• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the CCI Velocitor 22LR Ammo Worth a Hoot?

300WMAficionado

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2011
Hey guys,

Going to be shooting squirrels that are getting into the family garden. I'm shooting an Anschutz 1416D HB from about 50-75 yards away. I want quick clean kills and I don't want the projectile to leave the squirrel.

Is the CCI Velocitor just what the doctor ordered?

If non exiting was the priority, I would go the other direction myself.....something subsonic or even cb longs or something.

The Velocitor is a pretty hot .22LR round. As mentioned, go with 40gr. subs or even shorts if your chamber will take them.

Velocitors dig deep.

It will be tough to keep any 22 rimfire inside a squirrel.

Check out the CCI Quik Shok. It might be viable. A segmented 32gr bullet at 1600 fps that breaks into three pieces on impact.

Velocitor will exit every time regardless of angle at any distance inside 175 meters.

CCI's Segmented Subsonic might be a good option. This product may suit you well, provided it shoots well in your rifle. I've heard good things about it from friends.

CCI Ammunition - Product Detail

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
Winchester also has a similar round, like the HE or something if you can't find the CCI stuff. I saw some at Academy, but didn't want to pay $6 for 50

I use cb longs (same as shorts but feed better for me) for my backyard pest control. at 50 yards they stack up to easily be minute of squirrel and don't even sound like a rifle.....sound more like a fork or something hitting patio pavement......

CCI CB Longs. In an Annie they will sound less than an air rifle. Shouldn't leave the squirrel. Had to use them at work about 5 years ago on some pigeons, the boss was impressed.

Hey guys,

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. That in itself is very appreciated with everyones busy lives. I will try to get some CCI 22 CB Longs that everyone is recommending.

I wonder what it's going to sound like when that CB Long projectile hits that squirrel?

Thanks everyone :)

Am I missing something, or is the current .22 rimfire market "take what's available" ???

You are missing something. You are far more likely to find specialty ammo like CCI Longs than regular long rifle. Much fewer people use Longs than LR. Longs aren't a normal everyday shooting ammo, ie it is a special application ammo, hench what this thread is about, specialty applications.

My family's garden is about an acre in size. I think it would be impractical to construct a cinder block wall given the size of the garden.

I got the knowledge, wisdom, and skill. I'm 26 and I have been shooting since age 9. When I was in the Marines I was an 0311 and I shot rifle expert 3 times in a row. I was also in 3/2 STA for ~2 years.

I think with my experience and know how that, with a Manfrotto Tripod and the Anshchutz, I'm not going to have a problem at all when it comes to the precision needed for good shot placement on such small targets :) .

I'm glad someone else was thinking the same thing. I'm less worried about 'over penetration' and more worried about ricochet. .22s do that better than anything else, regardless of velocity. Are there friendlies down range, or just don't want 40gr seeds in your zucchini?

There is a medium size tree on the edge of the garden. I could just wait for the squirrel to get inbetween me and the tree then snuff him out?

The garden is on level land and then to the west there is a downward sloping hill that leads to a trailer park about 75 yards from the garden. To the south are my neighbors cows and the property line is about 25 yards from the garden. To the east is my mom & dad's house thats about 50 yards away. Finally, to the north is my grandma's house (50 yards), neighbors house(100 yards) , and the main road(100 yards).

Its definitely close quarters haha!

Velocitor will exit every time regardless of angle at any distance inside 175 meters.

CCI's Segmented Subsonic might be a good option. This product may suit you well, provided it shoots well in your rifle. I've heard good things about it from friends.

CCI Ammunition - Product Detail

That CCI subsonic segmented is an awesome killer and dumps most of its energy into game instead of tearing through.
I've used this on squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs and lawn lions to excellent effect.

The garden is on level land and then to the west there is a downward sloping hill that leads to a trailer park about 75 yards from the garden. To the south are my neighbors cows and the property line is about 25 yards from the garden. To the east is my mom & dad's house thats about 50 yards away. Finally, to the north is my grandma's house (50 yards), neighbors house(100 yards) , and the main road(100 yards).

This is unsafe. Your tolerance for a miss or ricochet are too tight and the likelihood of injuring someone are too high. Beware that the segmented CCI bullets ricochet like a SOB when they exit (which is quite frequently). I shoot ground squirrels out to 200 yards with these and even at that range I can hear the ricochet. At 100+ yards I find the subsonic 22 to be more predictable, as expected.

At your ranges you are much better off with a quality pellet gun.

- bsd

Last edited:
As to your original question, CCI Velocitors are great. One of my most frequently used plinking rounds. I can get repeatable accuracy and precision out to about 125-150 yards. Beyond that, the precision falls off a bit although the overall accuracy is reasonable. Beyond this range I seem to get better precision from a round that starts out subsonic.

- bsd

Your best bet is rat traps baited with peanut butter. be sure to anchor them, as a squirrel is often a dang site bigger than a rat. I wouldn't shoot in your AO, and I NEVER missed a target in my life(a little joke for DFoo).

I have met some guys that never miss, sadly I don't have enough time to hang out at various LGS's and gun shows, to actually learn their secrets.

I think with my experience and know how that, with a Manfrotto Tripod and the Anshchutz, I'm not going to have a problem at all when it comes to the precision needed for good shot placement on such small targets :) .

I think you place far too much confidence in rimfire ammunition. Perhaps you should be buying Eley.

I shoot CCI stuff for animals and Lapua for paper targets. With the Lapua I can shoot 1-1.25" at 75 yards using a tripod.

You are probably wasting your money on the Lapua.

Try some of the different weights and velocities of CCI's ammo and you should be able to find one that will duplicate that performance for a lot cheaper.

-bsd

Whoa there! Lets not get carried away with bashing match ammo for hunting there guys. Some people put a lot of weight on terminal performance from a rimfire. I am not gonna go into a long drawn out series of outsized comparisons about bullet size compared to animal size, although I could. Just suffice it to say, compare what you would shoot a hippo with and then compare what you shoot a squirrel with. Trust me, at the ranges you SHOULD be shooting squirrels, almost any 22 rimfire that attains 950+ will kill Mr T Rat quite dead. Extra points for accuracy because if you plan to make up for bad shots with Stingers or Velocitors, or Vipers etc then you fail the test.

I always shoot what is most accurate in my rifle if I plan to hunt. It matters not to me whether it is match ammo or Ripandtearaholin Super Speed hollow points. My Anschutz has never nor will ever taste bulk or high vel fodder. High vel tends to get really squirrely after about 70yds due to the trans sonic situation.
Lapua is NEVER a waste....ever.

It is if you are getting 1-1.25" groups at 75 yards with it. He should have no problem obtaining a similar level of accuracy with a cheaper ammo matched to his rifle. Of course, we are all free to spend extra money on cartridges that have a higher inherent precision potential than our weapon systems. It can be nice to know that the ammo is not the limiting factor.

I have no problem with using match grade for hunting when it is appropriate and needed. Long range shooting with the 22 is more precise with a cartridge that starts out subsonic especially if it has tight match grade manufacturing tolerances. From a hunting perspective however, if Velocitors or Mini-Mags give me MOA groups at 100 yards and Lapua Midas gives me sub moa, have I really gained anything by going to the more expensive ammo (assuming all of my shots will be under 100 yards)?

IMHO you really need to get out beyond 125-150 yards to reap the benefit of subsonic ammo if you are only looking for minute of prairie poodle accuracy. That is when the transonic issues start playing hell with your accuracy. At these ranges the tighter tolerances in the match ammo can really make a difference. JMHO

- bsd

Well, my 10/22 loves them. Makes nice pretty groups. Best part is last yote I shot didn't move far after taking one in the boiler room. Will out work for ground hogs and squirrels? Oh yeah, overkill? Hell yeah

You are probably wasting your money on the Lapua.

Try some of the different weights and velocities of CCI's ammo and you should be able to find one that will duplicate that performance for a lot cheaper.

-bsd

I'm well aware of the cost of the Lapua ammo. I don't go blazing thru a 550 round bulk pack of ammo. I shoot maybe 10 cartridges with it each outing. But its just like me and my beer. I buy a 6 pack of Left Hand Milk Stout for $11 because of its high quality and taste. I purchase that beer once a week on Friday when I get out of school. It's not like I'm buying it every day. In the end tho we are probably spending the same amount of money on ammunition because you shoot more of the cheaper ammo.

It is if you are getting 1-1.25" groups at 75 yards with it. He should have no problem obtaining a similar level of accuracy with a cheaper ammo matched to his rifle...

In a different shooting location (the barn) I regularly take birds, squirrels, groundhog at 75-100 yards with the Anschutz. I noticed my groups opened up a lot at 75 yards when shooting CCI Mini-Mag HV compared to the Lapua Master L. I think the increased accuracy is very beneficial because of the small size of the animals I'm shooting.

I'm not bashing you at all bsd. It seems that we are two completely different breeds of shooter. And hey, diversity is a good thing :)

Last edited:
Not intending to bash you either. Just saying that with some experimentation you could almost certainly find a cheaper round that will give you the same level of 75 yard precision and would cost less. To you, the time and effort of finding that round may not be worthwhile. To me it is. Lapua is simply overkill for this, not that there is anything wrong with a little overkill.

I shoot the 22 when I want to shoot as cheaply as possible. I would only shoot Lapua when I couldn't achieve the same level of accuracy with the cheap stuff. For ground squirrel hunting accuracy, ammunition doesn't become the limiting factor for me until >100 yards at which point I pull out the high dollar stuff. Now, if I were shooting 4H 25 yard rimfire competition again, then I would use match grade ammo even at short ranges. The tolerances are much smaller here.

-bsd

There is at least 30 squirrels in a $11, 50 round box of Lapua. $11 for 30 squirrels is a bargain. I have seen the time I would gladly pay $1 per uncleaned squirrel shot through the head. You will look log and hard for a high velocity ammo that shoots half as good as match ammo tuned to your particular rifle. We have been through this discussion many times in this section. I am not inclined to shoot copper washed ammo through my match rifle. It is my match rifle but it is also my go-to no bullshit hunting rifle. I am not the only person I know that refuses to shoot run of the mill ammo in my competition rifle. Though blowing a squirrels head clean off is impressive it isn't needed. Terminal performance isn't needed when you deliver a bullet to the brain of a tree rat. ALSO when using match ammo, shots delivered at a bad angle that exits through the body match ammo kills efficiently and rarely if ever busts a gut. High or hyper velocity HP ammo will render a squirrel dog food if he is looking down the tree at you when you pop his noggin, good shot, bad angle. Squirrels are notorious for bad angles. I am basing my advice on 35 years of shooting squirrels. When I was young and lacking the means for more accurate rifles I needed ammo that would increase my chances that any hit would account for meat torn up or not. I am now of better means to attain equipment that allows me the luxury of tearing up little meat which means more for the pot. High grade ammo simply increses my chance for success with less misses, thus it makes good economical sense. That's all I have to say about that.

Clearly I am not communicating my thoughts effectively so I will try to make it as simple as I can.

You don't need Lapua Or Eley or whatever match ammo to get 1-1.25" groups at 75 yards. There is plenty of cheap stuff that will give you this level of accuracy. My point was no more nor less than this.

The only reason I mentioned HV stuff is because the OP asked about it. I have shot prairie dogs for going on 27 years now and am under no delusions that HV ammo is necessary for good clean kills. In fact, I agree with all the points you make about terminal ballistics and I never stated otherwise.

My Sako P94 shoots cheap plated stuff pretty accurately and doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects when I go back to match grade. It takes 6-10 shots to get her settled in then she shoots the same as always. Of course I am not an Olympic level shooter. Maybe one of those guys would notice a difference.

BTW- If I want to see a pasture poodle blow up, I will shoot them with my 204.

-bsd

Most 22 ammo that is not match or standard velocity accuracy falls off badly because they go transonic around 65 to 75 yards. the velocitor it's one out the exceptions along with the aguila interceptor. In my experiences the velocitor stays supersonic to 100 or very close to, the groups don't open up. The other thing about these is they are waxed over a copper wash. If you really want match heads hunting ammo eley makes a hollow point match round for something like 7 bucks a box

I killed a squirrel yesterday. Hopefully, it was the one that was getting into the garden. I shot him halfway up a tree near the pond. I was shooting from inside the barn on a tripod with the side door open. The shot was about 50 yards away. I was shooting no where close to the garden by the way. I was shooting at another corner of the property where its safe to shoot.

When I shot him he fell ~40 feet to the ground haha! I thought he was dead and so I packed up and went to the house grinning after there was a lull in the heavy rain. I came back out about an hour later to finally check on his dead body. And guess what? He was still alive but paralyzed from the waist down. All he could do was move his front paws...

Terminal performance isn't needed when you deliver a bullet to the brain of a tree rat. ALSO when using match ammo, shots delivered at a bad angle that exits through the body match ammo kills efficiently and rarely if ever busts a gut. High or hyper velocity HP ammo will render a squirrel dog food if he is looking down the tree at you when you pop his noggin, good shot, bad angle. Squirrels are notorious for bad angles. I am basing my advice on 35 years of shooting squirrels.

I was looking at his body and no guts blown out as you said. I was using Lapua Master L ammo. His body looked normal except for the blood around his armpit.

When I initially shot the squirrel he was running along a branch and paused then I shot. It was either shoot now or miss the opportunity. The squirrel was turned at a bad angle and I didn't have the luxury to wait for a nice frontal shot. But I swear, when I saw him fall out of the tree I thought I killed him for sure...

Long story short, I told my little cousin about the squirrel still alive and he brought his pellet gun and inserted 3 lead pellets into his head :)

CCI quiet. Very quiet from a 24" barrel. Very deadly on everything to the size of jack rabbits. Very accurate in my Steven's 87A and my single-six. I've also been nipping the end off of them in a homemade jig that yields a nice wide meplat.

Regardless of the type ammunition used there is no guarantee there will never be a pass-thru or miss. Given the close quarters, the best way to keep the bullets from straying is to shoot from an elevated position so that every round goes into the ground at a steep enough angle to prevent ricochets. Traps can go a long way to rid your garden of pests.

OFG

Better buy a pellet gun. Maybe lay some hay bales out as a stop.

Not sure what all the concern for ricochets is. While I realize that it can happen, the occurrences should be extremely low. I've been shooting and hunting all my life and have had but ONE ricochet in all that time of 60+ years. Next topic is CCI Quiet .22. If you look at the specs, you'll see that they are essentially a .22 short in a LR package. As to ammo choices, one can't hope to stay familiar with too many different makes/models of cartridge. My approach is to have two and only two that I can rely on for various tasks. I think CCI Velocitors are the king of the heap for all hunting. Great trajectory and terminal ballistics. For "quiet" situations, I stay with either CCI SV or CCI Green Tag. Both are identical in performance. Trying to stay familiar with more than that, and you're going to make aiming mistakes in the heat of a quick shot. My Savage Mk II likes all three of them very much usually producing 1" - 1.5" groups @ 100 yards if I'm doing my job.
One special point about Velocitors is that they are supersonic of course. But more importantly, they REMAIN supersonic to around 100 yards. That gives it the advantage of never going through the transonic region within that distance which is said to affect accuracy. Other brands similar to Velocitors may offer the same advantage, but I stick with CCI almost exclusively. They are easily the most reliable ammo out there. Misfires are all but nonexistent, and CCI is everywhere. If you find a brand of .22 ammo that you like and that your gun likes, by all means go for it. I've only stated my preferences for the reasons given.
One last point is that even the higher priced .22 LR ammo is still inexpensive by comparison to every other caliber. IMHO, it is not a sin to spring the extra $ for good performance. Don't make comparisons to what bulk ammo sells for. It's not a useful exercise. For the most part, it's not very good stuff in my experience anyway. Instead, compare the cost to the end task required. If it succeeds, then the cost is worth it. If it fails, the cost savings on any cheap ammo is ever a bargain.

You're a sick f#$%. First off, you should be more responsible and made sure it was dead. I'm pro hunting as I'm a hunter myself but do not believe any animal, pest or not, should suffer.

Secondly, wtf dude? You waited for your cousin to finish the job? You couldn't mercy kill?

Third. You just mentioned air rifle. Why didn't you use your cousins air rifle from the start? You mentioned you were near other houses.

You sound like a 13 year old or some hillbilly that shouldnt be handling fire arms as you can't do it responsibly.

Dude never said anything about quiet in OP. Velocitors put .22s in coyote territory. But had one punch thru a skull at 40 yards recently.

CCI Stingers, OTOH, been making critters large and small DEAD since the mid-70s. Shoot squirrels in the body and the round will come unglued. Meat report should be alarming, however. Tell neighbors you're doing it and that you are picking shots and round turns to mist on contact.

You're a sick f#$%. First off, you should be more responsible and made sure it was dead. I'm pro hunting as I'm a hunter myself but do not believe any animal, pest or not, should suffer.

Secondly, wtf dude? You waited for your cousin to finish the job? You couldn't mercy kill?

Third. You just mentioned air rifle. Why didn't you use your cousins air rifle from the start? You mentioned you were near other houses.

You sound like a 13 year old or some hillbilly that shouldnt be handling fire arms as you can't do it responsibly.

Your first post? REally? Go somewhere else. It is a fucking rat, get over your self righteous, bunny hugging self.

Dude never said anything about quiet in OP. Velocitors put .22s in coyote territory. But had one punch thru a skull at 40 yards recently.

CCI Stingers, OTOH, been making critters large and small DEAD since the mid-70s. Shoot squirrels in the body and the round will come unglued. Meat report should be alarming, however. Tell neighbors you're doing it and that you are picking shots and round turns to mist on contact.

Nope..Nope...Nope you fail the initial post test as well. FRankly you sound like someone who has killed a lot of shit on the internet. I am a little ashamed, that I decided to participate in this little resurrection. Velocitors do not magically put the 22 in coyote territory. Center X will kill a coyote pretty dead [retty quick, at extreme distances. I could prove it to you, but I don't want to resurrect another dead thread.
Welcome to the hide kids. Behave.

Yes, you should be ashamed. You fail the keepin a civil tongue in your mouth test, son. Go try bullying someone else, ain't workin with me.