• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this system balanced?

MAXEF

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2014
Is a 2.5x10-42 to low of a magnification range for this rifle?
It's a mega maten receiver set with a .308 20" rainier arms ultra-match barrel.
My local terrain will allow me to shoot past 1000 yds. Am I going to not be able to use this rifle to its full potential with a 10x max scope?
Everything has not been shipped yet.
Prs stock with standard a2 buffer system
Giessele national match dmr trigger
Magpul grip
Anderson manufacturing bolt carrier group
Syrac ordnance adj. gas block
Troy trx 12" rail.

Feel free to throw up any other relevant advice regarding the parts being used

Thank you.

Your MAX RANGE alone is but a small part of the equation that you'll need to take into consideration before proceeding with what will/won't work for you (at least ideally) in terms of your optics selection.

You need to think about what you'll be doing with the rifle the vast majority of the time in terms of its more common ranges, intended targets, etc. For instance, if you are wanting to also shoot at closer ranges or for hunting in less-than-open areas, then the lower end on your 2.5-10x will likely be of value/use to you, especially on anything moving like deer, varmints, etc. If, on the other hand, you don't see this rifle as being one that gets used for shorter ranges, etc., but rather for really stretching its legs out to/beyond 1k, then I'd suggest that you start looking for more juice on the top end of your magnification range. That said, 10x is more than enough to get the job done at 1k provided that your targets are such that can be adequately engaged with only 10x. (i.e. - a groundhog or yote will be more than a bit of a stretch, but if all you are wanting/needing to do at that range is ring steel that's larger, not moving, etc., then 10x may be ok). Again, only YOU can decide what's up to the task and what's not.

For extended ranges, I personally prefer more top end, including but certainly not limited to at least 16x (4-16x is a good "tweener" optic that will work fairly close with movers, as well as at longer ranges).

Again, let your specific role for the rifle dictate what's best for YOU.

Ok thank you, that helps out a lot. I was planning on using it to shoot steel and hunt pigs/ deer/elk. I'm new to long range so I figured I'd like the rifle to be able to reach out to what I will eventually learn to shoot w/ a semi .308.

If you're new to long range I'd reccomend looking at getting a bolt gun, they are easier to learn on. Not saying you can't do it with a semi but in my opinion they can be a little challenging