• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Jack Reacher

kellogg2185

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Already disappointed by the previews, from seeing Tom Cruise as "Jack Reacher". I've been a fan of these books for quite some time now, and they seem to have missed a big part of the story. In the books, Jack Reacher is 6'5" or so, 230ish, and has a grizzled older man sort of look. He's a skilled brawler through experience, and growing up as an Army brat, moving from base to base all over the world, fighting locals. The midget prettyboy look of Tom Cruise sort of... entirely tosses that aside. Not sure if they're hoping to boost ticket sales from non-readers, or what, but they would have been spot on with Stone Cold, and probably saved a penny or two... All my whining aside, I'm still going to go see it. After the delayed release, that is. Probably do a two-fer, and see Zero Dark Thirty the same day.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kK7y8Ou0VvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Re: Jack Reacher

one of the things i saw on a commercial for it, is they claim TC is a professional driver...he can also act...so maybe in the studios mind, it was better to have an actor/driver rather than finding a driver and teaching him to act or vice versa.

also, i know nothing about the books as mentioned in a previous response.

nicholas cage is a driver / actor.
(imo : a un talented ass clown , acting wise)
But a great example that dual credentials shouldnt solely earn you a part.
TC does great as a spy .
I have no doubt this movie will have the same feel for me that I had with mark walberg in "SHOOTER".

I haven't seen it but I am visualizing something like his character in Collateral.

Can't see him as Reacher but maybe the movie will be entertaining. I'll go see it when I get the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nicholas cage is a driver / actor.
(imo : a un talented ass clown , acting wise)
</div></div>

Based on his newer movies I would tend to agree, but if you've ever seen 8mm or Snake Eyes then you might change your mind. The beginning 25 minutes of Snake Eyes was one continuous shot and watching someone remember all those lines and not screw anything up for that long is very impressive to say the least. I don't think many people could have pulled it off.

My wife and I went to see Jack Reacher last night . I've read all the books and I'm not a big Cruise fan, so I expected it to be all screwed up, Hollywood style. My wife was really tired so she figured she would fall asleep going to one of "my" movies (we take turns picking movies).

She was surprised as she really go into the mystery of it. She really liked the movie. For the most part, they stayed pretty close to the character and didn't add a lot of unwritten Hollywood action scenes. They strayed a bit here and there, but hey, they only have 2 hours to fit it all in. All and all, in my opinion, they did a good job. If you've read the books, or even if you haven't, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Cruise = $$$ Period.

I had a hard time with that too after reading the books, but one of the earlier posters said something about acting skills. If an unknown had taken the role, it may have been bad (like the acting in Shooter). As it turned out, they took a lemon (Cruises' stature) and made some pretty good lemonade. Give it a try, you may like the taste. Sort of like having a thing for blondes, and believing nothing else can come close. Sometimes a brunette can be pretty damn good...

The movie was GREAT. It is ACTING guys. The fight scenes were awesome. LOVED the movie.

An old vet was in the back of the theatre an very vocal about the movie. He loved it.

I say go. GO SEE IT.

I enjoyed it. Cruise did a damn good job. There were some mistake, such as Reachers description of how a sniper trains, but overall, a darn good movie. Robert Duvall was great in it, as usual. The Lady attorney was easy on the eyes, and I had no idea She was British until seeing an interview on youtube.

Oh, I'm definitely going to see it, no questions. Just was getting $.02 worth of whining in. But as far as TC being a pro driver, that also goes against the books, hahaha... In the books, Reacher isn't a very confident driver. They mention that several times. Also that he looks like an unkempt drifter... decidedly not like Cruise. But I'm gonna get the sand out, and go see it.

Saw it today. Never read the books so i had no expectations. Found it very entertaining. Not the best movie i have ever seen but i really liked it.

+1 (Kudos MGD) on Nick Cage being an Ass Clown who couldn't act his way out of parking ticket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously though, has Tom Cruise played anything but a super spy killing machine in the past 10 years? What is this, his like 6th film in a row? </div></div>

Last Samurai..i wouldn't say he's not a killing machine but he's definitely no spy in that one
wink.gif
honestly thought he should've gotten an oscar for it, that's one hell of a movie.

I haven't read any of the Jack Reacher series, so Cruise palying the role didn't annoy me as much as it may have if I had read them. I'm a big Michael Connelly fan, and am trying to picture who they might have playing Harry Bosch, the main character in most of his books. Can't think of a single actor that'd really fit, and for me that will destroy any movie that might get done in this series. Yeah, I can see where Lee Child fans who've read the series might have an issue with this.

As for Cruise, he pulled the role off very well, and the movie was great. Duvall always really makes a movie, and was very good here, as usual. I'd say it's worth a look, and if you haven't read the Lee Child books, you'll love it. If you can get past Cruise playing a role that didn't fit the description in the books, you'll still enjoy it. Hey, we put up with Willem DaFoe playing the retired SEAL in Clancy's books, and he didn't fit either.

As for my favorite detective Harry Bosch, I see his character as a Sean Connery sort. I always thought Conneley's books would have been a money series. Just started Black Box tonite. Harry is the man. The last of the detectives that carry the responsibility to speak for the dead.
Yes Lee Childs Jack Reacher is a Mountian of a man. I do have to admit that it is Cruises stature that is preventing me from seeing the flick.

No, definately not Connery. Too old at this point, and even when he was younger, he's <span style="text-decoration: underline">way</span> too big. Bosch was a tunnel rat in Nam, and Connely describes him as a smaller guy. Imposing command presence, but physically, a smaller guy.

I've heard people banter about names like Sean Penn, which would absolutely turn my stomach. No, I wouldn't even bother going if they did that. Tough call, and I can't think of anyone who really "fits" the literary character that Connelly's created in him.

I went and saw Reacher last night. I am reading the books and Cruise is not Jack Reacher. The movie was worth seeing and if it takes Cruise to get it done I am OK with it.

finally saw it, not bad at all, a few dumb dialog here and there but worth thr price to see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jahmby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 (Kudos MGD) on Nick Cage being an Ass Clown who couldn't act his way out of parking ticket. </div></div>

Some of his early stuff was OK, lately, not so much. However, I can't knock the guy too much. I had a welcome home party at a strip club when I got back from Iraq ( Gulf war) with a group of friends. Cage came in the place and asked the waitress what was going on with my group. Once he found out he sent over free beer. I went over to thank him and shot the shit with him for a few minutes, he seemed like an OK guy but the waitresses did mention he was trying pick them all up.

I saw the movie X-mas day. Cruise does a good job, even though he is vertically challenged. Its definitely worth seeing on the big screen. Robert Duvall also does a great job.

Jeffvn

Saw it this weekend with the wife. She has read a few of the Reacher books, but I have not. I really enjoyed the movie. Cruise is not the problem in the movie. The female lead actress was terrible. All others did a great job. The wife liked it too, but was hung up a minor details (shopping at goodwill).

Even by not reading the book, there is no way TC walks into any bar/dance club in the U.S. and is the tallest person there. That made me laugh.

I recommend it as a solid movie, worth a view at the theater and definately a must rent.

Saw it today, good entertainment, wish Hollywood could at least get the lingo down correctly. Otherwise worth the 5.50 I paid to see it. Robert Duvall always brings something to a movie worth seeing.

I thought it was really good. I am kind of a newbie but wasn't his prone position wrong when he was shooting at Duvall's range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Thomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, definately not Connery. Too old at this point, and even when he was younger, he's <span style="text-decoration: underline">way</span> too big. Bosch was a tunnel rat in Nam, and Connely describes him as a smaller guy. Imposing command presence, but physically, a smaller guy.

I've heard people banter about names like Sean Penn, which would absolutely turn my stomach. No, I wouldn't even bother going if they did that. Tough call, and I can't think of anyone who really "fits" the literary character that Connelly's created in him. </div></div>

I could see more of a Dustin Hoffman type, if he were a few years younger, or even someone like Paul Newman. It seems we have fewer good character actors these days, though.

I thought Ray Stevenson would have been a better choice. He has films like Punisher: War Zone, Book of Eli, and The Other Guys, under his belt.
fhd010TOG_Ray_Stevenson_003.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CdnGeo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought it was really good. I am kind of a newbie but wasn't his prone position wrong when he was shooting at Duvall's range? </div></div>

In the book, that's how the gun shop owner (Duvall) recognized who he was due to seeing his unorthodox prone position, as the shop owner had seen him previously shoot for the Wimbledon Cup. That scene of the movie slipped by a little fast for me, I don't remember if Duvall mentioned the unorthodox position as being how he recognized him, but he did call him by the name Jack Reacher right after the shooting sequence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papa Zero Three</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a welcome home party at a strip club.... but the waitresses did mention he was trying pick them all up. </div></div>

Of course he was. I pursued strippers with dedication throughout my 20's, with some success. Everybody's gotta have a hobby.

I'll probably go see the movie, but I don't think of Reacher as Cruise. Too short, for one thing, but he just doesn't have that air of coiled meanness I'd expect from the character after reading the books. More like James Arness?

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Ray Stevenson would have been a better choice. He has films like Punisher: War Zone, Book of Eli, and The Other Guys, under his belt.
fhd010TOG_Ray_Stevenson_003.jpg
</div></div>

+1

He was awesome in the HBO series Rome too.

Funny, i just learned that the sound effects that were used for the scene where he's reloading came from my buddy using my gear I had stashed at his house
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny, i just learned that the sound effects that were used for the scene where he's reloading came from my buddy using my gear I had stashed at his house
smile.gif
</div></div> Excellent! Your reloading gear may win an Oscar!

I liked the movie, but for once I wish the movies would get the investigative functions in the Army correct.
MPs - Don't really have a law enforcement function. Haven't since the 1980s.
MPI - MPs assigned to investigate misedmeanor offenses.
CID - Investigate felony offenses.
Contrary to the movies and the show NCIS, CID does not have any Officers that are investigators. CID only has about half enlisted and half warrants. No MP officers are investigators.
The only movie to get this right is "No Way Out", set in Vietnam. THe old time CID guys say that movie is very accurate.
Just a pet peeve of mine.
Cruise is a total wack job in his personal life, but a great actor.

I learned long ago to not pay attention to reviews. Too many times I have seen bad reviews but I enjoyed the movie anyway. Jesse

I have never read the books, so I didn't have any thoughts on what it should have been.
It was an easy movie to watch, and hey you can't beat a good car chase with a muscle car. I also liked the sexual tension Tom created with the blond co star, kinda Top Gun ish.
My wife doesn't like these type of movies so I took my 17 year old daughter.
Two movie tickets, large popcorn and a large pop, $33.00
Seeing an action movie with my oldest daugter, Priceless.
Scott

I liked the movie. It kept my interest and lots of cool guns. But its kinda ironic that this movie was made by all the Hollywood people that want to take away all my guns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I liked the movie. It kept my interest and lots of cool guns. But its kinda ironic that this movie was made by all the Hollywood people that want to take away all my guns</div></div> Not Robert Duvall. He's second amendment friendly, as far as I can tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[/quote]
I could see more of a Dustin Hoffman type, if he were a few years younger, or even someone like Paul Newman. It seems we have fewer good character actors these days, though. </div></div>

Hoffman's actually a bit closer to Connolly's description, but I don't think he could pull off Bosch's intensity or command presence. Besides, he's a raving anti NRA little douche bag, and that would really turn me off. I don't have any real answer for this one either. No one really seems to fit this role today.

ArmaHeavy,

You're on to something here. As I said, I haven't read the books, but from everyone who has, their description of Reacher could have fit very nicely with Ray Stevenson. He was awesome in the latest season of Dexter, and played a bad ass to the bone, truly scary Russian mafia boss. I think he would have nailed it perfectly.

I could give a crap about the movie and Tom Cruise. You guys got me wanting to read the books.