• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Optics Planet a Complete Scam?

While it could be argued that the point of these laws is to make it sufficiently painful for all parties that ammunition sources dry up, I don’t fault any online ammo business for looking at CA, MA, NJ, etc and saying “Naw dog, we’re good.”
There's no law in my state that prohibits online purchasing of ammunition where I live.

Two things- EuroOptic is the bomb, great place and their people have always been very nice to me.

I also got OpticsPlanet'd on an order that they didn't actually have. I believe it was a Viridian T5L-RS for my Saiga-12... the price was the lowest price on the internet and there was some discount code and free shipping so I was getting a really good deal.

Took months to get.

It wasn't the end of the world, because it's not like it was some critical part or something preventing me from doing something else, but sucks having your $300 in the wind. I would be *especially* ticked if I am ordering some $5K S&B PM-II and "Oh yeah out of stock, sorry-not-sorry..."

It took 4 months to finally get my ammo order (SK Rifle Match .22LR) that was originally ordered in Apr2022. Initially the order was supposed to be shipped in 10 working days. I don't think they actually had possession of the ammo I ordered, but this is guessing. They split the order in half, and the first shipment was received in seven to nine weeks, with the rest of the order received at my house on 2Aug2022. They kept telling me the order was in "progress" and I received several shipping notices that got cancelled about two days prior to stated delivery. Hope someone benefits from this experience. Stay away from Optics Planet if your purchasing ammo, don't know about other stuff.

I ordered a grip a month or so ago and it shipped immediately and arrived within the shipping time frame. For ammo I use bulk ammo, SG ammo, ammo empire (SG sister store), or other ammo retailers.

I called them to verify an item they said was in stock actually was in stock after being told it was I ordered the item later got an email that it would be 6 months of a wait I gave the the benefit Id get that item in 6 months after 8 months and trying to call I called my cc company to stop payment they did and got me back my money don't get mad just know shit happens Had almost the same thing happen at 8 online stores since that shit happens just cancel your order and get your money back yea you will loose interest on your money but that should be all . Best of luck on future purchases .

I've ordered a few things from Optics Planet with no shipping hassles. But, if the description states "usually ships within...," stay far FAR away. That is code for "we don't have it physically in hand, but think we can source it from, somewhere..."

Brownells is my first choice for stuff. Had to use OP for the grip because Brownells didn't have it. Its just sadly the times we live in with COVID, labor shortages, supply chain issues, people not wanting to work hoping for more free money from the govt, etc.

Reactions: White Death
I ordered a Wilson combat upper, good deal, however, it took nearly four months. I didn’t have much better luck with DVOR! I’d rather order from Euro optics.

There is a projected lead time on everything. Says "estimated to ship within". I have found it to be roughly accurate. Some things quicker and some a little bit behind. Anything that says in stock has always shipped quickly for me. I think I've only had 2 orders out of a lot that went well passed the eta. One was a kac product. The other was 1.5 months behind on a 2-3 month projected during covid.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Definitely not a scam. I've ordered probably a dozen or more times and never had a problem. Their prices are hard to beat. But like was mentioned previously, if it doesn't say "in stock" I don't even bother and look elsewhere.

Definitely not a scam. I've ordered probably a dozen or more times and never had a problem. Their prices are hard to beat. But like was mentioned previously, if it doesn't say "in stock" I don't even bother and look elsewhere.
This is dead on accurate 👆

Yep, not a scam, just bad shipping/stocking practices.

A lot of people may not know that in many industries (like the automotive manufacturing industry - my area of expertise) operate now on "just in time delivery" practices, which means they don't stock parts in a warehouse, the parts are delivered from a vendor on (ideally) the day they are needed. This isn't new, it's been going on for 20 years or so, but it's a big shift from the way things used to be where parts were held in stock in a warehouse on site until needed.

The point of this is that Optics Planet is attempting the same practices, and often failing miserably at it. I've noticed a number of other companies starting to do this in the gun industry as well; it saves them from paying for storage space for inventory, but overall it's a bad trend for us as consumers. If you have an opportunity to make your voice heard about this, it's worth stepping up and saying something. Places like Brownells and Midway who actually stock the parts they say they have deserve our business more than those making promises they can't back up, like Optics Planet.

I will say though that I've had good luck with Dvor, even though it's the sister company to OP. My success with them may be because I only ever buy their stuff when it's on sale, clearance, etc, which generally means they actually have it in stock and want to get rid of it.

there is a button to check stock status, if it says it's in stock and then you order and it isn't there is also a button to cancel the order. pretty simple and they are easy to deal with IMO. I've been ordering from OP for over a decade with no issues. So much so if I order something I don't want/need after I get it, free shipping on returns if you get a store credit. Can't beat that.........

A few weeks ago I placed an order with Optics Planet. It showed in stock. Received confirmation then nothing.

I tried calling but only got a recording and menu with no option to talk to a person. I tried emailing but it bounces back. I paid via PP and money has left account.
Are others having this problem?

Thanks,

RTH
A few weeks ago I placed an order with Optics Planet. It showed in stock. Received confirmation then nothing.

I tried calling but only got a recording and menu with no option to talk to a person. I tried emailing but it bounces back. I paid via PP and money has left account.

Thanks,

RTH
Even today Oct 7th 2022, I am having "fulfillment" issues. There are major struggles with most online retailers trying to receive/ship out orders.
I canceled an order with 5D Tactical.com whom I've done business with before.
No updates for over 30 days whatsoever.
Items listed in stock instantly changed to "awaiting fulfillment " and never changed, no updates, tracking, or responses.
Banks and Ebay will usually honor a customers refund request up to 30-60 days.
I finally got an email from them asking about the refund request. Now it's my turn to have them wait for a 10 second response. Revenge is sweet. Rather spend the money locally anyway, no shipping fees in excess of the items cost.

Yep, not a scam, just bad shipping/stocking practices.

A lot of people may not know that in many industries (like the automotive manufacturing industry - my area of expertise) operate now on "just in time delivery" practices, which means they don't stock parts in a warehouse, the parts are delivered from a vendor on (ideally) the day they are needed. This isn't new, it's been going on for 20 years or so, but it's a big shift from the way things used to be where parts were held in stock in a warehouse on site until needed.

The point of this is that Optics Planet is attempting the same practices, and often failing miserably at it. I've noticed a number of other companies starting to do this in the gun industry as well; it saves them from paying for storage space for inventory, but overall it's a bad trend for us as consumers. If you have an opportunity to make your voice heard about this, it's worth stepping up and saying something. Places like Brownells and Midway who actually stock the parts they say they have deserve our business more than those making promises they can't back up, like Optics Planet.

I will say though that I've had good luck with Dvor, even though it's the sister company to OP. My success with them may be because I only ever buy their stuff when it's on sale, clearance, etc, which generally means they actually have it in stock and want to get rid of it.
I actually have cancelled more orders through OP than have received. About to do it again. Make sure you get your refund.

Even today Oct 7th 2022, I am having "fulfillment" issues. There are major struggles with most online retailers trying to receive/ship out orders.
I canceled an order with 5D Tactical.com whom I've done business with before.
No updates for over 30 days whatsoever.
Items listed in stock instantly changed to "awaiting fulfillment " and never changed, no updates, tracking, or responses.
Banks and Ebay will usually honor a customers refund request up to 30-60 days.
I finally got an email from them asking about the refund request. Now it's my turn to have them wait for a 10 second response. Revenge is sweet. Rather spend the money locally anyway, no shipping fees in excess of the items cost.
Isn’t funny how when you do a charge back now all of a sudden they will communicate with you…..lol

I occasionally get charmed into the free shipping and a sale price. I'll order 4 or 5 items, then have them arrive at 3 or 4 different times (from a few day to a few months).
I think they drop-ship many items, if not all. But boxes are consistently packaged. FAB Gadus grips are the worst to wait for, pretty sure they come from Russia.
But I've always received everything. Not the place to buy when you need it "tomorrow", and pay attention, they sell on GB and I think eBay. I've accidentally purchased from them before (pretty sure a gradus grip, my fav, have them on just about everything)

OP ordering guidelines:

1. Order only what is in stock immediately
2. Keep orders to that SKU only

Yeah I've never had a problem when doing this with optics planet/dvor. Hell I usually get my stuff pretty quickly as well.

Even back orders I usually get close to their eta window. Sometimes well before, but there have been others that went way past. They make it very easy to cancel orders though.

Reactions: Simonsza1

Thanks,

RTH

OpticsPlanet offers a wide variety of brands and items for tactical gear, whether you're a professional or a hobbyist. The warehouse in Illinois has the majority of the merchandise in stock and ready to go.

If I use OP I call to verify that the item is actually in stock and ready to ship. I ask the person on the phone exactly when it will ship. Only way I will use OP I have had to many “opps we thought we had it in stock after we already charged your CC. Fuck that there is no excuse for not having real time inventory management today.

OpticsPlanet offers a wide variety of brands and items for tactical gear, whether you're a professional or a hobbyist. The warehouse in Illinois has the majority of the merchandise in stock and ready to go.
OpticsHandjobs Inc. is celebrating 20 Years of Gear as your Destination for Gear. In our commitment to offer a wide selection of products for all of your outdoor and tactical needs, you can get optics, gun parts, shooting accessories, ammunition, hunting and outdoor gear, apparel and footwear, and exclusive products you'll only find with us.

Just figured it out. Accidentally ended up on OP site. The SPIN TO WIN dial came up. If you win you get your order. 😂

I was disappointed too many times by OP. After ordering when stuff was supposed to be "in stock", then that being wrong information, then 60 days later being told some of my stuff is on backorder forever, I gave up. This happened a few different times. I never "lost" any funds or products. It just wasn't ever going to be shipped and I cancelled my order. I evidently keep ordering "fringe" stuff that the sources keep drying up on? But I will say they certainly did not fight me on refunding the money. I give them proper credit for that. Their business model where somebody else has to drop-ship everything to the customer and OP has to rely on somebody else's inventory count just doesn't work for me.

I will pay slightly more for an item that I am reasonably sure will be shipped to me within the next week, vs hoping it shows up eventually.

Reactions: RTH1800