• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jill's dissertation dissed

So @hlee, you are saying to got your PhD in a couple years and off you went???
99B26337-21C1-422C-9D44-1FEB45A0FFB6.jpeg

But, in point of fact; I walked into my PI’s office, dropped a draft of my thesis on his desk, and said “I’m graduating this semester...”

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
@hlee - what are you higher and deeper in?

Just curious.
I worked for a couple PhDs in college.
Both brilliant, one was next level genius. Got her second doctorate at 42..... could deliver a 90 minute pharmacology lecture without notes.
Knew she didnt have the personality for dealing with whiny patients, so she taught.
I can imagine how millenial types do in her classes.
She was a hardass to a smartass (me) but also worked her butt off to make sure students knew their stuff, even if they struggled. Lots of extra time helping and answering questions.

I still have a lot of respect for her, as a person and professor.

Reactions: Maxwell

Just curious.
Both brilliant, one was next level genius. Got her second doctorate at 42..... could deliver a 90 minute pharmacology lecture without notes.
Knew she didnt have the personality for dealing with whiny patients, so she taught.
She was a hardass to a smartass (me) but also worked her butt off to make sure students knew their stuff, even if they struggled. Lots of extra time helping and answering questions.

THat was a good one. I found more professors who were willing to help at the community college than at UVA.

Some here paint with such a wide brush.

A PhD and EdD are not really that different. One is a very specific field of study while the other (Education Doctorate) is spread into several categories up education...K-12 or Higher Ed. The Higher Ed can be curriculum development , leadership etc...

The process is very similar... about 3-4 years of course work....proposal...proposal defense...chapters 1-3 defense and final dissertation defense.

It really is not a joke for those in the Ed. Doctorate. Mine was about 7-7 1/2 years of full on work in the leadership program.

I do NOT know about Bidens line of study but i sweated out my dissertation for about 3-3 1/2 years for the full process. The final defense was in front of a full room and was about 3 hours of the worst grilling i had ever encountered in over 15 yes of LEO work.

Remember there are some among us in this site that are trying to better the system (Education) but the ONLY way that can happen is for us to be experienced and carry the education to get to the levels to change it from within.

Some here paint with such a wide brush.

A PhD and EdD are not really that different. One is a very specific field of study while the other (Education Doctorate) is spread into several categories up education...K-12 or Higher Ed. The Higher Ed can be curriculum development , leadership etc...

The process is very similar... about 3-4 years of course work....proposal...proposal defense...chapters 1-3 defense and final dissertation defense.

It really is not a joke for those in the Ed. Doctorate. Mine was about 7-7 1/2 years of full on work in the leadership program.

I do NOT know about Bidens line of study but i sweated out my dissertation for about 3-3 1/2 years for the full process. The final defense was in front of a full room and was about 3 hours of the worst grilling i had ever encountered in over 15 yes of LEO work.

Remember there are some among us in this site that are trying to better the system (Education) but the ONLY way that can happen is for us to be experienced and carry the education to get to the levels to change it from within.
Well said. The damage the commies have done to academia is one of the things that really depresses me. Talking to folks while out canvassing, or even on here, about how their children sadly wound up libtarded. Where’s a Joe McCarthy when you need one ? We made fun of Democrats where I grew up! Yes, even as kids. I’m 26 now and it’s still the same way down there, damn near got beat to death for jokingly accusing my uncle of voting Obama lol

Just curious.

PhD- Learning more and more about less and less, until you know everything about nothing. Well, you asked...

Biochemistry. My graduate work dealt with the fidelity of a specific DNA polymerase (pol). Kinetics of incorporation, disassociation constants for both correct and incorrect incorporations.

Why does a pol put a T opposite an A (for example), and if it “knows” to do this, why do polynerases make mistakes?
Enzymes don’t have brains and don’t “know“ anything. Their action is purely a function of the relative concentrations of their substrates in solution. We can force errors and also calculate the error rate based on the relative concentration of substrates and the kinetics of incorporation.

What happens when we introduce non-natural nucleobases into the DNA strand (like age-related DNA damage)?
The effect can be an increase in the frequency of errors (potentially a dramatic increase). That’s “mutation” for those following along at home.

What about feeding the polymerase un-natural nucleotide triphosphates, like anti-retroviral drugs?
Some drugs can cause massive shifts in error formation, and we can predict the toxicity of these types of drugs via an enzyme assay.

Does this polymerase have activity that we don’t currently know about? As it turns out, it does. It has a low level proofreading function that was previously unknown. It can correct it’s own mistakes.

I don’t know that my thesis is chock-a-block full of typographical errors, but I am sure that some remain. I didn’t do what many do, and just staple my journal articles together and add a table of contents. It is really a good read, if you’re an insomniac. Best medicine for that condition that can be described. Trust me. I’m a doctor...

PhD- Learning more and more about less and less, until you know everything about nothing. Well, you asked...

Biochemistry. My graduate work dealt with the fidelity of a specific DNA polymerase (pol). Kinetics of incorporation, disassociation constants for both correct and incorrect incorporations.

Why does a pol put a T opposite an A (for example), and if it “knows” to do this, why do polynerases make mistakes?
Enzymes don’t have brains and don’t “know“ anything. Their action is purely a function of the relative concentrations of their substrates in solution. We can force errors and also calculate the error rate based on the relative concentration of substrates and the kinetics of incorporation.

What happens when we introduce non-natural nucleobases into the DNA strand (like age-related DNA damage)?
The effect can be an increase in the frequency of errors (potentially a dramatic increase). That’s “mutation” for those following along at home.

What about feeding the polymerase un-natural nucleotide triphosphates, like anti-retroviral drugs?
Some drugs can cause massive shifts in error formation, and we can predict the toxicity of these types of drugs via an enzyme assay.

Does this polymerase have activity that we don’t currently know about? As it turns out, it does. It has a low level proofreading function that was previously unknown. It can correct it’s own mistakes.

I don’t know that my thesis is chock-a-block full of typographical errors, but I am sure that some remain. I didn’t do what many do, and just staple my journal articles together and add a table of contents. It is really a good read, if you’re an insomniac. Best medicine for that condition that can be described. Trust me. I’m a doctor...

iu

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76

Now I need some motrin and a drinky or 3.

Damn.

Insisting on being called “Doctor” when you don’t heal people is, among most holders of doctorates, seen as a gauche, silly, cringey ego trip.

The above statement is false. Every PhD level professor at every college and university is properly referred to as doctor, or perhaps professor- regardless of their field of study. Is it cringy and gauche to insist that peers refer to you as doctor? I’d say yes. But, it is in no way inappropriate to refer to a PhD holder as doctor.

But, hell, my Jiu jitsu instructor is addressed as professor...

I heard it ...C- = MD

But I disagree with some of what you say. Just like in every trade there are those who should be sweeping the floor, a lot who are good mechanics, and a few who are artisans.

And what knowledge are some Phd. dissertations contributing...The Importance of Penis Length in the Extinct Dodo.....UmmmmmOk.
Most birds don’t have penises. Both male and female birds have a cloaca from which they do all of their business “down there.” But, ducks, however, not only have penises, they have really big penises- some can be longer than their entire body length. And, the more fierce the competition for mates, the bigger their penis gets. And to top it all off, the female reproductive tract is super long too; and it’s full of twists and cul-de-sacs meant to make reproduction more difficult for the male.

Why do I know this? Because the government paid for a study and the results were widely published in the main stream media? Why would the government pay? Because you really don’t know where the next really important discovery will come from? Why would someone study this? There are a myriad of reasons, but 2 that come to mind are; the cause and effect relationship male/female sexual anatomy and the battle for mates has implications in evolution. And, understanding their biology could have implications in rescuing an endangered species. Beyond that, because you don’t think it is directly important to your life, doesn’t mean that the knowledge is worthless, or even worth less...

Reactions: TriggerJerk!
^ Replied post above - Maggot stated about not calling Doctorate Professor Doctor due to them not healing people...

I completely disagree... i will state my reason in just a bit. I do NOT have my students call me Doctor as I got my degree for me, NOT for anyone else. I ised all the hate from teachers in my past to achieve it. As i grew up in this messed up edicational system, I had teachers that I disagreed with tell me that I would NEVER make it through college... I used them as the fuel to one day tell them. Fortunaty they all died before I had the chance to tell them all to eat shit.

On the healing part and being called a Doctor. Trust me.... i have spent the last 7 years in Academia “HEALING” all the students with the messed up crap education that you all have sent your kids to. I am amazed at how little they have been taught and just how slanted the teachings were. So yes.... I am “Healing” them every day in class and ahowing them that true education is not from books written by slanted authors but is a life lesson learned everyday in many different fashions.

She gets the same amount of respect as the left showed Milania. ..... not much

Reactions: hlee