• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there aftermarket support for 300blk? Worth it?

kapp_badbloodz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2014
All over the place
Hello,

Been doing some research after seeing some deals on a few 300blk long rifles and I cant seem to decide whether its worth it over a 308 or 6.5cm rifle. Does anybody have any experience with this round? Is there a lot of aftermarket support and equipment (bottom metal, mags, etc). Will it be more of a pain in the ass having this thing and shooting it full time vs another? Just curious if anybody else out there has ever considered one or considered doing a build.

Thanks

Corey

What is your purpose for choosing the 300 blackout round? What are your intentions?

300 blackout has a specific purpose..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My impression was that the 300bkout was intended for the AR 15 platform where it would feed from std. 556 mags. I can't imagine that is even close to a 308, let alone a 6.5 cm. Probably more comparable to the 7.62x39. Bolt rifles can handle most anything, therefore I wouldn't limit myself to an "ar type" round. But then again I'm not into the ar fad.

It should feed in anything designed for a 223. That is the beauty of the round is it uses cases and mags and bolts designed for the .223/5.56 and 30 cal bullets. There is nothing proprietary but the dies.

Been doing some research after seeing some deals on a few 300blk long rifles and I cant seem to decide whether its worth it over a 308 or 6.5cm rifle. Does anybody have any experience with this round? Is there a lot of aftermarket support and equipment (bottom metal, mags, etc). Will it be more of a pain in the ass having this thing and shooting it full time vs another? Just curious if anybody else out there has ever considered one or considered doing a build.

Corey, what do you plan on using it for? For a general target rifle or for a broader hunting use you would be better served by the 308 or 6.5.

There is a massive aftermarket for it. Depending on the rifle you buy, a 223 bottom metal set for the rifle and 223 magazines works.

Like other people mentioned above, it is essentially a 223 necked up to 30 cal. Nothing too fancy about it.

Its alot of fun to shoot but dont think you are going to get any where near 308 or 6.5 cm velocitys. any short action 700 stock with the right barrel channel will work . I have 2 ar type blackouts and they are nice but the bolt gun opens up alot more options .
I spent some money on mine and am really happy , bell and carlson m40-a1 stock and a leupold mk4 2.5 x 8 scope . I think that is about all the magnification I need . 110 grain v-max traveling at 2350fps zeroed at 100 yds = 7 inches drop at 200 yds and 24 inches at 300 yds . 225 grain hornady going 1050 fps and zeroed at 100 yds = 35 inch drop at 200 yds . hope this helps

Corey, what do you plan on using it for? For a general target rifle or for a broader hunting use you would be better served by the 308 or 6.5.

There is a massive aftermarket for it. Depending on the rifle you buy, a 223 bottom metal set for the rifle and 223 magazines works.

Like other people mentioned above, it is essentially a 223 necked up to 30 cal. Nothing too fancy about it.

It would be a general target rifle and to blast small helpless critters that dig holes on property. I was considering this caliber only because there were several deals I saw and its a compatible host for my 308 suppressor.

Its alot of fun to shoot but dont think you are going to get any where near 308 or 6.5 cm velocitys. any short action 700 stock with the right barrel channel will work . I have 2 ar type blackouts and they are nice but the bolt gun opens up alot more options .
I spent some money on mine and am really happy , bell and carlson m40-a1 stock and a leupold mk4 2.5 x 8 scope . I think that is about all the magnification I need . 110 grain v-max traveling at 2350fps zeroed at 100 yds = 7 inches drop at 200 yds and 24 inches at 300 yds . 225 grain hornady going 1050 fps and zeroed at 100 yds = 35 inch drop at 200 yds . hope this helps

This helped quite a bit. I want the rifle to reach out and touch targets at a fairly reasonable distance but it seems like this round may struggle. Maybe for my next build I'll do one. Also I am budgeting anither AR build as well and it would be nice to have a long gun and a bolt gun that can use the same caliber. Not interested in an AR10 type build though ^_____^

It would be a general target rifle and to blast small helpless critters that dig holes on property. I was considering this caliber only because there were several deals I saw and its a compatible host for my 308 suppressor.

This helped quite a bit. I want the rifle to reach out and touch targets at a fairly reasonable distance but it seems like this round may struggle. Maybe for my next build I'll do one. Also I am budgeting anither AR build as well and it would be nice to have a long gun and a bolt gun that can use the same caliber. Not interested in an AR10 type build though ^_____^

The 300AAC is clearly not a replacement for the 308 since it is on par with the 7.62x39mm (AK47) round when loaded to the max.

It does exceptionally well in short barrels (~9") and would be a much better choice for a SBR or PDW than the 5.56.

For pest control on your property the loads can be reduced to very civil levels even without a can. With a can on a bolt gun, the 300AAC is "stupid" quiet while still having enough killing power.

The useful range of supersonic rounds is 400-500 yards and if you do not want to use the turret to compensate for drop, a Zeiss Rapid Z800 BDC reticle can be matched perfectly to the 300AAC trajectory if you half the distance (i.e. the "8" line becomes the POI at 400 yards)

Another bonus is that you can make very inexpensive rounds with cast lead bullets. This can also be done with the 308 but you really do not need the powder volume of the 308 case for that.

Interesting.

The more I think about it the more my curiosity is getting the better of me...

Do I want a "flatter" and "farther" shooting platform or something unique, well rounded (for a tactical short barreled bolt gun), that can still do what I would require it to do and still have room to grow? My real question is availability of ammo and also difficulty of reloading.

Does anybody know anything about barrel life with the 300blk? With a bolt gun I wouldnt shoot more than 100 rounds on a good weekend so while I am not bothered by it I am just curious.

A 308 is good for several thousand rounds. I also got very good accuracy with moderate loads from one of my 223 DCM AR-15s for a few thousand. Take the small powder capacity of the 223, add the 30 cal bullet, and you will likely never see the end of the 300 blackout's barrel.