• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a really noticeable difference...

Johnson184

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Going to get my first precision rifle setup as I mentioned in my other topic.

Just wondering if there is even a really noticeable difference for spending more money or if it gets to a point of diminishing returns.

Proposal #1. ~$1250
Remington 700 SPS Stainless put in an AICS 1.5 stock.

Proposal #2. ~$1800
Remington 700 5R Stainless put in an AICS 1.5 stock.

Proposal #3. ~2450
Custom action (Lawton, Surgeon, etc.), Kreiger barrel, Jewell Trigger, put in an AICS 1.5 stock.

Basically they're all separated by ~$650. Hopefully I have all the prices roughly right.

Re: Is there a really noticeable difference...

Why not get Proposal #1, shoot the dog crap about of it, if its not a shooter or what you're happy with, spend some money by getting it re-barreled. You will still be under Proposal #2 and it could possibly shoot better.

Also, if you are really trying to cut the cost, Get Proposal #1,that is what I would do. If you got money to burn, send me a check or the parts and will build you Proposal #3.

Just my thoughts.

I say go for #1. Why I say this is because with this being your 1st precision rifle you need some time to experiment and figure you exactly what you like/want in a custom rig. I find a factory rifle to be a great way to start but you will eventually want to upgrade to #3.

Another vote for #1 and invest the rest on bullets down range

Start with #1, add a custom barrel and have it trued when you're sure you want to stick with the AICs and 308.

Get a Rifle Basix trigger for half the cost of a Jewel whenever you've got an extra $130 kicking around.

Johnson,

A couple of thoughts about your proposals. First, on proposal #1 the SPS Tactical is not stainless, but CM. There is a stainless SPS but that is a sporter.

Second, the SPS Tactical has a 20" barrel, the 5R has a 24" barrel. That's sort of an apples to oranges comparison. Of course if you buy the 5R, you could cut the barrel back.

Which of course raises the point: What do you want to actually do with it? What I mean is, either the SPS or 5R dropped in an AICS 1.5 stock will be a heavy SOB. The AICS is nearly 6lbs by it's self. If your precision rifle is only going from the trunk to range side, the AICS is a good choice. If you actually have visions of humping your rifle around any great distance the AICS ceases to be fun, IMHO.

Any AICS package you have listed will deliver all the accuracy required for a precision rifle. But portability is not listed among it's virtues.

Bob

Thank you for making me aware of the different contour on the SPS Stainless.

How much could I make back by selling the 5R's stock?

This will be used 99% of the time at the range so weight is of no concern. I plan on shooting at distances of 600 yards or shorter so a 20" barrel length would actually be preferred. I just keep hearing all this buzz about the 5R. (The stainless steel certainly is aesthetically pleasing) Then I hear rave reviews about custom actions, and I was wondering what significant differences in performances I should expect.

Johnson,

You should be able to get in the $225-$250 range for your 5R stock. For what you have in mind, the 5R/AICS combo is a good choice.

Bob

From what I hear all those Remingtons are using the same barreled action minus the finish and contour. I think a stainless steel gun is worth the extra money, though. I just wouldn't count on one less groove making any difference.

Get the SPS tactical, put it in the AICS and have fun. I own two SPS's and they both shoot 1/2 or better, with the crap stock. I can't wait for the day to put them in something solid. Although the SS is nice, once you get the barreled action coated in something the worry all goes away. Either way, you'll be more than happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnson184</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to get my first precision rifle setup as I mentioned in my other topic.

Just wondering if there is even a really noticeable difference for spending more money or if it gets to a point of diminishing returns.

Proposal #1. ~$1250
Remington 700 SPS Stainless put in an AICS 1.5 stock.

Proposal #2. ~$1800
Remington 700 5R Stainless put in an AICS 1.5 stock.

Proposal #3. ~2450
Custom action (Lawton, Surgeon, etc.), Kreiger barrel, Jewell Trigger, put in an AICS 1.5 stock.

Basically they're all separated by ~$650. Hopefully I have all the prices roughly right. </div></div>

Are you shooting a few thousand rounds per year? If not, go with option 1. If you are, then you don't need our opinion. Since you ask the question, option 1 man!
smile.gif
After you shoot that barrel out, you'll know what you want....