• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision It’s coming...

Just sharing something I do to check collimation:

Instead of shooting any rounds, I cowitness a vis laser with the day scope at whatever distance I'm checking out. On the same target, I'll place a thermal target (usually a small square of aluminum foil). Slap on my thermal clip on, with the gun on tripod, point the laser into the center of the foil (confirm this with a separate day optic), look thru in thermal view, and note the shift with the reticle.

This helps with being about to see small shifts (if you care). If you have .2 of shift in the same direction of spin drift, you could be doubling your spin drift effect at 1k, which might start mattering? mileage may vary.

LOVE that idea! I’ve struggled because as soon as you touch the gun and mount the thermal, no matter how tightly you’ve cinched it down, it move.

GREAT idea!!!

LOVE that idea! I’ve struggled because as soon as you touch the gun and mount the thermal, no matter how tightly you’ve cinched it down, it move.

GREAT idea!!!
If you really want to be fine you can make a 2x2 inch square of aluminum foil and center a white paster on it so there's no speckling of the laser

Reactions: TheHorta
Could probably also do a 2x2 foil square with the center 1x1 cut out.

Can some one explain this again for me?
Sounds diabolically simple. My lizard brain is not processing.

Is this it?
Example:

At 300 yards place a target, with a 3” square foil with a 1” circular paper sticker in the dead center.

align visible laser with center of day scopes crosshairs at that distance.

Slap on thermal clippi and point visible laser at dead center of the 1” paper sticker, which you will have to confirm with a separate day optic.

Note the position of your “through the thermal” reticle- which will show you the shift that is about to happen???

Last edited:
Do you want a 300-yard zero?

Laser offset doesn’t factor into checking clipon collimation.

No. I’m just trying to understand what you guys are saying. Seems like a good cheap quiet way to investigate shift.

If the laser is moved to dead nuts center of crosshairs at the given distance, you wouldn’t need to worry about offset.

No. I’m just trying to understand what you guys are saying. Seems like a good cheap quiet way to investigate shift.

If the laser is moved to dead nuts center of crosshairs at the given distance, you wouldn’t need to worry about offset.

Bingo!

For long distance like 500-1000 yards, would the Tigger in front of ATACR 5-25x56 scope provide materially better identification than a IR Hunter 2.5x (or 4.5x version)? This would mainly be for coyotes or Nilgai. Thanks.

For long distance like 500-1000 yards, would the Tigger in front of ATACR 5-25x56 scope provide materially better identification than a IR Hunter 2.5x (or 4.5x version)? This would mainly be for coyotes or Nilgai. Thanks.

Yes. Materially better.

I have a ReapIR v2 60mm (basically an IR Hunter MK III 60mm), a Halo-LR, a UTC-X and Xii, a LWTS-LR, and prettymuch anything else of consequence that has ever existed in the thermal universe.

Aside from the UTC’s, Tigger beats them all.

Yes. Materially better.

I have a ReapIR v2 60mm (basically an IR Hunter MK III 60mm), a Halo-LR, a UTC-X and Xii, a LWTS-LR, and prettymuch anything else of consequence that has ever existed in the thermal universe.

Aside from the UTC’s, Tigger beats them all.
4ucdyr.jpg

One quick question about the TigIR-6Z vs the TigIR-6M. With no reticle on the Z how do you align to the reticle on your scope? Is there a mark available only when in a collimation mode?

One quick question about the TigIR-6Z vs the TigIR-6M. With no reticle on the Z how do you align to the reticle on your scope? Is there a mark available only when in a collimation mode?
It really doesn't do anything to align them. It doesn't collimate the two units to do so.

Reactions: wigwamitus
I suppose the reticle COULD come in handy with collimation, now that I think of it.

You could zero the rifle at (insert zero range here) with both the the scope and Tigger independently. Then move the screen with the reticle to match / overlap the scope reticle.

Would also be easier to check and correct for POA shift at digital magnifications.

Does that make sense to anyone but me.

I suppose the reticle COULD come in handy with collimation, now that I think of it.

You could zero the rifle at (insert zero range here) with both the the scope and Tigger independently. The move the screen with the reticle to match / overlap the scope reticle.

Would also be easier to check and correct for POA shift at digital magnifications.

Does that make sense to anyone but me.
It sounds like you would have to zero the rifle with the tig way out front where it would be in front of a scope to do so, but I am not sure about that.

It should be easy enough to collimate at 50 meters, then check at 100 or whaever, just shoot at a target at 50 without, put it on, measure the difference and use the formula.

This is great if you have a 6M but we can't get those. Since the guide uses the reticle in the 6M, I would think collimating the 6Z needs a different process. Maybe the one discussed previously on post #168.

The collimation issue and the stability of collimation is one that has not been addressed that I have seen
In my conversations with Dr. Andres by email, he said the collimation is the exact same for the two units. I don't think it relies on the reticle at all.

In my conversations with Dr. Andres by email, he said the collimation is the exact same for the two units. I don't think it relies on the reticle at all.
I know you have said that before but the handbook uses it in the procedure it lays out.

Would be nice to see a specific procedure for the 6Z. Would also be nice if Dr. Andres commented on the stability of collimation

Reactions: mikefraz
I know you have said that before but the handbook uses it in the procedure it lays out.

Would be nice to see a specific procedure for the 6Z. Would also be nice if Dr. Andres commented on the stability of collimation
No it doesn't. The reticle you see in the handbook is the day scope reticle. That is why it is visible in the picture without thermal and with.

You re correct...my apologies for the misinterpretation
No worries. I contacted them through the site. He was super responsive. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions.

Reactions: Nik H
I apologize if this has been answered anywhere already, but is the 6Z+ rated for 50bmg?

Last edited:
Well I truly apologize for taking so long on getting this done.

We lost the family dog and my video editor (wife) took it pretty hard. Not to mention 5 days of constant rain, we’ve had horrible conditions.

This is simply something for you guys to look at and see what this amazing little optic looks like. The full review is longer and will provide more details on the collimation process and also something that I’m very excited to share about this TIG!

Thanks
Jay

We lost the family dog and my video editor (wife) took it pretty hard. Not to mention 5 days of constant rain, we’ve had horrible conditions.

This is simply something for you guys to look at and see what this amazing little optic looks like. The full review is longer and will provide more details on the collimation process and also something that I’m very excited to share about this TIG!

Thanks
Jay

Sorry to hear that, my wife had a tough time on our last Dane.

Glad you're hanging in there.

Thanks
Jay

Very nice teaser. Was wondering if you did or plan to do any comparisons of image quality with different mixes of optical and digital magnification. For instance, you can achieve 8X by setting the day-scope at 4X and TigIR at 2X or setting the day-scope at 8X and TigIR at 1X. Same overall magnification but maybe different image quality?

Looking forward to the longer review and the collimation details

Lastly,

VERY SORRY to hear about your dog. Brutally hard to lose a family pet. My condolences to you and your wife!

Reactions: Surgeon_Shooter
Very nice teaser. Was wondering if you did or plan to do any comparisons of image quality with different mixes of optical and digital magnification. For instance, you can achieve 8X by setting the day-scope at 4X and TigIR at 2X or setting the day-scope at 8X and TigIR at 1X. Same overall magnification but maybe different image quality?

Looking forward to the longer review and the collimation details

Lastly,

VERY SORRY to hear about your dog. Brutally hard to lose a family pet. My condolences to you and your wife!
Honestly the digital magnification on this thing is so nice that I do not see myself touching the optical mag ever. On my 3-12 S&B I leave it on 3x and use digimag.

I am doing a comparison of digital vs optical to show the difference but trust me on this, digimag on this thing is stupid nice.

As far as collimation It isn’t hard. I’ve done it several different ways and it’s not all that difficult. Also in my video I’ll tell you all about a trick I’ve learned with this thing that (in my opinion) is more valuable than a collimated optic. Just a couple days and the full video will be here.

Thanks for the kind words about the pup. That’s what pets are good for, making you sad when they’re gone I guess.

thanks
Jay

Sign in if you've been granted access to this video

Thanks
Jay

????

I can’t see that video — no access

Been like that since it was posted

Did anyone else think it seemed like the tig was out of focus In the video?

Did anyone else think it seemed like the tig was out of focus In the video?
I understand what you're saying, however I'm sure it's case of just not be able to fully record, post video and see on our end as it is is person.

I have VERY limited experience using NV/thermal but doing some filming through day optics it can be VERY tough to reproduce what the eye is seeing in person

@TheHorta , I am just now tagging back in to this thread since November and I am thrilled how this all unfolded.

I can't help but find myself literally grinning at the fact you got the only M 😁

• Love
First ones must be landing at Carl’s place about now. Any updates from anyone about shipping?

Ordered/paid for mine in August 2020. Received January 2021.

5 months.

If you had a zolid rig and dope how far away could you hit a piece of steel if it was warm?

Where did you find that little toy?

I still remember the Melioss and then we were issued the Vipers and also had the LRAS.

I finally had some time to play with Tigger. I put it on a piston LMT in front of an Elcan 1.5/6x. It’s a nice, compact combo.

There was ZERO POI shift at 1x (native) magnification. I was center-punching 4-inch AR500 squares at 100 yards with and without the Tig in front of the Elcan — no difference.

At 2x digital zoom on the Tig there was about a 2-MOA POI shift. Still good enough for Gubmint work. At 4x and 6x digital magnification (36x optical equivalent) POI shift was 6-8 MOA.

That was the third optic I tested with little to no shift at 1x. To tighen things up, I’ll need to manually collimate 2x-6x, if I want to use digital magnification (which I do). Overall, I’m pleasantly surprised that I don’t need to collimate at 1x native magnification on the Tig.

Honestly the digital magnification on this thing is so nice that I do not see myself touching the optical mag ever. On my 3-12 S&B I leave it on 3x and use digimag.

I am doing a comparison of digital vs optical to show the difference but trust me on this, digimag on this thing is stupid nice.

As far as collimation It isn’t hard. I’ve done it several different ways and it’s not all that difficult. Also in my video I’ll tell you all about a trick I’ve learned with this thing that (in my opinion) is more valuable than a collimated optic. Just a couple days and the full video will be here.

Thanks for the kind words about the pup. That’s what pets are good for, making you sad when they’re gone I guess.

thanks
Jay
@Surgeon_Shooter what was this "trick"? I've got one inbound...

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I finally had some time to play with Tigger. I put it on a piston LMT in front of an Elcan 1.5/6x. It’s a nice, compact combo.

There was ZERO POI shift at 1x (native) magnification. I was center-punching 4-inch AR500 squares at 100 yards with and without the Tig in front of the Elcan — no difference.

At 2x digital zoom on the Tig there was about a 2-MOA POI shift. Still good enough for Gubmint work. At 4x and 6x digital magnification (36x optical equivalent) POI shift was 6-8 MOA.

That was the third optic I tested with little to no shift at 1x. To tighen things up, I’ll need to manually collimate 2x-6x, if I want to use digital magnification (which I do). Overall, I’m pleasantly surprised that I don’t need to collimate at 1x native magnification on the Tig.
Have you had an opportunity to measure POI shift with a 2X digital and some analog magnification?

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Right on. I read through the thread the other month and just figured I’d do a quick ask to see any updates.

May need to try and find one of these....

Thank you.

@Surgeon_Shooter what was this "trick"? I've got one inbound...
So sorry guys, I’ve been covered with builds. I literally have 25 pvs-24’s I’m re tubing and working on as well as a bunch of other complex builds.

I have my poor wife gasping for air as well with invoices and orders so she hasn’t gotten around to getting the video I recorded edited yet either but I’ll try and make time for her so she can get it to you guys. It would be better if you just watched the video instead of me trying to type it here. I’m no public speaker but not a typing pro either haha

thanks
Jay