older un-cataloged 700P that Remington came out with several years ago. I bought one in June of 2003.The stock number that was on the receipt shows 128627.No longer have it. It had a 26" barrel and the LTR style fluting that is being used in the XCR series rifles as well. It came with an older pre-X-Mark pro type trigger. The rifle was carbon steel,not stainless. </div></div>

I think you hit it on the head. I've never seen the TriNyte coating so I'm not sure whether this is TriNyte or not. The finish appears to be the phosphate finish, but somewhat shinier than I've seen on regular park. The original owner is adamant that it's a 700PSS, so this may be what it was known as back then.

Is the "pre-X-mark pro type" trigger any good? It feels very good but I don't have a trigger pull scale to measure. Is the trigger adjustable at all?

LRF I have owned a Remington 700 PSS with a Factory Fluted 24" barrel on it so it is quite possible that it is a PSS just a special run of them

Very nice.

If the trigger feels good to you, its just fine.

I'm with jasonk, that is a fine setup to begin playing with. Get some good ammo and shoot the heck out of it. If new to LR precision shooting, read up-there's plenty of great info here.

The online training would be a grea start to get you going with good habits.

Well I checked in the basement and I still have the box my old rifle came in. The tag on the end of the box has it labeled "Model 700 Police" The correct order number is 26181. There is a bright yellow sticker placed over the regular tag that says "Special Edition". The gun had the regular parkerized/phosphate finish that are on most 700P rifles. I have handled only one XCR and the Trinyte finish was a much smoother,better looking finish than on the Police models. The XCR's trigger is the older 40-X externally adjustable trigger which has a small slotted screw adjustment for weight of pull just in front of the trigger. The Special Edition Police model had the standard trigger that is now being replaced by the X-Mark Pro™ Adjustable trigger. The older standard trigger is adjustable for weight of pull,sear engagement,and over travel. If it feels fine to you,leave it alone and enjoy the rifle.