• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Issue with NightForce nx8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it only took one day of having that video up for them to try and call me, so I’m guess that’s a yes. I told them if they want to talk that id prefer to do it over email or text. Didn’t get a reply yet.

It‘s pretty unsat that it took this much to get them to contact you.

No offense to the OP but I’m gonna play devils advocate here and say there’s got to be more to this story. We’re only getting one side so far and there’s always two sides.
I take no offense to wanting to know the whole story. There are 3 sides to every one. However, I've defended them where they deserved it and I'm trying to be objective. If you scroll back and read I said I do believe that they believe it isn't defective. They tested it themselves and found no faults. However shooting 2 groups on a different rifle with a different range of erector travel does not mean there is no defect.

It's the dismissive nature of NF. Skott flat out told me no refund, no replacement. I told him if they did not take care of this issue I would be forced to take them to small claims. Skott replied that they will not be threatened. I did not mean it as any sort of intimidation tactic but rather to make sure they knew I would not just roll over and get stuck with $2400 worth of scrap metal.

I don't understand, how hard it would be to just swap it out assuming nothing was visibly wrong with the scope minus scope ring mounting marks.

I'm sure it could be used or sold as a demo.

How stupid. They're stupid. I have a 1-8 NX8. My last NF. To many other good brands if they are going to be that way.

Reactions: IdahoSpud
I take no offense to wanting to know the whole story. There are 3 sides to every one. However, I've defended them where they deserved it and I'm trying to be objective. If you scroll back and read I said I do believe that they believe it isn't defective. They tested it themselves and found no faults. However shooting 2 groups on a different rifle with a different range of erector travel does not mean there is no defect.

It's the dismissive nature of NF. Skott flat out told me no refund, no replacement. I told him if they did not take care of this issue I would be forced to take them to small claims. Skott replied that they will not be threatened. I did not mean it as any sort of intimidation tactic but rather to make sure they knew I would not just roll over and get stuck with $2400 worth of scrap metal.

I get it. The guy you talked to also sounds like a dick.
I’m just saying maybe it fell through the cracks. Shit happens even with good companies. Add to that the whole industry has been turned upside down since March. Doesn’t excuse your shitty experience but you get what I mean

I wish I had read all of this last week. I ordered the NX8 4-32 over the weekend and it should be here Thursday. I hope I didn't get a lemon. And good luck with the settlement.

Yeah as much as I hate NF after this chill my dudes. I’m sure this situation is pretty rare. You’ll be ok. Unless you aren’t. Then you’re screwed. Haha.

This entire situation is messed up.......not sure why NF would play hardball like they have....??

Curious of the outcome!!

Obviously everyone who buys Nightforce scopes is fucked.

It's not that you might get lemon, chances are very slim you will. NF's QC is likely one of the best in the industry and why they're so well regarded. It's just how they are handling this situation.

Most consider NF a top tier manufacturer and would assume the customer service would be top tier as well just like their QC. Most of us are scratching our heads as to why NF is being so bull headed on this particular scope. One would think NF would just swap it out regardless of what they're seeing after receiving so much push back from the OP.

It seem that NF is butting heads with the OP for whatever reason but doesn't make a whole lot of sense when looking at the big picture. Sure, maybe he's an asshole and doesn't deserve a new scope but the optics, pun intended, aren't good for NF regardless of who's right. It's not like they're hanging on by a string financially and need every $1 that's coming in. Not to mention they can QC the returned scope and bring it back to "new" condition and sell it.

Reactions: Baron23 and JakeM
It's not that you might get lemon, chances are very slim you will. NF's QC is likely one of the best in the industry and why they're so well regarded. It's just how they are handling this situation.

Most consider NF a top tier manufacturer and would assume the customer service would be top tier as well just like their QC. Most of us are scratching our heads as to why NF is being so bull headed on this particular scope. One would think NF would just swap it out regardless of what they're seeing after receiving so much push back from the OP.

It seem that NF is butting heads with the OP for whatever reason but doesn't make a whole lot of sense when looking at the big picture. Sure, maybe he's an asshole and doesn't deserve a new scope but the optics, pun intended, aren't good for NF regardless of who's right. It's not like they're hanging on by a string financially and need every $1 that's coming in. Not to mention they can QC the returned scope and bring it back to "new" condition and sell it.
Right. I was being facetious. A bunch of guys are reading this one-sided thread and cursing Nightforce forever. I have no reason to discredit the guy having issues here, however with that said I’ve seen it so many times where a one-sided story makes you think the other party is doing something out of malicious intent, only to find out when they finally get a chance to speak their piece that it was really some left-field thing that happened and both parties were on a different page. I despise how Internet forums are the center of cancel culture, where one guy has a problem one time and suddenly 500 people will never buy from that company again due to this anecdotal feedback.

Right. I was being facetious. A bunch of guys are reading this one-sided thread and cursing Nightforce forever. I have no reason to discredit the guy having issues here, however with that said I’ve seen it so many times where a one-sided story makes you think the other party is doing something out of malicious intent, only to find out when they finally get a chance to speak their piece that it was really some left-field thing that happened and both parties were on a different page. I despise how Internet forums are the center of cancel culture, where one guy has a problem one time and suddenly 500 people will never buy from that company again due to this anecdotal feedback.

I quoted you by mistake. I meant the quote the post above yours. :geek:

I remembered i talked to a guy name Robert, he’s pretty cool to talk to, very polite and patient.

Sorry to hear what you experience, NF will eventually replace the scope, I’m sure of it

• Haha
Reactions: CrabsandFootball
In my opinion night force should have a precense here. Their silence on this thread speaks volumes. To me, for them to be silent here is something I will not forget. Shout out to night force if you care you need to respond. Period. If you don’t care, well enough said.

I do not agree with those who have expressed the view that the OP was perhaps too stringent in his criticism of NF over this issue.

Yes, all manf....no matter how good their QA...will ship a bummer of a product once in a while.

That doesn't effect my view of NF at all. Their CS response to this problem indeed does, however.

Specifically, in the face of a great deal of evidence that fault isolated the issue to the scope, NF has been intractable, unresponsive, and down right rude and this is worth taking into account, IMO, and is a reasonable factor to consider when selecting a scope manf.

The fact that the OP had to file a suit in order to get them to respond again says it all.

Its really a shame as it takes no time at all to ruin a CS reputation and a long time to recover from from it. MO, NF's reactions were incredibly short sighted and counter productive to their own goals much less those of their customers.

Just plain stupid and mule headed, in my view.

Last edited:
Shout out to night force if you care you need to respond. Period. If you don’t care, well enough said.
I wouldn't expect them to chime in while they're working through the matter with their customer that filed suit against them.

I quoted you by mistake. I meant the quote the post above yours. :geek:
I don't really think I will get a lemon. In fact, the scope arrived yesterday and it looks great so far. I did a lot of research before spending that kind of money and honestly, even if I had read this prior to the purchase, I still would have bought the scope. Nightforce has a great reputation for their products and probably 9 times out of 10, their customer service is great too. I was just disappointed to hear about this one situation. If the OP's scope really is defective, and it was not his fault, they should have replaced it a long time ago.

Hopefully this helps the company improve it's customer service.
Their scopes as a whole have a good rep.
Very popular here in Western Australia.
Maybe a decent coffee machine in the CS department will help.
A good cup of coffee can start the day off right.

Reactions: Bakwa
If a company doesn’t have a forum presence, they aren’t going to spend all day hunting forums to find people talking about their products so they can create an account and pitch in their idea. If they aren’t here then they aren’t here, and that shouldn’t be a reason to dislike them.

I don't really think I will get a lemon. In fact, the scope arrived yesterday and it looks great so far. I did a lot of research before spending that kind of money and honestly, even if I had read this prior to the purchase, I still would have bought the scope. Nightforce has a great reputation for their products and probably 9 times out of 10, their customer service is great too. I was just disappointed to hear about this one situation. If the OP's scope really is defective, and it was not his fault, they should have replaced it a long time ago.

I agree. Probably better than 9 of out 10 times as well. Just goes to show how just one incident can tarnish an otherwise superior reputation. Head scratcher for sure. Enjoy your scope. Mine's great as well. Hard pressed to find something like the NX8 at its price point and quality.

I’ve currently got 4 NFS. Two ATACRs and 2 NX8s. I was looking to add another ATACR, but this is making me second guess that.

They sent me an email asking about settling this. They are saying that they just found out I'm suing them(papers were officially served over a month ago) and that the last they knew I had agreed to take the scope back and try it again, and let them know how it went. This is untrue. When they called me after finding "no faults" for a second time I told them I had already tried every single thing they are suggesting to try multiple times. I asked them what they are suggesting or who they were blaming if I had already done everything they said was the reason. No answer. I then flat out asked to PLEASE just refund my money or at least replace it. I got what I felt was a rude and what was clearly a final "No, the scope is fine." This is what caused me to decide small claims was about my only option left. Even if they had offered to take it back a third time(they didn't) my patience is up and I'm not going to keep playing this forever.

Their recent contact after my video seems to have been(I'm guessing) to attempt to finally replace it. I told them considering I've had to go through all this and spend money on an actual court case a replacement will no longer cut it. If I had to go through all this to get them to step up I'm at least going to attempt to get some reimbursement for the money this thing has cost me in ammunition to prove my case, court fees, etc. They haven't replied in the days since.

If you feel I don't deserve to have my court fees reimbursed or at least be compensated for some of the ammunition to go back and forth trying to get them to believe me, that's fine. But after all this, I do. The last conversation I had with them I gave them the opportunity to just flat out replace it and they declined. I shouldn't have had to pay more money for all this nonsense to get them to just replace it.

Stick to your guns Bro. At this point they owe u money for scope, ammo, legal costs and your time.

Says alot about the character and integrity of those as Night force. They are getting scratched off ALOT of peoples list based on this thread alone. I was telling 3 of my buddies about this who all shoot high end glass, and they said fuck that.

There is ZERO excuse for them putting you through this and then playing dumb about it.

The fact no one over at NF hasn't looked at the situation and said, This ends now is mind boggling.

I agree. Probably better than 9 of out 10 times as well. Just goes to show how just one incident can tarnish an otherwise superior reputation. Head scratcher for sure. Enjoy your scope. Mine's great as well. Hard pressed to find something like the NX8 at its price point and quality.
Makes you wonder how many others were treated like this, and did not have the knowledge or confidence to stand up to them. How many are out there that don't track, that the user thinks its their own fault.

Is there a more expensive scope of theirs you’d accept as an exchange? I don’t know much about their line up as I’m a dirty poor. If they balk any more, I’d send this to a respected member of this community like BigJimFish, Ilya, etc and ask them to test it.

Hard pressed to find something like the NX8 at its price point and quality.

I covered that in my email response. They have a confidentiality clause in their email, so I can't post that, but I don't see why I can't post my response. I snipped out a part that had some personal information in it.

Skott,

That was not the last you heard from me. The last time we spoke you had shipped my optic back to me for the second time. I told you I had already done everything you suggested and that the issue was the optic, not the mounting procedure or anything else. I told you this optic has been remounted by your own dealer countless times as well as myself exactly according to your specifications. I also informed you that this problem could be replicated by placing the NightForce optic on other rifles, and that my rifle and base function as they should with other optics. I gave you and NightForce the opportunity to fix this issue and you flat out told me no, you would not issue a refund or even replace it.

I understand you guys did your test and believe it's not defective. But in my opinion, I have given you far more than enough information to show you that there is a defect somewhere. Axial Precision(now AllTerra arms) believes the range of erector travel for your test rifle laid outside of the defective range. They took out my Nx8 and tested it on one of their proven guns side by side with their Schmidt and Bender and wrote me back that it is clearly defective. I cannot believe that a customer of yours could have done all this, spent all this money in attempts to prove it to you, still not have a functioning optic a year and a half later, and you would deny them a replacement. If you were that confident in it then it would have cost you next to nothing to take it back and send me a new one, much like almost every other reputable company would do given the lengthy nature of the issue.

Yes, I hung up on you. I believe it is in both of our interest to have all communication recorded considering we are formally in litigation.

I have documented 3rd party proof that this optic is defective. I have a year and a half record of the attempts to rectify this problem and what it cost me. (snip)

As far as discussing settling this. My settlement is laid out on the small claims paperwork. And I promise you, that is a very conservative estimate of what this has cost me just in ammunition and smith fees, excluding the gas, hundreds of hours of range time, reloading, and travel. I also forget to add the cost of the rings I clearly don't need with it now. Consider this; I could have walked out of the shop after purchasing it, hucked this in a dumpster, and still been financially ahead of where I am now with it.

I genuinely mean this; I wanted to be a NightForce person. I dreamed of getting one of these optics and frankly have been unable to find anything else that fits the bill of an Nx8. But, I literally had a Tasco optic outperform it on my 300WM. I want nothing to do with NF at this point. If you want to settle, you can pay what is listed in the paperwork and we can go our separate ways. If not, I will see you December 9.

Respectfully,

*Me*

Damn dude. I’d feel the same way as you, but not sure I could be as cordial as you’ve been. If only Vortex would make an lower mag range AMG. We could all cut this nonsense out of our life.

Doesn’t nightforce send scopes to lowlight and other forum participants to be reviewed?

Maybe it's because there isn't a hole in it!!! LOL, hope you get it settled..........
1605213072140.png

It's one scope.
Why would they dig their heels in over one scope, when even one of their own distributors has assessed it?
Kind of makes you wonder if this is a potentially larger issue with their scopes.
Let the court decide.
Best of luck.

Reactions: Sandhog308
It's one scope.
Why would they dig their heels in over one scope, when even one of their own distributors has assessed it?
Kind of makes you wonder if this is a potentially larger issue with their scopes.
Let the court decide.
Best of luck.
It’s almost like..... we’re only seeing one side of the story.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
I trust OP.
I trust OP too. It isn't a trust issue. It's that the only thing anyone in this thread has to go on is one person's opinion. The amount of possibilities not visible to that person are endless. It isn't a trust issue.

Why would NF be so reluctant to replace or refund? In the grand scheme of things I’m sure this is peanuts to them. That’s what I don’t get. Been in and out of following this thread since it started. A real wtf situation. Have sent several scopes back myself across multiple manufacturers. None the least bit hesitation to make it right. Not to pass judgment but I’d like to hear the why come from NF. Im sure we all would. Even the OP.

I’m still trying to figure out why the OP would spend $2400 on a scope that retails for $2150?

Reactions: Badjujuu
I purchased this optic over a year ago at a hole in the wall gun store after they first came out. Every other store in the area was out and this store not only had it but gave me a discount. Skeptical but I gladly took it.

For the past year + I have isolated the terrible accuracy problems I have been having to this optic.

I have put it on three of my rifles and they all produce the same results with the NX8.

I have put other optics on the same rifles and had normal good results. Even with cheap $400 scopes instead of the $2400 NX8.

I have had many very experienced shooter’s test it out including one of the accuracy testers at axial precision, and a PRS shooter from this site who won the last competition. Everyone has said the same thing. I couldn’t shoot this bad of a group if I tried.

I have Purchased and tried several different rings and had the same results. The optic has been re-mounted several dozen times including a bunch by a night force dealer using the exact same tools they use set to the same torque settings.

The optic has been back tonight for twice now, only to be sent back as “not defective.”

Night force blamed me, the other gunsmiths, and their own dealer not using proper mounting procedures as the issue. It’s not rocket science. Their dealer mounts hundreds of scopes a year without issue.

Today I took my suppressed Tikka T3 X chambered in .223 out after getting the NX8 back. Same shit as the past year. It really is as if the scope is moving despite everything having been done exactly right countless times. A lot of times I will get two impacts touching or nearly touching, and then one flyer several inches away. Sometimes I will even get a lucky sub MOA group, but the vast majority of the time the groups are between two and 6 inches.

Im not starting this thread to bash any companies or start a fight. I seriously don’t know what else to do at this point and it seems I have a $2400 paperweight.

Night force has said it’s fine twice now and there’s nothing left they can do. Advice?

When they 1st came out I wanted one as I love everything about my NF atacr except the weight. I read about a few cases like yours and also got to thinking how much more they were trying to accomplish than everyone else with their erector system without adding additional space (fatter and/or longer tube). It Sounds to good to be true what they accomplished which means it’s probably not true. Good luck on finding a resolution with NF.

They are a great scope and scope manufacturing company. That is NOT in question here. It's the customer service/support that's being brought in to question. Let's get that straight. Fantastic scopes. No question.

I love NF scopes and as you said the question is why the poor CS in this instance?? Doesn't make sense as many have said..........
hopefully soon the OP will have some answers.

I have a nightforce and love it. I don't know op nor anyone at nf.... that being said as an outsider looking in, a nightforce rep should of came on here to resolve issue in front of an audience. That would boosted sales. By not, I see this hurting their sales. Bad news travels faster than good news. "The customer is always right" pitch comes to mind. Unless the op is hiding something and not truthful, i feel nf owes him no less than double the price of scope due to his loss of time, bullets, gas, stress, legal fees etc.... maybe more. Good luck to all involved. Let the truth prevail always

Why would NF be so reluctant to replace or refund? In the grand scheme of things I’m sure this is peanuts to them. That’s what I don’t get. Been in and out of following this thread since it started. A real wtf situation. Have sent several scopes back myself across multiple manufacturers. None the least bit hesitation to make it right. Not to pass judgment but I’d like to hear the why come from NF. Im sure we all would. Even the OP.

This isn't in defense of NF and shouldn't be taken as such.. but they probably get, what, maybe a hundred calls or emails a week saying "my scope doesn't track" or a line similar to that. When they know they all passed a QC tracking test prior to leaving Idaho. It's probably hard to take all the fudds super-seriously.

I don't think that's the case here and the OP has done a good job of isolating and confirming the issue is with the optic.

Not that it matters, but my experience with NF CS was very professional and personable.

This isn't in defense of NF and shouldn't be taken as such.. but they probably get, what, maybe a hundred calls or emails a week saying "my scope doesn't track" or a line similar to that. When they know they all passed a QC tracking test prior to leaving Idaho. It's probably hard to take all the fudds super-seriously.

I don't think that's the case here and the OP has done a good job of isolating and confirming the issue is with the optic.

Not that it matters, but my experience with NF CS was very professional and personable.

He has and it has everybody thinking wtf NF. This isn’t going to make me stop buying their scopes but I do think a NF rep should giver their two cents.

I do remember not so long ago Cadex had come in to set the record straight on a particular thread that I’m not going to track down to link. A bit of a different situation there though. It’s just something I feel is nice to see as a consumer because it shows our purchases matter and that said manufacturers care about their reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.