• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing J-Lock pondering

GasLight

That Guy
Banned !
Minuteman
Other than the J-Lock being heinously ugly, the main issue to my understanding is that the damn spring creates binding issues and perhaps inconsisten striking. Looking at the two side by side, I am wondering if you could just use a spring off the non ISS system and at least have a more consistent strike. Anyone try this yet?

Dave

2yy75te.jpg

Re: J-Lock pondering

Also, the springs appear to be nearly the same weight, so wondering if it could simply be cut down to avoid the binding? I am wondering if there is some reason they need a stronger spring on the ISS system vs the standard one.

Dave

That won't help you. The reason it binds is the firing pin is tapered. The non J-Lock pin is straight and gives full support to the spring.

Look at the fireing pin shaft under the spring. The springs are most likly identical. The problem with the j-lock is that remmy thought they needed to lighten the fireing pin so they made the dia. under the spring smaller, so now the spring is allowed to twist up, ie not contained. look at the new assembly and the spring is contained by a full dia. pin that has been fluted to save weight. thus the full dia. pin containes the spring. Look close and this will be obvious to you.

I know you can change the j lock unit out for the origional type. Any recommendations on an good upgranded unit & where to find it?

Update:
Just looked at Bownells. They have speedlock firing pins. Has anyone used these lightweight parts, and how well do they actually work?

I have the complete Speedlock drop in assembly, it works great! I also noticed that it improved the trigger pull on my rifle, which I think is due to the precision ground cocking piece that the Speedlock unit comes with.

I've used the lightweight aluminum or titanium firing pin assemblies for awhile. I recently started to offer installing them as a service.

I think they are an improvement and so do the people I've sold them to. Everyone who dry fires my rifles notices the difference.

Be careful, they're not always drop in. Firing pin protrusion must be measured.