• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JAG Magazine Conversion Kit

CamW

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2004
Out West
A few of you have posted questions about the JAG Magazine conversion kit, so BOLO and I decided to start a thread and answer some of your questions.

The JAG Magazine conversion kit allows the use of Ruger Mini 14 magazines in a Remington 700 in .223.The kit consists of a mag guide,mag catch, and nose piece.It attaches to the factory BDL triggerguard. No modifications to the stock are needed.Some machining of the receiver is required in the feed rails for the magazines lips to clear the receiver.The lips of the magazine need to be spread open to about .540 to allow the rounds to be high enough for the bolt to pick them up. The modified magazines will still function in a Mini 14.

Why use Mini 14 mags instead of M-16 mags? The Mini 14 mags are narrow enough to fit in the factory BDL triggerguard. M-16 mags are wider and would have required a new triggerguard and modifications to the stock.

Is it practical? For the type of shooting we use it for,ground squirrel hunting, it works great! For walk around hunting , we load up 3 or 4 mags and off we go.
One of these days I'm going to try using it at a match.

jagsamplecopyba0.jpg

Upper left: JAG kit in HS Precision stock with 20 round mag.
Upper right: Photo showing cuts in receiver. They're on the left side of the feed rails.
Lower left: Jag kit attached to receiver.
Lower right: Kit insalled with 20 round mag.

vssinfield0uy.jpg

Here's a right handed 700 in a McMillan Marksman stock with 20 round mag.

lh2234zi.jpg

lh223cu1ry.jpg

Here's a left handed 700 in a McMillan A3 with 20 round mag.

Re: JAG Magazine Conversion Kit

Here are some more photos of the JAG kit with different capacity mags.These are all factory Ruger mags.

jagwnomagtm9.jpg

No mag.

jagw5rndzl2.jpg

5 round mag.

jagw5rndgriptg1.jpg

5 round mag with home made exteded grip.

jagw10rndcc1.jpg

10 round mag. When is the last time you saw a factory 10 rounder? A Ruger rep said they haven't been made since the late 70's.

jagw20rndbo6.jpg

20 round mag. This is the most useful size.

jagw30rndju0.jpg

30 round mag. Looks cool, but is absolutely useless in the field or bench.

Here's a couple of different angles.

jag5rndlowcloseupoi5.jpg

5 round mag.

jag20rnd34viewjz6.jpg

20 round mag.

Here's something to think about, a 20 round mag will hold 9 rounds of 6BR or 7 rounds of 243WSSM.
jag6brwssm2lj0.jpg

jag6brwssm1ao8.jpg

Other calibers to consider, 204 Ruger, 300 Whisper, 7 TCU, 6x45.

One more thing, a Badger Ordnance DM triggerguard is wide enough for a M-16 mag. The M-16 mag being wider, you would have to remove a LOT more metal from the receiver to clear the feed lips.
badgerar15magju2.jpg

So, there it is.
Any questions , ask away!

Whats the longest OAL of cartridge that would work with this system? Can you have rounds longer than what would fit in factory internal mag?

The system won't allow rounds any longer than the factory internal magazine.Ruger Mini 14 mags and M-16 mags are the same for cartridge OAL.

Excellent presentation! Can you do the machining or provide the blueprints for doing it?

I'm really interested in this mag system for my PSS in .223.

Here's my question:

jagsamplecopyba0.jpg

Once the reciever has been modified for the Mini-14 mags will the original BDL follower still work if I remove the mag system and re-install the original floor plate, spring and follower?

<span style="font-style: italic">Just in case I decide to sell the rifle...... </span>
wink.gif

Thanks!

rich56,
The kit comes with drawings and dimensions of how much metal to remove.They're pretty simple cuts, a good machinist can do it on a mill.

VSP969,
The original follower will not work after the cuts have been made, the opening will be too wide to hold the follower in.

On magazines, it is strongly recommended to use only Ruger factory magazines. They are made of good steel and very consistent dimentions, mainly the position of the locking plate.The lips of the magazine will have to be spread open to about .540 to allow the round to sit high enough for the bolt to pick it up. Stay away from USA brand magazines, the steel is very soft. PMI mags work OK and Pro Mags look OK but we haven't tested them very much.If you do use an aftermarket brand,use all the same brand of mag, so the length of the mag catch can be fitted to the magazines.

Here's a photo from a recent squirrel shoot.

lh223lastsqrlhi2.jpg

I like this system better than the Badger just because the release lever doesn't hang down as far. In fact I'm already thinking the lever could be trimmed back a bit and one of those hammer-extenders for a Contender or Levergun could be fitted to make the lever wider. The system looks well-executed.

How much does one of these cost?

Has anybody else then CamW used them?

Can I just send my rifle off and have this conversion done, the machine work done to the action and the kit installed? If so...Where?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I just send my rifle off and have this conversion done, the machine work done to the action and the kit installed? If so...Where?</div></div> Contact Randy "HateCA" @ R&D Precision for the installation.

http://rdprecision.net/contact.html

Have a good one,
F.T.K.

This conversion makes me giddy. I'm off to find a used .223 Remmy.

laugh.gif

Very good conversion. Props to BOLO? & CamW for the ingenuity.

CHRIS

The kit is BOLO's idea.Pretty good for a milkman with no engineering or machining background.He had a local gunsmith help him with the prototypes.I was lucky enough to be around when he thought it up. Somehow I got put in charge of marketing.

I got my left hand .223 ( the one pictured in the first post) back from GAP chambered in .223 Ackley Improved, the fireformed cases with the 40 degree shoulder feed just great! We were worried that the improved cases might not feed properly, but its working fine.The fireforming loads are shooting under 1/2", I'm still working up loads with the formed brass.

I finally got some blood on the GAP 223 Ackley, it's shooting great!This one was about 140 yards, berger 55 gr. Varmint bullet at 3475 FPS.

Oh! Must have. I have a custom 6BR built on a model 7. Will the conversion work in a model 7??? Randy? Bueller, Bueller.....

shakey yankee,
Is the action screw spacing the same as a Model 700 and does a 700 BDL triggerguard fit on the Model 7? If so ,it might work.

shakey yankee,
I borrowed a Model 7 and the hole spacing for the action screws is different than a Model 700. The bottom metal on the Model 7 is also different and won't work with the kit .

Very cool Cameron and Bolo. Looks outstanding! I'd get one if I had 700 in 223..

Now if you can figure out how to make it work on savage 10fp 308.... (pref with HK mags!) I dunno why all the other aftermarket 308 conversions use expensive hard to find mags, when HK mags are EVERYWHERE and cheap too?!

Drop me a line when ya get it figured out!
grin.gif

Damn, been wantin to build a 223 bolt gun anyway. This will be on hold for awhile..... Thanks Cam

glad to see this resurface, are there any left? i'd like to get one if they are still 150.

Reds,
Bolo is the guy that makes them, he in the middle of another run of kits, he should have them available soon.

Gun Tech,
It should work with the 6.8, haven't tried it though.If you have a Mini 14 magazine, put some 6.8 rounds in it and see how the rounds stack.

Ratbert: I seem to remember being told that Factory Ruger mags work best with the conversion. You might want to shoot CamW a PM to confirm this.

I've seen this conversion up close; it's quality all the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rich56,
On magazines, it is strongly recommended to use only Ruger factory magazines. They are made of good steel and very consistent dimentions, mainly the position of the locking plate. Stay away from USA brand magazines, the steel is very soft. PMI mags work OK and Pro Mags look OK but we haven't tested them very much.If you do use an aftermarket brand,use all the same brand of mag, so the length of the mag catch can be fitted to the magazines. </div></div>

Yeah, I saw that about the factory mags but obviously 10rd factory mags aren't really going to be practical to come by. I was just wondering if in the intervening time since this was written anyone had tested the Pro Mags very much.

Also how tough is it to remove the 5 rd mags? Do they just fall free or do you have to push them out from above?

Ratbert,
The Pro Mags lock in the rifle just as well as the factory mags. I tweeked the lips a bit and they are feeding OK, I just need to play with them a little more. I've been testing 20 round Pro Mags,haven't tried the 10's.
The 5 round mags aren't hard to get out unless you have big fingers,just hit the release lever and grab the front of the mag and pull down.I think its harder getting 5 rounders into the rifle,which is why I built the extended grip you see in the pictures above.

Thanks for the link and info CamW.. I am now on the hunt for a decent used 700 in .223 or if I can find an SPS in .223 I'll get one soon.. I did see a few last month at a local sporting goods store, I think they were around $500.00 or less?? That kit will definately make it practical.. With all the AR's and other bolt guns I got, do I need it?? NO. Do I want it?? YES... Nice job guys.. Jeff

Hi what sized mags are available for a mini 30 the cases are similar in size to 6.8spc cases. also if they have 20rd mags for 7.62X39 might be able to get 10 6mm br's into it. where is the best place to get mags.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Wild_Bill,
Pro Mag lists a steel 10 round Mini 30 mag on their website,no 20's.Midway USA has 10 and 20 round Pro Mag .223 mags and the 10 round Mini 30 Pro Mag. For factory 20's ,you'll have to look around. I saw factory 20's a a recent gunshow going for $45-55.
John Masen mags are a little longer front to back than factory mags,they're real tight in the gun. I would stay away from those.

Just wondering if anyone has done a conversion on the 6.8spc yet? I'm thinking that with the recent large volume of these that hit the HIDE.....maybe we could get a large group of guys wanting to do a conversion? I'm curious and would like to get an idea on pricing and particulars.

I'm not sure what happened to the Feb delivery of the next units. Cam_W's been great about answering q's but if you want to actually order you've got to get a hold of BOLO and I don't know of anyone who's gotten a response out of him in the last couple of months.

Or did I just miss out on getting an order in somehow?

Guys,
The shop that's making the kits for BOLO is backed up, BOLO's been trying to get a firmer delivery date from them.I'll post here when he has an answer.
Thanks for your patience.