• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Job Interview Question

Done Vida

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2012
Tennessee
I have been in night school for a while and I had my first job interview today for what I have been studying. I am sitting in the company owner's office and we are going through the interview and he asked, "What are your hobbies?" "What are you into?" Last week I was in the same company's HR person's office talking with him and notice a piece of .50 bmg brass sitting on his monitor stand. I asked about it and he told me that every quarter they have company "challenges" and the reward for this particular one was that the company paid for each employee that completed the challenge a couple of shots. The employee's could buy more if they wanted them. Pretty awesome I thought. So when the owner asked I listed a few other hobbies, but also told him I enjoyed shooting sports. He asked about what kind and we had a small side conversation about me getting into precision rifles and having my first rifle built. Normally I would not mention this hobby on an application or in an interview but it seemed to go over ok. So my question is how do you guys feel about mentioning this hobby to potential employers? Stay away from it with a 10 foot pole or let them know up front? Does it just depend on the situation? Or does the gun hobby fall under the religion and politics rule? I will find out by Wed. if they are going to make me an offer. I guess I'll know then if this was a good idea or not.

Vida

Situational awareness.

In this situation you are aware the interviewer is gun comfortable, probably friendly. Id use it. In a different situation, perhaps not.

Interestingly enough, I learned that for certain interviews, the interviewer may not ask this question about hobbies or what the person does in his spare time. I always saw it as a way to get the conversation flowing and was rather inconsequential other than to help two people get a bit more comfortable talking to each other before the technical questions came about. I think this may only apply to federal jobs, but I thought it was interesting. Now you raise a good point on why this question may not be allowed. I could see some employers definitely becoming biased based on what you said, but given the situation and the discussion up to that point, I think your judgment was fairly astute. Also, depending on how much you need the job, if a guy won't hire you because you mention that you are into target shooting, then you probably don't want to work for the guy because he is probably of limited imagination and intelligence.

I don't think I would want to work for a company that wasn't comfortable with my interest in firearms. Given my occupation, it's probably easier for me to make that statement than it would be for someone in a different line of work.

When the small company I work for rewrote the employee handbook a few years ago, they tried to ban firearms in personal vehicles on company property. I told them flat out that I wasn't going to abide by that rule. They changed the handbook. LMAO.

My hobbies include reading industry related journals and I enjoy staying abreast of advances in our field. Only crazy people and paranoids own guns.

I always ask prospective hires about their hobbies. I don't like hiring guys without grease under their nails, as I have a pretty poor opinion of engineers who can't work on the stuff they design. People that work on guns typically fit this profile pretty well.

With regards to how to handle this particular situation, I'd be honest with an employer if asked about my enjoyment of shooting sports, and if there was a way to work in an aspect of shooting that somehow relates to the employment opportunity (perhaps some technical aspect, or maybe personal traits such as patience and discipline), by all means attempt to use this opportunity as another way to demonstrate your suitability for the position.

When you interview in the firearms industry your hobby is usually a given. Most likely you will be asked what your favorite bourbon is or how big was the last deer you killed.

When you interview in the firearms industry your hobby is usually a given. Most likely you will be asked what your favorite bourbon is or how big was the last deer you killed.

Funny, when you are applying to work at a Bay Area biotech the question of favorite bourbon is likely to come up as well. But, no questions about shooting sports or hunting- except from the director of security...

My standard answer to "what are your hobbies" in a work situation is "anything outdoors" and if they press, I'll say hiking and camping. It is both truthful and politically correct.

Work is work, and I am only there to get a job done, not wade into the waters of potential controversy.

But if I saw a 50 cal casing on a desk, I'd figure the subject was fair game.

Simple answer - always be honest.

I would never hire someone that would lie to me, and I don't want to work for anyone that doesn't like what I say.

It's a 2 edged sword. Fight where you need to win. Accept the loss when you don't. Move on.

Simple answer - always be honest.

I would never hire someone that would lie to me, and I don't want to work for anyone that doesn't like what I say.

It's a 2 edged sword. Fight where you need to win. Accept the loss when you don't. Move on.

Depends on how much you need the job. If someone asks your hobbies and you truthfully answer scuba diving, slot car racing, flying kites, but omit LR shooting, its not in any sense of the word, a lie. Big difference and if you really need the job its a smart answer that just leaves out a controversial subject.

When the small company I work for rewrote the employee handbook a few years ago, they tried to ban firearms in personal vehicles on company property. I told them flat out that I wasn't going to abide by that rule. They changed the handbook. LMAO.

You never mentioned what line of work you do, but I assume it's a relatively small company?
Most corporations, no firearms, booze, etc.. on company property is the order of the day, company vehicles even stricter.

Since one of my vacation requests every year is a hunting trip of some sort, I would be honest as well. I think you should be fine as your observation led to a side bar conversation. If the guy has an empty piece of brass on his desk, he is either proud of it or baiting. I would go with proud.

When I'd interview for a new position, such questions would be answered with Scouting Leadership Training, Model Aircraft scratch building and flying, and Family Travel. All were true, and it is my belief that the shooting sports are not fair game for job interviews, resumes, and applications unless the job in question was deeply involved in gun sports. Even if the interviewer is sincere, and the 50BMG case is not a trap, you have no idea who else will read apps and resumes, or audit interview recordings, or what ulterior motives might be playing out between their ears.

There is no small proportion of folks in the recruiting sector who have no compunctions about denying opportunity to folks whose personal interests are in opposition to their own, and gun ownership is high on the list of subject where this applies. It's discrimination, plain and simple; cloaked in some manner of vague and incontestable bull. About all you ever get to hear is "The opening is filled".

Never give them another opportunity to crap on another gun owner. Some of those smiles you see are facades behind which vicious discrimination hides.

Never agree to having the recruiters converse with anyone at your current or past employment. You are your representative, not any or all of your coworkers, past and present. Anything discussed by anyone you work or worked with beyond your employment dates and rate of pay is an opportunity/grounds for defamation. When they do, you'll never know who said what. When you authorize contact, you're opening yourself up for lies, deceit, and malicious slander.

Greg

Last edited:
You never mentioned what line of work you do, but I assume it's a relatively small company?
Most corporations, no firearms, booze, etc.. on company property is the order of the day, company vehicles even stricter.

Yep. About 40 employees.

I was told their lawyer wrote the handbook, but the owners of the company had the final word.

I can think of no bigger red flag for a recruiter than "no, you may not talk to my current or former employers". Honesty is always the best policy.

"well, sir (or maam), i enjoy golfing, precision rifle & pistol sporting competition, along with harvesting large and small game. though a team player, i believe that these recreational activities are challenging and allow me to exercise my interest in enhancing the individual effort of each so that if ever called upon in my professional life to be a project lead, the very same virtues of patience, attention to detail, and the skill of executing each successfully can be employed and shared with the team to realize the goal of succeeding the task at hand".

"well, sir (or maam), i enjoy golfing, precision rifle & pistol sporting competition, along with harvesting large and small game. though a team player, i believe that these recreational activities are challenging and allow me to exercise my interest in enhancing the individual effort of each so that if ever called upon in my professional life to be a project lead, the very same virtues of patience, attention to detail, and the skill of executing each successfully can be employed and shared with the team to realize the goal of succeeding the task at hand".

Wish I would have memorized this before the interview

Vida

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

None of your business what my hobbies are.
My personal life has nothing to do with work.
If you want me to bring my personal life to work, I guess I can act like an asshole to everyone when my wife pisses me off, or I can leave that at home as well as my hobbies.

it depends, if they are going to be cocks about it then it may be better to know up front.

I can think of no bigger red flag for a recruiter than "no, you may not talk to my current or former employers". Honesty is always the best policy.

Having worked as a recruiter on Wall Street, I can tell you that the reasons most interviews end badly come straight from the mouth or pen of the interviewee. You answer questions directly and truthfully, and the best answers are the shortest ones, like "yes" and "no". The interviewee is entitled to privacy regarding their private life and past employment history. Your job title, salary, and employment dates are the extent of such permissible information. Otherwise, you like your current employment and employers, and are simply trying to obtain advancement. Your current career path is stagnant for reasons related to the economic downturn (which is true no matter what business you're talking about these days), and looking elsewhere in the field is the only viable option. Any reference to disagreement in the workplace will earn you a downcheck and an invitation to apply again in a few months. When you do, you will not get an interview.

One of my duties as a commercial recruiter was to take HR managers to lunch regularly and discuss with them how I could provide them with better applicants. That which I am attempting to convey here comes directly out of those conversations

If you'd rather work for a company that believes they are entitled to such information, by all means be honest and complete; just understand that your job performance and continued employment should not be judged by events that occur outside the workplace. That is none of their business, no matter how convincingly they might try you convince you otherwise. That's a basic tenet of employment law, with which you appear unfamiliar. Using such information, or your declining, respectfully, to disclose it, in any way detrimental to your employment status is grounds for a wrongful termination/harassment/discrimination lawsuit. They know this and depend on your not knowing it.

Tell them that you'll gladly discuss such information with fellow employees, but not until you are one. Until then what you say is essentially little different from posting such information on a billboard. It can't get you a job, it can only lose you the opportunity.

If it troubles you that they ask and you feel it's to your advantage to volunteer private information, you are mistaken. Interviewers cannot give you a job, all they can do is screen you out or pass you along further, closer to people who will try further to screen you out, before you get anywhere near anyone who can actually make you a job offer.

HR's responsibility in the recruiting process is to shield the supervisor who initiated the employment requisition from 'undesirable applicants' and provide them with a small selection of qualified applicants. It's a gauntlet, and you don't get anywhere near a job offer until you have passed it successfully. For every one who does, literally hundreds don't.

It matters not whether gun ownership is a good or bad thing to the folks managing this gauntlet; it is a controversial issue, and interviewees who display ties to controversy are deemed undesirable applicants. They don't want you to bring anything but a warm, health body, and an undistracted, pliant intellect to the workplace.

"My life is my work and my family. I really don't have any hobbies, my family keeps me pretty busy. What things do we do? Family things mostly. I could get into detail, but its actually pretty mundane, and I'd really rather keep this interview brief and to the point".

Never discuss guns in the workplace; all it takes is an HR complaint from a 'Nervous Nellie' coworker and you could be on the street by afternoon. This actually happened to me once. The instant you find yourself compelled to go on the defensive, you know the door comes next.

Greg

Last edited: