• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is this the new budget scope to beat? SWFA is on notice!

Bender

Known Troll
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2014
    Cheyenne WY.
    I looked at a Bushnell 3-12x44 Nitro @JMGlasgow had last week. Ordered one from Doug at Camera Land. Showed up today.
    After playing with it my initial take is, if this performs, SWFA better put in some work.

For $250 you get a NIB FFP 3-12 with a tree reticle, decent glass, very robust construction, tool-less zero, AND sunshade with Butler style spring loaded scope cap? With a no BS warranty? Made in Korea??? NOT CHINA like the “other guys” budget scopes??

This is just unboxing pics but I’ll update this after I put it on a rifle and do a side by side comparison with my SWFA 10x.

328B9341-D022-4332-A7B4-4F729594DBC2.jpeg
    C56B1764-8E97-4978-8E38-4F6D8B8F4754.jpeg
    5E1AD975-74B5-4E07-98E3-5276046BE2C8.jpeg
    63CC76B4-74E0-41BC-89D7-43451A67701A.jpeg
    7D005D48-5CF2-4141-8C05-504E937B941B.jpeg
    317D2775-227D-4BA9-BBAF-7158BE300072.jpeg

Metal scope caps, brass erector seems robust.

my only complaint so far are the clicks are small and don’t feel great, not mushy but feel really close together. I’m going to hold with this 99% of the time anyway. So let’s see how it holds up this summer.

did I mention this thing is heavy? Like stout!
    A2430511-1490-4C91-A526-37F22E759900.jpeg
    CA05DE8B-5B40-4451-8F11-785963AC7A19.jpeg
    95CE3285-598C-49C5-9FAA-D08A3D4D9BFE.jpeg
    39A874A1-7856-4676-A41F-D6A9173CB975.jpeg
    A82427D0-9D86-4A91-A102-EF7487825DDE.jpeg
    B8A33856-A23E-4A7C-99C5-AD0ABC8ED2B9.jpeg

I put the 4-14 on my 280 Remington and really like it. I've only put a few rounds downrange so I don't know how it will hold up. The glass is really good for the price, my only complaint is the field of view seems a bit narrow compared to my Nightforce and various Vortex scopes.

Reactions: Bolo and Bender
    How usable is the reticle on low mag? I'm considering one of these for a 22 that'll do a fair amount of small game hunting. Any hope of seeing it in the woods on ~3-4x

I was under the impression these are closeout prices. Also, Bushnell changed their warranty when they released the Prime/Nitro/Forge scopes. Their former "No Questions Asked" warranty was essentially like Vortex's. For Bushnell scopes made after April 2017, their current "Ironclad" warranty applies and doesn't cover accidental damage, among other things. For the $200-$250 I'm considering one, but I don't think this is normal pricing.

These are indeed being closed out to the best of my knowledge.

Deploy mil is a decent reticle, except for the lack of 0.5 mil holds to the left of the vertical and the numbers cluttering things up to the right.

ILya
    Closed out as in discontinued?

That would be interesting as they just Debuted them at shot show. Wow. You have your ear closer to the company’s more than anybody. I guess I better buy another one quickly.

If you go to Cameralnd website, you will see that Doug is selling 2.5-10x44 and 3-12x44 models at a significant discount. I think he had highe rpower models too, but they are all gone. If you like them, pick up a couple more.

It is not clear what is next for the Nitro line. They might come back with different reticles or the name will return but with a cheaper Chinese OEM behind them, or it might be gone for good.

Aside from the Elite product line, Bushnell changes their products so quickly, that I stopped looking at them completely. By the time I work through a thorough review, the product is discontinued.

ILya

Yeah for the price this is hard to pass up.

Friend has the 6-24, it's not bad.

The chinese Midas TAC 6-24 still destroys it though, and the more expensive Bushnell TO.

Here's a little short comparison by a friend.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
    Yeah for the price this is hard to pass up.

Friend has the 6-24, it's not bad.

The chinese Midas TAC 6-24 still destroys it though, and the more expensive Bushnell TO.

Here's a little short comparison by a friend.

But it’s Chinese. Some us take issue with communist optics

I've got the 2.5-10. I picked it up to put on a hunting rifle. I haven't mounted it yet, but it seems like a pretty decent scope for the price.

I like the reticle, a lot.

I've got the 2.5-10. I picked it up to put on a hunting rifle. I haven't mounted it yet, but it seems like a pretty decent scope for the price.

I like the reticle, a lot.
    How does it look at 3-4x? Is it usable in the woods and visible?

These scopes are older then being implied (unless they released a new model)... a guy that I sometimes shoot with has had a nitro for over 2 years. It seems to be a decent scope and he hasn't had any issues. For a while they were doing a even better sale-- same price but Bushnell was offering a 30% mail in rebate. I picked up a 5-20 but haven't used it enough to review it, except that the turrets don't have a nice feel to them. I had a bushnell forge scope- it's the higher model- and was noticeably better in every way- except made in China. I emailed bushnell and told them that I wasn't happy with that and they took it back no problem.

These scopes are older then being implied (unless they released a new model)... a guy that I sometimes shoot with has had a nitro for over 2 years. It seems to be a decent scope and he hasn't had any issues. For a while they were doing a even better sale-- same price but Bushnell was offering a 30% mail in rebate. I picked up a 5-20 but haven't used it enough to review it, except that the turrets don't have a nice feel to them. I had a bushnell forge scope- it's the higher model- and was noticeably better in every way- except made in China. I emailed bushnell and told them that I wasn't happy with that and they took it back no problem.

Agreed. I received mine in March of 2019.

Reactions: Bender
    I must have thought it came out this year. I am going to pick up a second one. I will use it on a second .223 Pd gun. The turret feel is the worst part.

I bought one of these last year for my wifes .243. As soon as I noticed the parallax went down to 25 yds I put it on a .22 for NRL22 matches. Pretty decent scope and I have no complaints.

I've been using the 6-24 x 50 model for a few months now on my 6.5 Grendel. I find that the magnification binds between 14 and 16X, Not sure why. Otherwise it's not a bad scope.

Here's a couple of pics on 4x of the 2.5-10x version.

Keep in mind, I am holding my phone up to the eyepiece so the pictures are mediocre at best.

At 4x, I have no issues being able use the reticle for holds.

I then turned the power to 2.5x and even then, I could use the reticle for holds, but the background would have to be a lighter color in order to use it effectively as it does get harder to see.
    IMG_20200518_092301.jpg

Reactions: Bender and NHR
    Here's a couple of pics on 4x of the 2.5-10x version.

Keep in mind, I am holding my phone up to the eyepiece so the pictures are mediocre at best.

At 4x, I have no issues being able use the reticle for holds.

I then turned the power to 2.5x and even then, I could use the reticle for holds, but the background would have to be a lighter color in order to use it effectively as it does get harder to see.View attachment 7329543
    Thanks for posting. I'd assume it's even more usable than your pic indicates, which looks like it'll be enough for short range ground shots.

I was looking at the Talos BTR but this may be better

Thanks for posting. I'd assume it's even more usable than your pic indicates, which looks like it'll be enough for short range ground shots.

I was looking at the Talos BTR but this may be better

For $199 at cameralandny, it's a pretty good buy. They also have the 3-12 for $249.

I'm contemplating buying another one, but then I'd need another rifle.

1st world problems....

Reactions: Bender and NHR
    How does the 3-12 compare to the 2.5-10? Any recommendations on which one to pick up?

How does it look at 3-4x? Is it usable in the woods and visible?

I put the 2.5-10 ffp mill on a .22 a few weeks ago.

It will live at 10x, and I'm ok with that. It's not usable to me on anything below 6x without a high contrast background. I can see it fine at 3x on a white or orange steel plate. Try shooting the gray gopher silhoutte on a gravel and grass backstop and I'm at the outer thick part following them in to try and find the center of the reticle.

It is plenty fine at high power though, so far I've essentially treated it like a straight 10x and will not dial it, because it's on a gopher gun and everything will be holds based on a 50 yard zero with mini-mags.

I think these scopes have been around since 2018 based on the YouTube reviews I’ve seen. Also I think the MRAD models are being discontinued based on the fact Bushnell Now only lists the MOA and Plex reticle models on their website.

I have a 3-12 I mounted on a 16” barreled AR15. Shot out to 460 yards with it no problem.

Pros:
    -Great glass (for the price). Compared to a Bushnell 4.5 - 18 LRHS I have, the LRHS image is expectedly more pleasant, however I can still pick out the same kind of details between the two scopes with both set to 12x (example small bolt heads and imperfections on a steel plate hanger strap at 200 yards).

-Feels well made. Has held zero. Elevation returned to zero dialing 6 mils either direction. Seemed to track just fine (though I wasn't using the most accurate weapon for tracking purposes).

Cons:
    -I wish the reticle was a touch thicker. The Nitro has a thinner reticle compared to the LRHS. I feel the thin reticle hampers it’s ability to be used at lower magnifications. In the alternative perhaps a 4-mil wide circle (like on the G2H reticle) would have increased its low mag visibility. That being said, I’ve been able to hit an 8” plate at 200 at 3x by simply holding center of the reticle slightly high on the plate, it just took a bit more effort than I’d liked to pick up the reticle.

-FOV is narrower compared to LRHS at similar mag. Even with eye relief properly set, there is a thick black ring of the internal of the scope body visible when viewing through all magnification levels.

-Turrets don’t easily drop into place when floating them to “zero” and the turrets don’t line up perfectly with elevation/windage indicator lines . Not a big deal considering this is a capped turret scope meant for hold overs.

Overall I’m happy with my sub $200 purchase (after rebate).

Also wanted to add, the lens coating on the Nitro’s glass handled flaring much better compared to the SWFA 3-15 FFP.

Through the scope pictures and a comparison to my Razor Gen2 3-18 at 400 yards. I tried to get the Razor around 12x for comparison.
    20200523_094548.jpg

20200523_101205.jpg

I'll let you decide which is better. I'm not complaining one bit about the Bushnell. The turrets actually track, the reticle is useful, and the glass is good. It has also held up to my M1A so far. They're known to be hard on optics.

Reactions: PBWalsh and Bender
    I have 2 bushnells with the Deploy MOA reticle and they have been great. Forge 3-18 on a Tikka and a 2.5-10 on a precision AR. Good tracking, clear optics (clear and cloudy days both, but no early mornings), usable reticle. Bushnell offers a less painful way to get a rifle onto the shooting range without the pain of paying for some other scopes. I do not consider them a long term solution, but good enough for a filler.