• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is single stage press the way to go for precision?

Brandon7766

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Going to buy a reloading setup, ive been told today that single stage is the way to go....looking for some other opinions.

Re: Is single stage press the way to go for precision?

Thats what I have. It's RCBS. I also use a redding beam scale. And roll them one at.a time. My es is 14. I can get sub moa groups at 1k

Single stage. I got a Redding T-7 a while back, and am really enjoying that.

Lyman press and RCBS Chargemaster. Just got the Chargemaster and love it! It so cool it is like cheating. Dillon for pistol and revolver. Tried Dillon for rifle and it sucked!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lyman press and RCBS Chargemaster. Just got the Chargemaster and love it! It so cool it is like cheating. Dillon for pistol and revolver. Tried Dillon for rifle and it sucked!! </div></div>

Dillon rocks for both pistol and rifle. I love how versatile my 550B is. I can use it as a high-volume reloader with the powder measure or as a single stage type press for precision reloading.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Buy the Dillon, you won't regret it. PM if you'd like to know how to very effectively run a Dillon like a single stage press. </span>

Powder Measure Toolhead with Micrometer for high volume reloading.
Dillon550BClosetSpace.jpg

Toolhead setup for Sigle-Stage type precision reloading.
Dillon550BClosetSpace3.jpg

I like to be in total control of each step, including what the press does....single stage here.

That Hornady lock and load progressive press seems impressive on volume...figured I would need different for a precision rifle.

Thanks for the imput, single stage it is.

Dillon tested accuracy years ago-- single stage vs. progressive.
It was essentially the same with a very slight edge to progressive in that test, IIRC.
And, no, they weren't trying to just promote their press. They wanted to know and then reported it.

Most of the time a single stage press will allow you to produce the best ammo you can if you use good dies. I use a match seater on my Dillon XL650 when I load on it. I can turn out some pretty good ammo on it but when I am producing ammo for long range it is all single stage loaded.

I have a Redding T-7. It works very well for my 308 precision ammo.

I use a Forster Co-Ax for my precision loads. I also have a Dillon RL550B, but it is used for pistol and plinking ammo.

Forster Co-Ax gets my vote as the dies are free floating so case runout is spot on.

me too - co-ax for rifle work and dillon for pistol.

i trim rifle cases on each reloading for max consistency.

and i weigh each rifle charge. i find the dillon power drop works great with ball power, ok with flake, and not so well with stick power. my long range loads all use stick powder so using the dillon doesn't work for me.

Forster Co-ax press with Forster Ultra Bullet seating die and Lee collet neck sizing dies = accurate ammo. I use a RCBS Chargemaster to speed dropping powder charges.

I went to a Dillon for both rifle and pistol. Nothing against single stage, my approach was to do what I could to stay behind the trigger more. I gave my single stage stuff to a family member and he in turn, went to a Dillon also after a very short time.

My vote is for a progressive. Papa looks to be doing exactly the same thing as I and I agree, it rocks!!!

If it's your first reloading setup, I would definitely go with single stage. As mentioned above, you can control every step and also get a 'feel' for what you are doing with each step.

I still use the same $29 Bonanza press I bought in high school. Countless rounds loaded on it, though I bought a big Lee press a few years ago for .50 BMG, the Bonanza just keeps working.

I would rather invest in the best dies.

For those shooting a lot of rounds, especially pistol rounds, my friends who have Dillons swear by them and they are pretty slick. But even they all have single stage presses for load development and short runs. So you will have a single stage one way or another.

But to start... go with good single stage (RCBS Rock Chucker is a great one) and work your way up.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS There is a lot of good info in the Reloading area of the forum including an outstanding Primer.

This is where I'm a bit of a hypocrite.

I load all my bolt stuff on a single stage, but will quickly say that a Dillon can reload just as accurately IMHO. My Dillon powder measure throws +/- 0.1 grains and that's plenty accurate. If I recall, the Palma Team loads (or loaded) on a XL650 and I know of a couple of top tier shooters that load on 550's.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon7766</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That Hornady lock and load progressive press seems impressive on volume...figured I would need different for a precision rifle.

Thanks for the imput, single stage it is.

</div></div>

I have a LNL progressive press as well. You can still use it as a single stage press as well. I previously thought that a single staged press was more precise, but I measured concentricity etc and there is not an appreciable different to me. I found more variation with what die I use then which press.

I reload my precision stuff on a single stage Lee Classic Cast and it's durable and good quality and affordable. Sure they're more of a budget brand but I've made some outstanding loads with this press and Lee dies. Good loads don't have to be made with all the high tech reloading stuff. I'm using the most basic stuff it just takes a LOT longer.

My question would be with powders. With a progressive press how is it with extruded powders? With my Redding powder measure I get a big variance from some of the longer stick powders. Is one limited to finer grain powder?

Consistent accuracy = Forster Co-Ax all day. self centering bottom plate and floating die upper, as mentioned above. plus, it will probably outlast you. best of luck.

I use the lee turret press. Works awesome and can be used as a single stage if you want but there is really no need. Turns out great ammo with extreme fast caliber changes. I did a lot of research before buying and this setup works great and won't break the bank.

I still use my rock chucker after 20 years it still works like new. Would like to have one of the big dillon presses that do everything but wipe my butt. I just cant replace it and feel good about it.I like to load every round one at a time and think about only that round right then. But I also only load for rifles I shoot at distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon7766</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... ive been told today that single stage is the way to go....looking for some other opinions. </div></div>Dillon 1050 set up for .308.

If benchrest shooting is the most precise anal compulsive OCD pattern of acc reloading for accurate groups...why do they not use anything but a single stage press?
It would depend on how many rounds are shot per session and what U consider accurate?
One can guild the lilly and have an assymtotic approach to perfection. How much is good enough... kinda' depends on the discipline and goal of the shooter.

you dont nessessaryly need a single stage for presision but if you have a progressive you will need to wiegh each charge makeing it alot slower but still faster than a single stage.

i use a forster for precision and a dillon for speed

I use a single stage for precision ammo & a progressive for pistol or any other firearm thats not wearing some sort of optic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you dont nessessaryly need a single stage for presision but if you have a progressive you will need to wiegh each charge makeing it alot slower but still faster than a single stage.

i use a forster for precision and a dillon for speed </div></div>Agreed, except for the part about weighing powder.

Question: How much powder variation, in tenths of a grain, is offset by a change in barrel temperature?

Cut my teeth on a RCBS Rockchucker single stage. Found that I spent a lot of time readusting dies (to minimize run out, etc.), so went to both the Harrel's (.308 length and shorter) and Redding T-7 for 30-06 to .338 LM. Both presses allow me to set up my dies, and then select the die that I need. Saves a ton of time in set-up. Also, both allow one to purchase extra heads. Switching out heads is easy, and concentricity is maintained.

I still have the Rock Chucker I bought in '81. It's got a Piggy Back unit on it for progressive pistol loading. I've got another RC I use for any f-l resizing and for other heavy chores, and a Harrell turret for the light stuff. When I'm really feeling anal, I use Wilson seating dies with an arbor press from Sinclair.

I admit I fell in with the 'slower is better' crowd a long time ago, but I've been tempted to get a progressive for the blasting ammo. Between lubing and case prep preferences, any press I got would really be just a two-station rig - powder charging and seating. All it would save me is one pull on the handle per round. And if I wanted to use a stick powder, I'd sure want to do that separately, too.

I load for precision...ONE at time !! I'm not looking for speed or the easist way!I also use the old lee classic,made here in the U.S.A.The proof of good reloads..after your recipe of powder and ect.is the run out.Any thing with more than .001 run out is NOT precision ammo,MHO ...my 2cents
smile.gif

The Lee classic cast presses (Turret and Single Stage) along with standard ole Lee dies produced great results for me thus far. I enjoy reloading so I dont want to speed the process up too much!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lyman press and RCBS Chargemaster. Just got the Chargemaster and love it! It so cool it is like cheating. Dillon for pistol and revolver. Tried Dillon for rifle and it sucked!! </div></div>

Dillon rocks for both pistol and rifle. I love how versatile my 550B is. I can use it as a high-volume reloader with the powder measure or as a single stage type press for precision reloading.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Buy the Dillon, you won't regret it. PM if you'd like to know how to very effectively run a Dillon like a single stage press. </span>

</div></div>

Hey that is a closet! Nice

Look at the 550B, you can load one at a time/run one round thru from end to end and not have to adjust/change dies like a single stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lyman press and RCBS Chargemaster. Just got the Chargemaster and love it! It so cool it is like cheating. Dillon for pistol and revolver. Tried Dillon for rifle and it sucked!! </div></div>

</div></div>

what type of toolhead are you using?

Not mine but looks like the Whidden/Uniquetek toolhead with the floating Forster rings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you dont nessessaryly need a single stage for presision but if you have a progressive you will need to wiegh each charge makeing it alot slower but still faster than a single stage.

i use a forster for precision and a dillon for speed </div></div>

People just don't understand that the Dillon, at least the 550 since I don't have experience with the other models, can be used for precision as well. It is a very, very versatile machine. Now for speed, well you don't have to be a sprinter type reloader, you can still take a very slow and methodical approach to loading one round at a time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: megarush</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not mine but looks like the Whidden/Uniquetek toolhead with the floating Forster rings </div></div>

Correct. UniqueTek sells the toolhead kit.

for a beginner like myself i use a single stage for rifle ( rock chucker) and for pistol a lee turret, slow but being safe is a hole lot better then blowing your face off!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon7766</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to buy a reloading setup, ive been told today that single stage is the way to go....looking for some other opinions. </div></div>

FYI there is a whole forum related to reloading. Tons of great info there for beginners. I am about to pull the trigger on some reloading equipment and I have learned a lot in the reloading forum. Check it out. Reloading forum

You should also check out this thread as a beginner. Reloading 101

You can find answers to almost any question you would have somewhere in the reloading forum.

Good luck

I have been told on several occassions a Forester Co axle single stage press is a great way to go for getting started.

i used to load all precision stuff on a single stage but i was in a hurry to load up 243 for the last shoot i did. set up the 550 w a uniquetek tool head and ammo was just as accurate same dope all the way out 1100. Im gunna keep loading on the dillon and see how it does w 7wsm

I must be doing it all wrong. 550 and 1050 Dillons for me.
This group fired with ammo loaded on my 550 in full on progressive mode. ( less than 30 seconds to load 3)Nothing done to the brass.
65x47L079group.jpg

I load my precision stuff on my Lee Breech Lock Single Stage. You can do it on a progressive, but I like doing each step by hand, one at a time. Makes me feel like I am putting something into the accuracy of the load.

Good-ol Rockchucker here with the RCBS chargemaster, just get the best dies you can for the $$. A good chamber style seating die & depending on what you are loading, a crimp die.

Dillon is a bit expensive for my blood.

once you get your system down you can make good time, even with a single stage press.
Once i get my charge set on the chargemaster, I weigh each 5th shell or so, tare the scale, drop the charge then check to make sure charge is correct.

Hell, it gives me an excuse to go hang out in the garage for a few hours & not be bothered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must be doing it all wrong. 550 and 1050 Dillons for me.
This group fired with ammo loaded on my 550 in full on progressive mode. ( less than 30 seconds to load 3)Nothing done to the brass.
65x47L079group.jpg

</div></div>

Dillon makes GREAT equipment, not knocking Dillon at all.
But, for a cheepass like myself or someone just getting into reloading, you have to admit they are pricy.

I have a forster co-ax and a dillon 650.

I hope to have a 550 and 650 soon.

The co-ax is nice but I'd rather have the 550 and dont think your losing anything by doing it on one vs the other.