• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Jack Reacher,

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    For philosophical reasons, mister Cruise hasn't been my favorite actor for some years now. But I will say that this latest 'preview' that we just saw, regarding this "Jack Reacher" movie, seems quite interesting AND entertaining.

IIRC, he was an Army MP who has gone rogue, with hints of "Taken" included. It does allude to something promising.

Them're my thoughts, anyways.

Re: Jack Reacher,

The books were great. I just can't see Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher though. Dwayne the rock Johnson would have been a good choice.

Oh, God. someone chose (or he chose himself) CRUISE? That guy is what, 5 foot 2?
    Reacher is huge, built more like the Rock, and a little taller. He also exudes a presence that Cruise just doesn't have. Lee Child must have given entire control over to someone else because this is NOT going to be Reacher.
    BTW, Reacher doesn't go rogue, he just "goes". You have to read the series to get this. Read them as issued, rather than in chronological order. Very good series, and although a Brit, Mr Child gets a lot right about life in the US Mil, and
    most of it right about firearms. Reacher also takes no shit. Ever.

I've enjoyed all the Jack Reacher novels... but Tom Cruise? Really? The guy needs platform shoes to order from Taco Bell.

Here is a clip from the movie. You decide if he makes a good Jack Reacher:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Puor6BqDHj4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Puor6BqDHj4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I was kind of looking forward to the Reacher series being made into movies until I found out that it's starring Tom Cruise...

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, God. someone chose (or he chose himself) CRUISE? That guy is what, 5 foot 2?
    Reacher is huge, built more like the Rock, and a little taller. He also exudes a presence that Cruise just doesn't have. Lee Child must have given entire control over to someone else because this is NOT going to be Reacher.
    BTW, Reacher doesn't go rogue, he just "goes". You have to read the series to get this. Read them as issued, rather than in chronological order. Very good series, and although a Brit, Mr Child gets a lot right about life in the US Mil, and
    most of it right about firearms. Reacher also takes no shit. Ever. </div></div>

+1
    Its gonna be tough but I'll go see it any way. I was rooting for Hugh Jackman....with a bit of a Wolverine beard thing going.

Reacher is supposed to be like a white man version of the Rock. Read the books, they are excellent. As mentioned above, his accuracy on weapons is one of the things I most enjoy. He is rarely off, even listing small things that only users of some weapon systems would understand.

From Wikipedia:
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-style: italic"> <span style="font-weight: bold">Reacher is 6' 5" tall (1.96m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 210 and 250 pounds (100–115 kg). He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair </span> </span> </div></div>

Yep... Sounds just like Tom Cruise! lol

I'm a fan of Lee child's books and always figured Dolph Lundgren would pass for a halfway decent Jack Reacher? Soooooo disappointed to see who got the nod. What a douche maneuver...

Just read his second to last book, (the last is either just out or pending) and it includes a Reacher short story,from Reacher's childhood as a military dependent.
    It shows that Lee Child has done some thinking about "how did Reacher get this way, and what kind of early influences affect his approach now?" showing his innate ability to think beyond the obvious, and adding his ability to observe and learn was a good move by Child, and helps develop Reacher's mystique.

I really enjoy the Jack Reacher series and was really dissapointed to see Tom Cruise in this role. It really should be someone more physically imposing. I agree with the choice of The Rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shulette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always thought it should be someone like Sam Elliot when he was in his prime. </div></div>

You do realize he is height challenged as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 02Silver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shulette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always thought it should be someone like Sam Elliot when he was in his prime. </div></div>

You do realize he is height challenged as well? </div></div>
    6' 2"

When I first heard about the movie, damn I was happy. Then I heard that its Tom Cruise. I can't find the words
    frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a fan of Lee child's books and always figured Dolph Lundgren would pass for a halfway decent Jack Reacher? Soooooo disappointed to see who got the nod. What a douche maneuver... </div></div>

I agree on Dolph, correct height and weight. I would prefer Samuel Jackson to Tom Cruise. I still cant understand how even Hollywood can justify ruining such an awesome character.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: win70chris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a fan of Lee child's books and always figured Dolph Lundgren would pass for a halfway decent Jack Reacher? Soooooo disappointed to see who got the nod. What a douche maneuver... </div></div>

I agree on Dolph, correct height and weight. I would prefer Samuel Jackson to Tom Cruise. I still cant understand how even Hollywood can justify ruining such an awesome character. </div></div>

Because Hollywood knows 99% of the people out there have no idea about Jack Reacher books and those same people will go see a "Tom Cruise" movie solely because he's in it. It's a disgrace.

Ugg, the movie looks so good/fun but I fucking HATE Tom Cruise and don't want to support his ass...

Quandary

They missed a chance to make an unknown hulk of an actor into the next big star. The books easily have enough of a following to make the movie a hit. Using 5-6 160 pound Tom Cruise is the worst casting choice I have ever imagined. Child's says that the character of Reacher is more than just size and that Tom has the intensity to make it work. The problem I see with the previews is that Reacher does not own a muscle car or a leather jacket. Reacher crushes a huge Russian bad guy in the book, I dont see Cruise crushing anything larger than a Coke can.

Why not Gerard Butler? Kind of short but at least built.