• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the 6.5 Creedmoor too "perfect" of a round for a "Battle Rifle"?

OP
What most people seem to overlook is that one must consider bullet construction when hunting. The greatest bonded type bullet is not magic at 100 yards when placement is behind the shoulder and the bullet passes thru before it can expand. Whereas a soft point bullet will excel in the same scenario. When shooting bonded bullets, aim for bone and put the critter down.
I’m aware the 6.5CM is touted as magic on social media but one also must consider the combination of bullet, animal, and distance if a level of performance is expected.
This. Coming out of my troll cave for a bit there is a reason hunting ammo is usually required by State Game laws.

"Battle Rifle" is a sort of nebulous concept that gets thrown around in dick measuring contests about debates over 5.56 vs 7.62
However, the military essentially shoots ball (aka FMJ) ammo. FMJ is a bad choice for hunting (pretty shitty choice for the military too, but that's another topic). In fact many states outlaw them for hunting.

Who the hell cares what kind rifle you use.. Is my old 30-30 Lever Action a Battle Rifle? What about the K98 (german mauser), That M1 Garand, the AR-10? All of them are 'Battle Rifles' Is my FIL 300 Savage Semi-Auto a battle rifle? What's the difference between an M1A and my Uncles Rem 308? Both shoot 308. One of them used by the army, the other an old guy during deer season. In the world of hunting, shot placement, bullet type, energy all matter. Animals don't give a shit what your action is.

Every rifle round since the beginning of time has been touted as 'the next best thing'. There is no perfect round. Everything is a trade off. If you want a long range medium caliber, 6.5 Creedmoor is a good choice

Except 30-06 is perfect. Cause 'Murica

My 10/10 hand to god story: As a "Yute" learning to hunt with my uncle, I saw a deer get pegged twice by a 30-30, once by a 30-06, once by a 270, all within 200 yards. We went over to clean it and the lil bastard jumped up and made a run for it and was ended by another 270 round.

Later that week I hit a deer in the ass on the run and dropped it flat. 1 shot with a 30-30. I'd say it was my superior skill, but it was probably luck as I was 14 and shaking like an earthquake cause i actually hit something.

There is no magic bullet.

I've taken deer with 6.5 ELD-X's from 40yds to 250yds. Never had to track more than 30-40yds. Always impressive terminal damage.

I'm always wary of stories like what OP used as examples.

I have a buddy that only shoots 300 win mag. He claims his reason is because he shot a deer with a 30-06 at 50yds and it just walked off. Swears it was a kill shot.
So according to this story, we should all be questioning whether 30-06 is enough cal for whitetail in FL. LOL
You get my point.
That’s some good shooting with a 308 you would’ve only had to walk 10 yards or less at 250 yards The difference in accuracy of a 308 and a 6.5 is negligible at best but stopping power of the 308 at that distance is significantly more

Reactions: Bakwa
I’m aware the 6.5CM is touted as magic on social media but one also must consider the combination of bullet, animal, and distance if a level of performance is expected.
Along with whether the shooter is into skinny jeans, strange beard shapes, IPA's (hey, I like them too), Vegan Impossible Burgers, ferns, Bernie bumper stickers, Prius's, arugula and Antifa cos-play.

Just 'sayin. Oh wait... we are supposed to not beat up on new guys. Well... every rule has an exception ;-)

Sirhr

Reactions: Romans 13:4
download (15).jpg

I shoot 147 hornady tap out of my 6.5… no official tests but when in a sniper school back I. April my round actually cause more damage to shooting inside a vehicle than the 308… obviously I’m not going to argue which round shows more foot pounds of energy or I will loose that quickly… but shooting from 100 yards through side vehicle glass, side door panels, A and B pillars, and windshields my round did cause more destruction on the target we had inside the vehicle as well as the vehicle itself… not sure what the other guys were using in 308 but that’s my take on it..

I shoot 147 hornady tap out of my 6.5… no official tests but when in a sniper school back I. April my round actually cause more damage to shooting inside a vehicle than the 308… obviously I’m not going to argue which round shows more foot pounds of energy or I will loose that quickly… but shooting from 100 yards through side vehicle glass, side door panels, A and B pillars, and windshields my round did cause more destruction on the target we had inside the vehicle as well as the vehicle itself… not sure what the other guys were using in 308 but that’s my take on it..
837AA659-5887-494B-921D-818897D8D347.png

Along with whether the shooter is into skinny jeans, strange beard shapes, IPA's (hey, I like them too), Vegan Impossible Burgers, ferns, Bernie bumper stickers, Prius's, arugula and Antifa cos-play.

Just 'sayin. Oh wait... we are supposed to not beat up on new guys. Well... every rule has an exception ;-)

Sirhr
you forgot kale.

fuck kale.

The only thing he's ever charged was a Golden Corral.
We used to call that place "The Trough."

Fat chicks who sat on stools and they were absorbed 18" into their butts. And wait staffs who would shoot a blowgun dart into your neck from the hostess station. Not even one generation removed from the rain forest...

Sirhr

We used to call that place "The Trough."

Fat chicks who sat on stools and they were absorbed 18" into their butts. And wait staffs who would shoot a blowgun dart into your neck from the hostess station. Not even one generation removed from the rain forest...

Sirhr
my co-workers dragged me to shakeys bunch a lunch or whatever it is called.
big fat dude was sitting at the table closest to where they put the food.
he was eating crackers with a pat of butter on each one...while waiting for another plate of mojo potatoes to appear.
i think he had to wait for something like 30 pats of butter because he had to go round up the butter from the other tables. :ROFLMAO:

i swear, we actually decided that "pat of butter" was an official shakey unit of time, equal to roughly 30 seconds.

he was eating crackers with a pat of butter on each one...while waiting for another plate of mojo potatoes to appear.
i think he had to wait for something like 30 pats of butter because he had to go round up the butter from the other tables. :ROFLMAO:

i swear, we actually decided that "pat of butter" was an official shakey unit of time, equal to roughly 30 seconds.

Was it the guy already posted up thread?

1630365475170.png

That’s some good shooting with a 308 you would’ve only had to walk 10 yards or less at 250 yards The difference in accuracy of a 308 and a 6.5 is negligible at best but stopping power of the 308 at that distance is significantly more
Naw. 308 has too much recoil for me. I'd spill my kids temp double vanilla soy milk steamed carrot latte with a round like that. 6.5 [better than 300winmag] is everything I need in my soft pink hands. Don't want to fray my hair bun before yoga.

i only have a .308 lever gun and a .308 piston gun, but i don't see anything wrong with something that makes shooting easier.

like the smaller basketball in the wnba.

WTF everyone knows you can take a 6.5 Creed put it on your shoulder pointing backwards with a small mirror behind the iron
sights you can hit apples at 1760 yards in 30mph winds while masturbating and eating a burrito.

iu

Yawn...setting Boomer Fud traps on SH is like sending out the 12 yr old boy's soccer team to whoop up on the women's olympic soccer team. It ain't even a challenge.

I knew Shakey Johnson and you, sir, are no Shakey Johnson!!!

Here is some info I posted elsewhere. Might be of interest to some...

Col./Dr. Martin Fackler MD is no longer with us, but he contributed a career of information on terminal ballistics. Here are a couple of useful links (below).

THANKS!!!

I just spent a long time reading through those links [and links to links, and links to links to links - whew].

As a very rough approximation, it sounds like Fackler & MacPherson are in the "heavier" projectile camp, while Sanow & Marshall are in the "faster" projectile camp.

And according to a 1952 quote from Jack O'Connor, there were WWII studies at Princeton which came down on the side of total energy; the excerpt ends with O'Connor saying, "...the bullet has to get inside the animal... As long as the bullets gets inside, then, velocity contributes more to killing power than bullet weight... The difference in killing power between the .30/30 and the .30/06 lies in the velocity."

Reactions: TriggerJerk!
"Battle Rifle" denotes being used on humans who, by and large, are not 6'6" and 330 pounds.

Well here's a mammal which came in at 6'5" and 289 pounds.

picture-1.jpg

* There is a gunshot entrance wound of the vertex of the scalp.

* There is a gunshot entrance wound of the central forehead.

* There is a gunshot exit wound of the right jaw.

* There is a gunshot entrance wound of the upper right chest.

* There is a gunshot entrance wound of the lateral right chest.

* There is a gunshot entrance wound of the upper ventral right arm.

* There is a gunshot exit wound of the upper dorsal right arm.

* There is a gunshot entrance wound of the dorsal right forearm.

* There is a gunshot exit wound of the medial ventral right forearm.

* There is a tangential (graze) gunshot wound of the right bicep.

* There is a tangential (graze) gunshot wound near the ventral surface of the right thumb.

* There is a gunshot related defect present near the right eyelid that measures 3.0 x 1.0 cm.

picture-2.jpg

picture-3.jpg

What that tells me is that unless the mammal lowers its head, and plunges directly at you, and offers you a point-black shot at the crown of its skull, the 40 S&W is only about as effective as shooting marbles out of a child's toy slingshot.

• Wow
Reactions: sandwarrior

View attachment 7694572

* There is a tangential (graze) gunshot wound near the ventral surface of the right thumb.

* There is a gunshot related defect present near the right eyelid that measures 3.0 x 1.0 cm.

View attachment 7694573

View attachment 7694574

What that tells me is that unless the mammal lowers its head, and plunges directly at you, and offers you a point-black shot at the crown of its skull, the 40 S&W is only about as effective as shooting marbles out of a child's toy slingshot.
That wasn't a mammal like some deer or bear. That's a human who made poor choices and now multiple familiesand communities are damaged because of the circumstances, and outside influences, which surrounded that incident. I find it rather odd you chose that particular case as one to cite in this thread, on this forum, as it is an extreme outlier as far as human anthropometrics are concerned.

@sirhrmechanic how's that troll sense you have feeling now?

Last edited:
Here is some info I posted elsewhere. Might be of interest to some...

Col./Dr. Martin Fackler MD is no longer with us, but he contributed a career of information on terminal ballistics. Here are a couple of useful links (below).

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

I read through all the links involving Fackler/MacPherson [heavier rounds] versus Sanow/Marshall [faster rounds] - wow, that was a lot of links.

I also enjoyed the introductory piece, with Jack O'Connor quoting a WWII study at Princeton [Princeton emphasized the energy of the round], where O'Connor concluded that, "...the bullet has to get inside the animal... As long as the bullet gets inside, then, velocity contributes more to killing power than bullet weight... The difference in killing power between the .30/30 and the .30/06 lies in the velocity."

But I might not get a chance to read the rest of the stuff at "Rathcoombe" until tomorrow.

it is an extreme outlier as far has human anthropometrics are concerned

Maybe if you're from Munchkinland.

But the Necromancer of Katonah has approximately one million paid mercenaries like that on speed dial, hundreds of whom are capable of congregating in any particular zip code within about five minutes of the TXT message being sent out alerting them to a new opportunity to be paid to wreak havoc, mayhem, arson & murder upon the law-abiding.

Maybe if you're from Munchkinland.

But the Necromancer of Katonah has approximately one million paid mercenaries like that on speed dial, hundreds of whom are capable of congregating in any particular zip code within about five minutes of the TXT message being sent out alerting them to a new opportunity to be paid to wreak havoc, mayhem, arson & murder upon the law-abiding.
That’s a lot of words

View attachment 7694572

View attachment 7694573

View attachment 7694574

Do you know if he ever ended up dying?