• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP .260 Rem barrel: small base or full length?

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
I just bought my 260 Remington barrel from JP, and I'm looking at what dies I need. I've seen some reports that JP barrels have really tight chambers and thus benefit from a small base die (this was in general, not necessarily a 260 rem barrel). Does anybody have any experience with this? If that's the case, I'll grab the Redding small base body die and use a type S neck sizer. Thanks!

I will also try to get though to their customer service and see what they have to say, but I hear they're hard to get on the phone these days.

If you start with new brass, and only shoot them through this gun, a sb die shouldn't be needed. Brass can't really grow bigger than the chamber it's fired from.
Now if you're using brass previously fired from other guns, get the sb. Just a Redding fl bushing die should suffice, take the guts out of it and you have a body die, in case you need to size a loaded round or two.
Another topic but, I like always having a neck bushing die for cases I load for, for putting neck tension back on cases that I've pulled bullets from, or to adjust neck tension, just way easier than re-lubing again.

If you start with new brass, and only shoot them through this gun, a sb die shouldn't be needed. Brass can't really grow bigger than the chamber it's fired from.
Now if you're using brass previously fired from other guns, get the sb. Just a Redding fl bushing die should suffice, take the guts out of it and you have a body die, in case you need to size a loaded round or two.
Another topic but, I like always having a neck bushing die for cases I load for, for putting neck tension back on cases that I've pulled bullets from, or to adjust neck tension, just way easier than re-lubing again.

Thanks. I called JP and they said they recommend small base but FL generally does the trick. I also chatted with a friend who has a JP 308 barrel and he said he has no problems with a full length sizer. I'm really excited to get this gun up and running but bullets and powder are predictably out of stock!